VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone using OBDEleven?

195K views 1K replies 128 participants last post by  Hawkeye9723 
#1 · (Edited)
Atlas OBDEleven adventure thread

I see the Ross-Tech thread but nothing I can find here on OBDEleven. Some info over on the Atlas FB group convinced me to order it from ECS...$80. Looks like I can get my compass this way, offroad display (but that sounds like it may cause other issues) as well as gauge sweep. Seems to be app driven/easy to use. Anyone here using it? What did you use it for? Go!

#343 ·
[mention]Zenia [/mention]good to hear no errors but the 2019 models don’t have self leveling headlights, so I doubt this change is going to work. Highway lights adjust up slightly when at 68mph or greater to extend the beam an additional 70 meters. Looking at the configuration of the 2019 headlights, it appears they are strictly projectors as the low beams are located under the piece that jets out in the middle to reflect off the housing. If it works I would be greatly surprised. Best way to test is to find a clear and open stretch of highway at night and see if the beams shoot out farther down the road. To give an idea from when this was coded on the Tiguan, the distance is close to when you have high beams on, but this doesn’t illuminate as high up as high beams do.

The only coding that I think may work from the Exterior Light section is Dynamical Low Beam. This feature increases the lumen output of the low beams when under 37 mph, which is before high beams would turn on for those that have auto beams aka high beam assist (HBA) or have coded that feature. I enjoyed this feature on my Tiguan in poorly lit suburban areas or country backroads that have high traffic and it also adjusts based upon ambient lighting. That way you didn’t have to keep manually turn high beams on and off when under 37 mph. Makes me think this feature should be turned on from the factory to compensate for the higher speed needed for auto high beam and since you can no longer adjust the speed in which auto high beam engages. My wife’s Q5 her auto high beam turns on at 25 mph and it drives me crazy VW has it set to 37 mph and it can no longer be changed. So Dynamical Low Beam is the compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zenia
#345 ·
I’ll take a look with my device connected, but Basic Settings is from my understanding a normal process for all modules by service techs to resolve potential issues. I’ve even ran Basic Settings on the driver side door module to fix a memory seat issue. I’ll test and report back.

#356 ·
Yea it’s nice! My Atlas doc is from my Tiguan mod doc and with AFS lighting you could enable things like Highway, City, Rain, predictive AFS, intersection lights and dynamical low beam. I’ll pull that out and when I get around to 4B coding, I’ll update the doc and with OBD11 screenshots. I imagine the only function you could implement is the dynamical low beam in 4B.

#369 ·
My OBD11 mod doc is specific to my SEL model, but would everyone like me to add features that I coded off of my SEL-P Tiguan that should easily translate to the SEL-P model Atlas due to being on the MQB platform?

Also are there any mods from my doc that anyone would like me to submit as a one click app to the OBD11 team?

#378 · (Edited)
The Single Side Parking Lamp (SSPL) feature is required in a number of European countries. It illuminates only a single low-wattage light bulb on the front and on the rear of the vehicle. No other exterior or interior lamps are illuminated. This is to save battery life, since the vehicle may remain parked for a few hours. The driver illuminates only the streetside bulb, and not the curbside bulb. This works for poorly lighted streets, alleys, and other parking areas. On many cars, the low wattage bulbs have now been superseded by LED’s.

🍺

#380 · (Edited)
I think default is 30 minutes if I recall correctly. I have it set to three hours, but yes it can stay on all night with the proper coding or using the energy management feature. You have to push your turn signal stalk in the direction you want in order to turn on and the car will provide a message on your dash that your parking light is on. Will provide a picture shortly, but if you ever wonder why there is a P for parking light on your turn signal stalk under the turn signal flasher this is the function.

I live in the DC area so there’s a lot of street parking and I street park at home on a poorly lit, narrow street with a quick bend. Also good for parking at the last spot of a garage where people turn. Helps with visibility.

Pic of dash message when using SSPL.

Reactions: ChefroA6
#388 ·
Somehow, I think we have gotten off the topic of OBDEleven. It was not my intent to have a discussion on the requirements for European market cars, but here is my brief take. There are a number of required features on Euro cars that are not required in the US. Features such as rear fog lights, city lights, side repeater signals, amber rear turn signals, single side parking lamps, height-adjustable headlights, etc., are normally found on cars sold in Europe, but often not on US cars. I think the responsibility for those features falls on the manufacturer, not the consumer. I think the Euro features are required in some countries, but not others. But, I am not a legal expert on this.

The last car I exported to Germany was about 10 years ago, so I do not remember exactly what the new owner had to complete to make it TÜV compliant. It was an older vehicle, so he was able to get a waiver for some things.

In terms of legal requirements for using the “Euro features”, I am sure this varies by country. I have heard of a visibility standard that requires the use of the rear fog light(s). I have no idea how (or if) this is enforced. Likewise, I do not know when it is mandatory (or not) to use the SSPL feature.

OK, back on to the original topic for me.

🍺

Reactions: Reihenmotor5
#415 ·
I don’t have folding mirrors so doubt it’ll be present in mine, but I’ll check. Poke around a bit, maybe search for part of the search strings.

Reactions: 2011CWGTI
#433 ·
Slightly off topic. I disable the Automatic Start/Stop 100% of the time I am driving the Atlas. It is my opinion it creates additional wear on the starter motor, the engine, and the fuel injection. But, I have no documentation to support my opinion.

When starting the Atlas, I use the following work flow:
1. Start button for engine.
2. Disable button for Automatic Start/Stop function.
3. Heated seat button(s).
4. Sound system button.
By using this work flow, my hand starts at the center console, and presses successive buttons working up the middle of the dashboard. Maybe this will help somebody else?

OK back on topic with OBDEleven....

🍺

#454 ·
Yay, it worked! We have 10 colors to pre-set for the 2019 Atlas. Below is the link to the video with Ambient Colors feature enabled:

I also changed the dash theme.

#456 ·
Nice! I might give it a shot. I have the GTI tube display with the golden matrix dots.

#461 ·
[mention]KarstGeo [/mention]nice and appreciate you got a video of the brake light mod! Wish I could get one of mine but no easy way to grab one in my area.

Reactions: KarstGeo
#462 ·
[mention]KarstGeo [/mention]nice and appreciate you got a video of the brake light mod! Wish I could get one of mine but no easy way to grab one in my area.

I have a few great "test tracks" I use for various things which is nice to have!

#488 ·
Yea and if you find it doesn’t take even without a pop up it’s good to try the hood trick.

Reactions: bboshart
#501 ·
Wow… I suppose I’m not entirely surprised but a little disappointed. I guess it makes sense from a business sustainability view since the paid 1-touch apps can all be avoided with long coding or adaptations. Though if they don’t get this SFD thing figured out and/or add more vehicle brands their days may be numbered anyway.

I’m glad I’m already a Pro user though. Interesting that they are giving 48hr notice but at the same time the subscription model doesn’t start for another 2 weeks? Perhaps you got advanced notice as their web site makes no mention of the change.

Thanks for the post [mention]Reihenmotor5 [/mention]as I didn’t get this notice myself but my guess is that I will in the coming days.

Cheers…
DoC

#525 ·
Hell yeah! Thank you and thank you again for putting up that document. You included a lot of things that I didn't even think of and because of that, I love my Atlas even better. You can adjust in your document the ambient lights to verified (2019 SEL Premium with digital dash 2.0). I have done it a couple of weeks ago and added 10 colors and changed my digital dash and menu color to light gray.

#532 ·
Yea that’s the only one I’ve seen and it is possible that the Carista one listed is for the standard analog dash. I’ve had the digital dash in my former Tiguan and Atlas and I just recall seeing Compass Top, Compass Bottom as options that I wanna say is related to coding that is included for getting Traffic Sign Recognition enabled. Never looked further for left or right as an option, but my gut tells me this left, right option may be for standard analog gauges.

Reactions: kocyk123
#539 ·
[mention]Zenia [/mention]I’ll reach out and ask, but I can’t make any promises. I’ll keep you posted over DM.

#543 ·
Ah. Here you go. Dash control unit...long coding. I dicked with it and it does move it around but I can't remember how/details. Try it.