Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mazda3 with SkyActiv-X to Debut in Nov at LA Auto Show

1. 06-01-2018 09:10 AM #1
      Advanced new 2019 Mazda 3 to KO diesels

The fourth-generation car will make its debut at November’s LA Motor Show, before going on sale in the UK in 2019.
      Mazda Europe design director Kevin Rice told Auto Express that the concept had been penned with production techniques in mind. “We have a recent history of not just producing concepts for concepts’ sake,” he said. “So yes, manufacturing tolerances and techniques have been incorporated into this project since the very beginning.”

Big changes are set to take place under the skin, too; the next Mazda 3 will be the first production model based on Mazda’s SkyActiv Vehicle Architecture – an all-new platform. Improved refinement has been targeted, and the architecture is also said to support a low, sporty seating position. However, the platform’s real party trick is the radical new engine technology that will make its debut.
      Mazda is pinning its internal combustion hopes on SkyActiv-X – a new petrol engine featuring what the firm calls Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SCCI). In simple terms, SCCI means that the SkyActiv-X units can operate in two separate states. Spark plugs are retained for conventional petrol engine-style combustion, but the unit can seamlessly switch to diesel-style compression ignition, too, using the spark plugs as a controlling factor for consistent combustion.

As such, Mazda claims SkyActiv-X will deliver petrol-like performance with diesel fuel economy, as the engine can run on a leaner air-fuel mixture. When the technology becomes a production reality next year, Mazda is targeting 187bhp and 230Nm of torque from a supercharged 2.0-litre SkyActiv-X unit.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      06-01-2018 10:31 AM #2
      Looking forward to seeing the production version. If it looks similar to the Kai concept or that rendering above Mazda again just made by the most stylish car in the class.

4. 06-02-2018 06:55 PM #3
      Every Mazda driver I know swears by the brand, and tell me it is the most underappreciated brand in the US.

After driving my brother's CX-3 for two weeks visiting in Hungary I more than agree.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      06-02-2018 07:58 PM #4
      After driving a 3i rental for about a week, I strongly disagree. It was a good mainstream compact... the interior was about 80% of the way from an F30 rental I had a bit later. But the driving experience was basically identical to a Golf TSI rental I had with what felt like half the horsepower. I'd hardly call it a willing dance partner; I'd argue Honda is the most unappreciated brand in that regard... the current Civic is really, really nice to drive.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-02-2018 08:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I'd hardly call it a willing dance partner; I'd argue Honda is the most unappreciated brand in that regard... the current Civic is really, really nice to drive.
      You just attacked me for saying this exact thing

Mazda may be unappreciated by the general public but not here.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      06-03-2018 08:53 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru1 View Post
      Every Mazda driver I know swears by the brand, and tell me it is the most underappreciated brand in the US.

After driving my brother's CX-3 for two weeks visiting in Hungary I more than agree.
      Of all the VW/Audi/Porsche’s I’ve owned, nothing has been more problem free than the Mazdaspeed3 (2010 and 2013) I’ve owned.
      Wife has CX3, also problem free.

Not exciting, but if you need something ‘nice’ and reliable - Much nicer than Honda imo

8. 10-17-2018 09:03 AM #7

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      10-17-2018 09:32 AM #8
      Neat
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      10-17-2018 09:34 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      Neat
      Very cool. I do wish Mazda got more appreciation. Great company that deserves to grow I think. That Mazda 3 looks really nice, almost alfa romeo-ish rear.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      10-17-2018 09:37 AM #10
      In for updates. The first production HCCI (SCCI) engine. This is a huge step forward.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      10-17-2018 09:40 AM #11
      My Dad has a 2016 Mazda 3 GT with all the goodies. It is a pleasant car to drive, but not nearly as mind-blowing as the reviews had lead me to believe.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda 3
      10-17-2018 09:57 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      My Dad has a 2016 Mazda 3 GT with all the goodies. It is a pleasant car to drive, but not nearly as mind-blowing as the reviews had lead me to believe.
      Same for my 2016 Mazda 3 iGT. It's nice, but I wish Mazda gave it some additional sound insulation, thicker glass, thicker sheet metal, better paint etc. I
      How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born

Vehicles
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      10-17-2018 10:02 AM #13
      Looks good, but there's no way I'd buy a car with c-pillars that thick unless, somehow, they can defy the way light works and allow me to have reasonable sight lines.
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      10-17-2018 10:03 AM #14
      If Mazda doesn't get their act together on sizing their CUVs appropriately, there won't be a new platform in the US to enjoy.

16. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      10-17-2018 10:20 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy View Post
      If Mazda doesn't get their act together on sizing their CUVs appropriately, there won't be a new platform in the US to enjoy.
      CX-3 is a bit small, but the CX-5 and CX-9 are competitive in their respective classes.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      10-17-2018 10:38 AM #16
      I've driven my friend's '17 3 hatch. Super fun car and a really nice interior. Probably "nicer" than the plastic fighter-jet Focus I have. Really my only nag was, compared to the Focus, the Mazda was all snout and no rump. The cargo area is really small despite the whole car being 4" longer than the Focus.

Really looking forward to the next 3.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      10-17-2018 10:53 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      IMO they feel like slightly slower GTIs. They're solid options for just daily / commuter needs.

This rendering looks nice. And I'm interested to hear how the skyactiv x engines hold up to normal duty. New tech like this usually has some teething issues.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      10-17-2018 11:00 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      I've driven my friend's '17 3 hatch. Super fun car and a really nice interior. Probably "nicer" than the plastic fighter-jet Focus I have. Really my only nag was, compared to the Focus, the Mazda was all snout and no rump. The cargo area is really small despite the whole car being 4" longer than the Focus.

Really looking forward to the next 3.
      That's exactly how they are - Focus+ sized on the outside, Fiesta+ sized on the inside. Mazda chose form over function. We never use the back seat in my wife's so it doesn't matter too much, but it is TINY inside compared to a Golf. Rearward visibility is also terrible like on most modern cars. It drives great though and is at 35 mpg lifetime on 87 over 90k miles with no issues.

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-17-2018 11:04 AM #19
      Wut.

CX-3 might be small (next gen CX-3 will grow) but the CX-5 and CX-9 are properly sized.

Rumor is that the CX-7 will return in the future.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      10-17-2018 11:19 AM #20
      CX-3 was outsold by the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in September. Ascent sold nearly three times more than the CX-9 did. Crosstrek and Forester both outsold the CX-5 the same month.

Sales are of course up, but the numbers aren't where they could be if Mazda actually considered sizing interiors appropriately, particularly for the CX-9.

Problem isn't just with the CX line, as others have mentioned in this thread, interior space suffers in many of their models. Was Subaru's problem 10 years ago with the Tribeca, Legacy, and Forester. If Mazda can size the vehicles appropriately for the US market (like Subaru did) yet keep the fun-to-drive aspect (which Subaru certainly has not done) then we are talking.

Jack up the Mazda3 hatch as a Crosstrek competitor, bring the Mazda6 wagon over as an Outback competitor. while they aer at it. Should be fairly easy to federalize.

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-17-2018 11:37 AM #21
      CX-3 was outsold by the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in September. Ascent sold nearly three times more than the CX-9 did. Crosstrek and Forester both outsold the CX-5 the same month.

Sales are of course up, but the numbers aren't where they could be if Mazda actually considered sizing interiors appropriately, particularly for the CX-9.

Problem isn't just with the CX line, as others have mentioned in this thread, interior space suffers in many of their models. Was Subaru's problem 10 years ago with the Tribeca, Legacy, and Forester. If Mazda can size the vehicles appropriately for the US market (like Subaru did) yet keep the fun-to-drive aspect (which Subaru certainly has not done) then we are talking.

Jack up the Mazda3 hatch as a Crosstrek competitor, bring the Mazda6 wagon over as an Outback competitor. while they aer at it. Should be fairly easy to federalize.
      Ascent sold more because the Ascent is engineered with love and puppies. And Americans love puppies. Also, Mazda's marketing has been pretty weak until very recently.

The CX-9 is sized just fine - sliding 2nd row, actual 3rd row that I, as a 5'11" male can sit in. If the rear wasn't so sleek and more squared off (e.g. - Atlas and Ascent) it'd fit bulky cargo better behind the 3rd row. But, it also wouldn't look as good.

FWIW, as a saleshole for Mazda, I don't get many request for more room or size in the CX-9 - anyone I stuff into the drivers seat, 2nd row, and even 3rd row, generally loves it. About the only thing I really get requests for are 2nd row captain's chairs.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      10-17-2018 11:45 AM #22
      As alluded to above, they need a new CX-7 to slot in between the 5 and the 9.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      10-17-2018 11:56 AM #23
      Mazda needs to bring back the CX-7 while they're at it. No room for a CX-9 in my garage, but the CX-5 is too tight. I'm really surprised that mainstream midsized 2 row segment is so niche. Nothing from Honda, Toyota, VW, Subaru etc.

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-17-2018 11:59 AM #24
      Mazda needs to bring back the CX-7 while they're at it. No room for a CX-9 in my garage, but the CX-5 is too tight. I'm really surprised that mainstream midsized 2 row segment is so niche. Nothing from Honda, Toyota, VW, Subaru etc.
      Everyone "needs" 3 rows man.

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      10-17-2018 12:02 PM #25
      Isn't Honda coming out with a new Passport?

I really enjoyed my Speed3. I do wish it had a little more sound deadening though. That sucker was loud on the freeway. It was good for putting my babies to sleep at 2am, but not good for a long road trip.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast