VWVortex.com - 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC unveiled — An all-electric crossover with 402 hp and 200 miles of range, the first model from the new EQ sub-brand
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC unveiled — An all-electric crossover with 402 hp and 200 miles of range, the first model from the new EQ sub-brand

1. 09-05-2018 06:27 AM #51
      Tailights make me think new audi A8

This crossover looks better than theyre gas powered ones

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      09-10-2018 10:12 AM #52
      Peter DeLorenzo's hot takes always border on the verge of unintentional self-satire, but I think he makes some legit points here

http://www.autoextremist.com/current...g-resonan.html

I am dumbfounded by Mercedes-Benz of late. How can Mercedes-Benz Design do such breathtaking concept cars like the Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet and then turn around and drop this craptastic ode to mediocrity – the EQC – and suggest that it’s avant-garde? But then again Mercedes has been a seething cauldron of contrasts of late, presenting vehicles that are either wildly good or incredibly bad, with nothing in between. But if the EQC signals the “Future of Mobility” for Mercedes-Benz, I am less than optimistic.
      I wouldn't go as far as him, but this does seem like a missed opportunity to really leverage the possibilities of the EV. Did I read somewhere that this thing has a driveshaft? Also, no frunk. Why? Going forward, the more I think about it the less EVs should share with ICE cars. Trying to use shared platforms, especially in the lazy way it seems MB has here, just results in needless compromise. I guess the question is whether or not EVs should offer as "normal" a car experience as possible, or take the opportunity to transform and improve it. I think the latter track is the way forward.

4. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-10-2018 10:21 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I wouldn't go as far as him, but this does seem like a missed opportunity to really leverage the possibilities of the EV. Did I read somewhere that this thing has a driveshaft? Also, no frunk. Why? Going forward, the more I think about it the less EVs should share with ICE cars. Trying to use shared platforms, especially in the lazy way it seems MB has here, just results in needless compromise. I guess the question is whether or not EVs should offer as "normal" a car experience as possible, or take the opportunity to transform and improve it. I think the latter track is the way forward.
      Doesn't have a driveshaft, it uses electric motors on each axle. You may be referring to the driveshaft tunnel that is still present though.

This is also TCL's annual reminder that car companies are businesses, and they need to make good financial decisions. Developing a brand new platform is an unbelievably expensive endeavor for any company, and the fact remains that we don't know if EVs are going to represent 3% of the market in 2025 or 30%. If it's the former, this is absolutely the right move, but if its the latter, then they'll need to get going with a unique foundation.

Some companies are going the unique route though, namely VAG thanks to dieselgate. It would be kind of embarrassing for MB if VW outdoes them with the ID Cross.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2018 10:52 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Doesn't have a driveshaft, it uses electric motors on each axle. You may be referring to the driveshaft tunnel that is still present though.

This is also TCL's annual reminder that car companies are businesses, and they need to make good financial decisions. Developing a brand new platform is an unbelievably expensive endeavor for any company, and the fact remains that we don't know if EVs are going to represent 3% of the market in 2025 or 30%. If it's the former, this is absolutely the right move, but if its the latter, then they'll need to get going with a unique foundation.

Some companies are going the unique route though, namely VAG thanks to dieselgate. It would be kind of embarrassing for MB if VW outdoes them with the ID Cross.
      Oh I am the first to point to business viability of automotive moves. But it goes both ways. You can spend your way out of profitability, but you can also cost cut and hamstring your way out of demand. By tying this to the existing GLC, they've also given it a lot of the GLC's weaknesses (i.e. interior robbing driveshaft tunnel), and then compounded that with all the downsides of an EV powertrain.

Compare this to the I-Pace for example... that is a much more convincing effort for what I imagine is the same money. For better or worse it's very separate from the rest of Jag's lineup (better IMO). It's a bigger gamble but I think it's a smarter play. If Jag and VWAG, who are both in much weaker financial positions than MB, can go with bespoke EV platforms, I don't think MB has much of an excuse.

09-10-2018 11:12 AM #55
      Oh I am the first to point to business viability of automotive moves. But it goes both ways. You can spend your way out of profitability, but you can also cost cut and hamstring your way out of demand. By tying this to the existing GLC, they've also given it a lot of the GLC's weaknesses (i.e. interior robbing driveshaft tunnel), and then compounded that with all the downsides of an EV powertrain.

