The Car Lounge
    Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: 2019 Mazda3 with SkyActiv-X to Debut in Nov at LA Auto Show

1. Member
      Vehicles
      E36 M3/4, ND Miata
      04-14-2019 12:32 AM #451
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Why in the world would they do that now that Ford and Mazda are no longer togethert?
      Anwering my own question:

5. Do participant’s who are eligible for Ford's A, X and Z Vehicle Purchase Plans qualify for the Mazda Employee Pricing S-Plan?

Yes, participants eligible for Ford's A, X and Z plans also qualify for the Mazda Employee Pricing S-Plan.
      I bought my Miata this way back in 2015. The S-Plan price is pretty close to invoice IIRC, and I got a Mazda loyalty rebate on top of that. It was a decent deal since nobody was really dealing on the ND at the time, although I'm sure with a little patience you could do better.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      04-15-2019 10:22 AM #452
      I'm not usually a big fan of grey but Polymetal looks awesome. If I were in the market I think I'd get that colour with the red interior.

4. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-15-2019 10:45 AM #453
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I beg to differ. My 2014 Aluminum Silver Mazda3 has extremely thin paint. It really takes no effort at all to scratch it. Volkswagen paint can take 10x the beating and not show signs of abuse.
      Also not thrilled with the Soul Red Metallic on our CX-5 in terms of chips (beautiful otherwise). It's probably as bad as my MkV Jetta, which had notoriously soft paint. By comparison, our old 1st gen Ford Escape and current Focus have almost no dings.

5. 04-15-2019 11:53 AM #454
      Make noise about it for Mazda to hear, but don't call it a 'Mazdaspeed'

Mazda boss Akira Marumoto said last year there'd be no Mazdaspeed version of the new Mazda3 because the hot hatch segment wasn't a priority for the carmaker. Then Mazda engineer Dave Coleman told Road & Track that without "an engine on the shelf that would fit properly," an MPS variant made no sense. The first reader comment on our Coleman post read, "Engine — you have it; cue up the 2.5T." Mazda might have been listening. Program manager Kota Beppu told Autocar he'd like a "hyper" Mazda3, the outlet figuring the 2.5-liter four-cylinder turbo would make the most sense for power.

Autocar wrote "the project had not been officially signed off, [but] insiders suggest that is a formality." When Car and Driver queried Mazda and its sources about the report, the magazine realized "the company is seriously considering a high-performance hot hatch." What's more, "Drew Cary, senior manager for brand communications, said, 'We encourage people to ask for it, though. Our planners and executives are watching and listening to fans.'"

The turbocharged 2.5-liter SkyActiv-G four-cylinder — which doesn't sell in Europe — makes 250 hp on premium gasoline and 310 pound-feet of torque in the Mazda6, CX-5 and CX-9. A next-generation SkyActiv-G is predicted on the way next year, bringing more boost and power. Even as is, we're talking a chunky lump of power to send to the front wheels, and Beppu mentioned torque steer. The new Mazda3's all-wheel drive would alleviate that bugbear.

Unlike the raw, fast-twitch reflexes of the last Mazdaspeed3 from 2013, Beppu says a new model "needs to be responsible and friendly ... more friendly than a Golf GTI." And, "It should be fast." The polished looks and interior address the necessary perceptions. CD's done the math on the current 2.5-liter and predicts a five-second sprint to 60 miles per hour, which is Volkswagen Golf R and Honda Civic Type R territory, so GTI comparisons could be a case of aiming low. Imagine a 300-hp engine with a touch more torque and a six-speed manual ...

If Mazda follows through with such a product, it could take two years to get the green light. However, we're told that Mazda's Los Angeles research and development center has already built a proof-of-concept to encourage and anticipate that green light.
      https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/15/...gh-horsepower/

6. 04-15-2019 02:29 PM #455
      I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it ya'll.

Signed the paperwork on it last night down in Florida! I was going back and forth between this and a CX-5 GT-R. After driving them back to back I just enjoyed driving the 3 more.

0AEC7401-C710-42F9-B411-4D6CCB19A7CB by Reginald Gist, on Flickr

D94E62E9-4044-451F-BE12-3E63B4EE976A by Reginald Gist, on Flickr

DB57A012-B0D9-49B6-85E2-20327740E2E4 by Reginald Gist, on Flickr

Vehicles
      Fake Rich C300
      04-15-2019 03:04 PM #457
      Feels weird to admit but grey is my favorite color on the new 3.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      04-15-2019 04:18 PM #458
      Quote Originally Posted by Regi_Derrick View Post

Signed the paperwork on it last night down in Florida! I was going back and forth between this and a CX-5 GT-R. After driving them back to back I just enjoyed driving the 3 more.

0AEC7401-C710-42F9-B411-4D6CCB19A7CB by Reginald Gist, on Flickr
      Goodness congrats!

I think I need that.

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-15-2019 04:53 PM #459

If you hadn't gotten that bitchin' red interior I would've ridiculed you to no end.

Congratulations on the new car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      04-15-2019 05:37 PM #460
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Feels weird to admit but grey is my favorite color on the new 3.
      If gray become super popular, they can always add more shades of gray.

Vehicles
      Several.
      04-15-2019 06:29 PM #461
      That looks like Titanium Flash (commonly abbreviated here at Tit Flash ) too, which is a raaaaaaaaare color. I haven't seen a new 3 in Titanium yet. Looks great with the black accents and red interior!

Congrats! And manuel transmision too!

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda MX-5 Club, 2018 Mazda3 Touring. Manual or GTFO!
      04-15-2019 07:32 PM #462
      Meanwhile, I just picked up a 2018 3 Touring manual with Bose/Moonroof package for $20,050 last week. (Was quoted $19,850 by a dealership I swore not to ever to business with again and split the difference from $20,250 with the dealership I like.) Same drivetrain and IRS.
      2019 do look amazing though. Have to admit I get urges looking at that grey/red combo.

13. 04-15-2019 09:05 PM #463
      Quote Originally Posted by kezho View Post
      Meanwhile, I just picked up a 2018 3 Touring manual with Bose/Moonroof package for $20,050 last week. (Was quoted $19,850 by a dealership I swore not to ever to business with again and split the difference from $20,250 with the dealership I like.) Same drivetrain and IRS.
      2019 do look amazing though. Have to admit I get urges looking at that grey/red combo.

The dealership I bought my new 3 from actually had a 2018 Silver/Black Gt hatch with stick for $20600 but it was already sold before I got there. They still did have a left over Red/Black Mazda3 2018 GT sedan for 19.5k but I just couldn’t say no to the red interior.

My car is Titanium Flash...it’s a pewter/brown color....I love it. My other choice was Deep Crystal Blue.

Vehicles
      2010 Subaru Forester, 2013 VW Golf
      04-16-2019 07:45 AM #464
      I was going back and forth between this and a CX-5 GT-R.

Congrats! Looks really nice.

Just curious - how do you feel the seats in the 3 compare to the seats in the Cx-5 GT-R? I haven't been in a new 3 yet - I've found the seats in the cx-5 are not great IMHO. I was hoping that for the signature/reserve they'd give the 5 something a bit better seat wise (thigh support/longer seat base) but Mazda didn't.

Just wondering if its the same type of seat in the new 3 or if it's very different?

Vehicles
      Several.
      04-16-2019 10:03 AM #465
      Quote Originally Posted by mouseOfMars View Post
      Congrats! Looks really nice.

Just curious - how do you feel the seats in the 3 compare to the seats in the Cx-5 GT-R? I haven't been in a new 3 yet - I've found the seats in the cx-5 are not great IMHO. I was hoping that for the signature/reserve they'd give the 5 something a bit better seat wise (thigh support/longer seat base) but Mazda didn't.

Just wondering if its the same type of seat in the new 3 or if it's very different?
      Totally different seat bespoke to the new 3 so far. Longer thigh supports, better bolstering, and very comfortable (properly aligned pelvic angle, etc.).

I agree with you - as a long-legged individual, the CX-5 could use more thigh support.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      04-16-2019 11:08 AM #466
      I had an 08 Speed3 for four years and only had two complaints with that car. One of them was the too-narrow footwell. The cockpit was definitely more Asian form factor than giant barbarian round eye. What's the new one like?
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      04-16-2019 11:18 AM #467
      Congrats man, that looks stunning! If they offered the 2.5 T as an option with AWD it would be at the top of our shopping list.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 MINI R55S; 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
      04-16-2019 11:54 AM #468
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I beg to differ. My 2014 Aluminum Silver Mazda3 has extremely thin paint. It really takes no effort at all to scratch it. Volkswagen paint can take 10x the beating and not show signs of abuse.
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Also not thrilled with the Soul Red Metallic on our CX-5 in terms of chips (beautiful otherwise). It's probably as bad as my MkV Jetta, which had notoriously soft paint. By comparison, our old 1st gen Ford Escape and current Focus have almost no dings.
      The newest CX-5 is a big leap in materials quality over the old model, and that includes the paint. That appears IMHO to carry over in the new 3. My '18 is almost entirely blemish free after a year on the road, and that includes a road trip from MD to FL and back.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      04-16-2019 11:54 AM #469
      That is a sharp color combo.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-16-2019 12:08 PM #470
      Can you get that grey color without the black wheels? Black wheels are just... eh.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

21. 04-16-2019 12:30 PM #471
      So I've had my 3 Sport AWD for almost a week and I've spent enough time in it (long weekend road trip to give my initial impressions).

Good:
      -Initial build quality is excellent, no squeaks or rattles and the materials and touch points all feel a step above what a compact sedan should have (Gloss black plastic aside).
      -Excellent sound insulation, very little wind noise and hardly any tire noise.
      -Good handling, feels very nimble and easy to dart in and out of lanes and on twisty roads.
      -Power is more than adequate, its not the fastest thing around, but for day-to-day use its fine. Transmission is also tuned well.
      -HUD is fantastic, clear even with polarized lenses and love that it displays blindspot info.
      -Lights are bright at nighttime and highbeam assistant works well.
      -Wipers are the wet arm variety and shoot an even spread coating the wipers better than normal washers.

Ok:
      -Digital dash isn't the most configurable thing around, but its good for the class
      -Suspension is on the firm side and you can definitely feel it has the torsion beam.
      -Engine note: Meh
      -Fuel economy: 8.0l/100km or about 29MPG mixed driving over 1000km

Annoyances/Bad:
      -The keyfobs are absolutely massive, designed for the sake of design. It looks cool like the new Volvo fobs, but the 3 buttons are tiny and so much wasted space. My pocket really bulges with it.
      -Hard to get a comfortable side mirror position and always feels like I'm looking too far back. Mirror placement could have been better.
      -Random software glitches and user interface annoyances. For some reason the everytime I unlocked the car for a few days it would keep on saying the speed limits for Canada, it magically stopped this week but still weird.
      - Bad design on changing XM stations, you can't use the track forward/back buttons at all, you have click on the control wheel, then scroll down to channel list, then select your channel just to move up or down 1 station....Using favourites doesn't help either, you still have to use the control wheel.
      -Android Auto, as with other Mazda's the interface has massive bezels compared to Carplay. It doesn't help when the screen is already small.
      -Adaptive Cruise random cut out. Not sure if this is just a problem with my vehicle or a wider issue, but the sensor gets blocked very easily and it deactivates cruise. It will magically clear itself after a few minutes, then deactivate again and it will lock out the button to enable/disable cruise.

Otherwise, I'm very smitten.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      04-16-2019 12:42 PM #472
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom21 View Post
      So I've had my 3 Sport AWD for almost a week and I've spent enough time in it (long weekend road trip to give my initial impressions).

Good:
      -Initial build quality is excellent, no squeaks or rattles and the materials and touch points all feel a step above what a compact sedan should have (Gloss black plastic aside).
      -Excellent sound insulation, very little wind noise and hardly any tire noise.
      -Good handling, feels very nimble and easy to dart in and out of lanes and on twisty roads.
      -Power is more than adequate, its not the fastest thing around, but for day-to-day use its fine. Transmission is also tuned well.
      -HUD is fantastic, clear even with polarized lenses and love that it displays blindspot info.
      -Lights are bright at nighttime and highbeam assistant works well.
      -Wipers are the wet arm variety and shoot an even spread coating the wipers better than normal washers.

Ok:
      -Digital dash isn't the most configurable thing around, but its good for the class
      -Suspension is on the firm side and you can definitely feel it has the torsion beam.
      -Engine note: Meh
      -Fuel economy: 8.0l/100km or about 29MPG mixed driving over 1000km

Annoyances/Bad:
      -The keyfobs are absolutely massive, designed for the sake of design. It looks cool like the new Volvo fobs, but the 3 buttons are tiny and so much wasted space. My pocket really bulges with it.
      -Hard to get a comfortable side mirror position and always feels like I'm looking too far back. Mirror placement could have been better.
      -Random software glitches and user interface annoyances. For some reason the everytime I unlocked the car for a few days it would keep on saying the speed limits for Canada, it magically stopped this week but still weird.
      - Bad design on changing XM stations, you can't use the track forward/back buttons at all, you have click on the control wheel, then scroll down to channel list, then select your channel just to move up or down 1 station....Using favourites doesn't help either, you still have to use the control wheel.
      -Android Auto, as with other Mazda's the interface has massive bezels compared to Carplay. It doesn't help when the screen is already small.
      -Adaptive Cruise random cut out. Not sure if this is just a problem with my vehicle or a wider issue, but the sensor gets blocked very easily and it deactivates cruise. It will magically clear itself after a few minutes, then deactivate again and it will lock out the button to enable/disable cruise.

Otherwise, I'm very smitten.
      I get sensor issues all the time with the Miata and the Golf R, especially in winter. I think it's just a function of placement. As for Android Auto, it's not a Mazda problem. It's a Google problem. It doesn't adapt well to widescreen on most manufacturers' platforms.

The digital dash is intentional. Mazda thinks that certain information should only be in certain spots for driver safety reasons. I understand how this could be annoying.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport manual
      04-16-2019 01:55 PM #473
      Saw the grey w/red interior at the Long Beach GP this past weekend and OMG that color combo is insanely nice. I like that the grey has a bit of blue in it. But that dark red interior goes soooo well with that color. I can see it also go well with their dark blue exterior. They also had their signature red exterior...I'd go for that color too, but with their black interior. Mazda is definitely doing things right over the last few years with their model lineups.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      04-16-2019 02:01 PM #474
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom21 View Post
      I'm still wary of Mazda's notoriously thin paint.
      Not at all meant as a defense for more fragile paint, but we use "thin paint" to describe paint that chips easily.. right?
      Oddly enough, thicker paint is actually more likely to chip.
      It would be nice to have some sort of write up by an industry expert about paint types, application types, and the results versus intent.

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32, 16 MX-5 Club, 18 Mazda 3 GT
      04-17-2019 10:20 PM #475
      Quote Originally Posted by kezho View Post
      We bought a 2018 Grand Touring manual w/Premium package for 21,149. The deals on these cars are astounding. I'm glad Mazda still offers a manual on a top trim model.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819