VWVortex.com - We bought a new house and it'll be ready in September! Or November...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: We bought a new house and it'll be ready in September! Or November...

1. Senior Member
      02-28-2019 11:05 AM #376
      Really like how the shutters came out

Agreed that the stairwell one needs something different, it almost seems like my old condo that had a sliding door on the second floor but no balcony so just a safety railing across it. Adding on top might work as you noted. It would seem weird at first but if it allowed you to shut the bottom for privacy while leaving the top open for light you'd be more likely to use them for what you wanted them for.

As for the fence 6x8 panel of similar style is about 110 at home depot, there are 8 there. Plus posts posts and caps, call it a grand. Labor on metal/vinyl seems to be about 50% of materials costs so 1500 if that was the case. 2200 does seem a hair steep.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      02-28-2019 11:06 AM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Also the neighbors fence was installed on Tuesday. It’s 6’ on the shared side and slightly shorter pickets on the back and other side.

We had told them awhile back that we’d go halfsies on the shared side if we could tie into it for ours and they agreed.

I had their installer get me a quote to do a 6’ privacy (like the shared side) for our yard. Then my neighbor showed me what they paid for it. $8500!!! And the contractor said the shared side is $2200 so our half is $1100.

What.The.****.

Local improvement sites (houzz, homeadvisor) said it was $3500-$4000 average for a 6’ privacy fence. So we were expecting maybe $500-700 for our half.

I need to get across the street and see what another neighbor paid their fence installer...
      Is that wood or plastic fencing?

Because if wood, then you're f**ked, they did it wrong. You'll (rather, your neighbor) will get rot in the posts in the ground. If they used concrete, that concrete is supposed to be above the ground, with no dirt. Ideally wood shouldn't be buried.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      02-28-2019 01:23 PM #378
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post

Because if wood, then you're f**ked, they did it wrong. You'll (rather, your neighbor) will get rot in the posts in the ground. If they used concrete, that concrete is supposed to be above the ground, with no dirt. Ideally wood shouldn't be buried.
      I wood assume that that is a composite material

Place looks great ! Clearly you dont have kids ? Very clutter free, another reason I never wanted kids, so I can keep my place looking like that
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

5. 02-28-2019 03:32 PM #379
      House is looking good! Can you post a pic of the sliding door shutters open? I installed plantation style binds through our entire house but we still don't have a good plan for our two sliding doors.

I'm prepping to start my fence build next month when it warms up a little but I plan to do it myself and save a boat load of cash. I have the advantage that my Dad built fence professionally for 20 years and I spent a lot of time helping him as a kid so I think I'll be ok doing it myself. After that I'm also going to build my deck which I have no deck experience but I have done a bunch of research and my deck will be a basic 18x22 with a set of stairs going down to the ground so it shouldn't be to complicated!

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      02-28-2019 06:57 PM #380
      Thanks guys! It's crazy how the house actually feels smaller now with the windows covered.

I'll get a picture of the slider shutters open. They are pretty slick. They bi-fold and then slide out and fold flat against the wall on each side. They are way better then the old box style with sliding panels they have been doing for years.
      iain

Vehicles
      03-05-2019 12:05 AM #381
      Some picks of the slider shutters open.

iain

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      03-05-2019 11:14 AM #382
      Nice shutters. Black on white looks classy AF.

By my math $2200 for those 8 sections is a tight margin. At $275 a section, I could easily see half that being materials.

Quoting houzz & home advisor prices isn't unlike asking TCL for car help. There's some good info in there but man you really gotta be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Both. It's a 4x4 pressure treated post with a PVC/composite sleeve.

Vehicles
      03-07-2019 09:03 AM #383
      The guy finally gave me a quote, $8100 to finish the remaining 2 sides of my fence. So it would be roughly $10,300 for the entire fence.

Given that I know that the completed left side is $2200 that means the right side is about ~$2500 (I need another section of fence to go past the propane tank). So that leaves $5500 for the 71' back section and the two front sections to close it off, one of them with a gate?
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-07-2019 at 10:09 AM.
      iain

03-08-2019 06:34 AM #384
      The guy finally gave me a quote, $8100 to finish the remaining 2 sides of my fence. So it would be roughly $10,300 for the entire fence.

Given that I know that the completed left side is $2200 that means the right side is about ~$2500 (I need another section of fence to go past the propane tank). So that leaves $5500 for the 71' back section and the two front sections to close it off, one of them with a gate?
      That doesn't sound unreasonable to me if the work is good.

If I did a fence again I would get a gate on both sides, maybe a double or larger gate on one side, small gate (for people only no wheelbarrows/etc) on the other. Every once and a while i get a lazy "i wish I could just walk thru, here" on one side of the yard feeling.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-08-2019 07:00 AM #385

I had their installer get me a quote to do a 6’ privacy (like the shared side) for our yard. Then my neighbor showed me what they paid for it. $8500!!! And the contractor said the shared side is $2200 so our half is $1100.

What.The.****.

Local improvement sites (houzz, homeadvisor) said it was $3500-$4000 average for a 6’ privacy fence. So we were expecting maybe $500-700 for our half.

I need to get across the street and see what another neighbor paid their fence installer...
      Our shore house has 6' between the houses, and scalloped pickets for the rest of the way back to the dock. And pickets across the front with a gate on either side of the house (nothing across the back). The PO paid $7400 for it 15 years ago. It's not the typical Home Depot/Lowes crap, and it is NOT cheap. The "local home improvement sites" seem to be quoting material only - break out a shovel!

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 12:56 PM #386
      We have two appointments with two fence companies today, one was this morning and the other is in a couple hours.

The first quote we got today was $4600 to finish the fence. That works out to $33/ft. Almost half what the neighbor's guy quoted us ($8100).

Edit: the second guy left a little while ago. He’ll have my quote later tonight but from the sound he is at or below the quote from this morning, I expect him to be around what the other quote today was.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.
      iain

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 08:56 AM #387
      We got the second quote. $4100. The owner of that company came and did the measurements. I liked him so we’re going to go with him.

Now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation with my neighbor about how I really don’t think I need to pay $1100 for my half of the shared side because they didn’t bother to get more then one quote and they got completely taken for a ride and paid twice what they should have...
      iain

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2019 09:52 AM #388
      We got the second quote. $4100. The owner of that company came and did the measurements. I liked him so we’re going to go with him.

Now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation with my neighbor about how I really don’t think I need to pay $1100 for my half of the shared side because they didn’t bother to get more then one quote and they got completely taken for a ride and paid twice what they should have...
      Is your guy installing the exact same material are theirs?

And honestly, yeah you told him you'd split it so... your going to wind up splitting it. When you have someone else do your work, you can then tell him why.

Offering to split without asking him about the cost and how many bids he got is a recipe for disaster. It's also a d*ck move to pull that on a new neighbor. Sucks to wind up living next to someone for so long when there is resentment.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 04:00 PM #389
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Is your guy installing the exact same material are theirs?

And honestly, yeah you told him you'd split it so... your going to wind up splitting it. When you have someone else do your work, you can then tell him why.

Offering to split without asking him about the cost and how many bids he got is a recipe for disaster. It's also a d*ck move to pull that on a new neighbor. Sucks to wind up living next to someone for so long when there is resentment.
      It’s white vinyl with lumber in the posts, aluminum posts at the gates and concrete in the holes. There aren’t vast varying degrees of quality with this stuff to account for a 100% increase in cost.

I also told them I wanted to see the quote first and what I would be paying before they started. They didn’t show me the quote and my cost until their guy was digging post holes on the installation date.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-15-2019 at 04:21 PM.
      iain

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2019 05:03 PM #390
      It’s white vinyl with lumber in the posts, aluminum posts at the gates and concrete in the holes. There aren’t vast varying degrees of quality with this stuff to account for a 100% increase in cost.

I also told them I wanted to see the quote first and what I would be paying before they started. They didn’t show me the quote and my cost until their guy was digging post holes on the installation date.
      Home Depot vinyl fence is pretty cheap compared to better product with stronger UV protectant (Colorguard is what is popular up here, along with GlideLock to prevent wind blow outs).

If you asked for that info ahead, I'd just carry on and do your own thing until they bring it up again.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 05:42 PM #391
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Home Depot vinyl fence is pretty cheap compared to better product with stronger UV protectant (Colorguard is what is popular up here, along with GlideLock to prevent wind blow outs).

If you asked for that info ahead, I'd just carry on and do your own thing until they bring it up again.
      I’m not sure why you’re convinced the quotes I got are for cheaper material. One is from a company that only builds fences and decks. The other one (the one I’m using) only builds fences.

A house across the street used the company that gave me the $4600 quote. Their fence is identical to what my neighbor got.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-15-2019 at 06:54 PM.
      iain

Vehicles
      03-17-2019 12:27 PM #392
      Anyway, I submitted the HOA paperwork on Friday night for the fence and it can take up to 45 days for it to be approved. Once that’s approved I’ll have to hit the zoning desk and the county government center and get the zoning permit. Then it’s fence time.

In other news, we had the Budget Blinds guy come back out. They are replacing the kitchen window shutter on their dime because the panels can’t open because of the sink faucet. They will replace it with another shutter frame that has a t-post in the middle. With that we should be able to open the panels and then access the horizontal slider window.

He also adjusted the sliding door shutter so they glider better.

We are paying to have them completely redo the cafe (ie half shutter) we put in the stairwell. We’re just not happy with how it looks. It’ll be replaced with a full coverage shutter.

We also found that a lot of our louvers had a rough texture and they weren’t smooth. I’m guessing that something happened during manufacturing with the coating/painting. At first they were just going to replace louvers until they saw how many would need to be replaced. So instead they are having almost all our panels completely replaced.

That’s 6 panels in our bedroom, 4 in each of the other three bedrooms, 4 in the dining room and 4 in the study.

The only ones they aren’t replacing are the two small windows off of the kitchen and the slider door. Every other panel in the house is being replaced.

There was no argument or excuses from them. The immediate response was “you guys paid a lot of money for these and you should be happy.” That was nice.

That was refreshing.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.
      iain

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-18-2019 07:18 PM #393
      Every other panel in the house is being replaced.

There was no argument or excuses from them. The immediate response was “you guys paid a lot of money for these and you should be happy.” That was nice.

That was refreshing.
      Nice to see quality customer service. The previous owners installed plantation shutters on 3 windows and this one's in the worst shape. Eventually I'm going to repaint them in a brighter white and then fix the louvers. Any guesses on how much it would be to just replace it? Trying to decide if it's worth the time to do it myself.

A coworker mentioned a place where they'll chemically strip the paint off which would be much easier than sanding, even though I'd use my compressor and sander to do it.

Vehicles
      7 Speed RGASM
      Yesterday 11:39 AM #394
      Been awhile since I stuck my head in here.

The shutters look great. Really like the bi-fold one off the kitchen. Agree that you need to do a full shutter on the stairwell window. Nice that their making good on the poor quality ones.

Big on how things are coming along. Enjoy the house.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516