Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VW Atlas OEM Hitch Install

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Prem
      05-30-2018 11:31 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbugstuff View Post
      I purchased the OEM ball and mount from the dealer. It's the correct length and height specified by VW and the hitch manufacturer. No issues or noise towing our lightweight cargo trailer or 3000lb. camper.
      Hmmmm. That was my first thought.

This one? ....... https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...CN092730A.html
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Wife/Family car
      2013 Passat SE TDI - Bought back by VW

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL AWD "R-Line", 1979 Westfalia, 1998 New Beetle
      05-31-2018 02:13 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by ebTDI View Post
      Hmmmm. That was my first thought.

This one? ....... https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...CN092730A.html

Yup, that's the one.

4. 05-31-2018 05:33 PM #53
      Just make sure that the hitch ball matches the spec for whatever you will be towing. The VW ball mount comes with a 2" ball, which is fine for most trailers but not all. My 19' Airstream (max weight 4500#) requires a 2 5/8", so the factory unit won't work for me. Plenty of aftermarket offerings at trailer shops, Walmart, etrailer,etc.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-31-2018 05:48 PM #54
      I added a CURT trailer hitch to my car to mount a bike carrier
      I have not added the trailer electricity part yet.
      Has anyone done it? Add a control module, etc?
      I wonder how I can find out if my atlas has trailer preparation meaning I do not have to run new cables to the fron but can just add the control module.
      Anyone knows how to access the space where the control module goes?

thanks
      b

7. 06-01-2018 03:51 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by RunningRob View Post
      Hey all,

I've searched high and low and haven't seen anyone actual post results/experiences of installing a hitch after purchase of their atlas. UPS freight is scheduled to deliver all the parts today so i figured i'd officially probe before diving in.

I ordered:
      3CN092135A - the hitch receiver
      3CN807434A9B9 - bumper valence with the notch for reveal of hitch
      3CN055203A - wiring kit
      3CN092730 - ball and mount
      N91137101/B19684701 - nut and bolt for mounting wiring box

Picked it all up for about 800 shipped.

I have the SE w/ Tech...couldn't find any on a dealers lot with the tow package and didn't want to spend the extra on stepping up to the SEL. I can post here with the results of the install since it doesn't seem to exist.
      Hi,
      do you mind scanning the installation instructions and posting them here (or take pictures with you smartphone)?

Also, can you provide some tips how you got the side rear panel offf?

Thanks a lot!

8. 07-06-2018 04:25 PM #56
      3CN807434A9B9 (with park distance sensors || 3CN807521A9B9 (with out park distance sensors) - bumper valence with the notch for htich
      3CN055203A - wiring kit

Cost ~800 shipped.

Here is the overall process, i started with the hitch installation and then moved to the electrical. I'll see if i can get the installation instructions uploaded as well. The instructions weren't the best but they were definitely needed.

1.) Remove the entire bumper. There is a top portion(painted) and a bottom portion(black valence that i replaced with the notched version) that come off as one pieces. The valence can be snapped off the painted portion of the bumper once removed. You will also need to remove all trim pieces off the old valence if replacing and put them on the new valence that has the notch.
      2.) Separate top and bottom of bumper, connect new valence to new top part of bumper.
      3.) Remove chrome trim from old valence and reattach to new valence. Now set full assembled bumper to the side, its time to tackle the hitch.
      4.) Remove the black metal interior bumper. Its a couple bolts and then the bumper is actually rest on some tabs so you wont drop it on your feet. Lift up after all bolts are removed and throw it to the side. You wont need this anymore.
      5.) Slide hitching into tubes of the frame, align the holes in the hitch with the bolt holes on the sides of the frame tube and screw in the bolts that come with hitch. Tighten to spec.
      6.) Reinstall bumper that you placed to the side earlier and the hitch installation is now complete!

Two notes on the rear valence, the first one is on me...when i ordered i grabbed the wrong part number so i actually installed the one with the rear park sensors...i will like model some plugs and get my friend to 3D print them. Just not a priortiy right now. Second, the damn valence is the one from the SEL as far as i can tel. Since i have an SE w/ tech i didn't have the extra chrome trims that blend the painted top bumper and rear black valence! It honestly doesnt look terrible and even my friend that has an atlas since notice until i pointed it out. I will eventually buy the trim parts (3 separate parts: left side[3CN8538412ZZ], right side[2CN8538422ZZ] and straight middle piece[3CN8538352ZZ]). Dealer wanted 450 for the pieces, it looks like you can get them online for closer to 300...not interesting in spending the 300 on right this second.

Now for the real pain, installing the electrical!!

You will need to remove:
      - the 3rd row of seats (i just removed the rear left looking in fro the trunk)
      - all the trimming and tire from the trunk
      - all trim on the rear left side of the car between the 2nd row and 3rd row.

Doing this gives you access to the area where you mount the control unit. From here you can connect the existing harnesses to the controller that came in the electrical unit. Attach to the ground. Remove a rubber grommet so you can run the wires under the car making use of the new grommet already attached to the wire that runs to the trailer hitch. You will secure the wires with some zip ties and then using the screw plate, attach the hitch wiring connector to the hitch itself. You will need to reassemble everything once all this wiring is done.

Connecting the wires is really easy. Its just a problem of getting so many thing out and back in to the right place.

I will note that after you install the wiring harness you will have to take it to aCN dealer to get them to active via a service computer. My dealer sucks and charged me 100 dollars to do this citing i was the first person that they needed to do this for and they weren't sure what they were getting into. I'll also note that my front assist became unavailable after doing the electrical installation. The dealer had to realign the sensors. I'm guessing the two are correlated since it came on as soon as i plugged my battery back in after the install. Regardless its covered under warranty.

All in all it took me about 4 hours to do the install of both hitch and harness.

Since installing i had to tow a 6x12 trailer full of construction debris to the dump, probably around 4000 pounds in total. Atlas handled it like a champ! I'll admit i'm now towing this much weight cross country or up mountains...so i'm not really worried about transmission cooling type issues.

I'm honestly not sold that the cost of the valence and now the additional trim peices are worth it. If i had to redo i would likely order the ecohitch and just cut out the bumper.

I can't find the installation instructions that came with, but i will upload as soon as i find them!

Here are some pictures of (forgot to take some when doing the wiring harness...i was honestly too annoyed that i had to take out so much).

Inner and Outer Bumper completely removed

Hitch screws in Side of Frame Tube on driver side (looks same on passenger)

New Valence with notch out for hitch and wiring

Part of no use collecting dust
      Last edited by RunningRob; 07-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.

9. 08-05-2018 12:45 AM #57
      You wouldn’t happen to have pictures of the wiring install would you.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas LE 4M
      08-06-2018 08:42 AM #58
      I'm honestly not sold that the cost of the valence and now the additional trim peices are worth it. If i had to redo i would likely order the ecohitch and just cut out the bumper.
      Thanks for the write up. You've convinced me to skipping the factory valence piece, and will try to cut a hole in my valence.
      Last edited by knedrgr; 08-06-2018 at 08:46 AM.

11. 08-06-2018 09:04 AM #59
      I’ve notched the valence per the instructions. A cutting wheel on a dremel eats through it like butter

12. 08-06-2018 09:18 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
      Thanks for the write up. You've convinced me to skipping the factory valence piece, and will try to cut a hole in my valence.
      the OEM valence looks much cleaner, I will post the cut out instructions when they allow me to post pictures and what the cut out looks like, I wish they were a little more clear but I managed to figure it out. I need to cut a little higher but its not in the way so I'm procrastinating. The hitch is the easy part, removing the trim seems to be the most difficult part. Also if your wheel wells have the mud flap pieces you will have to remove the two bolts for those too (there is a 10mm nut behind the two lower ones on each side) I'm not convinced that you have to remove the two lights, I was following the instructions but that upper portion never got removed for me. If you want to PM me your email address I can send you the instructions and some pictures

13. 08-06-2018 09:27 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
      oh, and if your doing it solo when you're putting the bumper back up use a jack stand or something to hold up the far side while you mount the other.
      Also, shop around for the OEM part. I ordered mine from Oregon because it was on sale. the kit part number is npn092006 and comes with everything you'll need

https://flic.kr/p/MJf5os

https://flic.kr/p/MJf5dh

you can see the cutout here

https://flic.kr/p/MJf55w

https://ibb.co/iOO3Oz
      Last edited by Altervarks; 08-06-2018 at 10:22 AM.

14. 12-24-2018 12:23 PM #62
      Rob reference your quote, what is the deal with the comment I read about expert cutting in order the fit the new valance, what is involved in that ?

3CN807434A9B9 (with park distance sensors || 3CN807521A9B9 (with out park distance sensors) - bumper valence with the notch for htich
      3CN055203A - wiring kit

Cost ~800 shipped.

Here is the overall process, i started with the hitch installation and then moved to the electrical. I'll see if i can get the installation instructions uploaded as well. The instructions weren't the best but they were definitely needed.

1.) Remove the entire bumper. There is a top portion(painted) and a bottom portion(black valence that i replaced with the notched version) that come off as one pieces. The valence can be snapped off the painted portion of the bumper once removed. You will also need to remove all trim pieces off the old valence if replacing and put them on the new valence that has the notch.
      2.) Separate top and bottom of bumper, connect new valence to new top part of bumper.
      3.) Remove chrome trim from old valence and reattach to new valence. Now set full assembled bumper to the side, its time to tackle the hitch.
      4.) Remove the black metal interior bumper. Its a couple bolts and then the bumper is actually rest on some tabs so you wont drop it on your feet. Lift up after all bolts are removed and throw it to the side. You wont need this anymore.
      5.) Slide hitching into tubes of the frame, align the holes in the hitch with the bolt holes on the sides of the frame tube and screw in the bolts that come with hitch. Tighten to spec.
      6.) Reinstall bumper that you placed to the side earlier and the hitch installation is now complete!

Two notes on the rear valence, the first one is on me...when i ordered i grabbed the wrong part number so i actually installed the one with the rear park sensors...i will like model some plugs and get my friend to 3D print them. Just not a priortiy right now. Second, the damn valence is the one from the SEL as far as i can tel. Since i have an SE w/ tech i didn't have the extra chrome trims that blend the painted top bumper and rear black valence! It honestly doesnt look terrible and even my friend that has an atlas since notice until i pointed it out. I will eventually buy the trim parts (3 separate parts: left side[3CN8538412ZZ], right side[2CN8538422ZZ] and straight middle piece[3CN8538352ZZ]). Dealer wanted 450 for the pieces, it looks like you can get them online for closer to 300...not interesting in spending the 300 on right this second.

Now for the real pain, installing the electrical!!

You will need to remove:
      - the 3rd row of seats (i just removed the rear left looking in fro the trunk)
      - all the trimming and tire from the trunk
      - all trim on the rear left side of the car between the 2nd row and 3rd row.

Doing this gives you access to the area where you mount the control unit. From here you can connect the existing harnesses to the controller that came in the electrical unit. Attach to the ground. Remove a rubber grommet so you can run the wires under the car making use of the new grommet already attached to the wire that runs to the trailer hitch. You will secure the wires with some zip ties and then using the screw plate, attach the hitch wiring connector to the hitch itself. You will need to reassemble everything once all this wiring is done.

Connecting the wires is really easy. Its just a problem of getting so many thing out and back in to the right place.

I will note that after you install the wiring harness you will have to take it to aCN dealer to get them to active via a service computer. My dealer sucks and charged me 100 dollars to do this citing i was the first person that they needed to do this for and they weren't sure what they were getting into. I'll also note that my front assist became unavailable after doing the electrical installation. The dealer had to realign the sensors. I'm guessing the two are correlated since it came on as soon as i plugged my battery back in after the install. Regardless its covered under warranty.

All in all it took me about 4 hours to do the install of both hitch and harness.

Since installing i had to tow a 6x12 trailer full of construction debris to the dump, probably around 4000 pounds in total. Atlas handled it like a champ! I'll admit i'm now towing this much weight cross country or up mountains...so i'm not really worried about transmission cooling type issues.

I can't find the installation instructions that came with, but i will upload as soon as i find them!

Here are some pictures of (forgot to take some when doing the wiring harness...i was honestly too annoyed that i had to take out so much).

Inner and Outer Bumper completely removed

Hitch screws in Side of Frame Tube on driver side (looks same on passenger)

New Valence with notch out for hitch and wiring

Part of no use collecting dust

15. 03-19-2019 07:33 AM #63
      I have a VW factory trailer hitch which I need to install on my Atlas, I do not have an instruction sheet for the hitch. If anyone has installed one of these do you know what the torque specs are for the 4 M12 x 1.5 bolts that hold the hitch on ?

2018 SE 3.6 4Motion

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas LE 4M
      03-19-2019 07:50 AM #64
      Try contacting this member. He'd successfully installed one.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post112328263
      Current: 2018 VW Atlas LE 3.6L 4Motion
      Weekend Toy: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600 with full Ohlins
      Prior: 2012 VW Golf 4dr, 2003 Subaru WRX 20G tuned for 100oct, 2000 Honda Accord 2dr VTEEEEEECCCC

17. 03-19-2019 09:32 AM #65
      Getting ready to put my hitch on, I originally was going to have VW do it, the dealer ordered the 5,000 hitch for me 3CN-803-881-C and installation kit. They put the install kit in which I believe is the the wiring for a 4 pin plug and some kind of control box, did the computer coding so it would work right but when installing the actual 5,000 lbs. factory hitch which comes with a 7 pin wiring harness they had some questions and talked to someone at the factory who had a hissy fit and said absolutely not, no dealers are to install the factory 5,000 hitch on a vehicle, that is a factory only option. They were going to put the 2,000 lbs hitch on and I told them never mind just put the bumper back on and I went to get the car.

I don't need it because my trailer only weighs 400 lbs and my motorcycle weighs around 700 lbs but I want the 5K hitch anyway. If I went to an aftermarket trailer business and had a hitch put on it would be a class 3 hitch anyway I don't see any sense in putting a lesser hitch on the vehicle. I know what the differences are and if I get a trailer that requires it I can do the necessarily updates to the cooling system but I would not have that option if I put the 2,000lbs hitch on it. . By way in case anyone was wondering I finally got an answer from VWOA Executive Offices as to the difference in the factory 5k hitch and the 2K hitch. The factory hitch requires the 3.6L engine, different cooling fans, bigger alternator, louver delete to allow more air. If you are towing a 4,000 lbs. trailer you probably need all of those things but if you have a small 2,500 lbs camper and the 3.6L engine you likely don’t, but you do need the 5K hitch as 2,500 is more than 2,000.

I went back and bought the 5,000 lbs factory hitch and a lower valance piece with the hitch hole in it and it is time to put it on but I am wondering about a couple of things.

1. what are the torque specs for the 4 M12x1.5 bolts that bolt the hitch up. My hitch did not have a instruction sheet in the box.

2. What am I going to run into with the 7 pin wiring harness on the hitch and my 4 pin installation kit (3CN055203A)
      that supposed to be in there now. Since my trailer is just a small motorcycle trailer with no trailer brakes I can just use the 4 pin plug that VW already supposed to have installed. But if the 7 pin will plug into the same installation kit I would rather do that and use a converter plug for my trailer with 4 pin wiring.

18. 09-19-2019 11:49 AM #66
      One mistake I made when buying an Atlas was assuming that I'd be able to tow 5000 lbs with a factory or after market hitch installed post vehicle production. Well after doing research, I was wrong and I'm stuck with only 2000 lbs but got the exact Atlas we wanted. Compromise, I suppose.

I initially like the Ecohitch model https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201848491 because of it's concealed appearance but didn't want to cut the lower valance.

So I chose the draw-tite hitch due to it being the next best option for being concealed (I wasn't going to give VW my money for their lack of transparency about the towing differences).

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ite/76176.html

It was a fairly simple install and of course YouTube helped on how to properly use the fishing wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by SunDevilDrake; 09-19-2019 at 11:53 AM.

19. 09-19-2019 11:50 AM #67
      Side View

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123