VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Charger seals and bearings question

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  carrizog60 
#1 ·
Hi
Going to rebuild the charger soon and went to check a kit i had on the shelf for some years now that i bought on ebay.
Have some beije sealing strips,a small amount of grease(how to see if its kluber and were to apply?its just a bit...)on a plastic zip bag, a small timing belt and some seals.
From what i gather online i have all the seals but 2 of them are different height sizes.
I have 30x45x8 instead of 30x45x6 and two 30x42x7 instead of 30x42x5.5/6.

My questions are: will they fit?(if they are held by a circlip will there be enough room?)
After those years will they still be ok(they were stored on a closed bag,in my basement)?
Any way to check if they are viton(if necessary)
And should i look for seals from a specific brand or any seal is ok?(i have nak,tto and piantk)

Now for bearings...
I know they came with F.A.G. bearings but are the any other reasons for not going with other brands like skf,nsk,koyo or timken?
And what to look for when searching for better specs? Durable and rpm wise?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I've bought seals from Theibach (Germany) and the Torrington displacer bearing.
The 4 other bearings (out of the head, double check)
F.A.G. 6002 C3 2HRS
F.A.G. 6003 C3 2RSR
F.A.G. NU-202M
F.A.G. 6304 C3 TVR
have been bougth locally. For example, the two bearings (6002 and 6003) are 19.90€ at rebuilder shops, I've bought them for 2€ each. Not much you can save there.

Edit: There are also two replacement bearings from a German rebuilder, stated as more tough than the F.A.G. ones. Can't remember the name (VSR maybe).
Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hi
Any input on bearings brand?
When doing rebuild is that a full rebuild with bearings or are bearing replaced on another km basis?
My charger doesnt make any strange sounds despite almost 100.000 km on a 65mm( i baby it so...),how can we know its state?
Opened my charger,got a paper seal on the midle... Doesnt appear to be made but never head of them...
Finally,do all bearing are changed or some need more often?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.