VWVortex.com - ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-28-2019 01:42 PM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Interesting: The Arteon comes standard with DCC.

From Car and Driver:

SE ($36,840)
      Adaptive dampers system
      Proximity-key entry
      Three-zone automatic climate control
      Forward-collision warning and automated emergency braking
      Blind-spot monitoring
      8.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality
      Heated power front seats

SEL ($40,990)
      Panoramic sunroof
      Remote start
      Nappa leather upholstery
      12.3-inch digital gauge cluster
      Adaptive cruise control

SEL Premium ($45,940)
      Heated steering wheel
      Paddle shifters
      Cooled front seats and heated rear seats
      Massaging driver's seat
      Power liftgate
      Premium audio system
      19-inch wheels
      I like the styling of this car based on the pics I've seen. It's probably the only VW I'd be interested in outside of the GTI/R. But those option packages are terribly arranged. I have to spend $46k if the only option I want is premium audio? None of the other features above the regular SEL are all the compelling. Will there be a sport package or additional engine options? Why would they limit paddle shifters to only the most expensive version? Hopefully there's some standalone options to better match the level of personalization that someone may want.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      03-28-2019 02:22 PM #202

From Car and Driver:

SE ($36,840)
      Adaptive dampers system
      Proximity-key entry
      Blind-spot monitoring
      Heated power front seats

SEL ($40,990)
      Panoramic sunroof
      Remote start
      Nappa leather upholstery
      Adaptive cruise control

SEL Premium ($45,940)
      Heated steering wheel
      Paddle shifters
      Massaging driver's seat
      Power liftgate
      Premium audio system
      19-inch wheels
      I'm glad VWoA has very low expectations for sales volume. No doubt this car has a lot of presence, but I think much like the Phaeton, once you wander too far into Audi pricing territory, US customers with that budget are going to step up to a higher brand almost every time. If VW wants to get US customers in these seats, they better be willing to throw incentives behind lease deals.
      Last edited by oidoglr; 03-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-28-2019 02:52 PM #203
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I like the styling of this car based on the pics I've seen. It's probably the only VW I'd be interested in outside of the GTI/R. But those option packages are terribly arranged. I have to spend $46k if the only option I want is premium audio? None of the other features above the regular SEL are all the compelling. Will there be a sport package or additional engine options? Why would they limit paddle shifters to only the most expensive version? Hopefully there's some standalone options to better match the level of personalization that someone may want.
      VW has been doing this for a long time now.
      and i agree with you 100%

they need to go back to packages that can be added, instead of trim levels that are just offered with specific upgrades.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 04:43 PM #204
      I can buy a 6 speed Accord Sport 2.0T right now for around 25K...Just saying. This is overpriced. Camry V6 with all bells and whistles would still cost less. Where is the appeal at this price point ?

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-28-2019 04:52 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I can buy a 6 speed Accord Sport 2.0T right now for around 25K...Just saying. This is overpriced. Camry V6 with all bells and whistles would still cost less. Where is the appeal at this price point ?
      The Passat is their Accord fighter, this is a completely different car in a higher price bracket. It's more of an Acura fighter with a VW badge... in spite of the fact that they have Audi.

Yes, the Passat is old, the refresh is going to be based off of the old car and we all know that's a sad situation (even if it makes sense for them) but there it is. I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense if you're looking for a mid-sized car on the cheap end the Passat will be there, but if you want luxury/style/whatever the Arteon brings to the table, there's that. It just costs a lot, but I suppose the idea is that you won't see your car's twin at every other intersection. Dunno.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 05:07 PM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The Passat is their Accord fighter, this is a completely different car in a higher price bracket. It's more of an Acura fighter with a VW badge... in spite of the fact that they have Audi.

Yes, the Passat is old, the refresh is going to be based off of the old car and we all know that's a sad situation (even if it makes sense for them) but there it is. I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense if you're looking for a mid-sized car on the cheap end the Passat will be there, but if you want luxury/style/whatever the Arteon brings to the table, there's that. It just costs a lot, but I suppose the idea is that you won't see your car's twin at every other intersection. Dunno.
      So this is going to be faster, better handling and have a significantly better interior than something like the 25K Accord Sport 2.0T? Exterior styling is a wash to me. Both look similar.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      03-28-2019 05:22 PM #207
      So this is going to be faster, better handling and have a significantly better interior than something like the 25K Accord Sport 2.0T? Exterior styling is a wash to me. Both look similar.
      With the VW you'll get more of that exclusive dealership experience. A LOT more.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      03-28-2019 05:23 PM #208
      Do you think you can really get a new 2.0T Sport Accord for $25k?

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 05:32 PM #209
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      Do you think you can really get a new 2.0T Sport Accord for $25k?
      Me, personally ? Maybe 25K is a stretch but probably not hard for anyone to grab it for 27-28 around here. They are way overstocked and not selling very well. Nobody wants a stick. Dealers at first tried the "rare" approach, now we are at please take this off my hands so it doesn't sit on the lot for more weeks. They were advertising 1.5T CVT at 25,999 not too long ago and that was still negotiable.
      Last edited by MonsterM; 03-28-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 05:44 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      With the VW you'll get more of that exclusive dealership experience. A LOT more.
      37K MSRP ? That better be a VR6 with AWD standard. All I am saying.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 05:46 PM #211
      Me, personally ? Maybe 25K is a stretch but probably not hard for anyone to grab it for 27-28 around here. They are way overstocked and not selling very well. Nobody wants a stick. Dealers at first tried the "rare" approach, now we are at please take this off my hands so it doesn't sit on the lot for more weeks. They were advertising 1.5T CVT at 25,999 not too long ago and that was still negotiable.
      Well, a likes to likes comparison has the 2,0t with 10spd AT for $31k. If you're getting that for 25k, more power to you. There must be a reason no one is buying them.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      03-28-2019 05:48 PM #212
      Well, a likes to likes comparison has the 2,0t with 10spd AT for $31k. If you're getting that for 25k, more power to you. There must be a reason no one is buying them.
      TrueCar in my zip has the avg transaction at just under $28K. I'm not giving them my email address for their so-called "TruePrice".
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 05:56 PM #213
      Fair enough, that is still 6 grand less on paper. I smell a Phaeton version 2.0 with this pricing. Take into consideration that the sedan market is not doing so well and there are some seriously good cars for less, like the Stinger. This will be cross shopped from anything like the Accord 2.0T, which is excellent and heavily discounted already to real sport sedans like the Stinger, which are again priced below this thing. Pricing the GLI @ around 25K is brilliant (no matter how ugly it is). Pricing this at 37,000 for @ entry level ? Market suicide IMO but I hope I am wrong and wish them the best.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 05:58 PM #214
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      TrueCar in my zip has the avg transaction at just under $28K. I'm not giving them my email address for their so-called "TruePrice".
      Maybe like I said, 25K was a bit of a stretch but I do know someone that sells these things and 27,000 for 6 speed 2.0T is realistic with some patience.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 06:24 PM #215
      Fair enough, that is still 6 grand less on paper. I smell a Phaeton version 2.0 with this pricing. Take into consideration that the sedan market is not doing so well and there are some seriously good cars for less, like the Stinger. This will be cross shopped from anything like the Accord 2.0T, which is excellent and heavily discounted already to real sport sedans like the Stinger, which are again priced below this thing. Pricing the GLI @ around 25K is brilliant (no matter how ugly it is). Pricing this at 37,000 for @ entry level ? Market suicide IMO but I hope I am wrong and wish them the best.
      I mean that's all fine and dandy, but why haven't you also brought up the TLX? That car STARTS at $33k with a wheezy 2.4L 4-cyl with 200hp! The version that more closely competes with the Arteon is....$36k. The Volvo S60 comes with 250 hp and starts at...$36k. If you want an Accord competitor from VW, you get the Passat. There's a reason that VW has not linked the Arteon with the Passat---it's the next step up from the brand. This isn't really like the Phaeton at all--$36k isn't foreign territory for a VW sedan or wagon. And they aren't doing anything with the Arteon that that haven't done before. It's just the best looking vehicle the brand currently sells (or, will sell) in the US.

Will this fly off the shelf like the mass market options? Probably not. But this isn't really being brought over as a volume offering. It's for people that want a VW that offers a more traditional european experience with a VW badge. And frankly, I'd take the Arteon all day long over an S60 or all but the highest spec TLX. So do I think the Arteon will drive better than an Accord or Camry. No doubt. Will it get a faster lap time than those? Who knows. Who cares? Non-Americanized VWs have always felt better to me than the Asian competition that most people seem to group it with.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 06:56 PM #216
      I mean that's all fine and dandy, but why haven't you also brought up the TLX? That car STARTS at $33k with a wheezy 2.4L 4-cyl with 200hp! The version that more closely competes with the Arteon is....$36k. The Volvo S60 comes with 250 hp and starts at...$36k. If you want an Accord competitor from VW, you get the Passat. There's a reason that VW has not linked the Arteon with the Passat---it's the next step up from the brand. This isn't really like the Phaeton at all--$36k isn't foreign territory for a VW sedan or wagon. And they aren't doing anything with the Arteon that that haven't done before. It's just the best looking vehicle the brand currently sells (or, will sell) in the US.

Will this fly off the shelf like the mass market options? Probably not. But this isn't really being brought over as a volume offering. It's for people that want a VW that offers a more traditional european experience with a VW badge. And frankly, I'd take the Arteon all day long over an S60 or all but the highest spec TLX. So do I think the Arteon will drive better than an Accord or Camry. No doubt. Will it get a faster lap time than those? Who knows. Who cares? Non-Americanized VWs have always felt better to me than the Asian competition that most people seem to group it with.
      Really? TLX? Something that is about to be replaced. Volvo ? Do they still make them . Passat is a sad joke in comparison to the Accord Sport. European experience, is this a joke? You can probably lease a 3 series for the same price. The only REAL european experience left is the "emblem", and this thing surely doesn't have it.

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      03-28-2019 06:59 PM #217
      37K MSRP ? That better be a VR6 with AWD standard. All I am saying.
      No more VR6, but the 2.0T in the Arteon is ~280hp and IIRC they are all AWD. I love my 3.6 VR6 but I don't think that lack of power will be a problem in the Arteon.

editOK, 268hp stock and there are FWD versions. But my initial assessment remains the same.
      Last edited by jddaigle; 03-28-2019 at 07:04 PM.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-28-2019 07:09 PM #218
      Isn’t the Arteon a direct replacement for the CC?!
      As such, it’s market position shouldn’t be so hard to understand.
      It’s the Maxima to the Passat’s Altima.
      It’s the Avalon to the Passat’s Camry.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 07:11 PM #219
      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      No more VR6, but the 2.0T in the Arteon is ~280hp and IIRC they are all AWD. I love my 3.6 VR6 but I don't think that lack of power will be a problem in the Arteon.

editOK, 268hp stock and there are FWD versions. But my initial assessment remains the same.
      The entry level spec is almost 37,000 USD MSRP...FWD and 268 hp, about 1,500 less than the starting price of a Gulia....A REAL RWD based sport sedan that looks stunning in comparison and at least has some sort of brand heritage to back it up. Then what about the Stinger...This, this is a 37k FWD based Jetta in most peoples eyes. I suspect the same fate as the Touareg and Phaeton. I can see a nicely spec FWD version for 28-30K making sense here but at nearly 40 grand, no way. This is 3/CLA/A4 lease country baby. Luxury sport means nothing without a pedigree and cheap lease deals.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      03-28-2019 07:13 PM #220
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Isn’t the Arteon a direct replacement for the CC?!
      As such, it’s market position shouldn’t be so hard to understand.
      It’s the Maxima to the Passat’s Altima.
      It’s the Avalon to the Passat’s Camry.
      It is a bit overpriced. Market will decide.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      03-28-2019 09:46 PM #221
      Maybe like I said, 25K was a bit of a stretch but I do know someone that sells these things and 27,000 for 6 speed 2.0T is realistic with some patience.
      Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      03-29-2019 09:39 AM #222
      Configurator is up (but some images aren't loading for me):

https://www.vw.com/builder/tab/trim/model/arteon/

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      03-29-2019 09:56 AM #223

From Car and Driver:

SE ($36,840)
      Adaptive dampers system
      Proximity-key entry
      Blind-spot monitoring
      Heated power front seats

SEL ($40,990)
      Panoramic sunroof
      Remote start
      Nappa leather upholstery
      Adaptive cruise control

SEL Premium ($45,940)
      Heated steering wheel
      Paddle shifters
      Massaging driver's seat
      Power liftgate
      Premium audio system
      19-inch wheels
      Configurator is up (but some images aren't loading for me):

https://www.vw.com/builder/tab/trim/model/arteon/
      Reviewing VW.com; there's five trim levels listed:
      - SE
      - SE 4motion
      - SEL 4motion
      - SEL R-Line 4motion
      - SEL Premium R-Line 4motion

From the articles above, it looked like 4motion was going to be an option for all trim levels, not standard once you moved up the chain. Did I misread (entirely possible), is vw.com not accurate, or did they perhaps reduce trim levels for this abbreviated sales year? I am most interested in a FWD SEL to get the options I want but to keep the price down.

Vehicles
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      03-29-2019 10:06 AM #224
      Pricing shows about a $7,500 to $9,000 gulf between equally equipped A4/5 and Arteon in MSRP.
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      03-29-2019 10:15 AM #225
      I mean that's all fine and dandy, but why haven't you also brought up the TLX? That car STARTS at $33k with a wheezy 2.4L 4-cyl with 200hp!
      You will be able to count the number of people who seriously consider cross shopping an Areton with a TLX on one hand. Entry level luxury badge buyers mostly don't care what motor is under the hood. They want the brand, features and the "prestige" of being seen in that marque. The Arteon could make world class cappuccino while doling out prostate massages and communicate to every red light on a driver's commute to turn green, and most luxury brand drivers wouldn't look twice just because it has a VW badge on it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast