Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Motor Mounts?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE w/LP & PP
      09-11-2018 01:58 PM #1
      I'm not sure what's going on with the search function, but I tried searching both "Forums" and "Posts" for Keyword(s): motor mounts under Golf/GTI VII and I'm getting "Sorry - no matches..."

I'm trying to pick motor and transmission mounts for my 2016 DSG. Out of necessity (aka breaking off a trans mount) a buddy had to get a new trans case, and added ESC's trans and motor mounts and now has unbearable engine chatter. Also the hole for the windshield washer fluid reservoir doesn't line up, so it's held in place with a zip tie.

RJRacing mentioned using the BFI Stage 1 mounts, but in his parts reviews - I think he only refers to the Insert when he talks about unwanted NVH. I sent a PM asking for clarification, but I don't think RJ has been vortex'ing much lately.

I heard second hand that Revo makes good stuff. My buddy talked to someone with a Stage 3 Mk7R (WAAAY more power than I'll put down) but the wait time was prohibitive for my buddy to order them. I'm not on a strict timetable, I'd rather wait and get parts that will suite me better. This is for my daily driver...that I literally drive everyday. My kids might not notice a little chatter or vibration, but my wife will (and won't like it!). I will tolerate a little added NVH if it means I'll be protecting my car from the power I plan to add. I'm currently APR Stage 2, and will get the mounts put on with an IS38 upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2017 MKVII white GTI
      09-11-2018 02:14 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by jef400dread View Post
      I'm not sure what's going on with the search function, but I tried searching both "Forums" and "Posts" for Keyword(s): motor mounts under Golf/GTI VII and I'm getting "Sorry - no matches..."

I'm trying to pick motor and transmission mounts for my 2016 DSG. Out of necessity (aka breaking off a trans mount) a buddy had to get a new trans case, and added ESC's trans and motor mounts and now has unbearable engine chatter. Also the hole for the windshield washer fluid reservoir doesn't line up, so it's held in place with a zip tie.

RJRacing mentioned using the BFI Stage 1 mounts, but in his parts reviews - I think he only refers to the Insert when he talks about unwanted NVH. I sent a PM asking for clarification, but I don't think RJ has been vortex'ing much lately.

I heard second hand that Revo makes good stuff. My buddy talked to someone with a Stage 3 Mk7R (WAAAY more power than I'll put down) but the wait time was prohibitive for my buddy to order them. I'm not on a strict timetable, I'd rather wait and get parts that will suite me better. This is for my daily driver...that I literally drive everyday. My kids might not notice a little chatter or vibration, but my wife will (and won't like it!). I will tolerate a little added NVH if it means I'll be protecting my car from the power I plan to add. I'm currently APR Stage 2, and will get the mounts put on with an IS38 upgrade.
      Bfi makes great mounts, ive had the stage one on my last golf and just bought them for my gti.
      Nvh isnt much exsp after you break them in, its mostly when going in reverse. The dogbone insert i think and feel is what adds the most vibration.
      Ecs i try and stay away from there brand of items, a lot of the time poor quality chinese parts, but that is just me as ive had problems with to many of there brand products to where i replaced them with better brands.
      Plus BFI for the price of the kit is pretty good.
      I know vwr and even superpro make mounts but they are extremely expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      18" VMR V804 & Conti DWS 235 tires, AWE down pipe & Touring exhaust, VWR inlet pipe, OEM+ shifter, BFI engine Mounts, Super pro rear sway and links, Pro Sport Boost gauge

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-11-2018 04:04 PM #3
      Stiffer urethane mounts means more NVH.

Gotta choose between less wheel hop with more NVH vs less NVH with more wheel hop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      09-11-2018 04:23 PM #4
      I have the CTS ones. They seem to be pretty similar to 034's offering (haven't used, but just based on design and durometer rating and price point).

At first, they felt excellent. Better throttle response, smoother shifts, tighter overall etc. Now after a few months I feel like there is as much movement as the stock ones had. Kinda disappointed. I have an 034 dogbone insert which might be bent or worn out, so maybe upgrading the whole dogbone would help but it's hard to say.

I had an ECS trans mount in coupled with the CTS engine mount for a bit before that and hated it. It was ridiculously loud and harsh. Now with the CTS on both sides, while completely stock like NVH, seems too soft and not performance oriented.

So... don't really have a solution for you. Perhaps BFI or others are the way to go although I haven't tried. Just wanted to relay my experience with ECS and CTS. My car is also my daily driver and it's frustrating to find a balance of parts that work well, so good luck!
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

Vehicles
      2017 MKVII white GTI
      09-11-2018 05:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post
      I have the CTS ones. They seem to be pretty similar to 034's offering (haven't used, but just based on design and durometer rating and price point).

At first, they felt excellent. Better throttle response, smoother shifts, tighter overall etc. Now after a few months I feel like there is as much movement as the stock ones had. Kinda disappointed. I have an 034 dogbone insert which might be bent or worn out, so maybe upgrading the whole dogbone would help but it's hard to say.

I had an ECS trans mount in coupled with the CTS engine mount for a bit before that and hated it. It was ridiculously loud and harsh. Now with the CTS on both sides, while completely stock like NVH, seems too soft and not performance oriented.

So... don't really have a solution for you. Perhaps BFI or others are the way to go although I haven't tried. Just wanted to relay my experience with ECS and CTS. My car is also my daily driver and it's frustrating to find a balance of parts that work well, so good luck!
      I have read about the 034 mounts and people having problems with them. Read it on a few different forums so i opted to steer clear and just stick with what i know.
      I know 034 and cts make a good product though, but in the end everyone is different. What one may like another will not.
      Pull the plug on one, if you dont like it, sell them and try another, its all personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      18" VMR V804 & Conti DWS 235 tires, AWE down pipe & Touring exhaust, VWR inlet pipe, OEM+ shifter, BFI engine Mounts, Super pro rear sway and links, Pro Sport Boost gauge

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 CSG GTI, 2005 SGP GTI
      09-11-2018 07:46 PM #6
      I have the ECS poly dogbone, the dogbone insert, the ECS engine mount and I replaced the ECS transmission mount with a CTS turbo upgraded 'stock style' mount. I feel like its perfect for me, very solid, not a ton of NVH (definitely less than expected) especially when compared to my setup when the ECS transmission mount was installed.

for reference I have a 2015 that is Stage 2 and manual

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 CSG GTI, 2005 SGP GTI
      09-11-2018 07:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post

Still at it I see....go for the ECS engine mount, full ECS dogbone and the insert along with the CTS (or similar) transmission mount

9. 09-11-2018 10:57 PM #8
      I received CTS motor and trans mounts in the mail. They look as if they are either super defective or just plain used. Upon sending them photos of the engine mount, they claimed they are fine (mind you, they look like crap) and would not pay for me to ship them back to them. I would steer clear of CTS, they use shady business practices.

Vehicles
      F150
      09-11-2018 11:18 PM #9
      I bought this set up from ECS. They are nicely machined parts and the quality is there. At first I thought the vibration wasn't too bad until my wife got in the car and we could barely have a conversation. They are harsh. My mirrors vibrate and I can feel and hear my clutch through every part of the car. On the good side I have no wheel hop or other issues associated with the stock mounts. The only useful input I would have is do not go with a higher durometer rubber if you plan on using your car for a daily/family car.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      16 R
      09-12-2018 10:06 AM #10
      I have bfi stg1 mounts with the hpa dogbone. there is slight vibration on cold start but it is barely noticeable after about 3-5 mins of driving. there is more vibration with the ac on. I was a bit nervous after reading peoples remarks online but after installing these i am quite happy.
      Also of note most of the NHV seemed to come from installing the hpa dogbone. I then installed the cts mounts and noticed little difference ( i removed them because i needed a stiffer mounts for drag racing as i was getting super bad wheel hop). I then installed the bfi stg1 mounts and noticed little to no difference in the NHV as compared to the oem style cts ones

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      09-12-2018 01:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by cjmurphy429 View Post
      Still at it I see....go for the ECS engine mount, full ECS dogbone and the insert along with the CTS (or similar) transmission mount

Yup : )

I'll think about it, haha. You're setup sounds like it works well, but I'm debating how many combos I really wanna try out / waste money on, and am still a bit scared of the ECS poly bushings. I was also thinking about maybe replacing just the dogbone with the HPA unit as that has pretty good reviews and leaving the CTS mounts alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
      I bought this set up from ECS. They are nicely machined parts and the quality is there. At first I thought the vibration wasn't too bad until my wife got in the car and we could barely have a conversation. They are harsh. My mirrors vibrate and I can feel and hear my clutch through every part of the car. On the good side I have no wheel hop or other issues associated with the stock mounts. The only useful input I would have is do not go with a higher durometer rubber if you plan on using your car for a daily/family car.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
      This was my experience. ECS part looked great and of high quality. But vibration was awful and I heard every single little noise the gearbox, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel made. Everything. At low RPMs I couldn't even see things clearly in the rear view mirror it was shaking so much. And all the noises sounded like they were amplified and piped through some crappy speakers. Caveat is I only put ECS on one side (transmission), but to me the extra rigidity was not worth the lack of refinement.
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

13. 09-12-2018 08:34 PM #12
      It's weird, with the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI's, you'd just throw in a BFI stage 1 dogbone, and you'd have no wheel hop and barely any, if at all, NVH. I have a 2016 Passat as well and tried the BFI stage 1 insert on that and had it removed because it was so bad. No idea with the new MQB has that's different, but I'm surprised there's no easy solution like in the past

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE w/LP & PP
      10-23-2018 11:01 PM #13
      I ended up going with BFI stage 1 motor and trans mount. I also ordered the HPA dogbone mount, but my mechanic lacked the press needed in his garage, so I'll get that installed later. I noticed a very slight bit of chatter right after putting it into gear leaving work on day 1 after the install. I didn't notice ANY added NVH for my 1/2 mile test drive after the mounts and other goodies were installed over the weekend. I didn't notice any added NVH on the 45 min drive home. The next morning, I didn't notice any at cold start, but let the car warm up about 5mins before taking off. This afternoon, after 8hrs of sitting, I started the car and put it into gear within a few seconds, and there was a short grunt of NVH when i began to move forward. Kinda like an old man with a frog in his throat. If that's all I'll have to deal with to protect my trans case from the added power, and also prevent wheel hop - I'm a happy BFI customer.