VWVortex.com - Riddle me this, Batman...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Riddle me this, Batman...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf .:R
      05-15-2018 06:54 PM #1
      Golf R Mk6 with 50k miles. I had my Haldex fluid and rear differential fluid changed yesterday. Today started hearing grinding type sound coming from the rear of the car whenever making a 90-degree turn. Long story short, we suspect the two fluids were swapped. My mechanic is trying to get the dealer (supplier) to replace the fluids so he can drain and fill with the correct fluids in each. Will this error cause any damage to the Haldex or rear diff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-16-2018 10:24 AM #2
      If you put the wrong blood in people, will people have issues, yes.

Same with machines. Power steering does not like brake fluid and brake fluid does not like power steering. I hope there is not lasting damage for you or the person that has to make it right.

Now you know why shops charge to much, it's to cover their comebacks.

4. 05-16-2018 03:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by pekkle88 View Post
      Golf R Mk6 with 50k miles. I had my Haldex fluid and rear differential fluid changed yesterday. Today started hearing grinding type sound coming from the rear of the car whenever making a 90-degree turn. Long story short, we suspect the two fluids were swapped. My mechanic is trying to get the dealer (supplier) to replace the fluids so he can drain and fill with the correct fluids in each. Will this error cause any damage to the Haldex or rear diff?

You've likely damaged both units. The rear differential takes a thick gear oil that's highly addititized, and the Hadlex unit take a light 20W oil that is mostly additive-free. It won't take long to grenade either unit. Compounding the issue is that removing all of the fluid from the Haldex unit can be tricky. At a minimum, I'd have them pull the Haldex oil pump, and run the pump (you can hook a 12V battery up to it) with the intake screen submerged in the correct fluid, to flush out the old fluid. You then have to re-install the pump, fill the fluid, run the pump (either manually w/the battery, by using Vagcom or by driving the car in a few figure 8's), then refill the fluid (the pump holds about 150ml or so).

On the rear differential, it's pretty easy to drain almost all of the fluid. I'm sure some damage has already been done--how much, or whether or not it will affect long-term reliability, is anyone's guess.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      05-23-2018 01:38 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pekkle88 View Post

Damage has probably already been done. That's why your mechanic has insurance, for instances like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

7. 04-13-2019 12:04 AM #5
      Did you get it sorted out?