VWVortex.com - Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser ? It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser ? It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!

02-08-2020 11:23 AM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Short wheelbase is short!

Anyone have a guess as to the actual measurement?
      I don't want to go through the math but if anybody does, the size of the tires should already be known so measuring the pixels of the wheel size and then scaling that to all other dimensions should give pretty accurate estimates. In general however I think it's supposed to be just slightly larger than a Wrangler in both 2 and 4 door configurations.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '13 392, '90 Miata, '11 Wrangler
      02-08-2020 06:01 PM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I don't want to go through the math but if anybody does, the size of the tires should already be known so measuring the pixels of the wheel size and then scaling that to all other dimensions should give pretty accurate estimates. In general however I think it's supposed to be just slightly larger than a Wrangler in both 2 and 4 door configurations.
      Disclaimer: Take with salt.

One of the /r/cars regulars said the rumor is that the 4-door will have a 112-inch wheelbase. I just did some photoshop silliness with the 2-door shots and from my best guess, it looks like its wheelbase is approximately 90". That would be a 22-inch difference if the 4-door rumor is true.

For context, a JL Unlimited has a 118.4-inch wheelbase; a 2-door checks in at 96.8. That's about a 21-inch difference.

Seems plausible.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      02-08-2020 06:10 PM #378
      Quote Originally Posted by ByronLLN View Post

One of the /r/cars regulars said the rumor is that the 4-door will have a 112-inch wheelbase. I just did some photoshop silliness with the 2-door shots and from my best guess, it looks like its wheelbase is approximately 90". That would be a 22-inch difference if the 4-door rumor is true.

For context, a JL Unlimited has a 118.4-inch wheelbase; a 2-door checks in at 96.8. That's about a 21-inch difference.

Seems plausible.
      Early Broncos are on a 92" wheelbase for reference. Even the Defender 90 was on a 93" wheelbase. 90 is really short.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-08-2020 06:43 PM #379
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Early Broncos are on a 92" wheelbase for reference. Even the Defender 90 was on a 93" wheelbase. 90 is really short.
      It’s 4.5” shorter than my Bug, so yeah, that’s pretty short!

I can’t imagine it being shorter than 94-95” or so, but what do I know?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

02-09-2020 10:31 PM #380

Seems plausible.
      I guess I could see how that makes sense. If the Bronco is the same external dimensions as the Wrangler, a shorter wheelbase would mean worse approach and departure angles, which generally we always expect anything to have worse angles than the Wrangler.

7. 02-10-2020 08:05 AM #381
      I guess I could see how that makes sense. If the Bronco is the same external dimensions as the Wrangler, a shorter wheelbase would mean worse approach and departure angles, which generally we always expect anything to have worse angles than the Wrangler.
      Wrangler is stuck with a layout having the front axle way out front, due to clearance requirements around its solid front axle. This doesn't have that restriction, and has the engine and front wheel centerline in a more conventional relationship, and makes better use of available space.

Vehicles
      02-10-2020 04:04 PM #382
      And keep in mind this was photoshop measurement, which is not in any way to be construed as accurate. I could easily be several inches off, plus the Reddit guy could be full of it.

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      02-10-2020 04:55 PM #383
      Does Ford have a manual trans that would fit on that SWB version or do we think this will be auto only offerings?
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

10. 02-10-2020 05:02 PM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      Does Ford have a manual trans that would fit on that SWB version or do we think this will be auto only offerings?
      The 10 speed automatic is really long, and surely that's going to be the one used here. If that fits then surely the length of a manual transmission won't be an issue. Whether they actually make that available or not, is of course quite another matter.

Vehicles
      02-10-2020 05:03 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I don't think fitment will be the real obstacle to a manual. I could see it going either way.

Jeep sources a 6MT from Aisin for the JL so there are definitely gearboxes out there small enough to do the job.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-10-2020 05:12 PM #386
      Just checked Wiki and in Mexico the Ranger's 2.5-liter 4-cylinder comes with the Mazda M50D 5-speed manual; the 3.2-liter/5-cyl diesel has the Mustang's (polarizing) MT-82 6-speed.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      02-10-2020 05:19 PM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      the 3.2-liter/5-cyl diesel has the Mustang's (polarizing) MT-82 6-speed.
      The JK Wrangler's 6-speed was a bucket of dead jellyfish with a big rubber plunger in it. In other words, I don't think the MT82's reputation is going to matter one iota.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-10-2020 06:02 PM #388
      The JK Wrangler's 6-speed was a bucket of dead jellyfish with a big rubber plunger in it. In other words, I don't think the MT82's reputation is going to matter one iota.
      now you're making me all nostalgic

Vehicles
      02-10-2020 06:07 PM #389
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      now you're making me all nostalgic
      My JK is my DD. It's not such a warm fuzzy when you live it on a regular basis.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-10-2020 06:15 PM #390
      Yeah, kind of like how you only hear about crunchy synchros in Civics from people who power shift them, I doubt the average Bronco owner's gonna be slamming gears all the time.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      02-13-2020 03:56 PM #391
      A longer teaser video released today:

Definitely something fancy going on with the front shock assembly:

02-14-2020 10:38 AM #392
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Definitely something fancy going on with the front shock assembly:
      Looks like a remote reservoir shock. Nothing shown in videos is ever on accident, so we were meant to see that. I look at what Chevy did with the Colorado ZR2 and suspect that Ford figures they would be leaving money on the table if they didn't offer a high end package as well. Even beyond the Colorado ZR2 Bison, Chevy offers a ton of even more upgraded suspension parts for the ZR2. So it's possible these are standard, or standard on a high trim level, or will be part of the in-house aftermarket catalog they're developing to go along with the Bronco. In fact I said ZR2 but most likely they would be looking at all the Mopar parts available for the Wrangler that you can buy/finance and have installed at a Jeep dealer in terms of what to copy. One way or another, it's amazing how capable factory vehicles are getting compared to the old days when you had to go 3rd party aftermarket for everything.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 5500, '15 1500, '98 5.3L TJ, '01 DT466 4700LP
      02-14-2020 10:46 AM #393
      all the Mopar parts available for the Wrangler that you can finance
      So true...

20. 02-14-2020 10:58 AM #394
      Looks like a remote reservoir shock. Nothing shown in videos is ever on accident, so we were meant to see that. I look at what Chevy did with the Colorado ZR2 and suspect that Ford figures they would be leaving money on the table if they didn't offer a high end package as well. Even beyond the Colorado ZR2 Bison, Chevy offers a ton of even more upgraded suspension parts for the ZR2. So it's possible these are standard, or standard on a high trim level, or will be part of the in-house aftermarket catalog they're developing to go along with the Bronco. In fact I said ZR2 but most likely they would be looking at all the Mopar parts available for the Wrangler that you can buy/finance and have installed at a Jeep dealer in terms of what to copy. One way or another, it's amazing how capable factory vehicles are getting compared to the old days when you had to go 3rd party aftermarket for everything.
      When the new Ram and Wrangler were released, it was something like 200+ Mopar accessories that can be added to your truck or Jeep to make it yours.

And i went through this when i bought my truck years ago. Running boards? They had 7 options to pick from and they would install them! (wife required them as she is only 5' tall)
      Boiler Up!

02-14-2020 12:25 PM #395
      Trucks and offroaders are the new enthusiast vehicles. 20 years ago when the sport compact market was still hot you could barely find any of the hot cars without mods of some kind. Even my daily driver Civic back then I at least had different wheels on and my autocross one was fully modified. Nowadays all the fully modded vehicles are trucks and offroaders. I say offroaders because I don't really consider things like the Wrangler and Bronco to be SUVs, even if that's what their shape is. Further, it somewhat covers the rise of both dedicated and street legal side by sides, all of which have massive customization catalogs right from the dealers before even discussing the aftermarket for them. I honestly think offroading today is bigger than just about any other onroad enthusiast market has been in the past.

Vehicles
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      02-14-2020 01:51 PM #396
      Trucks and offroaders are the new enthusiast vehicles. 20 years ago when the sport compact market was still hot you could barely find any of the hot cars without mods of some kind. Even my daily driver Civic back then I at least had different wheels on and my autocross one was fully modified. Nowadays all the fully modded vehicles are trucks and offroaders. I say offroaders because I don't really consider things like the Wrangler and Bronco to be SUVs, even if that's what their shape is. Further, it somewhat covers the rise of both dedicated and street legal side by sides, all of which have massive customization catalogs right from the dealers before even discussing the aftermarket for them. I honestly think offroading today is bigger than just about any other onroad enthusiast market has been in the past.
      i would agree with this ! in colorado at least i don't think there is any bigger market than the offroad enthusiast market(currently). So many tire/wheel - basic 4x4 shops that keep popping up around here. Reminds me of the early 2000's with all the tuner shops and stereo shops that came and went...

I think the influx of SXS's booming right now has a big part in it. Now that the big 3 japanese manufacturers are in the sxs game i think it's really a great time for the sxs world !

As a long time off road fan - i'm pretty excited to see where it goes. KOH had something like 60,000 people in attendance this year - i'm guessing over that, judging from the views of hammer town via drones,heli footage.

Ford sponsoring KOH this year was also huge.

I won't be a buyer of this bronco but it looks like it will sell well and hopefully compete with the colorado zr2 , rubicon jeeps, etc of the off road factory ride world.
      Last edited by Kevin RS; 02-14-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-19-2020 08:15 PM #397
      Take Your First Look At The 2020 Ford Bronco's Taillights
      https://jalopnik.com/take-your-first...ght-1841796317

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516