VWVortex.com - My B4V TDI Syncro Build Thread (for Posterity of course)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My B4V TDI Syncro Build Thread (for Posterity of course)

Vehicles
      BEW & ALH Beetle TDI's, 96 B4V Syncro/Haldex swap TDI on Bags, Pair of B3 Wagons VR and 16v
      12-15-2018 09:47 PM #26
      I did think about doing plug welds on the driveshaft yoke but decided against it. The factory did a friction-stir butt joint at this location and that was true for the Audi TT shaft as well. The welding I did is far greater than what they did so I figure it'll hold. If not I'll certainly fix it when it breaks!

I got the rear bolted in and driveshaft on. Also installed the new rear air bags. Busy day tomorrow with angle drive swap, front bag struts, alignment, bleed brakes, fabricate new false floor. I deleted the rear seats and installed my stereo and air stuff in the seat cavity. Pictures tomorrow..
      I am Lord of The Crab People, bow to me.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      BEW & ALH Beetle TDI's, 96 B4V Syncro/Haldex swap TDI on Bags, Pair of B3 Wagons VR and 16v
      12-17-2018 10:42 PM #27
      Damn work getting in the way of fun! Gotta head out to Montana for a few weeks for a rush-job. I slammed the car back together just enough to drive it into the garage for safekeeping. I left the exhaust off and the air management scattered in the back. Also left off the front driveshaft because I ran out of time today. I fitted the new 17/27 angle drive last night and planned on finishing most of it today but the call came really early this morning. Oh well, at least she's back on bags and the rear wheels aren't cambered all to hell.

B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      B3 Pewter GLX Wagoo, MK3 2.0 Jetta (Retired: MKV TSI GTI, B6 FSI, B5 1.8T Wago, MK3 VR6 Jetta)
      12-19-2018 03:26 PM #28
      Epic work!

Whats going to happen to that B3 of yours?
      skrrrrt

"Horrible era to buy anything with a VW badge on it....I’m convinced that all VW plastic parts were manufactured out of dried toothpaste."

Vehicles
      12-20-2018 10:10 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthcheetah View Post
      Epic work!

Whats going to happen to that B3 of yours?
      Its hanging around until the B4 is sorted. I put about 1k miles on it running around getting parts and whatnot until this Montana thing happened. After that I will put it back on the market maybe? Its such a good driving car and looks unreal I start having 2nd thoughts..

I will be doing this Montana fiasco for probably 4 weeks (my airbnb is until January 18th). I think I only have 1 or 2 more solid days of work to do on the B4 (not including vinyl wrap). If you are still in the market I wouldn't hesitate to drive the B3 to Indiana. I also leave a car in SC for my seasonal work there and that old tdi Beetle is getting rough. I might possible drive the B3 out and leave it.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      B3 Pewter GLX Wagoo, MK3 2.0 Jetta (Retired: MKV TSI GTI, B6 FSI, B5 1.8T Wago, MK3 VR6 Jetta)
      12-21-2018 11:30 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GreasySideDown View Post
      Its hanging around until the B4 is sorted. I put about 1k miles on it running around getting parts and whatnot until this Montana thing happened. After that I will put it back on the market maybe? Its such a good driving car and looks unreal I start having 2nd thoughts..

I will be doing this Montana fiasco for probably 4 weeks (my airbnb is until January 18th). I think I only have 1 or 2 more solid days of work to do on the B4 (not including vinyl wrap). If you are still in the market I wouldn't hesitate to drive the B3 to Indiana. I also leave a car in SC for my seasonal work there and that old tdi Beetle is getting rough. I might possible drive the B3 out and leave it.
      I'm glad you're enjoying it! I pulled the trigger on that low mile one from up north. After some rust work, hopefully it will be as clean as yours.

After seeing your work on the B4, I'm excited to see what might happen in the B3's future.
      skrrrrt

"Horrible era to buy anything with a VW badge on it....I’m convinced that all VW plastic parts were manufactured out of dried toothpaste."

Vehicles
      12-22-2018 10:21 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthcheetah View Post
      I'm glad you're enjoying it! I pulled the trigger on that low mile one from up north. After some rust work, hopefully it will be as clean as yours.

After seeing your work on the B4, I'm excited to see what might happen in the B3's future.
      I do have an extra 02C case, 20/21 angle drive, and 02C rear diff with a couple spare viscous couplers. All I need is a rear beam and I have the makings for another Syncro project. By doing the B4 I've figured out how to make my own axles and driveline so really all I need is the rear beam.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      02-01-2019 03:59 PM #32
      Back from butthole Montana and spent the meat of this week working on the wagon. She's done!! I had to build a new subwoofer box and re-engineer the air suspension crap to get the stock rear floor panels to fit. I used a hazard switch out of a MK3 for my Haldex-on switch. It is installed in place of the e-brake light on the dash.

Crappy cell video of the 1st time all 4 wheels spun.
      https://youtu.be/b29ZaG_mVFA

Stay tuned for some ice/snow hooning.

B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      02-03-2019 09:13 PM #33
      And now cleaning out the garage! Need Syncro parts? I have 2 good viscous couplers, a good rear differential, and a 20/21 angled drive. Parts anyone?

Some snow shots from today:

Last edited by GreasySideDown; 02-04-2019 at 08:23 PM.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      02-06-2019 01:17 PM #34
      Little bump update.
      Been driving the car as much as possible and thankfully it snowed a lot a few days after I got the car finished. We've been tearing it up on Mt. Hood and boy is this car a blast to drive! The TDI really puts the torque down and the car is like a little rocket on the ice. This is how VW should have made these things from the beginning. I'm very glad I went down the Haldex path, having a pushbutton AWD makes sense to me since I like controlling every aspect of my car. Now if I can get my wife to video the car...
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

11. 02-06-2019 01:51 PM #35
      Wow, your car is really nice, you should be very pleased with your build. Your next job should you choose to accept it is to fly to AZ and perform your magic on my B4 VR6 wagon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      02-09-2019 02:05 PM #36
      I'm on it!
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

13. 02-09-2019 06:28 PM #37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      02-26-2019 11:16 AM #38
      Michelin Xi3 snow tires are the bomb! Did a 6 hr road trip to Eastern OR to find the good stuff. Car goes lower but it's sitting on the snow in this pic. Trolled some locals into thinking we were stuck and they fell for it! So much fun!!

B4 Haldex TDI Build

15. 04-04-2019 07:33 AM #39
      Sweet ride. I've built a few syncros over the years. In fact I might be getting this one back shortly. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...yncro-vr-wagon

Vehicles
      04-08-2019 01:34 PM #40
      The Haldex is the way forward for these cars. Hey, if you have an extra rear beam I sure could use it. I'm getting another cherry B3 wagon this week and it needs some 02M/BEW/Haldex action.

Edit next day: Won the auction!

Last edited by GreasySideDown; 04-10-2019 at 10:50 AM.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

Vehicles
      04-10-2019 02:56 PM #41
      Some random pics I found on my phone. I need to get a picture of the fuel tank. I took it out back in Feb. and sliced a wedge out of the back of it so it slopes up and is nearly invisible from the back. Much tidier looking.

The rear setup. Sway bar was added later

MK1 Rear Bag setup fits perfect for Syncro

Filler neck build. Didn't find pics of the ano red cap tho.

Random weld shot
      Last edited by GreasySideDown; 04-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
      B4 Haldex TDI Build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12