VWVortex.com - Oil pressure issue
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil pressure issue

1. 07-03-2018 12:15 PM #1
      To start this off I drive a 2011 A3 2.0 Quattro. Lately the engine oil pressure warning has been coming on intermittently. Only conditions I have noticed is warmer days, driving for 1+ hours, at 1500 RPM or less and oil temp 100-108 C. But here's the weird thing. It only comes on for 5 sec and then goes off. If you shut the car off and restart it it'll stay off. The engine isn't making any noises (no lifter tapping or bottom end knock.) And it doesn't happen everyday. Yesterday it was 93 out and it didn't have an issue.

Thinking that it was time for an oil change anyway and that the viscosity my have broken down I did an oil change with a new Mann filter and mobile 1 0w40 oil, then thinking that it maybe a bad sensor I changed that but the light came back on today.

So here are my questions. Are there any common failures on the TSI motors that can cause an intermittent loss of pressure? How do I test the pressure and where can I get said tester? Can anyone think of any other things that may be a "simple" fix issue that I may be missing?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-05-2018 07:42 AM #2
      Bump for some help...?

4. 08-01-2018 07:08 PM #3
      So the saga continues. I finally found a manual pressure gauge to test it and it seems to be at spec... 14PSI (1 bar) at idle 35 PSI (2.4 bar) at 2000 RPM and 50 PSI (3.4 bar) at 3500 RPM. Light has not come back on for a while (3 weeks) and still no bad noises. soooo... any one have any ideas?

Vehicles
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      09-05-2018 03:29 PM #4
      I kind of have a similar issue. Saturday I was on my way up to see some friends in the mountains and while I was on the way(30-45mins) into the trip and stuck in some expected traffic my red oil light came on and said low oil pressure. I pulled right over, popped the hood, and checked the oil level. I also let the car cool for about 10 minutes. When I started the car back up and the light was off so I turned around and slowly drove home. Yesterday was the first time I drove the car since it happened and the light is still out and the car seems to drive fine, but I have a race this weeekend so I am dropping the car off at my tuner this evening. I will post here or on my build page once I hear back from them.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      09-06-2018 04:47 PM #5
      ive had similar issues. first time it wouldnt go off and was a piece of debris in the screen of the oil pump. after that it was the oil pressure sensor (replaced 3x).

Vehicles
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      09-06-2018 10:55 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post
      ive had similar issues. first time it wouldnt go off and was a piece of debris in the screen of the oil pump. after that it was the oil pressure sensor (replaced 3x).
      Yeah man I just went back and re read your posts about it the other day when all this started. I should be getting my car back tomorrow evening. Sadly I won't be going racing this weekend.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

8. 09-11-2019 10:20 PM #7
      So I know I'm reviving an old thread but I wanted to update on what I had found out. pulled the cams our and plastigauged them, pulled the rod caps off and plastigauged them and all checked out. I reassembled back together and once again on a warm day with the oil temp at ~110C light blipped back on. Decided that I'd drive it till it broke then I would know what to fix but I wanted to add an oil cooler because I didn't have an issue until oil temp exceeded ~95-98C. Before the oil cooler the only time I had above 30lbs of pressure was at cold startup. After oil came up to temp (80C) the pressure would be at 28-30lbs at redline 21-25lbs at 3500 and close to 7-8 lbs at idle. It took me a while to get the cooler on with no leaks but now I have no less than 12lbs at idle and 60lbs at red line with a whopping 40lbs at 3500. I'm not sure if there was a pressure relief valve that was stuck or if my relocation kit for my sensors had a blockage but I replaced the pressure switch back in it's correct location and my sending unit for my gauge is in an accessory port in the sandwich plate for my cooler. All in all I couldn't be happier with the results and the added benefit is I haven't seen an oil temp above 93C since adding the cooler even with some spirited driving on warmer days.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      09-11-2019 11:22 PM #8
      I've been having the same problem, I posted in the Technical section under the 2.0 type 1 and 2. I've replaced the oil sensor and the oil level/sensor on the oil pan. Still had it happen once since then. Has happened three times, each time after a bit freeway driving and then after a couple blocks on the city streets at lower speeds, it goes off. I've been using Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40, I'm thinking of switching oils.
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3
      09-13-2019 09:00 PM #9
      Sorry if this is late, but this *might* help. Sometimes the little screen on the VVT control valve can break off and get trapped in / around the camshaft and cause intermittent oil pressure issues. I've never had an issue with my oil pressure (knocks on wood ) but if you're going inside the engine anyway I would check.

Edit: link to diagram that shows where the VVT control valve is located on the forward camshaft. https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/2-...t-diagram.html

11. 09-16-2019 02:28 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dale333 View Post
      I've been having the same problem, I posted in the Technical section under the 2.0 type 1 and 2. I've replaced the oil sensor and the oil level/sensor on the oil pan. Still had it happen once since then. Has happened three times, each time after a bit freeway driving and then Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi after a couple blocks on the city streets at lower speeds, it goes off. I've been using Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40, I'm thinking of switching oils.
      Thinking that it was time for an oil change anyway and that the viscosity my have broken down I did an oil change with a new Mann filter and mobile 1 0w40 oil, then thinking that it maybe a bad sensor I changed that but the light came back on today.
      Last edited by BAILIYA; 09-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.