VWVortex.com - Uber pulls self-driving cars after first fatal crash of autonomous vehicle
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber pulls self-driving cars after first fatal crash of autonomous vehicle

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      03-19-2018 03:10 PM #1
      Sorry if repost.

Uber has removed its self-driving cars from the roads following what is believed to be the first fatality involving a fully autonomous car.

A self-driving Uber SUV struck and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Arizona, Sunday night, according to the Tempe police. The department is investigating the crash.

A driver was behind the wheel at the time, the police said.

"The vehicle involved is one of Uber's self-driving vehicles," the Tempe police said in a statement. "It was in autonomous mode at the time of the collision, with a vehicle operator behind the wheel."

Autonomous mode means the car is driving on its own. During tests, a person sits behind the wheel as a safeguard.

Uber is conducting tests of autonomous vehicles in Arizona, Pittsburgh, Toronto and other areas. Uber said it has stopped testing the vehicles throughout the United States and Canada.
      CNN

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-19-2018 03:13 PM #2
      Was just about to post this. It was only a matter of time.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      '19 IGM e-Golf SEL-P | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL-P
      03-19-2018 03:14 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Sorry if repost.

CNN
      so what was the human doing?....

do they have cameras on those cars? Tough to assign blame without knowing if the ped came from out of nowhere.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Touareg TDI Execline R-Line / '18 MB B250 4MATIC / '19 Smart EQ
      03-19-2018 03:22 PM #4
      Interesting. CNN headline basically says person dies in accident involving self-driving car.

Jalopnik headline basically points to murder committed by the vehicle: https://jalopnik.com/uber-pauses-all...ede-1823891483
      Yarp or narp?

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-19-2018 03:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post

do they have cameras on those cars? Tough to assign blame without knowing if the ped came from out of nowhere.
      I'm sure there were cameras but if you were Uber would you release the footage? I think they'll probably hold onto it unless there's a court order demanding otherwise. Certainly there will be in the upcoming law suit, but who knows if it'll go public.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

7. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-19-2018 03:24 PM #6
      Self driving tech =/= no deaths, just reduced deaths. It could be the pedestrian walked out in front of the Uber at last minute (exiting a bus then walking in front of the bus and crossing the street for example) and the Uber just didn't have enough time to stop. Halting all autonomous cars is just a precautionary move until they understand what's going on.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      03-19-2018 03:31 PM #7
      It begins.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-19-2018 03:33 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Self driving tech =/= no deaths, just reduced deaths. It could be the pedestrian walked out in front of the Uber at last minute (exiting a bus then walking in front of the bus and crossing the street for example) and the Uber just didn't have enough time to stop. Halting all autonomous cars is just a precautionary move until they understand what's going on.
      If that's the case and the human driver also would not have had time to react, then it is possible that the autonomy hardware can be found to not be at fault here. If that is found, I don't see this hampering autonomous driving tech, at least from Uber's perspective. To save face, however, they will lose ground in dealing with this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-19-2018 03:33 PM #9
      https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...rash-overnight
      TEMPE - Tempe police are investigating a deadly crash involving a self-driving Uber vehicle overnight.

The crash occurred near Mill Avenue and Curry Road around 10 p.m. Sunday night.

The Uber vehicle was reportedly headed northbound when a woman walking outside of the crosswalk was struck.

The woman, identified as 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg, was taken to the hospital where she died from her injuries.

Tempe Police says the vehicle was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and a vehicle operator was also behind the wheel. No passengers were in the vehicle at the time.

An Uber spokesperson told ABC15 they are aware of the incident and are cooperating with authorities.

They released the following statement: "Our hearts go out to the victim’s family. We are fully cooperating with local authorities in their investigation of this incident."

Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi also acknowledged the incident on Twitter:

Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona. We’re thinking of the victim’s family as we work with local law enforcement to understand what happened. https://t.co/cwTCVJjEuz
      — dara khosrowshahi (@dkhos) March 19, 2018

Uber has paused self-driving operations in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto, which is a standard move, the company says.

The police investigation is still active, and the National Transportation Safety Board also tweeted Monday that they will be investigating.

Uber began testing self-driving cars in Tempe in February 2017. The fleet of self-driving Volvos arrived in Arizona after they were banned from California roads over safety concerns. Gov. Doug Ducey touted Arizona as a testing ground, saying at the time in a written statement, “Arizona welcomes Uber self-driving cars with open arms and wide open roads.”

One of the self-driving cars was involved in a crash a month later, after a car failed to yield to the Uber vehicle and hit it, authorities said. The self-driving SUV rolled onto its side as a result crash.

There were no serious injuries were reported in that crash.
      Close to ASU perhaps...I was working with a competitor operating in the area for a few months, so it hits close to home. If something happens, the whole fleet shuts down. I wonder if others followed as well. I would hate to see some friends be on the news for such unfortunate news because when I drove, my observation was that there are some crazy drivers and folks on the streets there when you go outside of Chandler.

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      03-19-2018 03:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      Reportedly not in a crosswalk, so Jaywalking. I have mixed feelings about this. I never want to see a pedestrian get hit, but I'm also sick of idiots scurrying across the street whenever and wherever they feel like it.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

12. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-19-2018 03:41 PM #11

I think I found the spot....
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4365...7i13312!8i6656

Now they're saying she was crossing the road without using the crosswalk but there's another nuance to that area which can be tricky for a self driving car. Look at the bike lane how it goes from solid/on the side of the road to essentially crossing one lane of traffic as a right turn only lane opens up. I'm wondering if her "crossing" that lane (but ultimately staying within the bike lane) is what confused the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      03-19-2018 03:47 PM #12
      Now they're saying she was crossing the road without using the crosswalk but there's another nuance to that area which can be tricky for a self driving car. Look at the bike lane how it goes from solid/on the side of the road to essentially crossing one lane of traffic as a right turn only lane opens up. I'm wondering if her "crossing" that lane (but ultimately staying within the bike lane) is what confused the car.
      Interesting. It's plausible. We'll have to wait for the video.

There's also a sign right across that road from that storm drain. Seems that questionable pedestrian habits were common in this location.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      03-19-2018 03:47 PM #13
      Google: We've gone 10 years without a fatal autonomous vehicle accident
      Uber: Hold my beer

That being said, I know that this was bound to happen, but that it has happened with Uber is just either pure dumb luck or a testament to the corners they cut in all areas of their business.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      Mine:2014 VR6 Passat SEL Hers: 2017 Tiguan S 4Motion
      03-19-2018 03:52 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Reportedly not in a crosswalk, so Jaywalking. I have mixed feelings about this. I never want to see a pedestrian get hit, but I'm also sick of idiots scurrying across the street whenever and wherever they feel like it.
      Yeah that's how I read the article as well. Pedestrians have the right away in AZ I believe, but wouldn't they have to be in the actual cross-walk? If she was in the cross-walk would the car sensors have picked her up? Was the person who was killed under the influence when crossing? A few years back I remember reading that a lot of people who kill pedestrians and jay-walkers rarely face charges. I wonder what will come of this.

That being said it is a sad situation and I feel for the woman who lost her life. Especially if she has children and/or grand-children.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      03-19-2018 03:53 PM #15
      This is not good.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      03-19-2018 03:57 PM #16
      In other news is that pedestrians now wait for a crossing line rather than acting like they are immune to large weighted objects in motion because they have the right of way.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SE 4M, 2010 GTI, 2001.5 Passat, 2010 Civic, 2006 Pilot
      03-19-2018 03:59 PM #17
      The driver never saw the cyclist.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      03-19-2018 04:05 PM #18
      Skynet drew first blood.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      03-19-2018 04:08 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      In other news is that pedestrians now wait for a crossing line rather than acting like they are immune to large weighted objects in motion because they have the right of way.
      This could be a serious road block to high level autonomous vehicles in a dense city center where pedestrians & cyclists constantly break traffic rules and ignore common sense.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Touareg TDI Execline R-Line / '18 MB B250 4MATIC / '19 Smart EQ
      03-19-2018 04:14 PM #20
      This could be a serious road block to high level autonomous vehicles in a dense city center where pedestrians & cyclists constantly break traffic rules and ignore common sense.
      This may be true, but a person could argue that our existing high-level autonomous traffic officers (now called traffic lights) have already failed in protecting pedestrians and cyclists from their apparent death wish(es). As a society, what more are we obligated to do?
      Yarp or narp?

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      03-19-2018 04:14 PM #21
      Without a doubt, it is hard enough but for us humans we have something to loose if we strike and kill a pedestrian, so even if we have the right of way we tend to yield. A machine does not care about human life plain and simple, I am not sure you can program it enough to make it be able to.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      03-19-2018 04:15 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ClownCar View Post
      This may be true, but a person could argue that our existing high-level autonomous traffic officers (now called traffic lights) have already failed in protecting pedestrians and cyclists from their apparent death wish(es). As a society, what more are we obligated to do?
      Perhaps if they have a death wish we let the machines thin the herd? Darwin would agree.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      03-19-2018 04:21 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ClownCar View Post
      Traffic lights have been around for a long time while high level autonomous vehicles are new and still not legal in every state. I can see knee jerk reactions to injuries resulting in either outright bans or requirements to have a human driving assistant.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-19-2018 04:31 PM #24
      So she was walking or was she riding a bike? Or was she walking her bike? Not blaming anyone for anything, just trying to understand because the stories mention a pedestrian, but the picture shows someone on a bicycle.

Vehicles
      06 4runner
      03-19-2018 05:29 PM #25

I think I found the spot....
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4365...7i13312!8i6656

There are a lot of bike lines in Phoenix that have a similar setup to the one the accident occurred at. I am fairly familiar with that area, since I used to work in Tempe, and my wife and I like to take the dogs to the Tempe Lake. I have parked our car near that intersection. Can't really think of anything strange about that specific intersection. The ASU campus is near by, but on the other side of the Loop 202 Freeway; now that area is a pain in the ass to drive in. Curious to find out the details of this accident.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast