Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation/Addition Project: 1931 Tudor

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-06-2018 05:45 PM #1
      We've owned our 1931 Tudor for just under 8 years now. It's about 975sf on the main floor, with 2br/1ba, living, dining, and small L-shaped kitchen. The basement is mostly unfinished, with the exception of one cool bedroom built in the ~1940's. It also contains a 10x16' garage in one corner (complete with original coal chute and door).

The home has some really nice original details (leaded glass windows with stained glass inserts; mahogany trim; top-nailed oak floors; rough coat plaster; original handmade tiles in the bathroom; cove ceilings) that haven't been destroyed through 80+ years of 'updates'.

Front of house...just because

While the house is mostly okay for two humans, it presents a number of limitations:
      -No outdoor living space (patio or deck). This stinks given our beautiful summers.
      -No main floor guest bedroom. This is becoming a bigger issue with aging parents/relatives who cannot negotiate our terrible staircase. Plus, our one guest bedroom only has a single bed (by design).
      -Only a single bathroom. Fine for two people that don't get up at the same time; terrible if you ever have a guest.
      -No home office: My spouse works from home quite a bit, and the dining room table just isn't awesome for that.
      -Limited storage space in the kitchen: It was partially redesigned by the prior owner who clearly biased form over function.

Initially, we looked at selling and moving--but quickly realized how financially challenging that would be. So, with the help of a good friend and extremely talented architect, we are doing the following:

-Finishing out the basement into a master bedroom, 2nd bathroom, walk-in closet, laundry room, and repurposing the existing garage into a media room
      -Building a new garage onto the rear of the home, with a deck on top
      -Redesigning the existing staircase, flipping its orientation (stealing the closet of the 2nd bedroom, which is built over the lowest point of the existing stairwell) and giving us a much better, safer set of stairs
      -Closing off the existing stairwell door in the kitchen, allowing us to build a new set of floor to ceiling cabinets that also relocate the fridge and oven, making the kitchen work better
      -Breaking out and replacing the basement slab, giving us a bit more ceiling height + a true thermal break
      -New HVAC, electrical, plumbing, reline the sewer, new insulation in the attic...I know I'm forgetting stuff.

Project kicks off 4/2. I'll update when I can if people are interested. There will be a lot of interesting challenges--one of them being our home is only set back 6' from each of our neighbors' homes, making certain tasks challenging.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-09-2018 at 03:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-06-2018 05:52 PM #2
      Current basement (please excuse the mess--we're in the midst of purging/packing):

Current back yard (garage is sadly sans a Boxster anymore ):

Proposed new structure:
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      03-07-2018 01:03 PM #3
      Looks like a big project, but one that will be very nice and useful in the end.

Love the design for the garage and deck.

Looks like you have a good amount of basement space to work with. Combined with the deck it should make a big difference in living space and utility. I like the exterior green color of your house, too.

Are you going to do anything with the lally columns? I have them in my (finished) basement, which is a smaller space than yours, and I can't stand them because they make furniture and TV placement tough. I know there are solutions to remove them and replace with a steel beam but I'm scared to make a structural change like that. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing and please keep doing so if you have the time. Sometimes it can be difficult to undergo a big renovation AND document it, but it is fun to see. I've been thinking about starting a thread for my house, too. No way near the scope of what you're doing but I've done my fair share of projects on it already. When you're in the middle of a project and it seems endless, sometimes viewing others' work helps re-inspire to get motivated again. At least it does for me.

Good luck!
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-07-2018 02:07 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post

Are you going to do anything with the lally columns? I have them in my (finished) basement, which is a smaller space than yours, and I can't stand them because they make furniture and TV placement tough. I know there are solutions to remove them and replace with a steel beam but I'm scared to make a structural change like that. Just curious.
      Thanks for the feedback.

The entire basement slab is being demoed and replaced, and the house will be seismically retrofitted. As part of that the columns will be replaced, and buried in a wall that will run the length of that beam. (The beam will be cut in three places and tucked up between the main floor joists to accommodate full height doors for the laundry room, bedroom, and closet.)

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 5500, '15 1500, '98 5.3L TJ, '01 DT466 4700LP
      03-14-2018 04:29 PM #5
      Wow that's going to be incredible when you're finished.
      The architect loves to simply replace that beam with a new one that's just tucked up in there & joist hanger all the floor joists. The old tablecloth trick. It's easy anybody can do it.
      Ok I got 2 things, a whole bunch of bad ideas is better than no ideas. So take this with a graind of salt... The deck height looks like it'll end up right next to and slightly below your neighbors deck, I'd bring that side wall up full height so as not to be in the shade of their sunsetter... The other thing is I'd spin the exterior stair. Where the concrete walks up I'd want a slow grade to a downstairs door under the deck (where the old garage door was), and then spin 180° to walk up the stairs to the deck, unless maybe you're specifically not putting a downstairs door there since it'll be master bed/bath layout inside. It's too much, it needs the switchback IMO. It does push the stair further out & block any chance of a downstairs view though I guess.
      TLDR... subscribed.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-14-2018 05:23 PM #6
      Thanks for the thoughts!

The city is requiring us to step the North wall of the addition back 1'5", so it won't be quite so close to the property line. The back yard faces due east, so all direct sun will be off the deck by ~2:00pm anyway; they have the shade for morning sun as that is off their kitchen (and it gets pretty brutal in the seating area directly inside when it's hot out--no AC).

Regarding the stairs--I'll raise that question with our architect. To clarify, though--the new garage will encompass a good deal of the width of the existing basement garage, and will have an interior door to the room that is being built where the existing basement garage is now (a media room). So there won't be an exterior entrance to the garage other than the main door off the alley. With the change to the North wall setback, it's not certain that the design as visualized below will still have an exterior door from the media room; still waiting for final drawings.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-14-2018 05:24 PM #7
      Forgot to mention:

Got our permit approval this morning.

Demo begins the week of April 2nd.

Vehicles
      2006 Honda Ridgeline
      03-15-2018 12:46 PM #8
      Love the design of that new garage and deck. Excited to see the project underway!

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-15-2018 02:19 PM #9
      Are you going to keep the current garage space as well so a 2-car tandem? Or repurpose the original garage to "living space" and have the new garage be the only garage?
      iain

Vehicles
      88 Audi 90 2.0 20V HX35, 94 Audi 90 V8, 78 GMC High Sierra, 03 TDI and some bicycles
      03-16-2018 08:31 AM #10
      Wow that is going to be awesome, in for updates.

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-21-2018 11:09 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Are you going to keep the current garage space as well so a 2-car tandem? Or repurpose the original garage to "living space" and have the new garage be the only garage?
      We thought about going tandem, but the existing garage is so narrow (10'x16'--our Bolt EV *barely* fits, and you can hardly open the doors) it wouldn't work well. No way to add width as it's at least 18" lower than the rest of the basement + the room directly adjacent is finished and I won't alter it (it's too old-school cool).

We also decided that it'd be better for both our use and for future resale to re purpose the existing garage as finished SF. It's going to be our media room.

Vehicles
      '91 911, '14 SQ5
      03-29-2018 08:20 PM #12
      Looking forward to seeing progress! Please update with pictures as you go along.

Always lament the fact there isn't a garagejournal for houses.

So this should be fun to follow!

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-02-2018 09:33 PM #13

And we are out!

Demo should begin late this week. Giddy up.

15. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      04-08-2018 12:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Demo should begin late this week. Giddy up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-09-2018 06:28 PM #15
      ...except it hasn't yet.

Waiting on a final bid from the HVAC contractor which will allow the GC to get us a final contract for review/signature. Hoping that happens by EOD today...fingers crossed.

Here are a couple of additional photos of some of the detail areas:

This is the 2nd bedroom that is becoming the office. The double windows will be replaced with the French door to the new deck

This is the stairwell that will be replaced

This is the wall/door being replaced by new floor/ceiling cabinets, new French door fridge and oven
      Last edited by Numbersix; 04-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-13-2018 02:12 PM #16
      Updated contract (finally) reviewed/signed today. Demo begins Monday.

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-17-2018 01:36 AM #17
      This junk showed up today. Looks like I should have something to show y’all by Friday...

19. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-23-2018 08:34 PM #18
      Not quite Friday, but progress has been made:

Basement/garage slab is fully demoed, asbestos (original ducting insulation) has been remediated, ductwork has been removed, half of the original ‘granny strip’ driveway has been removed.

Found that the footings for the foundation walls only extend down below the slab about 3.5” (at max) so now we are debating whether we underpin the footings to gain some more ceiling height. It’s not a cheap prospect, but would likely make the space feel more liveable (as well as improving resale).

Stay tuned for the next installment.

20. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2001 Audi S4, 1988 16v Scirocco
      04-25-2018 10:26 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

21. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-25-2018 11:12 AM #20
      Update: Although it'd be nice, we aren't digging down. Quote came back 2.5x what our contractor thought it'd be. I'm starting to question our sanity for doing this right now given how bat**** crazy our construction market is here.

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-03-2018 07:32 PM #21
      5/3 update:

More progress. Basement slab demoed, rough plumbing completed for bathroom (needs to be done before slab is poured). Furnace/water heater removed. Stairwell removed. Oil tank dug up; will likely be removed tomorrow.

Made some decisions today about he main supporting wall (going to remove the current beam and make it a load bearing wall, allowing for full height doors) and how to run ductwork for the new zoned heat pump system downstairs (upstairs air handler will be in the attic).

Oh, and our beautiful stellata magnolia was removed. Had to be done, but seeing it gone hurts a bit.

New whip parked up in the existing garage

Shame we won’t have this much ceiling height when it’s done! You can see the trench into which the new deep footer will be poured that will support the new bearing wall (replacing the existing beam).

Plumbing for the future bathroom. Foreground is drain for sinks that will be in the wall; background is for toilet/shower.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-19-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      05-17-2018 06:17 PM #22
      more updates please!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 5500, '15 1500, '98 5.3L TJ, '01 DT466 4700LP
      05-19-2018 08:28 AM #23
      Balls deep #6 there's no turning back now!

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2018 04:29 PM #24
      Yes, there is truly no going back.

Updates:
      -Slab is poured, including a 14” thick section under the new base plate of the bearing wall replacing the center support beam (removing the beam = gain needed headroom for full height doors). Slab has a thick layer of gravel and 4” hard foam insulation underneath for a thermal break. Much better than the rat slab that was in place previously (which was 1” thick in spots). We will have a full 7' of headroom down there, which was my minimum acceptable number.
      -Seismic retrofit is done
      -Framing has started (interior framing should be done by early next week)
      -Old stairwell is removed
      -Windows/doors arrived last week. Will likely start installing he basement units this coming week.

Now the not so good news (but not unexpected): the in ground oil tank leaked, so we have a remediation to deal with. Unknown on how many tons of soil will have to be pulled out yet. That’s slated for Wednesday of this coming week. Once that’s complete they can start the foundation work for the new garage.

We also have decided to replace the main water line from the city service, and are having the original sewer scoped in the next week or so. I anticipate we'll need to have that relined, too, as it's 80+ year old concrete.

If we do the sewer, once we are done the only piece of infrastructure left that will require updating is the roof. Electrical, HVAC and hot water, all supply and waste plumbing, windows, kitchen appliances, seismic, deck, even the garage door opener will all be new. Oof. Guess we'll be staying here for awhile...

Old garage wall exposing the knob and tube

Missing stairwell, new stair riser mocked up

Temp walls in place; you can see where the old beam was

Terrible photo of the new bathroom plumbing

Framing for the new closet door (in the center). It’ll be cool to see it all framed out and get a better sense of the space on a week or so.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-19-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      05-21-2018 01:38 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

Now the not so good news (but not unexpected): the in ground oil tank leaked, so we have a remediation to deal with. Unknown on how many tons of soil will have to be pulled out yet. That’s slated for Wednesday of this coming week. Once that’s complete they can start the foundation work for the new garage.

Old garage wall exposing the knob and tube
      Ugh oil tanks are a giant PITA.

On the knob and tube, this photo illustrates why knob and tube is actually a very safe system if its not modified. The conductors are spaced far apart from each other so there is little chance of them arcing. the main issue with knob and tube is that there is no ground, and people chop it up, an make it much worse.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast