The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2018 Mazda CX-5 diesel kinda stinks

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      09-13-2018 03:01 PM #76
      It's just like The Car lounge of old.
      Every thread somehow becomes about VW.

Any possibility VW will offer a 1.0 tsi Golf in the US for a better entry level car (lower price)?
      3 cyl ftw.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      09-13-2018 03:13 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
      https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...-improve-mpgs/

Whatever the reason the EPA ratings were simply too low for the compact segment. You're right, people shop by EPA sticker, so having a 30/40 mpg sticker on the Golf will only help move more of them.
      In the current market, it's way more important for VW models to have a efficient image than actually be efficient. (this is sad but true of probably everybody now. mazda needs to take note and tune for the epa mpg test like everybody else)
      Most drivers don't ever calculate their own mpg except once in best case scenario (long trip with fill ups, all highway) to quote for then on about how good it is.

4. 02-08-2019 11:14 AM #78
      CX-5 Diesel is still coming.

https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2...a-cx-5-diesel/

at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, Moro insisted the CX-5 diesel remains in the company's cards. When Mazda chooses to show those cards, however, is up in the air, as a specific timeline for the model was not provided. Nevertheless, Moro did acknowledge the CX-5 diesel will arrive at some point in the 2019 calendar year. And given that the EPA reports no fuel economy figures for a 2019 model-year CX-5 diesel, we believe the engine will officially be available in the 2020 CX-5.

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      05-30-2019 05:14 PM #79
      Crazy- I was shot so down on this one, and in the end, they are bringing it. Told it would be here by July upon order.

05-30-2019 07:12 PM #80
      YOu will be the coolest crossover parked in the parking lot outside of the car show.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      05-30-2019 07:22 PM #81
      It will not sell well at that price.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      05-30-2019 08:07 PM #82
      $1000+ for a destination fee??
      Nirvana.

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-30-2019 08:13 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Crazy- I was shot so down on this one, and in the end, they are bringing it. Told it would be here by July upon order.

Someone is laughing all the way to the bank (Hint - it's not you).

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-30-2019 08:17 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      $1000+ for a destination fee??
      FCA charges $1,400 and that's for shipping from OH to other states. Same deal with Tesla. They charge $1,200. Destination prices have crept up like crazy. While I'm sure some of it is due to rising transportation costs, it seems like many automakers are taking the opportunity to disproportionately increase the destination fee to boost their bottom line.

Vehicles
      05-31-2019 12:58 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      Someone is laughing all the way to the bank (Hint - it's not you).
      I didn't buy it, just screenshot the website for ordering. So just laughing at all the haters is all.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      05-31-2019 01:40 PM #86
      What's the point of trying to sell diesel passenger cars in US anymore? Not really fuel economy, and average driver will not understand anything about low end torque and whatever else diesel fans rave about. Not to mention emission complexities these new diesel engines are equipped with...Just kill the damn thing already and re-direct resources to EVs.

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI PP; 2018 VW Tiguan
      05-31-2019 01:51 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by child_in_time View Post
      What's the point of trying to sell diesel passenger cars in US anymore? Not really fuel economy, and average driver will not understand anything about low end torque and whatever else diesel fans rave about. Not to mention emission complexities these new diesel engines are equipped with...Just kill the damn thing already and re-direct resources to EVs.
      I can come up with two:

- give us options
      - don't get dumbed-down by average driver
      2016 VW GTI PP
      2018 VW Tiguan

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      05-31-2019 02:18 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by child_in_time View Post
      Diesel is still the best solution for those people who have long highway commutes IMO. If I was racking up 150km a day driving back and forth to work I'd still be driving a VW TDI. Gas has certainly closed the gap but I don't think it will ever equal it.

I do miss the range of my 2010 TDI wagon, last weekend I did a 550km round trip in my Alltrack to sell a bicycle and made it home with 60km of range to spare. My TDI would have had about 360km of range to spare on the same size tank.

Regarding the CX-5 D, they'll sell DOZENS of them! On paper the there doesn't look to be a rational to go with the D, let's see what happens in the real world.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-31-2019 05:57 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Diesel is still the best solution for those people who have long highway commutes IMO. If I was racking up 150km a day driving back and forth to work I'd still be driving a VW TDI. Gas has certainly closed the gap but I don't think it will ever equal it.

I do miss the range of my 2010 TDI wagon, last weekend I did a 550km round trip in my Alltrack to sell a bicycle and made it home with 60km of range to spare. My TDI would have had about 360km of range to spare on the same size tank.

Regarding the CX-5 D, they'll sell DOZENS of them! On paper the there doesn't look to be a rational to go with the D, let's see what happens in the real world.
      I have a 50 mile each way commute (what we would traditionally consider ideal for diesel), and I'm really struggling to see the value equation on the Skyactiv-D CX-5. The marginally better fuel efficiency is almost completely offset by the higher fuel price for diesel. Throw in the added complexity of the SCR and DPF, and I don't see running costs being any cheaper than the gas version. If one is buying a diesel for the environmental aspects, then even that is in question. The CX-5 diesel has higher CO2 emissions (global warming) and higher NOx emissions (smog forming) than even gas turbo CX-5.
      =

Vehicles
      05-31-2019 06:02 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      I have a 50 mile each way commute (what we would traditionally consider ideal for diesel), and I'm really struggling to see the value equation on the Skyactiv-D CX-5. The marginally better fuel efficiency is almost completely offset by the higher fuel price for diesel. Throw in the added complexity of the SCR and DPF, and I don't see running costs being any cheaper than the gas version. If one is buying a diesel for the environmental aspects, then even that is in question. The CX-5 diesel has higher CO2 emissions (global warming) and higher NOx emissions (smog forming) than even gas turbo CX-5.
      It does include 2 years of comprehensive "diesel maintenance" so I doubt initial operating costs will hurt it- It is the fact they chose to put it on only the top signature trim which is throwing off the people who can't see through glass and realize the price is backed by the content, not the motor.

Vehicles
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      05-31-2019 06:27 PM #91
      It does include 2 years of comprehensive "diesel maintenance" so I doubt initial operating costs will hurt it- It is the fact they chose to put it on only the top signature trim which is throwing off the people who can't see through glass and realize the price is backed by the content, not the motor.
      However, a similar equipped gas cx5 in sig trim, costs... 38,530 vs 41595, meaning the D adds over $3k to the price of the very top trim.

I really want to love that Mazda is bringing Diesels to the US. But that sort of premium for the motor, and not really being a "head and shoulders above the rest" standout in power/torque/economy, etc over the gas models is problematic.

It's just not a terribly compelling option when it costs so much, mostly due to being only in the top trim... to only get 2-4mpg improvements over the cx5 gas models.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-31-2019 06:29 PM #92
      I believe Mazda went to 10k oil change intervals on the diesel, so they’re covering up to 3 changes. They already cover the first one on gas models. So you get an additional 2 for free. The free maintenance is worth maybe $150 by my estimate.
      =

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      05-31-2019 07:14 PM #93
      The signature 2.5T is $5,000 cheaper.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-31-2019 08:09 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      It's just not a terribly compelling option when it costs so much, mostly due to being only in the top trim... to only get 2-4mpg improvements over the cx5 gas models.
      This. I struggle with who is Mazda's intended customer?

Enthusiasts? They'll probably buy the gasoline turbo.

Road warriors who want low running costs? The n/a Skyactiv-G is a better option IMO.

Environmentalists? Either gas option is better for the environment.
      =

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-31-2019 09:20 PM #95
      I wonder the same thing. Feels like a wasted development expenditure about 7 years too late.

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      05-31-2019 09:43 PM #96
      I honestly wanted to get one. Trade in our 2014. We paid $25k for ours then so not seeing a reason to go to $42k.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 M3
      05-31-2019 10:49 PM #97
      I liked my Mk6 TDI, but I was incensed by VW's blatant cheating and the ensuing attempt at a cover-up. We all should have realized something was fishy when they opted against employing the AdBlue system, which they co-developed with Mercedes, and then essentially claimed they could hit their consumption/emissions targets without it. It's becoming quite clear that diesel cannot maintain it's fuel consumption advantage while also delivering on CO2 and NOx emissions. Therefore, it's time to start winding down it's use.

Enthusiasts? They'll probably buy the gasoline turbo.

Road warriors who want low running costs? The n/a Skyactiv-G is a better option IMO.

Environmentalists? Either gas option is better for the environment.
      This.

Bye, diesel.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      09-28-2019 12:59 PM #98
      The US version has a lower compression ratio AND must keep the exhaust hotter for emissions (intentional un-burnt fuel to add heat?), which makes the US version less efficient than the ROW version.
      That sucks because I was looking at the ROW tests to see performance and economy.

Motortrend tested one recently.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazd...t-test-review/

And got 28.5 mpg combined including testing.
      They seemed flat on it.. but that's actually good since most of their vehicles get below the EPA estimates when they drive them.
      For example:
      https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...-term-verdict/
      Base CRV LX front wheel drive got just 26.2 mpg in their use as a daily.

So no- the diesel won't pay for itself in fuel savings.
      It's also not a fast accelerating vehicle, but the torque and (will beat the EPA estimate highway number imo) mpg should make it a good long legged highway car.

25. 10-18-2019 11:44 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I wonder the same thing. Feels like a wasted development expenditure about 7 years too late.
      It looks like Mazda is just testing the market for diesels in the US. They will be announcing a new diesel engine in 2020. If they can find a solution that doesn't require Urea additive then they can reduce cost, complexity and improve efficiency making Diesel more attractive again.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...gine-next-year

Mazda's Europe R&D, boss Christian Schultze, said: “We are sticking to diesel engines. In 2020, we have a new approach to diesel engines. We will show you how clean and very efficient diesel engines can be.”

Asked if it would use similar technology to Mazda's recently launched spark-plug-controlled compression ignition Skyactive-X petrol engine, he said: “We will surprise you next year,” adding “ there are not so many differences between petrol and diesel.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234