Compare this to the I-Pace for example... that is a much more convincing effort for what I imagine is the same money. For better or worse it's very separate from the rest of Jag's lineup (better IMO). It's a bigger gamble but I think it's a smarter play. If Jag and VWAG, who are both in much weaker financial positions than MB, can go with bespoke EV platforms, I don't think MB has much of an excuse.
      VAG is still extremely wealthy, even with all of these continued Dieselgate payouts. They also have lots of opportunities within their corporate umbrella to amortize the cost of their EV platform.

Jaguar is putting the most on the line, especially since they outsourced the production of the I-Pace to Magna Steyr. They have far less flexibility than MB and BMW will in that regard. Further, Jaguar was pushed to make this aggressive move because the sales of the current lineup, even with the SUVs padding the bottom line, aren't setting the sales charts on fire. They've proven that they're not willing to invest enough in their current lineup to go toe-to-toe with the Germans so the I-Pace and subsequent EV projects are a way to bring prestige back to the brand.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2018 12:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      VAG is still extremely wealthy, even with all of these continued Dieselgate payouts. They also have lots of opportunities within their corporate umbrella to amortize the cost of their EV platform.

Jaguar is putting the most on the line, especially since they outsourced the production of the I-Pace to Magna Steyr. They have far less flexibility than MB and BMW will in that regard. Further, Jaguar was pushed to make this aggressive move because the sales of the current lineup, even with the SUVs padding the bottom line, aren't setting the sales charts on fire. They've proven that they're not willing to invest enough in their current lineup to go toe-to-toe with the Germans so the I-Pace and subsequent EV projects are a way to bring prestige back to the brand.
      Jag (really Tata) unwilling to invest? Explain. Only "old" car in their lineup is the XJ, which is in a dead segment anyway.

09-10-2018 01:08 PM #57
      Jag (really Tata) unwilling to invest? Explain. Only "old" car in their lineup is the XJ, which is in a dead segment anyway.
      I didn't say they were old, I said they weren't willing to invest to a degree that allows them to go head to head with the Germans. What about the XE and XF suggests they were really trying to topple the 3-series/C-class and 5-series/E-class? The XE has driving dynamics on its side and practically nothing else. The XF doesn't even have class leading dynamics. Further, its no secret Land Rover has been getting the lion's share of development dollars, especially as it applies to interiors. I can't find it now but there was an even article that touched on this topic. What has been made public is that Jaguar continues not to pull its weight in the JLR family.

Outside of the upcoming 7-seat crossover, Jaguar will continue to try and draw attention via more fringe activities (like a XK successor) that can allow the brand to stand out.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2018 02:34 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I didn't say they were old, I said they weren't willing to invest to a degree that allows them to go head to head with the Germans. What about the XE and XF suggests they were really trying to topple the 3-series/C-class and 5-series/E-class? The XE has driving dynamics on its side and practically nothing else. The XF doesn't even have class leading dynamics. Further, its no secret Land Rover has been getting the lion's share of development dollars, especially as it applies to interiors. I can't find it now but there was an even article that touched on this topic. What has been made public is that Jaguar continues not to pull its weight in the JLR family.

Outside of the upcoming 7-seat crossover, Jaguar will continue to try and draw attention via more fringe activities (like a XK successor) that can allow the brand to stand out.
      "Fighting the Germans" is a bit of a red herring no? BMW has relinquished the dynamic crown and both BMW and MB have taken a very future-driven strategy with cars like this, the i3 etc. Even if the XE/XF were the 3/5's equals it wouldn't matter. The timing is off. "German C&D sport sedan comparo" fighters stopped being a viable market to enter a good 10 or so years ago... maybe longer factoring in the recession.

I-Pace does seem like a weird one off hail mary but I think it shows JLR is willing to think and play outside of the box. Looking at their sales though, it's a bloodbath. JFC. The F-Type is outselling the XF. I would not be surprised if the I-Pace outsold both in the US (just needs to move ~300 cars a month to do so). Jag may do better to replace the XE/XF with an EV sedan/fastback. It's clear nobody cares about the XE/XF (sales down by nearly half). Damn, even the F-Pace is down by 44%. What the hell is going on????

09-10-2018 02:55 PM #59
      "Fighting the Germans" is a bit of a red herring no? BMW has relinquished the dynamic crown and both BMW and MB have taken a very future-driven strategy with cars like this, the i3 etc. Even if the XE/XF were the 3/5's equals it wouldn't matter. The timing is off. "German C&D sport sedan comparo" fighters stopped being a viable market to enter a good 10 or so years ago... maybe longer factoring in the recession.
      You can take that stance, but the theme of what I'm saying still applies. There's not heavy investment in their lineup to make people really care outside of the I-Pace. The E-Pace is oddly heavy but at least is competitive in a market where all the "luxury" subcompact CUVs have readily apparent flaws (imo). The F-Pace still lacks a class competitive interior and the hard ride isn't for everyone; this is important in an ultra competitive segment.

I-Pace does seem like a weird one off hail mary but I think it shows JLR is willing to think and play outside of the box. Looking at their sales though, it's a bloodbath. JFC. The F-Type is outselling the XF. I would not be surprised if the I-Pace outsold both in the US (just needs to move ~300 cars a month to do so). Jag may do better to replace the XE/XF with an EV sedan/fastback. It's clear nobody cares about the XE/XF (sales down by nearly half). Damn, even the F-Pace is down by 44%. What the hell is going on????
      And this is what it all boils down to. Their sales are sagging even with the F-Pace and new E-Pace. They're going to need to start peddling super attractive lease deals.

09-13-2018 12:18 PM #60
      Peter DeLorenzo's hot takes always border on the verge of unintentional self-satire, but I think he makes some legit points here

http://www.autoextremist.com/current...g-resonan.html

Not picking on you in particular, but thought people may find it interesting VW is now fully realizing the costs of developing an exclusively EV platform: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-than-expected

On another note- the EQS, which you'll see in a year or two, will be riding on MB's first all electric platform named MEA2.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      09-13-2018 01:50 PM #61
      The more I look at this, the more I hate the grill.

13. 10-01-2018 05:44 PM #62
      The 402bhp Mercedes EQC SUV has landed in Paris, and will head a new pure electric range when it arrives in late 2019
      This is the all-new Mercedes EQC, the German manufacturer’s first purely electric model and a rival for the Tesla Model X and Jaguar I-Pace, as well as the forthcoming Audi e-tron.

Revealed ready for its stint at this year's Paris Motor Show, the EQC is a 4.7-metre-long, five-seat SUV. It’s slightly lengthier than the Jaguar I-Pace, but its wheelbase is around 11cm shorter than the Jag’s, at 2,873mm. As with most of its rivals, the EQC is based on a bespoke pure-electric, scalable platform that will ultimately support a family of models.

The looks of the EQC are arguably more conventional than those of the Model X and I-Pace, although there are still more than enough design touches to highlight its alternative powertrain.

A grille has been kept at the front end, but it has a solid black section that runs between the headlight units, along the lower edge of the bumper. This panel also has a line of optical fibre at the top, which is designed to emit light, that joins the daytime running lights.

The EQC’s side profile is similar to that of the firm’s current small family SUV, the GLC, especially around the C-pillar, and the slab-bladed alloy wheels are another hint at the car’s eco-focus. The rear end mixes some cues from recent conventional models, such as the A-Class, with a tail-light design that runs across the hatchback panel.

The model in the initial images is badged EQC 400 – a hint that there are likely to be variants within the line-up, offering different power outputs and ranges. Inside, the standout feature is MBUX, the dashboard layout that was introduced on the recent A-Class. It combines a fully-digital instrument cluster with an ultra-wide infotainment display in what looks like a single, slim panel running across the top of the facia.

This system incorporates eco-optimised navigation, which calculates the fastest route including charging time, as well as specific voice control commands that are unique to the EQ.

Smartphone connectivity will be offered via the ‘Mercedes me’ app, allowing the owner to check charge levels and pre-set the vehicle’s climate control so it is cooled or heated prior to use.

There’s also a charging app which the marque claims will give access to stations from a variety of providers, including those in other countries, and offer an integrated payment function. Mercedes has not issued details on the scope of the service, however.

The boot capacity of the EQC will be around 500 litres – about 70 litres less than the I-Pace’s. Mercedes also says the car can tow up to 1,800kg – that’s 700kg less than the similarly-sized GLC.

Technical details released so far state that the EQC has a pair of asynchronous motors, one on each axle, giving it four-wheel drive. The front unit is said to be focused on efficiency in low to medium loads, while the motor at the rear is designed to enhance the car’s dynamism by boosting performance. Mercedes says the total output of the system is 300kW (402bhp) and peak torque is 765Nm, which is enough to take the 2,425kg EQC from 0-62mph in 5.1 seconds, and on to a limited top speed of 112mph.

The 80kWh battery pack, which weighs 650kg alone, gives the newcomer a range of around 450km, or 280 miles, on the tougher WLTP test cycle. The model has an onboard 7.4kW charger for AC charging and all EQCs will get DC charging as standard; Mercedes claims this faster configuration will allow the car to be taken from 10 per cent to 80 per cent of charge in around 40 minutes.

There will be a choice of five driving modes: Comfort, Eco, Max Range, Sport and an ‘individual’ program that can be configured by the user. The car’s throttle pedal will give haptic feedback to the driver to encourage a more efficient driving style in the eco-focused modes, and the driver will also be able to adjust the level of brake energy recuperation via paddles behind the steering wheel.

Drivers will also be prompted to lift off the accelerator and use energy recuperation instead of brakes if the system expects an imminent reduction in speed, say for a speed limit change.

The EQC is the first of a new family of all-electric Mercedes. The firm has already previewed what’s likely to be the second model with a three-door hatch called Concept EQA. It’s expected to produce that vehicle at the same factory in France that builds electric Smart cars, while the EQC will be manufactured in Bremen and China.

Mercedes UK is unlikely to start taking orders for the new model until spring next year, and the first cars won’t be in the hands of British customers until the end of 2019 or the start of 2020. Prices for the EQC are yet to be revealed, but Auto Express expects a figure in the high sixties.
      https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/merced...ealed-in-paris

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '15 BMW i3 BEV, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      11-14-2018 02:47 PM #63
      Here's a curious detail.

The outer skin of the door is not as tall as the door cards inside. Thus there is a black strip along the lower edge of the windows, as the back side of the door card is black. Suppose they do this to avoid the doors looking too slab sided as the interior of the car is lifted due to the battery pack underneath the cabin.

And I have to say, the way the line goes across the top of the dash, from door to door, gives a nice impression of continuum.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      11-14-2018 04:51 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Here's a curious detail.

The outer skin of the door is not as tall as the door cards inside. Thus there is a black strip along the lower edge of the windows, as the back side of the door card is black. Suppose they do this to avoid the doors looking too slab sided as the interior of the car is lifted due to the battery pack underneath the cabin.
      I'd rather just have the lower sill and the discontinuity.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

16. 01-07-2019 01:34 PM #65

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      01-07-2019 01:55 PM #66
      "A car needs a face." Very reassuring quote from the MB guy. I wish it was a little better face but I think I could live with it, esp in a black color. This is a pretty compelling car.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-06-2019 01:48 PM #67
      Production starts today.

19. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-06-2019 01:56 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Production starts today.
      I wish them success.

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      05-06-2019 03:15 PM #69
      i see some Saab inspired design cues

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      05-06-2019 04:09 PM #70
      Am I the only one who thinks the front end is a bad design? The LED strip on the top of the grille looks like an afterthought, and the rest of the grille isn't very attractive looking, either.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-06-2019 04:50 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks the front end is a bad design? The LED strip on the top of the grille looks like an afterthought, and the rest of the grille isn't very attractive looking, either.
      I don't hate it overall. I like that it's different from other M-Bs.

That LED strip in particular is too Pep Boys for me too though. Same with the whole lit-up star thing they've been getting the badge-whores to pay for on other models.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-06-2019 10:51 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

That LED strip in particular is too Pep Boys for me too though. Same with the whole lit-up star thing they've been getting the badge-whores to pay for on other models.
      Have EVs gotten normal enough looking that we are criticizing small aspects of their looks or design rather than the entire vehicle design?

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      05-06-2019 11:20 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Saw this at the N.Y. show last weekend.. it was a little bit off in its own little antechamber, but the glossy grill just looks so chintzy compared to the “real” benzes just around the corner. Would it kill the aero to put a real three pointed star on it?

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '15 BMW i3 BEV, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      05-15-2019 02:29 AM #74
      Car Magazine - short review

Mercedes EQC: verdict

The EQC isn’t as boldly innovative as an i-Pace or Model X but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a very good car. What’s more, it feels tailormade for buyers keen to go electric but worried about the switchover.

In every detail, from the way it drives through to the comprehensive aftersales package, the EQC is like a giant comfort blanket painstakingly crafted to allay your every EV fear. Such peace of mind doesn’t come cheap, of course, but who better to take the electric plunge with than the car maker that’s been around as long as the car itself?
      Have to say, the looks on this thing is growing on me, growing on me to the point that this is one of the very few cars in this class I could consider owning.

Source: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...-benz/eqc-suv/

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

05-15-2019 06:12 AM #75
      I've seen a few of them around Oslo now (I believe they did some launch party or something here?) and I think the looks really weird in person. It however think it looks better in the picture above with what appears to be blacked out chrome, but I'm still not a huge fan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast