Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mazda3 with SkyActiv-X to Debut in Nov at LA Auto Show

10-17-2018 12:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Mazda needs to bring back the CX-7 while they're at it. No room for a CX-9 in my garage, but the CX-5 is too tight. I'm really surprised that mainstream midsized 2 row segment is so niche. Nothing from Honda, Toyota, VW, Subaru etc.
      Honda Passport is coming

Toyota will probably take another stab at the Venza concept soon. But they are doing just fine with 4Runner which is midsize 5 seat and sells almost as fast as Toyota can ship them across the Pacific.

Subaru sells a midsize 2 row Outback. It is one of the biggest seller in the segment. Not sure what you are going on about nothing from Subaru.

VW is also working on a smaller Atlas with 5 seats.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      10-17-2018 02:03 PM #27
      Mazda needs to bring back the CX-7 while they're at it. No room for a CX-9 in my garage, but the CX-5 is too tight. I'm really surprised that mainstream midsized 2 row segment is so niche. Nothing from Honda, Toyota, VW, Subaru etc.
      CX-7 will return in ~2020 when they start building it at the new plant in Alabama.

10-17-2018 02:21 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      CX-7 will return in ~2020 when they start building it at the new plant in Alabama.
      Hopefully that allows the CX-9 to grow. Mazda really handicapped their sales by making the CX-9 so snug.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      10-17-2018 02:59 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      My Dad has a 2016 Mazda 3 GT with all the goodies. It is a pleasant car to drive, but not nearly as mind-blowing as the reviews had lead me to believe.
      I have one too. It's an economy car, I really wasn't expecting much, although I'd have to say it's worse than my old S2000 in every way outside of utility, and economy, but then again what sedan is actually fun to drive for under 20k that I got the car for? I will agree that the car is pretty damn loud for it's class, the Civic and Corolla are both more refined.

It would be nice to see Mazda have a trim that matches or exceeds the Civic Si in power/handling with the Skyactiv X, but I know that isn't happening.
      I'll probably buy an Skyactiv X equipped one if it's nice and put it on Turo to have essentially a 'free' car.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      10-17-2018 04:16 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      I'd have to say it's worse than my old S2000 in every way outside of utility, and economy,
      No I don't think you have to say that at all. Who has ever said a Mazda3's driving experience compares to an S2000????

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      10-17-2018 04:21 PM #31
      No I don't think you have to say that at all. Who has ever said a Mazda3's driving experience compares to an S2000????
      Yeah, that’s a bit ridiculous.

Considering what the Civic was in 2014 when the Mazda 3 came out it really was a nice and day difference between the two cars. Obviously in 2016 when the 10th gen Civic came out it was improved substantially, but in 2017 the Mazda 3 had a refresh as well with great improvements.

That post lost me when he said the Corolla was more refined.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      10-17-2018 04:29 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      I think he was referring only to the noise level in the cabin, which is where the Mazda3 has always fallen short.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      10-17-2018 04:37 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post

More refined as in I can actually have a conversation on the highway in one.
      In the Mazda, while quality is better, I can have a conversation in a 16 Civic. The 3 I practically have to talk in an heightened voice, regardless of the tires used (and I don't have a roof rack on.)

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI
      10-17-2018 04:54 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      More refined as in I can actually have a conversation on the highway in one.
      In the Mazda, while quality is better, I can have a conversation in a 16 Civic. The 3 I practically have to talk in an heightened voice, regardless of the tires used (and I don't have a roof rack on.)
      I had a rental 2017 Corolla for two weeks while my old car was in the shop and have owned the 2017 Mazda 3 for a good while. The Corolla is more 'refined' in that it does a better job of insulating you from the outside world and from the act of driving. You don't get a lot of feedback, but you also don't get a lot of noise either.

The Mazda 3 gets good reviews because it uses higher quality material and handles a little better than most FWD compacts. However the longer you own it, the more you realize it's just a dressed-up economy car.

One thing I do miss from the 3 is the engine, oddly enough. With the poly transmission mount it had this nice mechanical, slightly grainy engine note. I just wish it had better sound deadening, thicker body panels, a an exterior trunk release handle, and heavier steering at highway speeds.

I think Mazda is serious about positioning itself as a slightly upscale option, but they just haven't really worked out all the fine details.

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-17-2018 05:26 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by squelchy451 View Post

I think Mazda is serious about positioning itself as a slightly upscale option, but they just haven't really worked out all the fine details.
      They're getting there.

They made a huge investment in the CX-5 and heavily refreshed Mazda6 in terms of materials and sound deadening. Driving the two cars back to back with their predecessors is like night and day.

Plus, they've been investing in dealer improvements (my store included) - we're in the middle of a full overhaul to elevate the showroom from it's bare-bones airport hangar appearance to a woodgrain and brushed metal motif with a bigger focus on customer experience. Hell of a difference.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      10-17-2018 05:36 PM #36
      This is a new generation that promises to boost refinement so I’m excited to see what the outcome is.

13. 11-08-2018 11:49 PM #37
      It looks like the sedan and Hatchback will be less similar than in the past. The creases in the side profile look like different vehicles now.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      11-09-2018 05:36 AM #38
      it would be awesome if they drew a wagon version from that hatch.

Mazda needs to work out some quality kinks to get me back as a buyer, but their cars are about as good as it gets, for the price. Volkswagen just seems like the better contender for now.

Really looking forward to seeing this new 3.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      11-09-2018 08:06 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by hoodlum90 View Post
      It looks like the sedan and Hatchback will be less similar than in the past. The creases in the side profile look like different vehicles now.

that blind spot on the hatch is sick
      My Flickr // IG - @mwoodski
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

16. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-09-2018 09:35 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      They're getting there.

They made a huge investment in the CX-5 and heavily refreshed Mazda6 in terms of materials and sound deadening. Driving the two cars back to back with their predecessors is like night and day.

Plus, they've been investing in dealer improvements (my store included) - we're in the middle of a full overhaul to elevate the showroom from it's bare-bones airport hangar appearance to a woodgrain and brushed metal motif with a bigger focus on customer experience. Hell of a difference.
      Agreed about refinement. I had a rental 2018 Mazda6 last month and it felt every bit as refined as the best cars I've driven.

However, my sales experience three years ago with Mazda was...not good. All the usual BS of let me check with my manager ("checking" for a half hour), no your trade in is only worth $1500 even though it's in good condition and KBB/Edmunds says $3500, F&I "required" nonsense, etc. I'm not a grinder on price, so I was really surprised and disappointed that they were hassling me when I was making my best effort to be a good and reasonable customer. Made me never want to buy one again, unfortunately.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      11-09-2018 09:49 AM #41
      Mazda was down over 10% in October sales versus last year. Across-the-line drop, including all of their CUVs. CX-9 was down the least at 6.2%, with 1,848 sold. Subaru sold over 6,000 Ascents.

I want to like Mazda, in-laws have an NB that's a hoot to drive, and came close to going with a Mazda3 for a commuter, but the dealer wouldn't budge on price and it was 3.5K more than a Focus.

It really does feel like they are going up a half-step in luxury, again like Subaru tried over a decade ago, but that is really tough to do. If they sized their interiors better, AND had the best driving characteristics AND a step-up in luxury, then I could see them settling into a good niche, but the path they are on is worrisome if they don't partner with another company.

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      11-09-2018 09:57 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy View Post
      It really does feel like they are going up a half-step in luxury, again like Subaru tried over a decade ago, but that is really tough to do. If they sized their interiors better, AND had the best driving characteristics AND a step-up in luxury, then I could see them settling into a good niche, but the path they are on is worrisome if they don't partner with another company.
      They kind of already did that with the first Mazda 3. They were basically the first company to follow VW's lead and bring out a more premium-feeling compact car.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      11-09-2018 10:00 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Agreed about refinement. I had a rental 2018 Mazda6 last month and it felt every bit as refined as the best cars I've driven.

However, my sales experience three years ago with Mazda was...not good. All the usual BS of let me check with my manager ("checking" for a half hour), no your trade in is only worth $1500 even though it's in good condition and KBB/Edmunds says $3500, F&I "required" nonsense, etc. I'm not a grinder on price, so I was really surprised and disappointed that they were hassling me when I was making my best effort to be a good and reasonable customer. Made me never want to buy one again, unfortunately.
      They knew that the differential girdle springs on your trade in were worn. Not to mention the tremmie pipe.

20. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-09-2018 10:49 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      They knew that the differential girdle springs on your trade in were worn. Not to mention the tremmie pipe.
      I should have known! Speaking of which, the rear differential did start leaking on the Escape I was trading in about six months before we were ready to buy the new car. But I paid $700 and had it fixed.

Vehicles
      '18 Mazda 6 GT-Reserve, '89 Honda Prelude
      11-09-2018 12:31 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy View Post
      ....but the path they are on is worrisome if they don't partner with another company.
      Off the top of my head they’re partners with Toyota and Fiat/Alfa. They’re building a joint plant with Toyota which is rumored to build a FR plank that the next 6 might be on. The Yaris iA is a rebadged Mazda 2. Mazda is supposedly going to borrow hybrid tech from Toyota and Toyota is looking at adapting Mazda rotary engines for their hybrid powertrains.

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-09-2018 12:47 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDude View Post
      Off the top of my head they’re partners with Toyota and Fiat/Alfa. They’re building a joint plant with Toyota which is rumored to build a FR plank that the next 6 might be on. The Yaris iA is a rebadged Mazda 2. Mazda is supposedly going to borrow hybrid tech from Toyota and Toyota is looking at adapting Mazda rotary engines for their hybrid powertrains.
      I hope Toyota and Mazda build a closer partnership.
      Several years ago a prominent analyst said that a Toyota-Mazda partnership would benefit both companies considering their different philosophies (based on home locations in Japan).

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-27-2018 10:00 AM #47
      Today is apparently the day. Looking forward to what we'll see!

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      11-27-2018 12:16 PM #48
      Yup, I'm watching the live stream tonight.

This will most likely be my next car.

Sent from a telephone

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      11-27-2018 12:24 PM #49

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      11-27-2018 01:00 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Reminds me of a Buick in that position.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast