VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Automatic Wipers Retrofit Success

41K views 128 replies 40 participants last post by  blassus 
#1 · (Edited)
For those with Climatronic[emoji768] dual-zone automatic climate control 2018 LWB Tiguan’s it is possible to add automatic wiper function. I replaced the humidity sensor located between the interior mirror and front windshield with part number 8U0-955-559-B or revision “C” which includes the “eyes” for the rain sensing function. No other changes needed via Vag-Com or VW scan tool. It took about 10 minutes to install and works perfectly. I will admit I did a little bit of a happy dance even though it did cost about $165. This should have been installed from the factory on my SEL.

Edit: Thanks to “antsman12” for finding my mistake in the original post and updating with the correct part number! Correct number is 8U0-955-559-B or revision C as updated in write up!

Edit: Thanks to JSWTDI09 for install note [emoji846]
When you are removing the old sensor, you first have to release the 2 spring hooks on the sides of the sensor. This is pretty easy with a small straight screwdriver.
What nobody has mentioned yet is that there is a clear rubber like adhesive between the light sensor and the windshield. You have to pry the old sensor out and it takes more force than you might think. The new sensor should come with fresh adhesive on it. Make sure that you get the old adhesive off of the windshield before you install the new sensor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
For those with Climatronic[emoji768] dual-zone automatic climate control 2018 LWB Tiguan’s it is possible to add automatic wiper function. I replaced the humidity sensor located between the interior mirror and front windshield with part number 5Q0955559B which includes the “eyes” for the rain sensing function. No other changes needed via Vag-Com or VW scan tool. It took about 10 minutes to install and works perfectly. I will admit I did a little bit of a happy dance even though it did cost about $165. This should have been installed from the factory on my SEL.

Wonder if it's the same effort for the SE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
The sensor is behind the mirror and two pieces of trim. Unclip the sensor wire. The trim pieces (which are tricky to come a part) the top trim you push inward and up. The bottom trim you pull outward and it pops out. The mirror is a quarter turn. The sensor has 2 clip points which requires a small screwdriver to separate and pull from the gel. Install new sensor no need to replace the gel. I will scan the install tomorrow and post.

#7 ·
im looking forward to the DIY steps...this is a must have feature on any trim SE and above!

#10 ·
socialD, thanks for the write up. I am excited to add this to my SEL. This is a feature I use all the time on my 02 Passat and one I thought should have been standard on the SEL. I was wondering with the rain sensor installed, what position do you put the wiper stalk to make them work. Is it the intermittent position? and if it is, does the intermittent wiper dial on the top of the stalk still work? Also, where did you buy your rain sensor 5q0955559b?
Thanks again.

#11 ·
I was wondering with the rain sensor installed, what position do you put the wiper stalk to make them work. Is it the intermittent position? and if it is, does the intermittent wiper dial on the top of the stalk still work? .
Yes it’s the intermittent position, the dial adjust sensitivity.

Also, where did you buy your rain sensor 5q0955559b?
Thanks again.
I work for a dealer but any VW dealer would order. Yes the 5Q0-956-596-B is what I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I installed the rain sensor (part # 5Q0955559B) and the rain sensor works fine, no fault showing in the dash. However , after running a scan using my OBDeleven I got 2 fault code; 1 for the air conditioning "Databus Missing message" and the 2nd for the Central Electrics "Humidity sensor". I did a live scan and it's basically saying "no humidity sensor", so I removed the sensor and compare it to the sensor that was originally installed in the car (part # 8U0955559). I found that the connectors are the same setup. However, the opposite end is made different as a result I compared part 8U0955559B (with rain sensor) and the opposite end is the same as 8U0955559 (without the rain sensor). With that said I came to the conclusion that 8U0955559B is the correct part for the 2018 MQB Tiguan. I was able to order 8U0955559B from the Audi dealership for $213.00, once received I will install the part run a scan and provide and update.

PS; I have pictures of both sensor. However, I don't know how to load them to the site.

#19 · (Edited)
A little embarrassing you are in fact correct, i believe I was using my Alltrack vin by accident when looking for the rain sensor part number! I went to my dealership this morning and the part number was a 8U0-955-559. I also scanned using the factory scan tool and there was a fault for the humidity sensor. We had the 8U0-955-559-C in stock and it worked fine with out showing any faults.
Thank you again for pointing this out!

#27 · (Edited)
They will be used for setting sensitivity of the sensor. First position from the left is for the least and all the way to the right would be maximum. I usually am 2 clicks from left to right. You can look in the owners manual as well for further explanation.
Also, (not sure why) if you start your Tiguan and it’s raining you have to manual start the wipers (this is the same in my Alltrack that came with auto sensing wipers), I usually just move the sensitivity one click and back to the original position.

#29 ·
I also ordered the rain sensor from the link earlier in the thread. Mine matches the pics above exactly. I ordered on 4-1-18 and received it on 4-16-18. Not bad from China. I installed it today and everything works great. A great upgrade for $38 and no coding. I had to splash some water on the window to make sure it worked. Now I will look forward to a rainy day drive to really give it a test.

#30 ·
I also ordered the rain sensor from the link earlier in the thread. Mine matches the pics above exactly. I ordered on 4-1-18 and received it on 4-16-18. Not bad from China. I installed it today and everything works great. A great upgrade for $38 and no coding
. I had to splash some water on the window to make sure it worked. Now I will look forward to a rainy day drive to really give it a test.

Not sure how this is going to look. First time posting pics with Tapatalk

Side by side photo is to compare new rain sensor on left to the humidity sensor that was removed.

Second pic shows the sensor removed from the plastic holder it comes in.

#31 ·
It took me forever (like 5 minutes)to figure out that I was supposed to take the sensor off the bracket... luckily I figured it out before I scratched or broke anything.

I ended up reusing the old gel onto the new sensor. Didn’t want a random rattle that could have been avoided.

Tested it with the water hose at the house and it’s all good to go.

40$ and a 3 week wait is well worth it.

#34 ·
... just In case the “cheap” part fails
In an attempt to avoid "cheap parts", I ordered mine from Europe for slightly more money. Anyway, I received a 8U0.955.559.C version. Can someone with access to ETKA tell me whether or not there is any significant difference between the "B" and "C" versions that I should be aware of? It looks the same but it came packaged in a clear plastic protective case instead of the dark plastic ones in the pics above. I can post pics later tonight after I get home.

Have Fun!

Don

#36 ·
I just installed this new sensor today. There is one note that probably should be added to the instructions that have been posted so far in this thread.
When you are removing the old sensor, you first have to release the 2 spring hooks on the sides of the sensor. This is pretty easy with a small straight screwdriver.
What nobody has mentioned yet is that there is a clear rubber like adhesive between the light sensor and the windshield. You have to pry the old sensor out and it takes more force than you might think. The new sensor should come with fresh adhesive on it. Make sure that you get the old adhesive off of the windshield before you install the new sensor.
Other than this, it is a pretty straight forward installation. It took me less than half an hour and it would be a lot quicker if I did it again.

Have Fun!

Don

#37 ·
I’ll be sure to add your comments, thank you for sharing. The factory sensor I purchased through my dealership did not include a new gel pad. Typically the existing gel can be reused several times when removing sensor.
Glad this worked for you!

#38 · (Edited)
I’ll be sure to add your comments, thank you for sharing. The factory sensor I purchased through my dealership did not include a new gel pad. Typically the existing gel can be reused several times when removing sensor.
Glad this worked for you!
As stated above I got a -C sensor instead of a -B. It came with a clear plastic protective cover and a fresh "gel pad" installed. I am glad because my old one got damaged a bit in the removal. Anyway, this is how my sensor arrived.

Back side:

I did not take it out of its protective case until I was ready to mount it.

Have Fun!

Don

#41 ·
Yesterday it did something very unusual in Las Vegas - it rained! I can now officially verify that the automatic rain sensing wipers works perfectly. Just swap the sensor and wait for the rain (or just pour a little water over the sensor). No coding or other changes required.

Have Fun!

Don

#42 ·
Great mod! Adding this to the list. I will probably only do this if we find a way to enable auto rain closing windows via VCDS. That is one of my favorite easter eggs on my 2008 .:R32.

Thanks for finding this guys!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#55 ·
I did mine this last weekend. Thanks to all the notes in this thread it went great. It's going to nice having that work for all the rain we get in the PNW. I did notice that there was no foam bits between the metal bracket an the sensor on the one I bought so I added some. Other that it was an easy rip and replace. Thanks all.

#57 ·
I have an SE and I installed both the auto dimming mirror and the rain sensor. I did have to run a new wire from the mirror to the headlight switch. Therefore I can tell you that my SE was not pre-wired for the mirror.

Have Fun!

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.