VWVortex.com - Disappointed by SE sound system
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed by SE sound system

1. 09-11-2018 12:18 PM #1
      I thought the stock systems in my 2001 Passat and 2015 Golf sounded great, but whatever they're using in the 2019 SE sounds anemic across the board (radio, Bluetooth, Android Autoplay). Volume is at max on my phone and I've done the best I possibly can with the bass-mid-treble settings. Granted, it's not the Beats system, but why should S, SE, and R-Line customers have to deal with AM radio sound quality?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 09-11-2018 12:22 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by ruggrawk View Post
      I thought the stock systems in my 2001 Passat and 2015 Golf sounded great, but whatever they're using in the 2019 SE sounds anemic across the board (radio, Bluetooth, Android Autoplay). Volume is at max on my phone and I've done the best I possibly can with the bass-mid-treble settings. Granted, it's not the Beats system, but why should S, SE, and R-Line customers have to deal with AM radio sound quality?
      I have an SEL Premium with the Beats system and it’s not even that great, I’ve tried all kinds of adjustments and no luck. My 2018 Altima SR has a better sounding system and that’s just the basic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      09-11-2018 01:03 PM #3
      It's terrible. Only 4 speakers and no tweeters. There are kits you can get for the MK7 golf; includes tweeters and wiring; to add to the rear doors for about $35. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta Sport - 12' A5
      09-11-2018 02:39 PM #4
      sadly, another cheap out by vw.
      as chrisjackd stated above.. probably best bet

6. 09-11-2018 02:56 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by wogeboy View Post
      sadly, another cheap out by vw.
      as chrisjackd stated above.. probably best bet
      How is this a cheap out compared to the 2018 mkvi model? It was the same situation with a 4 speaker system, or the upgraded 8 speaker fender (versus beats). Funny how people come on here bashing the jetta sound options when the sound options are basically the same from the last gen.

If anything, I feel the audio options have gotten better considering you now get app-connect (apple carplay and android auto) standard (used to be se and above) and you get a larger screen standard (6.5" versus 5"). But I guess VW was cheaping out on this too...

7. 09-11-2018 03:10 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisjackd View Post
      It's terrible. Only 4 speakers and no tweeters. There are kits you can get for the MK7 golf; includes tweeters and wiring; to add to the rear doors for about $35. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Sounds like a good option. Do you happen to have a link for one of those kits? The only ones I'm finding cost hundreds of dollars.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      09-11-2018 03:50 PM #7
      it is a cheap out... 4 speakers??

Even my 14' had tweeters in the a pillar..

9. 09-11-2018 04:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubsurfer View Post
      it is a cheap out... 4 speakers??

Even my 14' had tweeters in the a pillar..
      Which trim did you have? Because the 2014 brochure still says 4 speakers or fender as well..

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...Jetta_2014.pdf

The only thing I could think is the Premium VIII touchscreen sound system (se w/ connectivity and sunroof) added 2 speakers- but there's no documentation on it.
      Last edited by ice4life; 09-11-2018 at 04:04 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      09-11-2018 05:33 PM #9
      Sounds like a good option. Do you happen to have a link for one of those kits? The only ones I'm finding cost hundreds of dollars.
      See if this works. Do some looking around and see what all you can find.

http://s.aliexpress.com/yuY3IrIv?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

11. 09-11-2018 10:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Which trim did you have? Because the 2014 brochure still says 4 speakers or fender as well..

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...Jetta_2014.pdf

The only thing I could think is the Premium VIII touchscreen sound system (se w/ connectivity and sunroof) added 2 speakers- but there's no documentation on it.

Our 2014 SE base has 4 speakers PLUS 2 tweeters in the a pillars.

12. 09-12-2018 12:24 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jriv208 View Post
      I have an SEL Premium with the Beats system and it’s not even that great
      Ditto that. My SO has SEL-P. Fender system in my GTI is mobetta.
      Rule #1: Keep the shiny side up, rubber side down.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 passat se
      09-12-2018 12:34 AM #12
      yup, sons beater 13' jetta has Tweeters in A-Pillar and a decent sound for low end model

14. 09-19-2018 09:15 AM #13
      test drove a R-line and I thought the stock base audio didn't sound too bad, I was surprised, does the R-Line have better speakers?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2018 10:23 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by gintzy View Post
      test drove a R-line and I thought the stock base audio didn't sound too bad, I was surprised, does the R-Line have better speakers?
      No. Lol

Vehicles
      2019 Jetta SE
      09-19-2018 01:03 PM #15
      I have an SEL Premium with the Beats system and it’s not even that great, I’ve tried all kinds of adjustments and no luck. My 2018 Altima SR has a better sounding system and that’s just the basic system.

Beats is junk...have one in my 2017 Dodge Durango. Fender systems, and many others like Harmon Kardon, are much better sounding.
      DrueB
      2019 Jetta SE
      San Antonio, TX

Vehicles
      2019 Jetta SE
      09-19-2018 01:07 PM #16
      I am an audiophile, and granted, the base system in my SE is nowhere near audiophile standards, overall it is not bad, and better than the base stereo we had in our 2013 4Motion Tiguan SE...which was really crappy! Just my 2 cents...
      DrueB
      2019 Jetta SE
      San Antonio, TX

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      09-19-2018 07:50 PM #17
      One thing I can says is the stock stereo in my 19 Jetta S is pretty awesome compared to other stock radios in other cars. I do not have the cd player, but have the media card slot right under the head unit. The sd card card is awesome, I have 128 gb card installed.

19. 09-19-2018 07:56 PM #18
      I havent pushed the sound system in my S too much but I have been satisfied. I mostly listen to podcasts though with music sprinkled in between.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GSW S
      09-19-2018 08:59 PM #19

You can replace the A-pillar trim with the version for Beats Audio, that gives you a nice tweeter location for the fronts. For the rears, I wouldn't even bother. Rear is only for "fill". You don't need clarity or definition to come from the rear. My Golf base system has four tweeters, the rear two are in the door and honestly, I could cover them over and never know the difference. I'm also running the Helix upgrade on the base system... love it. Too bad they didn't continue offering DSP profiles for the new MQB models (Jetta/Tig/Atlas) because as a plug and play upgrade, it's awesome. Typical for VW to discontinue something that worked really well and had forward compatibility built-in.
      OBDeleven coding mods on my GSW

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant • 1984 GTI • '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition • '86 Scirocco • '86 Audi 4000S

21. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2018 09:04 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
      You can replace the A-pillar trim with the version for Beats Audio, that gives you a nice tweeter location for the fronts. For the rears, I wouldn't even bother. Rear is only for "fill". You don't need clarity or definition to come from the rear. My Golf base system has four tweeters, the rear two are in the door and honestly, I could cover them over and never know the difference. I'm also running the Helix upgrade on the base system... love it. Too bad they didn't continue offering DSP profiles for the new MQB models (Jetta/Tig/Atlas) because as a plug and play upgrade, it's awesome. Typical for VW to discontinue something that worked really well and had forward compatibility built-in.
      Yeah finding A pillars right now is kind of hard. Plus it's so cheap to do the rear, might as well. It'll be a minute before I do anything though. It's in the shop with a leaking rear main seal @ 3,000 miles.

22. Member
      09-20-2018 11:59 AM #21

I agree that they are all terrible, Beats is just a marketing tag on a better than the cheapest system.

I think you're wasting your money...but if it works for you, great!

I just replaced the speakers in our S MT and it transformed the car. I put a pair of Infinity Kappa 60 CSX components in front and a pair of Kappa 62iX in the rear doors; they're all powered by an Alpine MRV-F300. I just used the speaker level inputs on the amp to save time for now. It's transformed the car. A sub/amp and RCA converters may come later, but for just over $500 all-in it blows the Beats (or Fender in our GTI) away except for lowest active bass extension. Since I have a lot of experience installing, yeah, I saved a ton of money, particularly in the wiring. I plugged a Metra harness into the car and another into the radio - I won't cut my car harness, ever - and spliced the two together and sent the speaker signals to the amp and the amp signal to the speakers. But this is pretty basic stuff that you could learn from youtube or the Crutchfield site.

23. 09-20-2018 12:12 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by brian81 View Post
      Beats is just a marketing tag on a better than the cheapest system.

I replaced the speakers in our S MT and...it blows the Beats away except for lowest active bass extension.
      Beats isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. And living with an SEL-P everyday that actually has the stereo, there is definitely no need for a tear down and replacement.

Now, on your base S, I get it, that 4 speaker system probably sucks. But the beats gains an amplifier, sub, and double the speaker setup.

24. Member
      09-20-2018 12:26 PM #23
      Beats isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. And living with an SEL-P everyday that actually has the stereo, there is definitely no need for a tear down and replacement.

Now, on your base S, I get it, that 4 speaker system probably sucks. But the beats gains an amplifier, sub, and double the speaker setup.
      The base S is overall not bad compared to other cars less than $25k. It's personal preference...I worked for a dealership for several years and was in the cars every day. I have aftermarket equipment in all of the cars I've had for 20 years. To my ear the Beats sounds like a bad SiriusXM channel. Also, we keep cars a long time so it's worth the effort.

One of my customers with a '19 SEL Premium (who lives on the road) didn't like his Beats, and I helped him put modest level Focal and Audison equipment in (about $1750 plus sound deadening), and we both agree it sounds better than the $3300 Bowers and Wilkins system in his wife's Volvo V90 CC, on radio, CD, and USB input.

My point was that if you don't like the more basic systems you don't have to spend a fortune to improve it. For most people the Beats is a big plus. For others just replacing the standard 4 speakers with some decent coax 6.5s with high sensitivity to the standard head unit will work wonders. $250 can make a big impact here.
      Last edited by brian81; 09-20-2018 at 12:32 PM.

25. 09-20-2018 01:21 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by brian81 View Post
      The base S is overall not bad compared to other cars less than $25k. It's personal preference...I worked for a dealership for several years and was in the cars every day. I have aftermarket equipment in all of the cars I've had for 20 years. To my ear the Beats sounds like a bad SiriusXM channel. Also, we keep cars a long time so it's worth the effort.

One of my customers with a '19 SEL Premium (who lives on the road) didn't like his Beats, and I helped him put modest level Focal and Audison equipment in (about $1750 plus sound deadening), and we both agree it sounds better than the $3300 Bowers and Wilkins system in his wife's Volvo V90 CC, on radio, CD, and USB input.

My point was that if you don't like the more basic systems you don't have to spend a fortune to improve it. For most people the Beats is a big plus. For others just replacing the standard 4 speakers with some decent coax 6.5s with high sensitivity to the standard head unit will work wonders. $250 can make a big impact here.
      Fair enough- I can say I came from a 2017 S90 T6 Inscription with the Bowers & Wilkins, and that stereo is highly overrated- Especially for the damn price. It was also very difficult to properly tune because just like dynaudio, instead of an equalizer you only get mode settings.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2018 02:13 PM #25
      Fair enough- I can say I came from a 2017 S90 T6 Inscription with the Bowers & Wilkins, and that stereo is highly overrated- Especially for the damn price. It was also very difficult to properly tune because just like dynaudio, instead of an equalizer you only get mode settings.
      Dynaudio annoys me because regardless of settings I still can't hear words that great. I think my favorite has to be a Bang & Olufsen system. Beats was good in the Jetta too, I could hear everything, reminded me of Audi symphony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast