Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mazda3 with SkyActiv-X to Debut in Nov at LA Auto Show

Vehicles
      16' GTI
      03-12-2019 09:05 AM #351
      we test drove a loaded version on Saturday. Took it on the highway and over some rough streets and that thing took it all in so well. Not jarring at all. Was quite surprised. Loved all the tech it comes with and it looks fantastic, especially the hatch in that dark grey colour.

BUT I felt very cramped inside compared to my GTI and my SOs Cruze which might be a deal breaker for us.

We plan to keep it for ~7 years and will get used on 2-3 hours trips quite often so comfort is very important to us.
      Last edited by jai5; 03-12-2019 at 09:20 AM.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI, 96 Ls1 Swapped E36, 2013 MT Focus

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      Several.
      03-13-2019 11:05 AM #352

I’m having a very hard time resisting this.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-13-2019 11:36 AM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post

Mazda is doing some of the most beautiful cars inside and out in the business right now. Material qualities are on par with German entry-level or better. I just wish they would get off their butts and give us a premium engine and sporting offering in the Mazda 3 or 6. It doesn't have to be AWD, but a well sorted FWD with mechanical differential and re-tuned 2.5 T have my interest. I don't even care if it's automatic since the Mazda 6 AT is excellent.

Vehicles
      Several.
      03-13-2019 11:44 AM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Mazda is doing some of the most beautiful cars inside and out in the business right now. Material qualities are on par with German entry-level or better. I just wish they would get off their butts and give us a premium engine and sporting offering in the Mazda 3 or 6. It doesn't have to be AWD, but a well sorted FWD with mechanical differential and re-tuned 2.5 T have my interest. I don't even care if it's automatic since the Mazda 6 AT is excellent.
      The powertrains will come in time I think - Mazda has said the turbo fits in the 3.

We won't see it as a 'Mazdaspeed' product but that doesn't mean they won't consider a more powerful engine.

Also, I think an AWD 6 is inevitable.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      03-13-2019 11:48 AM #355

I have to quote again because damn that looks good.

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      03-13-2019 11:51 AM #356
      Yeah, that interior is legit.

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport, 2005 Honda Element
      03-13-2019 11:59 AM #357
      I'm over leather(esque) seats personally (I didn't even want them in my current car) and you can't get cloth on anything but the base sedan trim I've discovered.

A semi-alcantara option for the hatchback -- since it's supposed to be the more sporting choice versus the sedan -- would be nice, at least.
      Last edited by VarianceVQ; 03-13-2019 at 12:03 PM.
      He's really showing us what a man with a cannon in his chest can do!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 M3
      03-13-2019 02:51 PM #358
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      This car just blew my mind when I saw it at the auto show. The styling is great, the interior is incredibly upscale in feel. Way nicer than even the Golf. Mazda worked really hard on this car and it shows.
      I have to echo this. I sat in the new Mazda3 at our auto show this last weekend and I was seriously impressed. It has the interior of a much more expensive car (the exterior is also seriously good). I'll probably be in the market soon and had assumed I'll end up getting something Golf-based, but the Mazda's interior is so good that it's going to the top of my list. Honestly, it's just so clean and refreshing while not relying on bling to impress.

The powertrains will come in time I think - Mazda has said the turbo fits in the 3.

We won't see it as a 'Mazdaspeed' product but that doesn't mean they won't consider a more powerful engine.

Also, I think an AWD 6 is inevitable.
      The Mazda rep at the auto show told me that he expects the Skyactiv-X to fully replace the Skyactiv-G engine, with the 2.5T becoming the top-of-the-range option.
      Last edited by Charlie84; 03-13-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      03-13-2019 05:01 PM #359

Quoting this again because wow. WOw.

Saw a 2019 Blue Sedan in front of my local dealer today. Looks handsome, but similar to the previous model.

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32, 16 MX-5 Club
      03-13-2019 09:20 PM #360
      I saw one with the red leather today. Wow, that is a nice place to be. I would take one in a heartbeat but I don't think I can resist the more than 5K off sticker on a leftover 2018. I need an appliance type car for the next two years and a 2018 3 Grand Touring with a manual fits the bill perfectly.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

Vehicles
      '18 Mazda 6 GT-Reserve, '89 Honda Prelude
      03-13-2019 10:57 PM #361

New digital gauge cluster is really fantastic. Digital speed readout that replaces the analog style gauge depending on which display you have active.

Is this gauge cluster standard across all trim levels or only in the top trims? Currently, you can only get it in the 6’s Signature trim level.

Vehicles
      Several.
      03-14-2019 01:26 AM #362
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDude View Post

New digital gauge cluster is really fantastic. Digital speed readout that replaces the analog style gauge depending on which display you have active.

Is this gauge cluster standard across all trim levels or only in the top trims? Currently, you can only get it in the 6’s Signature trim level.
      So far I've seen it in both the Preferred and Premium trims - we just got our first base hatch and Select sedan. Need to investigate further. According to the press releases, it is standard across all trims.

14. 03-14-2019 08:19 AM #363
      So far I've seen it in both the Preferred and Premium trims - we just got our first base hatch and Select sedan. Need to investigate further. According to the press releases, it is standard across all trims.
      In Canada it is standard across all trims.

15. 03-14-2019 08:28 AM #364
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I'm over leather(esque) seats personally (I didn't even want them in my current car) and you can't get cloth on anything but the base sedan trim I've discovered.

A semi-alcantara option for the hatchback -- since it's supposed to be the more sporting choice versus the sedan -- would be nice, at least.
      The trim selection between Canada and the US seems to be much different with this gen. Cloth is standard on all trims in Canada. Leather would be added with the Premium package on the top trim along with a few other option. It is nice that you can get Bose Audio with Cloth seats. Previously this was part of the premium package that included leather.

16. 03-15-2019 04:28 PM #365
      This Mazda Canada video describes the placement of the speakers and more specifically the placement of the 3 Liter enclosed woofer boxes up front.

Last edited by hoodlum90; 03-18-2019 at 08:54 PM.

17. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-15-2019 11:38 PM #366
      It’s been said already, but I checked out the Mazda 3 at the Auto Show and was absolutely blown away by the interior. While it’s not at Lexus LS levels, it was actually more posh than the Audi SQ5 I sat in that was twice the price. That’s unbelievable and shows Mazda is killing it with their latest models. Really hope it’s successful in the marketplace, because it totally deserves to be.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      03-16-2019 12:46 AM #367
      That interior looks better than the model 3!

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      03-16-2019 08:12 AM #368
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      That interior looks better than the model 3!
      Is there a car for sale that has a worse interior than the Model 3?

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-16-2019 08:23 AM #369
      Damn. I missed that red two-tone interior pic previously. That looks niiiiiice.

I had test driven the last 3 when it came out and something about it left me a bit cold, but I could never put my finger on it. I don’t think I’d feel that way about this car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-16-2019 10:54 AM #370
      That interior pic gave me a flashback to the original SP23 with saddle brown leather.

Vehicles
      87 BMW God's Chariot, 16 VW Sorority Special
      03-18-2019 08:05 AM #371
      Went for a Sunday drive to a couple dealerships yesterday and decided to peek at the Mazda dealership to see if they had any of these. Sure enough, they did.

First impression is that inside and out, the new 3 exudes a higher level of design, detailing, and quality than comparable entry-level cars. The new Soul Red is stunning, it's deeper and has even some hints of blue in it than the prior generation color. I don't know their paint process but that color is gorgeous.

I'm personally all over the map as far as what my next car will be, but I wonder if there's value in getting the in-between Frankenmodel with the outgoing Skyactive-G motor (because it's time-tested and simple) or waiting for the new Skyactive-X, which sounds so appealing from technological standpoint (but is inherently more complex). Also... manual availability is important to me, should I be in the market.

Last thought: I want so badly for the hatchback shape to grow on me, I really do. But this is one of the few instances where I prefer the sedan's shape.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      03-18-2019 12:37 PM #372
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post

Last thought: I want so badly for the hatchback shape to grow on me, I really do. But this is one of the few instances where I prefer the sedan's shape.
      I'm with you on that. I reserved final judgement until I could see it in person. I love the interior, the sedan, but that C-pillar is just too jarring. Wish they'd kept the shape of the previous gen for the rear.

24. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-18-2019 01:06 PM #373
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Went for a Sunday drive to a couple dealerships yesterday and decided to peek at the Mazda dealership to see if they had any of these. Sure enough, they did.

First impression is that inside and out, the new 3 exudes a higher level of design, detailing, and quality than comparable entry-level cars. The new Soul Red is stunning, it's deeper and has even some hints of blue in it than the prior generation color. I don't know their paint process but that color is gorgeous.

I'm personally all over the map as far as what my next car will be, but I wonder if there's value in getting the in-between Frankenmodel with the outgoing Skyactive-G motor (because it's time-tested and simple) or waiting for the new Skyactive-X, which sounds so appealing from technological standpoint (but is inherently more complex). Also... manual availability is important to me, should I be in the market.

Thanks for the first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      I'm with you on that. I reserved final judgement until I could see it in person. I love the interior, the sedan, but that C-pillar is just too jarring. Wish they'd kept the shape of the previous gen for the rear.
      I'm holding off judgement for exactly the same reason, as I haven't seen one in the flesh, yet. You two aren't giving me much hope of liking it better after I see them in 3-D, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

25. 03-19-2019 03:04 PM #374
      Whelp, I just put down a deposit for a Sport GT AWD, the c-pillar honestly didn't bother me as much as I expected. Managed to get a decent discount although all Sport GT AWD are factory order at the moment in Canada so it looks like I'll be waiting a month or two for the car. Decided on the new Polymetal colour with the red interior. #excited.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      03-19-2019 06:50 PM #375
      ^ Congrats on the purchase. It'll probably be a few months indeed but please do share pics and your review. I've been drooling over this car for months now. Have about 20 open tabs on Google Chrome of different pictures.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast