VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2008 R32 Turbo, United Grey, Racecar-ish mods that aren't for everyone, Central PA

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mckpat03 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: NO LONGER FOR SALE

NOTE: It needs tires. The current tires are on the wear bars, more or less. They're still good enough to get home and drive around a while. They're not worn through or anything.

2008 Volkswagen R32
United Grey
80,000 miles roughly (I bought it with 69k miles)
For every picture I've taken of the car (https://flic.kr/s/aHskZxv5Xz)
Link to a journal of the car with explanation of everything I've done (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134249)
The roof bars and bike and kayak attachments do not come with the car.

CTS Turbo stage 4 turbo kit (http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_MK5_R32_Stage_4_Turbo_Kit-471-1.html)
The turbo kit includes everything listed in the above link, such as intake and exhaust manifolds, downpipe, intercooler, intercooler piping, intake and MAF housing, wastegate, low compression head spacer.
Precision 6262 ball bearing turbo
ARP head studs and rod bolts
United Motorsport 550cc engine tune, UM DSG tune
The turbo kit and UM ECU/DSG tunes were installed by a shop under the previous ownership. I've just fixed/changed/modified things since then as all the heavy lifting was already done.
It's lowered on ST height adjustable suspension.

I've included a picture of the previous owner's for sale ad so you can see all of the items done by them, including modifications and maintenance. Furthermore, you can see what I've changed or added since I've owned it.

Since I've owned it, like I said, I've mostly just chased issues and weak points, as well as modify some things to my liking. Here it goes:
United Motorsport haldex (AWD) tune
CTS 3" downpipe with wastegate recirc blocked off, VS Racing 44mm wastegate (Tial MVR knockoff) dumped out the hood
Boost is currently on wastegate spring pressure only, which is maybe 13ish lbs?
3 possible exhaust setups, all catless - 3" Magnaflow (marketed for the Golf R), 3" straight pipe, 2.75" Milltek non-res
Deatschwerks DW65 265lph in-tank fuel pump
034 Motorsport billet diverter valve
Integrated Engineering SAI/EGR block-offs
Integrated Engineering manual boost controller - not currently hooked up
Wheel spacers
BFI stage 2 engine/trans mounts
APR billet dogbone mount with 034 Motorsport density line subframe "puck" insert
New South blue needle boost gauge to sort of match the factory gauges (at least when they're illuminated).
VW Motorsport wheels.
Chinesium Black replica grill because the previous grill was full of plate holes and really poorly spray painted and plastidipped or something
Exhaust manifold surfaced back to flat and new manfold gaskets right after I bought it (it was terribly warped with a nasty exhaust leak when I bought the car)
The hood was dented outward from the stock intake manifold bursting and the hood and headlight washer covers were painted black when I bought it. Fortunately, one of my friends is the head collision tech at a dealership and fixed the hood and painted everything back to factory gray.
A bunch of vacuum/EVAP lines were removed from the engine bay.
Some coolant lines were rerouted around the front of the engine so they were running directly over the turbo.
Aluminum front control arms from the Passat.
Tyrolsport deadset front subframe bushing kit
Tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening bushings
I'm sure there's small stuff that I'm forgetting. I may add/change the add accordingly.

Things of note that people will probably hate and be a deal breaker:
A/C is removed
Windshield and headlight washer system removed, rear wiper removed
Spare, jack, tools, etc, removed.
However, the car weighed just shy of 3500, somewhere in the range of 3480-3499 with something like a half tank of fuel, and that was with the roof bars and bike and kayak mounts on top.
However, I still have boxes of parts in the basement with most of the AC/Washer/SAI/vacuum stuff. Also have a spare set of red tail lights.

Oil is changed every 3k-ish miles with Brad Penn - Penn Grade 1 10w-40.
This summer it got new plugs, coils, wideband sensor, and a fuel filter. I ran a fuel injector cleaner through it, too, all in hopes of chasing down a misfire. It seems to be running good now.

I have a MKIV R32 return-style fuel rail, FPR, and filter in a box. So all it needs to make 500whp is an inline pump of your choice and swap the rail and filter.

IMG_1981 by Pat, on Flickr
Capture by Pat, on Flickr

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.