VWVortex.com - Diesels are dying a slow painful death in England, while PHEV is taking over...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Diesels are dying a slow painful death in England, while PHEV is taking over...

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Golf VI, 1.6 TDI
      08-27-2018 06:27 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Small cars are a great example of this. The Chevy Cruze diesel emits MORE CO2 than the gasoline version even with the advantage of a 9-speed auto to the gasoline model's 6-speed.

Same story for the CX-5 diesel. The diesel is dirtier and emits significantly more CO2.

Diesels don't make any sense for small cars at all.
      Im not so familiar with these numbers, do they include the production emissions of gas/diesel ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      08-27-2018 06:43 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      One would think the climate-nazi's would love diesels. They emit substantially lower CO2 emissions than gasoline engines do. They seem to realize this, and hence change the source of contention to the higher (NOx) emissions (poor air for the humans and aminals). With the climate-nazi's tendency to put the planet's health above m̶a̶n̶k̶i̶n̶d̶'̶s̶ peoplekind's health, their willingness to abandon their principals when it comes to diesel engines calls into question their motives. It looks to me like once they successfully banish diesels they will promptly come after gasoline cars as well, as they are the engines truly warming the Earth, in their view. This tactic of using humanism is even more suspect when you realize the climate-nazis fail to admit how many millions, perhaps billions of human lives the internal combustion engine, and fossil fuels in general have saved over the last 100 years.
      Why is CO2 the only emission measurement we should care about?

Comparing Golf 1.8T (gas) vs the last year sold US Golf TDI (both 2015 MY auto) the US EPA smog rating is 9 out of 10 for the gas and 3 out of 10 for the diesel, higher number being better for planet earth.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-27-2018 07:31 AM #78
      I don't know. Just think about how many people rely on food transported to their location via semi truck.

Lots of Africans (literally hundreds of millions) rely on western aid delivered by ICE power.
      You're operating on the assumption that there aren't other ways they could get their food, or that they wouldn't move to where more food was available in ICE's absence etc. The biggest driver of life expectancy increases over the last century was the curing of most communicable diseases, not the ICE.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      08-27-2018 08:52 AM #79
      Because the climate-nazi's want to outright ban the ICE in less than 20 years in certain countries.

This is not a practical thing to do for large swaths of the population, particularly the poor and those in remote rugged areas. It's a stupid thing to do.

Ask the climate-nazi's why it has to be either-or. I'm in favor of a free-market, all solutions welcome approach, banning nothing.
      No one in this thread is advocating a ban of ICE engines, and I think we can all use more intelligent words than "Nazi" to describe those that we disagree with.
      =

6. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      08-27-2018 09:26 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      No one in this thread is advocating a ban of ICE engines, and I think we can all use more intelligent words than "Nazi" to describe those that we disagree with.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-27-2018 10:01 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by loyfah View Post
      Im new to these numbers, do they include the emissions from production of gas/diesel ?
      Without digging in, I think this is the tailpipe emissions themselves. Diesel gets more miles per gallon, but each gallon of diesel is more carbon-dense.

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...kPage=x&ZyPURL

Gasoline - 8,887 grams CO2/gallon
      Diesel - 10,180 grams CO2/gallon

08-27-2018 10:04 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by loyfah View Post
      Im new to these numbers, do they include the emissions from production of gas/diesel ?
      No, because there's no such thing as just making diesel or just making gasoline. When a refinery runs, it makes about a dozen different kinds of fuel at a time, each being sold to someone else as a specific product. So in a sense, they are all equal on the production side because there's no such thing as making only one fuel or another when the base stock is oil. It would be a different story with a different base stock, such as E85 is almost entirely corn ethanol in the US and there's some cars running natural gas, which is obviously a different base stock. Even further back, in the early days they experiemented with making fuel from coal via fischer-tropsch processing. In the modern era though gas & diesel all basically come from the same base stock, same refinery, just different layers of the same barrel of oil.

"42 gallons per barrel makes about 19½ gallons of gasoline, 9 gallons of fuel oil, 4 gallons of jet fuel, and 11 gallons of other products, including lubricants, kerosene, asphalt, and petrochemical feedstocks to make plastics. That adds up to more than 42 gallons because of something called "refinery gain" - the processing and chemical changes increase the volume."
      Last edited by AZGolf; 08-27-2018 at 10:08 AM.

08-27-2018 12:39 PM #83
      [RogueTDI]*I"M* *A* *MAN*!!!![/RogueTDI]

RogueTDI reminds me of the guy Mr. Regular is destroying in this video.

Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      '15 BMW i3 REx
      08-27-2018 05:41 PM #84
      Ah TCL - how I've missed you!
      --Chris

Vehicles
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      08-27-2018 07:47 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      [RogueTDI]*I"M* *A* *MAN*!!!![/RogueTDI]

RogueTDI reminds me of the guy Mr. Regular is destroying in this video.
      I was thinking more like Uncle Pulltab
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234