VWVortex.com - 1966 vw beetle for first car?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1966 vw beetle for first car?

1. 06-19-2018 02:10 PM #1
      Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I am 15 years old and I have been looking for a car for the past year. I have been looking at older cherokee xjs, Nissan d21 hardbody pickups, and many older and classic cars. The classic vw beetle has been my favorite car for as long as I can remember and we actually have an all original, mostly stock 66' beetle in our garage. It was my father's car before he passed away. It means a lot to me. Even though the beetle is my favorite car I never thought about driving it because of it's age and how much it means to me. Recently I have been thinking about daily driving it in high school. I thought it would be fun and cool. I know it is not the most reliable car but I am learning how to work on them. If I drove it I would be very careful and I would keep everything stock. It is in pretty good condition except for the whole interior and the brakes. I am wondering if it would be a good first car and a good daily driver?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '08 Volvo S80
      06-22-2018 09:49 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by sc4u2c View Post
      I am wondering if it would be a good first car and a good daily driver?
      Yes.

Just bring a lot of spare parts, learn how these cars work, and plan to maintain the car every four months.

4. 06-23-2018 02:32 PM #3
      depends on the state/country i guess. I live in Minnesota where it varies between -30 and 105 degree F and wouldn't lol. but in other states or countries with milder weather that might be okay. You would definitively want to get a shop manual like this one ---V

as already mentioned, you would also want to fashion a tool kit specific to the various things on the car. They are super easy to work on but i recommend getting one that is in good shape if possible. (body and drive terrain)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2003 GTi VR6, 1966 1300
      04-06-2019 07:54 PM #4
      Since this threat is almost a year old, I was wondering what you decided?

7. 09-15-2019 01:14 AM #5
      It should be noted that the author of the idiot book liked the 66 model the best. Also, there is a website for that specific model year.. 1966vwbeetle.com