Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: BMW E36 drift car thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      01-14-2020 01:25 PM #151
      bit of a update. last event was dec 21st and had a great time driving with people. i was also helping out some people that were new to tandems. unfortunetly it bit me a bit. lead driver spun on entry, i spun and stopped and the third car wasnt able to stop in time so i got sandwiched. my fault for letting the 3rd car follow even though the first car agreed but thats drifting. i always tell people who are new to tandems that if they are leading to drive there line. do not worry about the car behind. they are responsible to not hit you and if you are paying attention to the car behind then you arent paying enough attention to what you are doing. and thats exactly what the lead driver did fortunetly there was no mechanical damage. unfortunetly it added another $700+ in repairs i needed to do this winter. what got damaged was rear bumper blown apart, front bumper exploded, rad support bent, frame rail bent, nose panel bent, bash bar bent, ac condensor broken, headlight tabs broken and fender/hood crinkled. i was able to rip the parts off and finish driving that day. already have new front bumper, replacement rear bumper, new glass headlights, new turn signals, new nose panel (not shown), replacement core support, new tail lights and some 4" led lights i need to find a place to mount for night drifting. car is being taken to my cage builder soonish to get the rear straightened out enough that the trunk closes, frame fixed and bash bar fixed. once it is back i will test fit all the new parts and then send them to my painter to get them paint matched. i was able to kind of straighten the hood and fender so that i wont need to replace and paint them too. i also got a go pro 8 for xmas so this season there will be a lot more videos.

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

i also found out that it kinked the fender support a bit. did my best to straighten it out so that the rad support could fit. i got it close and just slotted the hole the remaining 1/4" it needed to fit. it still drifted fine so i dont think it affected the car to much.

kink looks way worse in picture. that groove is factory

Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2020 01:37 PM #152
      Sucks about the wreck, but that sh*t happens.

Glad to see you're throwing it all back together.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      01-24-2020 02:44 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Sucks about the wreck, but that sh*t happens.

Glad to see you're throwing it all back together.
      thats drifting and everyone was OK which is the most important (miata airbags blew).

car goes to the roll cage guy tomorrow to get it all fixed. once it gets back I will test fit all the new parts and once they are fitting good enough they will be sent off to get paint done.

today I got the washer system actually working which I have wanted for a long time. just the driver side for right now as the passenger nozzle is broken and I dont have a Y junction on hand. will do a cleaner install when the car gets back.

also looked closer at my new headlights and they take different style bulbs and there is no way my HID will fit. had to tear apart the headlights and drill out some mounting holes to make the HID lens fit on the new headlights. got it all set up and working. cant wait to get the car back and the parts painted

here some film shots a buddy sent me from a couple events

Last edited by freedo84gti; 01-24-2020 at 02:56 PM.
      Instagram! @freedo70
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

5. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-24-2020 02:59 PM #154
      All good work man.

Film shots are a nice touch.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2020 07:02 PM #155
      just picked the car up today and he did a good job getting it pretty straight for how ****ed I had the ass end and the front end. he also redesigned the bashbar so now it is way stronger and can support the weight of the car if needed.

I have been kicking around this old autolite truck horn for 9 years now and never knew what to install it on until now. it is so loud. stock horn for comparison

got the headlights installed and wired up. and I also installed some LED pods on the bash bar to help with seeing sideways at night

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02-14-2020 06:21 PM #156
      made a new switch panel out of a piece of hood from my old e34 wagon. pretty happy with it even though its far from perfect. hold the fan switch, horn button, window switches and hazard switch. need to trim a little more off of it, paint and then mount it

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Various Stages of Crap
      02-15-2020 10:29 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      just picked the car up today and he did a good job getting it pretty straight for how ****ed I had the ass end and the front end. he also redesigned the bashbar so now it is way stronger and can support the weight of the car if needed.

Ok this is weird I passed that house atleast a zillion times going to the harrys u pull it up the street! He used to have a lowered teal beretta possibly outside for a long time and must have moved it because I didnt see it lately. Always had neat stuff in driveway
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02-15-2020 11:54 AM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by Ace_VR6 View Post
      Ok this is weird I passed that house atleast a zillion times going to the harrys u pull it up the street! He used to have a lowered teal beretta possibly outside for a long time and must have moved it because I didnt see it lately. Always had neat stuff in driveway
      barry is awesome and a wild man. that berreta is a rwd conversion he did almost 10 years ago I think. he is now getting around to fixing it since his fab skills have greatly improved since he built it currently being turboed too. his light blue e36 is turboed and has been making 400+whp for over 5 years and never had the engine apart. he is also building his own inground outdoor dyno.

@getyourspankon on IG
      Last edited by freedo84gti; 02-15-2020 at 11:56 AM.
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-02-2020 12:32 PM #159
      been waiting to get a few things done to do a big update and here it is.

got the switch panel finished and installed

the exhaust tips never really exited the bumper right so i cut and welded the tips along with added actual exhaust hangers. sits right and doesnt move anymore. just gotta finish welding the hangers which will be this week

cut and welded on the right. straight edge to show the new angle

welded to the factory hanger

cleaned up all the wiring for the fan, horn and foglights by replacing the spade connectors with proper connectors for longevity and quick disconnect when needed

new metal on the bash bars painted

new seat arrived and picked up replacement condensor

making a seat bracket out of these

drilling mounting holes

welding table already coming in handy

test fit

marking mounting holes

mounting holes drilled

more test fitting

its in!

and then its out cause i was dumb and didnt realize i couldnt mount the lap belts to the seat base. so a reinforced plate was needed for the trans tunnel to mount the seat belt too. started with this piece of steel from some piece of work out equipment my parents had when i was a kid

cut to size and fitment. about 3"x2"

welded a nut to the back side then welded the whole thing to the trans tunnel. didnt do the best job but it will hold

quick coat of paint and bolt the belt on

rocker side had a factory seatbelt hole that was in a basically perfect enough spot that i ran with it

washer system wired to the factory broken wires and mounted in. currently on running one nozzle but its better than nothing

made a permant fix for the hood release that has been flopping around and didnt fit in factory location anymore. cut and modified a bmx brake lever and mounted it to the car

quick coat of paint and it looks good and works perfectly

bumpers, nose panel and trim all came back from paint. came out really good. cant believe i spent good money on parts im gonna bash apart

mounted. will give it a wash this weekend

not to many things left to do on it. gotta order kidney grilles, change the oil, get the 2.93 dif welded and installed, order some tires, nut and bolt check and its pretty much ready for the first event at the end of the month
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

11. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-02-2020 12:51 PM #160
      Turned out great.
      Instagram - efrie004

12. 03-03-2020 09:01 AM #161
      I was so confused when I saw the pics of the harness mounted to the seat bracket. Glad you found a better option! Car's looking great! I can't wait to get back out there with you and see this thing rip
      https://www.youtube.com/bennyobscene

Wendy the Westy! - living in vanagon down by the river
      Drift Car Build! - now with (V8!) drift car content!
      Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2020 10:36 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      I was so confused when I saw the pics of the harness mounted to the seat bracket. Glad you found a better option! Car's looking great! I can't wait to get back out there with you and see this thing rip
      yeahhh. in my mind it made no difference since it was a fixed point that was bolted to the factory seat floor location. my driver side is mounted to the actual factory seat bolts. its just a annoying spot for them to be. but i understand now why its not the most ideal location
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2020 08:31 AM #163
      cant believe I never posted this video. one of my favorite runs of the season

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-24-2020 01:21 PM #164
      sad news. with all the **** going on in the world drifting has been cancelled until gatherings are permitted also was prepping the 2.93 i picked up to be welded and i decided to check the gear ratio for ****s and giggles, turn out its a 3.15. my fault for not checking and the guy i bought it off of is not the smartest car guy in the world. thankfully it was only $20 and i sold it to a buddy for the same price. so still searching for a 2.93 diff.

good news is i finally got some kidney grills installed basically completely the last of the cosmetic things i wanted to do.

also swapped my .75 hydro master for a .625. makes the pull so much softer compared to what felt like hitting a wall when the brakes started to lock up. hopefully that helps the horrific arm pain it was causing after sessions.

pulled the plugs and coils to check them out. not as black as i was expecting with all the start ups over the winter that never really last longer than a minute

and i got bored and had some extra blue paint laying around so i rewired the tow dolly and then paint matched the fenders. started to run out of paint so the one is a little blotchy on the color

basically i am now just waiting for a event to actually happen. only things left on the list of things that need to be done is a oil change. other things i may get around to doing is finding the 2.93 diff, figuring out the short in the turn signals that immediately blows the fuse, buy bulb holders for the tail lights as it is missing a bunch, bulb holder for a front turn signal, some heat shielding for the passenger floor and get the AC recharged. i cant wait to be back to drifting
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2020 04:44 PM #165
      good news! first event should be happening may 9th at the insane WV track. gonna be fun that the first event back will be on unforgiving track 4 hours from home gonna do a oil change and drive it around the block to make sure its as ready as i can possibly make it. if all goes well i will hopefully have a few videos to share as i will finally be able to try out the new go pro and roof mount
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2020 02:27 PM #166
      packed and ready for WV tomorrow. hopefully the car still works and I still know how to drive

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2020 02:46 PM #167
      first event of the year was amazing. the car ran extremely well and didnt miss a beat... except when i burst into flames in the first 30 mins i heard my RR tire let go on the 2nd to last turn. me being me that doesnt bother me so i went to drift the last turn and started to smell something bad and 2 seconds later the entire cabin was filled with thick black smoke and i had to stop. what happened was when the tire let go it hit the fuel vapor return hose and when i went for the last drift the full tank a fuel sloshed gas out and sparks from the tire caused it to ignite. took 3 extinguishers to put out. damage was the entire brake light harness was destroyed and needs to be cut and spliced now, burned the paint of the quarter and worst of all burnt and melted my freshly painted rear bumper took about 30 mins to cut the tail light wires back and tape them up, replace a blown fuse that killed my temp and fuel gauge and plug the 2 vapor lines with bolts and electrical tape. after that the car ran flawlessly. i have some videos that i will attempt to upload to youtube later and more media will be coming out soon. probably be back here next month

LS powered 350z

LS powered 240 that was stuck in 2nd

i think the car lit up on this run as i only made a few runs before the fire and as you can see here my bumper is still together

untitled (1 of 1)-12 by Barry Margetich, on Flickr

untitled (1 of 1)-13 by Barry Margetich, on Flickr

end result of over 7 mins of non stop drifting

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-12-2020 03:08 PM #168
      Thanks for adding more pictures.
      Instagram - efrie004

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2020 04:46 PM #169
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 06:09 PM #170
      starting to dig into the burned wiring harness and its worse than I thought. went and cut a tail light harness to splice into the old harness. same year car but a 4dr. I knew the tail lights were different but I didnt know the harness plugs were pinned differently so thats a issue I need to deal with now. brand new drivers tail light needs to be replaced as it got to melted on the back side and it started to fall apart. found more burned wires from shorts in the parcel tray and fixed them up. after fixing every bad wire I could find in the trunk area I still had a small battery draw the would not go away no matter which fuse I pulled out. investigated further and found out some of the harness got burned up in the drivers footwell. still working on separating and taping them all up but I think that is where my draw is coming from as the light is barely lit after pulling them all apart. while I was at it I also pulled all the wiring out for the radio/speakers as there was just so much of it and it was in the way.

burned wires in footwell

also found a hose in the shed that worked perfectly to replace the broken vent line that I plugged up at the track after the fire. while the plugs worked to keep fuel from spilling out it also prevent fuel from going in. going to make a metal cover for it all possibly tomorrow

there is another WV event next month however they havent posted the date yet. hopefully drifting in jersey picks up soon as I miss my home track
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2020 07:55 AM #171
      definitely fixed the power draw which is a huge relief, still need to re pin the tail light plug so that works properly.

I used CAD to make a sheetmetal cover for my fuel lines out of my old e34 hood.

and my new steering wheel finally showed up

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-28-2020 12:27 PM #172
      That new wheel is groovy.

Nice work on the wiring cover.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567