VWVortex.com - Building a Slide Out for My Mini Van Camper (how to frame?)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Slide Out for My Mini Van Camper (how to frame?)

1. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      09-18-2018 09:20 PM #26
      So, it has come to this.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      BRZ
      09-18-2018 11:07 PM #27
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/12]

4. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-18-2018 11:31 PM #28
      Please put the tools down. Find a different hobby, like bird watching.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-18-2018 11:33 PM #29

Last edited by spockcat; 09-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      09-18-2018 11:39 PM #30

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      09-18-2018 11:46 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Please put the tools down.
      Don't worry. He hasn't picked them up yet.

8. 09-18-2018 11:49 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Because the original pictures were too large and theres no need to polish them up in photoshop either.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      So, it has come to this.
      I may run my CNC machine inside the shed with my old barrel wood stove during the winter too... the ZX kit idea is not dead.

Living with my divorced mother the Previa van was stalling at red lights... had her import a Japanese super charged one just incase I couldnt fix it and to flip it if I did. Turned out to be an electrical problem.
      https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ll=1#post32974
      Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-19-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelliong
      Follow my kit designs on Facebook fan pages http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      09-19-2018 12:43 AM #33
      Hope that you build your slide out/slide in shed, install it in your passenger van and then need to make an extreme panic stop. It would help clean up the gene pool.
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

10. 09-19-2018 12:52 AM #34
      Im pretty much building a roll cage for the van... but I always like reading bro science.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      09-19-2018 01:26 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      I hope to capitalize on this by freeing people to live in my future make shift micro homes.
      The Previa can be stealthy to park in safe urban area yet have the space to stand up in to cook and shower. The red mount here can be made of tripods and leather to prop-up when stationary (sunroof retracted).

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...n_vs_sprinter/

my other van threads

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...of_their_life/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...can_a_compact/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers..._slept_on_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers..._build_an_air/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...oshop_concept/

edit - missed mentioning this one!

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...as_to_foldout/

So I'm proving myself to be an idiot also but I'll try to clear up your thinking. Last summer I had a 4-5 month construction project that was more than an hour commute away from home. So, I figured that I'd buy an RV and live on the site and only go home on weekends. It worked out better than commuting BUT I had entirely independent(away from the RV) bathroom facilities and could eat more than half my meals take out. I still didn't like it. Keep in mind that this was a manufactured mini RV built on a ONE TON Chevy van chassis, not some stupid import mini van. I lived ALONE not with some significant other and/or with kids. Still the only time it was comfortable was when using my computer or sleeping. Had a bathroom but never used it because filling the H2O tank and draining the waste tank was a pain in the ASS. Your little sort of scale drawing 5 gallon supply and waste tanks are laughable. Where in your mini van is room for a kitchen and a shower even if you modify the roof to allow stand up head room? The whole "mini home" idea is sort of silly unless you have wide open spaces to park it on. "Make shift micro homes" are just plain stupid unless you have some way to shrink your self. Expedition Portal https://expeditionportal.com/ has lots of good ideas about building livable travel vehicles but they are not "homes". Do some actual research(not just standing on aluminum tubing), draw some actual scale drawings and then realize that you're just dreaming rather than building a nightmare.
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

12. 09-19-2018 03:26 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by suburbangeorge View Post
      So I'm proving myself to be an idiot also but I'll try to clear up your thinking. Last summer I had a 4-5 month construction project that was more than an hour commute away from home. So, I figured that I'd buy an RV and live on the site and only go home on weekends. It worked out better than commuting
      How precious were those hours that you saved for yourself? This is how people can break out of the rat race cycle.

BUT I had entirely independent(away from the RV) bathroom facilities and could eat more than half my meals take out.
      Bonus.

I still didn't like it. Keep in mind that this was a manufactured mini RV built on a ONE TON Chevy van chassis, not some stupid import mini van.
      Beggars cant be choosers... the system is built around people not being able to live for 'free' and a mini van lets one kinda fly under the laws for parking in safe neighbourhoods.
      In Vancouver your RV would be restricted to expensive RV parks or unsafe and noisy industrial streets.

I lived ALONE not with some significant other and/or with kids. Still the only time it was comfortable was when using my computer or sleeping. .
      Why... these are feelings that you should elaborate and reflect on. Maybe being out of your element long enough would have turned on your primal urges for what you want out of life... or just that the RV's layout is garbage as usual.

Had a bathroom but never used it because filling the H2O tank and draining the waste tank was a pain in the ASS. Your little sort of scale drawing 5 gallon supply and waste tanks are laughable..
      That design has a two tier system of poop going into a bag, and with urine and bidet used water going into a tank. On my van these components would replace the outside spare tire space. Poop bags go into trash cans eventually and Ideally I would like to hookup an automatic tank opener to gravity flush the water to the ground when I drive over a sewer or abandoned zone. Not much different on how dogs dispense.
      A large plastic pipe could store water which would mostly be used to wash dishes.

Where in your mini van is room for a kitchen and a shower even if you modify the roof to allow stand up head room?
      You can see in this image... right where the sunroof is one can prop a custom 'tent' to stand. I would use my two chamber stove oven (a "dutch oven" in the toaster oven section) to cook and own a mini silent Honda generator for a RV fridge ($1000 total).

For a shower I'd just warm up some water and plop a container on top of my popup tent for a gravity shower.

I already have the components to trigger the flow of water by a manual foot pedal.
      This is my sink... I would adapt the squat position to wash over it and cut my food. The idea is to keep it as simple as possible and if you lose the van in say an accident or theft, the change over to another cheap Previa van setup shouldnt be hard.

The whole "mini home" idea is sort of silly unless you have wide open spaces to park it on. "Make shift micro homes" are just plain stupid unless you have some way to shrink your self. Expedition Portal https://expeditionportal.com/ has lots of good ideas about building livable travel vehicles but they are not "homes". Do some actual research(not just standing on aluminum tubing), draw some actual scale drawings and then realize that you're just dreaming rather than building a nightmare.
      Granted if you are tall youre going to have a hard time living in a mini van... but overall its possible rather then staying a major debt slave.

I outlined years ago that its ideal to find seniors that would let you park on their property and use amenities in exchange for buying groceries, medicine and being an emergency source of help for them.

Will Prowse lives in his RV and is doing it in San Francisco.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos
      Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-19-2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Vehicles
      '94 FD RX-7
      09-19-2018 07:38 AM #37
      OP is one of the greatest internet trolls to exist.

After stepping away from TCL for a few years and seeing him pop up again it is super obvious that he is just rabble rousing.

Vehicles
      88 Audi 90 2.0 20V HX35, 94 Audi 90 V8, 78 GMC High Sierra, 03 TDI and some bicycles
      09-19-2018 08:10 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by MolotovMan View Post

After stepping away from TCL for a few years and seeing him pop up again it is super obvious that he is just rabble rousing.
      He still seems serious to me.

As if the idea wasn't wild enough, you want to re-use a temporary shed for the main guts of this whole thing. Small DIY RV home is a cool project to me, but starting off with the wrong materials, no money and a re-used shed makes it more impossible than it already was.

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      09-19-2018 08:24 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by MolotovMan View Post

He’s going places, man.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      09-19-2018 09:58 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      He’s going places, man.
      In a custom Previa, too!

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      09-19-2018 08:37 PM #41
      looks like Toyota beat you to it with this RV2:

18. Member
      09-19-2018 10:35 PM #42
      Just buy an Aztec with the rear camper attachment
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      09-19-2018 11:02 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      I recall seeing that thread years ago and apparently that shed is 5 driving minutes away from where I plan to make my shed (south Burnaby B.C.).

edit - interestingly enough the builders were using a Previa!
      Thats a sienna, but it was also one of the funniest threads I have ever seen.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2018 11:37 PM #44
      If you ever actually build something rather than dreaming and photo shopping, please post it here on this thread so it will pop up on my watched threads and I can laugh.

21. 09-20-2018 01:15 AM #45
      I think I'll gladly post this video to go after the balding guy market. Huge market in the balding populace. Balding guys are the majority mid life crises target that would move into a van in times of recession!

Im going to reinforce these used ladder pieces (4x 7foot) with an extruded beam (3-4 foot in size). Limited stock in aluminum with outrageous prices were found all day while shopping today.

Due to the shape of the van entrance Im going to have to tapper the cage to maximize space but also reduce its strength.

Im not sure when I'll work again.

22. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-20-2018 01:25 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Rod Ratio View Post

^^OP, "designing"

OP is just a big troll...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

23. Member
      09-20-2018 07:53 AM #47
      I want some exposition on the "poop bag" in the previous page's diagram.

Vehicles
      09-20-2018 10:33 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      I want some exposition on the "poop bag" in the previous page's diagram.
      Let's just call it an Ara**** for short.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
      Vehicles
      '18 VW Alltrack, '15 Outback Limited
      09-20-2018 11:11 AM #49

Okay, so you are going to hang out of the back of the van in a tent or something to take a dump? The smell will be fanned out into the street and the poop goes into a bag under the car?

Why not just get a cassette toilet like a normal person? $59 on overstock.

Vehicles
      09-20-2018 11:14 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Okay, so you are going to hang out of the back of the van in a tent or something to take a dump? The smell will be fanned out into the street and the poop goes into a bag under the car?

Why not just get a cassette toilet like a normal person? $59 on overstock.
      Stop trying to put the fire out, some of us just want to watch it burn

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast