VWVortex.com - Help! Need someone to install my exhaust!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help! Need someone to install my exhaust!

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Mini Cooper
      09-12-2018 12:17 AM #1
      Hi all,

I recently purchased an IPE turboback exhaust system for my 2018 Golf R.

I had a try with three friends of mine but encountered multiple issues:

- Innotech Performance support stinks. The install instructions are Google translated and absolutely horrible. I asked for assistance from them multiple times, but after receiving money from me, they seized all contact with me.

- The installation requires that the driveshaft is removed, it's a must! And in order to do so, a great many heatshields have to be removed which is impossible without a lift. After removing the heatshields then you remove the bolts from the driveshaft. But, it doesn't end there!! You then have to remove engine mount bolts and pry the driveshaft away from the engine and transmission to remove it.

- Then there is electrical wiring that has to be done for the valvetronic features. With ****ty instructions it's near impossible for me to do it myself.

So after failing this install myself I tried to find someone to do it for me. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone in my area willing to install it on the day I give them the car. I tried both dealers and specialty shops.

I've already had my time wasted by someone who gave up halfway, refunded my money and put it back together and lost bolts in the process.

Does anyone know any reputable businesses in my area (Dallas, Texas) who can install this thing?
      Last edited by Mogle; 09-12-2018 at 04:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG - Destroyed Nov 15/2017: 2018 Golf R 6MT - Purchased Dec 15/2017
      09-12-2018 01:42 AM #2
      As a starter, stating where you are located would be most beneficial.

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Mini Cooper
      09-12-2018 04:06 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MakitRight View Post
      As a starter, stating where you are located would be most beneficial.
      I'm located in Dallas, Texas

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      09-12-2018 05:00 AM #4
      Just find a generic muffler shop and they'll do it for cheap. The older the shop, the better. Installing exhausts isn't rocket surgery and these guys will have the know-how and skillz to hook you up, probably at a fraction of the cost of some "tuner' or "specialty" shop. Good luck!

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

6. 09-12-2018 09:11 AM #5
      I have a better idea to ease your headaches.
      1) Return the exhaust (or sell it)
      2) Buy downpipe (much less hassle to install)

These cars don't need full exhausts to sound good or be loud if that's your goal. The DP is all that's needed for stage 2+ power.

7. Member
      09-12-2018 09:35 AM #6
      Give https://www.blairautomotive.com a call. They are in Addison/Carrollton and have top notch service. I’m pretty sure they’ll get you fixed up. Talk to Blake and tell them Gabe sent you.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf-R DSG 2018 Atlas 2.0T
      09-12-2018 12:02 PM #7
      Installing a DP isn't super easy on the R. There are a couple of YouTube videos on how to do it.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Mini Cooper
      09-12-2018 12:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post
      1) Return the exhaust (or sell it)

These cars don't need full exhausts to sound good or be loud if that's your goal. The DP is all that's needed for stage 2+ power.
      Believe it or not, but the downpipe is the biggest headache, because in order to remove the old one and put in a new one, the driveshaft must be unbolted and moved aside. In order to do that, all the heatshields must come off and the engine mount bolts removed so that the driveshaft can be seperated from the engine and transmission. Which is a 2 to 4 hour job alone.

Removing the catback is easy, it takes about 30 minutes.

The IPE turboback exhaust system can cost anywhere from 3,000 to 4,440 USD. It costed me $3,750. If I wanted to get rid of the exhaust I'd probably have to sell it for $1,000 less and also pay for packaging and shipping to get rid of it.

I'd much rather pay $1,500 for a lift in my garage or setup a $1,000 bounty on the forums for someone to come and install it, then take that loss.
      Last edited by Mogle; 09-12-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Answering number 1 as well

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 LSG Golf R
      09-12-2018 01:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post

False. I'm not sure if you're thinking about the GTI but installing a catback on an R is 100% easier than the downpipe. There's a lot that goes into the downpipe (v-band, o2 sensor, driveshaft, little room, etc) in comparison to the catback. You can do a catback on jack stands and even ramps and while the same can be said about the downpipe, it is advisable to do the DP install on a lift to allow for more space.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Mini Cooper
      09-12-2018 05:46 PM #10
      [/QUOTE]
      False. I'm not sure if you're thinking about the GTI but installing a catback on an R is 100% easier than the downpipe. There's a lot that goes into the downpipe (v-band, o2 sensor, driveshaft, little room, etc) in comparison to the catback. You can do a catback on jack stands and even ramps and while the same can be said about the downpipe, it is advisable to do the DP install on a lift to allow for more space.[/QUOTE]

Installing the downpipe using ramps was impossible for me, because of where the heatshield bolts are.

Then there's the wiring and vacuum install to add the valvetronic features, and IPE's instructions are horrible.

Some of the generic exhaust shops I visited didn't calculate that great pain until I pointed it out to them and then they chicken out or jack the install price up.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      09-12-2018 07:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MMM-BACONSTRIPS View Post
      False. I'm not sure if you're thinking about the GTI but installing a catback on an R is 100% easier than the downpipe. There's a lot that goes into the downpipe (v-band, o2 sensor, driveshaft, little room, etc) in comparison to the catback. You can do a catback on jack stands and even ramps and while the same can be said about the downpipe, it is advisable to do the DP install on a lift to allow for more space.
      this! i was able to install my catback solo, on jack stands. I would not have been able to do the downpipe that way.
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf-R DSG 2018 Atlas 2.0T
      09-12-2018 07:26 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by scmarchy View Post
      I would not have been able to do the downpipe that way.
      I did

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      09-12-2018 07:54 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by vw671 View Post
      I did

ok, perhaps its not that I wouldn't have been able to, more like I didn't want to hahaha.
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Mini Cooper
      09-12-2018 08:59 PM #14
      I got my exhaust system installed guys!!! Good gosh it sounds way better in person than listening to Youtube videos.