VWVortex.com - ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P [non-R] & Subaru Legacy '15 for sale
      07-29-2019 06:40 PM #326
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      [...]You've only had your a few weeks now, what are your pros and cons so far?
      The dealer swap in late June was merely financial/contractual, not physical, as the vehicle had only just then left the factory.
      Arrived at port a couple weeks ago, and at the local dealer last week -- taking delivery on Wednesday this week.

Here's what I wrote up for a friend recently based on the test drive:

Arteon likes:
      • Very rare combination of all-wheel-drive in a sedan with sufficient rear seat legroom for adults along with 60/40 rear seat fold-down plus center pass-through, with additional cargo capacity and versatility via hatchback design (that still looks and feels like a sedan). So the only direct competitors (at any price point) are Audi A7 (@ ~2x the price!) and Opel Insignia (unfortunately badge-engineered by Buick, as the Regal Sportback).
      • Overall driving performance that seems just about right for my tastes (i.e., half-step or so up from a Subaru Legacy, but not a wannaba hot rod like the Kia Stinger), and overall cabin comfiness is fine (i.e., not a stiff low ride like the Stinger).
      • Lots of tech (especially in the SEL-Premium trim), whether for safety, practicality, and/or just plain fun.
      • Lots of interior niceties (e.g., rear seat passengers get to control temperature on their vents), although no more opulent than the very highest trim line on a top medium-size sedan from the mainstream Japanese brands (but then again, this is a VW, not an Audi, so what else do you expect?).
      • Cargo area has room for a full-size spare … and the SEL-P even comes equipped with a full-size spare!

Arteon dislikes:
      • Cabin storage is really skimpy.
      • Rear passenger outlet is tastefully covered with a little flap … but is cig-style only, not USB?!?
      • Many (many) button blanks to remind you of all the options you didn’t buy … but even on the top trim line, where you did buy everything that was purchasable!
      • The incongruously retro analog clock is at best amusingly incongruous, although then again, I’ve gotten used to the prominently located hazard lights button in the same place on my Legacy (i.e., as if any second you might immediately need to hit that button!).
      • No wireless charging slot for a phone, although I personally don’t care since I just bought the cheapo Motorola Moto G7 Power for its crazy-long battery life (i.e., can go three days w/o charging). But strange to have this feature missing, since even the Buick Regal Sportback has it (and if you really want to complain about a purportedly luxurious car interior that is merely nice at best even in the highest trim line for AWD, then you really should check it out -- if you can find one anywhere...).
      • Although I don’t care much about having to pay extra for Premium and although I don’t care that much about mpg, I do miss the insanely long cruising range of my Legacy (i.e., could reliably go on eight-hour roundtrips without refueling and with still a buffer of about another hour of driving range).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-29-2019 06:45 PM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shefftz View Post
      The dealer swap in late June was merely financial/contractual, not physical, as the vehicle had only just then left the factory.
      Arrived at port a couple weeks ago, and at the local dealer last week -- taking delivery on Wednesday this week.

Here's what I wrote up for a friend recently based on the test drive:

Arteon likes:
      [LIST][*]Very rare combination of all-wheel-drive in a sedan with sufficient rear seat legroom for adults along with 60/40 rear seat fold-down plus center pass-through, with additional cargo capacity and versatility via hatchback design (that still looks and feels like a sedan). So the only direct competitors (at any price point) are Audi A7 (@ ~2x the price!) and Opel Insignia (unfortunately badge-engineered by Buick, as the Regal Sportback).[*]Overall driving performance that seems just about right for my tastes (i.e., half-step or so up from a Subaru Legacy, but not a wannaba hot rod like the Kia Stinger), and overall cabin comfiness is fine (i.e., not a stiff low ride like the Stinger).[*]Lots of tech (especially in the SEL-Premium trim), whether for safety, practicality, and/or just plain fun.[*]Lots of interior niceties (e.g., rear seat passengers get to control temperature on their vents), although no more opulent than the very highest trim line on a top medium-size sedan from the mainstream Japanese brands (but then again, this is a VW, not an Audi, so what else do you expect?).[*]Cargo area has room for a full-size spare … and the SEL-P even comes equipped with a full-size spare![/LIST]

Arteon dislikes:
      • Cabin storage is really skimpy.
      • Rear passenger outlet is tastefully covered with a little flap … but is cig-style only, not USB?!?
      • Many (many) button blanks to remind you of all the options you didn’t buy … but even on the top trim line, where you did buy everything that was purchasable!
      • The incongruously retro analog clock is at best amusingly incongruous, although then again, I’ve gotten used to the prominently located hazard lights button in the same place on my Legacy (i.e., as if any second you might immediately need to hit that button!).
      • No wireless charging slot for a phone, although I personally don’t care since I just bought the cheapo Motorola Moto G7 Power for its crazy-long battery life (i.e., can go three days w/o charging). But strange to have this feature missing, since even the Buick Regal Sportback has it (and if you really want to complain about a purportedly luxurious car interior that is merely nice at best even in the highest trim line for AWD, then you really should check it out -- if you can find one anywhere...).
      • Although I don’t care much about having to pay extra for Premium and although I don’t care that much about mpg, I do miss the insanely long cruising range of my Legacy (i.e., could reliably go on eight-hour roundtrips without refueling and with still a buffer of about another hour of driving range).
      Wow! Awesome write up and some good points made. Thanks for taking time to share here.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      07-30-2019 11:02 PM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Only cars that have strong demand can command a good resale value. This car appeals to such a niche market already.

One only needs to look at the CC to see how strong resale will be for the Arteon. You can get a fully loaded 2014-2015 3.6 4motion CC with 50k miles for ~$15k.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      07-31-2019 09:37 AM #329
      It looks like SEL cars are starting to hit dealerships. Cars.com is showing a total of 76 SELs across the country available now. Traditionally, the mid-level trim is the most popular, and most dealerships have had either SEs or SEL-P R-Lines exclusively. Sales could pick up a bit now that the cars with leather, digital cockpit, and sunroofs get to dealership lots.

I also wonder if they could skip the discounts all together and just lower the price of each model by $3500 - $5000. These cars are very "parts-bin" so I have to believe there is a ton of profit made for VW on every car. An SE with a $30 - $31K starting price would be a real bargain.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      08-06-2019 09:41 PM #330
      VW announced 2020 model changes today.

There's more information on VW's media site: https://media.vw.com/releases/1186

"Arteon

The 2020 Volkswagen Arteon is available in four trims: SE, SEL, SEL R-Line, and SEL Premium R-Line. The Arteon features the next-generation Car-Net telematics system and standard in-car Wi-Fi capability when you subscribe to a data plan. SEL models now feature standard 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, while SEL Premium models now feature standard 20-inch wheels and R-Line® content."

So they're eliminating all the "extra" trim levels. There was supposed to be SE, SEL, SEL-P as well as SE R-Line, SEL R-Line, and SEL-P R-Line in 2019 (I don't think all of those variations ever showed up at dealerships) and all were to have 4motion as an option, with SEL-P's getting it standaed. But for 2020, there's only 4 Arteon models if I'm reading this correctly:
      - SE (non-R-Line only)
      - SEL (non-R-Line)
      - SEL R-Line
      - SEL-P R-Line

So no more SE R-Lines (again, not sure if any 2019s actually were made), no SEL-P non-R-Line. 4Motion isn't mentioned, so not sure how that plays out.

This simplification makes sense. When they announced the Arteon it seemed like WAY too many variations for a niche model. I'd say they could make all Arteons R-Line models; the only difference is the front bumper, the wheel design, and some interior trim (headliner, mostly). I also think it would be an interesting value proposition and differnentiator to make 4motion standard on all Arteons.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-13-2019 04:47 PM #331
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      [...]There was supposed to be SE, SEL, SEL-P as well as SE R-Line, SEL R-Line, and SEL-P R-Line in 2019 (I don't think all of those variations ever showed up at dealerships)[...]
      All of these possible combinations have shown up in New England, although the vast majority of vehicles are still the original [and largely unsold!] allotment of SE and SEL-P R-Line.
      With just a very small number of exceptions, they're all 4Motion, although that could just be a New England thing (since selling a FWD of the Arteon would be really weird here, except for someone who spends winters in FL or just absolutely never drives outside during any winter weather).

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-13-2019 04:57 PM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      [...]I also wonder if they could skip the discounts all together and just lower the price of each model by $3500 - $5000. These cars are very "parts-bin" so I have to believe there is a ton of profit made for VW on every car. An SE with a $30 - $31K starting price would be a real bargain.[...]
      Aren't all cars "parts-bin" these days to some extent?
      (I was reading that even the Maserati Ghibli is based on a Chrysler 300 chassis, and uses some interior switches found on the ... Dodge Dart?!?)

Anyway, I do wonder if the, ahh, "aspirational" MSRP of the Arteon is an attempt to introduce "starting point bias" (as we say in economics) or if this has been a real disaster for VW giving out discounts of >$7k to buyers to like me.
      Seems like the high MSRP hasn't been helping VW since I keep reading all these reviews that ding the Arteon for its high MSRP compared to the competition (although almost always models that lack some combination of the Arteon's AWD, rear seat comfort, cargo capacity/flexibility), even though the reality of what people have been paying has been otherwise.
      (The recent Consumer Reports video was kind of funny since they brag about their discount, which was actually pretty paltry, although perhaps the video was recorded much earlier even though it aired only last week.)

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-13-2019 05:04 PM #333
      Wow! Awesome write up and some good points made. Thanks for taking time to share here.
      Currently partway through a crazy MA > DC > NY > NJ > MA for a combination of work, friends, family, work -- car now has 916 miles (which I can check on my phone, thank you CarNet app).
      Driving conditions have ranged from fast conditions on the Jersey Turnpike (76mph, or at least that's fast for me), to stationary 0mph traffic on interstates, to rush hour traffic in DC in weather so hot that when I took a sip from my water bottle when the car had been parked all day in an open lot that it felt so hot my mouth almost burned.
      Overall, wow, LOVING the car!
      Drawbacks are really minor.
      One major unanticipated plus is that the official mpg #s are a bizarre understatement: in normal highway conditions, driving 65 (when slowed down by traffic and/or or 55 zones) to 70/71/72 (65 zone, little or no traffic, and not given the NJ free-for-all on the Turnpike) I'm getting around 36mpg.
      Happy to address any q's anyone might have, and can write up a more formal review if there's any interest.

10. 08-13-2019 05:05 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shefftz View Post
      Aren't all cars "parts-bin" these days to some extent?
      (I was reading that even the Maserati Ghibli is based on a Chrysler 300 chassis, and uses some interior switches found on the ... Dodge Dart?!?)

Anyway, I do wonder if the, ahh, "aspirational" MSRP of the Arteon is an attempt to introduce "starting point bias" (as we say in economics) or if this has been a real disaster for VW giving out discounts of >$7k to buyers to like me.
      Seems like the high MSRP hasn't been helping VW since I keep reading all these reviews that ding the Arteon for its high MSRP compared to the competition (although almost always models that lack some combination of the Arteon's AWD, rear seat comfort, cargo capacity/flexibility), even though the reality of what people have been paying has been otherwise.
      (The recent Consumer Reports video was kind of funny since they brag about their discount, which was actually pretty paltry, although perhaps the video was recorded much earlier even though it aired only last week.)
      VW knew going in with the Arteon that they would sell similar to what the CC did and it's following that models pattern. The high price is soon discounted to move them.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-14-2019 12:09 AM #335
      VW knew going in with the Arteon that they would sell similar to what the CC did and it's following that models pattern. The high price is soon discounted to move them.
      No kidding, finding them already $5-10K off isn't too hard. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9274/overview/
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      08-14-2019 07:55 AM #336
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      No kidding, finding them already $5-10K off isn't too hard. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9274/overview/
      Man, I clicked the link and started scrolling through the pics and thought, “I keep forgetting how good looking this car is”. But then I see the interior (especially the dash and IP) and feel disappointment. The boring interior just lets the rest of the car down, IMO. It’s too bad that VW couldn’t produce something a little more dynamic.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      08-14-2019 09:18 AM #337
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Haha. There is rarely a thread discussing VW discounts without a link to a fake price listing from a DC area dealer. Now this thread has one.

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta S 5MT
      08-14-2019 10:02 AM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Haha. There is rarely a thread discussing VW discounts without a link to a fake price listing from a DC area dealer. Now this thread has one.
      Here are the discounts in Louisville, KY. https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/ne...Arteon&page=1\
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2019 10:05 AM #339
      Those KY discounts are pretty typical.

As for that DC-area dealer, for some amusement, check out the One Star reviews are various sites.

08-14-2019 10:39 AM #340
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Man, I clicked the link and started scrolling through the pics and thought, “I keep forgetting how good looking this car is”. But then I see the interior (especially the dash and IP) and feel disappointment. The boring interior just lets the rest of the car down, IMO. It’s too bad that VW couldn’t produce something a little more dynamic.
      I feel the same way. The interior is nothing special at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      08-14-2019 10:52 AM #341
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      It's a bummer that it couldn't get the new Touareg interior, but I guess chances are that it wasn't ready when this was unveiled 2.5 years ago.

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-14-2019 11:01 AM #342
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      The big issue for me is, apart from the digital cluster and bigger nav screen, far too much of the interior is almost directly lifted from my 2016 GTI. Which are fine in a car that was $29.5k OTD ($36.5k sticker). I'm not paying $45k to have the same basic bits staring me in the face.

Also, it's great that they all have cockpit adjustable dampers, but if I have to get the SEL-P to get the Dynaudio and most of the driver assist tech without any additional performance benefits, that's a hard pass.

Shame, because I really like the shape/form factor and the size makes sense as a potential GTI replacement in 1-2 years. But so does a CPO Audi S5 Sportback.

19. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-14-2019 12:11 PM #343
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Agreed. It's a shame such a good looking car outside can be so drab on the inside. I also looked at a bunch of them just now and couldn't help thinking

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

20. Member
      08-14-2019 12:22 PM #344
      I'm interested in one, but need to price to come down significantly.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      08-14-2019 02:49 PM #345
      I've been extremely happy with mine, going just over a month now - gets a lot of attention on the road for sure - the limited numbers they will sell should keep it a rare bird, which is one of the things I like about it the most. The other is that the fully loaded SEL Premium R-Line spec is quite thorough, with more tech and features than i could get into my Allroad for nearly $9K higher on the sticker...like-for-like equipment to a similarly equipped Audi model sails into the upper $50K region...but loads out at $47K on the Arteon, and the top spec models are consistently selling for $5,500 to $6,500 off sticker (there may be bigger discounts out there, some can be real and others are typical price-leaders).

I wish the interior came in other available colors except black, but I've been stuck with black interiors on my last 3 cars as there are rarely any other alternatives...so I can accept that - especially as I went for the much more extroverted exterior color. The touch screen and digital dash and controls are much quicker and more fluid than my Allroad was. Love the complete tunability of the suspension and various driving parameters, rather than just the presets I had in the Audi. And the Arteon is just huge inside. The A5 Sportback by comparison feels like a compact car - big difference in back seat room, and the cargo space in the Arteon with the seats up is larger than my Allroad wagon was. I can't compare how the lower or base models drive or feel, but the higher-spec models drive quite solidly, are quick, and the suspension can be nicely dialed in for GT style handling and cruising.
      _____
      Justin

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-14-2019 05:18 PM #346
      Well now that things have settled down with the replacement here are some thoughts:

2. Frameless windows don't go down when you unlock the doors/turn off the car like the CC did
      3. BLIS lights on the mirror housing instead of the glass, like Audis
      4. The heated/ventilated seat controls show redundantly on the main screen
      5. The foot activated tailgate with auto close
      6. Yellow color
      7. 1 Chrome key and 1 black key
      8. Brushed textured aluminum trim
      9. All led interior/exterior lighting
      10. Massaging driver seat

Dislikes:
      1. Wish there was a place to store the owner's manual. The glove box is too thin
      2. Wish there were rear kessy sensors on the rear handles
      3. Wish there was a lock button next to the auto close trunk button for locking upon closing trunk
      4. Wish the 360 cam defaulted in R
      5. Wish the window switches were the chrome trimmed ones
      6. Wish the valet function locked the rear seatbacks (seems pointless)
      7. Wish there was a better front plate mount option
      8. Wish the perforated nappa leather front seats matched the solid nappa leather rear seats
      9. Wish we had auto hold
      10. Wish you could switch between perp and parallel park assistant

23. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2019 05:41 PM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      [*]Wish you could switch between perp and parallel park assistant [/LIST]
      You should have both parallel and perpendicular. Press once for parallel, twice for perpendicular.
      _____
      Justin

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-14-2019 07:14 PM #348
      Quote Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
      You should have both parallel and perpendicular. Press once for parallel, twice for perpendicular.
      Funny- I noticed it says exactly that in the owner's manual. However, when I press it the second time it always has said "Park Assist Cancelled"

I do like (and have used it) for pulling out of a tight parallel spot. Apparently you can even have it pull into a perpindicular spot, which is silly.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2019 07:16 PM #349
      Mine has both modes...though I haven't used any of them yet. I just pressed the button to see if it worked. I always back into perpendicular spaces myself...and can do it a lot faster than the park assist...especially with the 360 view enabled which makes it a cinch to line up centered between the lines.
      _____
      Justin

26. Member
      08-14-2019 07:17 PM #350
      How is the massaging seat? Gimmicky or actually useful?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast