VWVortex.com - Building a Slide Out for My Mini Van Camper (how to frame?)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Slide Out for My Mini Van Camper (how to frame?)

1. 09-21-2018 09:01 PM #76
      Just a quick reply...
      I may as well try to maximize the pull out so that one can standup.

Will be planning where to reinforce the ladder for stress loads.

Audio is from a live feed Im watching...
      Follow my kit designs on Facebook fan pages http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      09-21-2018 09:09 PM #77
      BTW, is OP's Previa still a stock van? He spends y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ decades to talk about how "designs" did he ever do anything on the van or it is just all BS??

look pretty stock to me...

The newest 1st gen Previa is at least 20 years old.... how long does OP still keep it in "designing stage"?

OP: If it is all BS, why don't you try BS on other model? specially newer one.... and specially BSing on making $$ off the "design(s)"
      Last edited by Avus; 09-21-2018 at 09:20 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      09-21-2018 09:36 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      Just a quick reply...

Audio is from a live feed Im watching...

So, you were the shooter on the grassy knoll who killed JFK at Dealy Plaza??? You are truly ahead of your time, and obviously have stayed ahead of the rat race... That’s about all I got from that...
      Last edited by ohiodub_99.5; 09-21-2018 at 09:39 PM.
      /| OMGHAI |\

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      09-21-2018 10:28 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      So, you were the shooter on the grassy knoll who killed JFK at Dealy Plaza??? You are truly ahead of your time, and obviously have stayed ahead of the rat race... That’s about all I got from that...
      Is VigorusZX Ted Cruz's dad? They are both from Canada....
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      06 4runner
      09-22-2018 12:41 AM #80
      I guess all I need in life is a minivan and a Home Depot bucket. With the money I will save not having a house I can get this personalized plate on the van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 camry
      09-22-2018 02:53 AM #81
      Gawd... Doug D certainly is annoying to listen to.
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

8. 09-22-2018 04:34 AM #82
      Another quick update before going into comments...

Cage features;

Wool rug can be draped over cage for insulation

Leveled sleeping on slanted ground.

Pull out section with tent.

I have 6 extruded aluminum pieces which I have coloured in red here...
      I also have scavenged aluminum beams which are solid but not as strong... these I have sectioned in the green colour.

The long ladder that I cut up is not very strong so I reinforced it at places where I think the loads will be the greatest.

Thoughts?

9. 09-22-2018 07:42 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Yeah, sure. Thats it. It will be the self contained cassette toilet that will prevent your entertaining of women in your Previa van...
      Dont knock it till you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Yeah, I'm sure no one in a nice neighborhood will mind when you park your janky Previa in front of their house. You'll have a cop at your window before you even have time to deploy your poop sock.
      If they dont see you inside they have no cause to call it in.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      The movie called his actions illegal because it could cause a fire? Sounds like propaganda against van dwelling. That actor knows too well what Hollywood is about... he was up here some years ago seeking asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by ptem View Post
      For anyone familiar with BBC's People Just do Nothing, I'm seeing parallels with this thread and Chabuddy G's van.

Just watched one of his videos... conditioning accomplished. You have to ask yourself why they'd give some degenerate shyster his own show. Atleast Leepu the car designer had some class despite his wonky car designs... they show this guy emptying a bucket of diarrhea on the road.

chabuddy g season 4 funniest moments people just do nothing kurupt fm (part 1)
      watch?v=0-8tLO_54o8

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      Oh this thread is going places!

But on the parking front, there's plenty of large west coast cities where boondocking even in nicer neighborhoods goes completely unenforced, if there are even laws on the books to prevent it (which typically isn't the case).
      Which brings us back to.... Just get an RV
      Its a balance of pretending to be a righteous nation and at the same time not letting people live for 'free'.
      It just looks bad on the world stage if hey enforced the laws in all places and put many thousands of poverty destined people on the street then to live in their RV's/vans. Who knows what they'll do next.
      The only place youre allowed to sleep for free in north America are some desert no man's lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      BTW, is OP's Previa still a stock van? He spends y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ decades to talk about how "designs" did he ever do anything on the van or it is just all BS??

look pretty stock to me...

The newest 1st gen Previa is at least 20 years old.... how long does OP still keep it in "designing stage"?

OP: If it is all BS, why don't you try BS on other model? specially newer one.... and specially BSing on making $$ off the "design(s)"
      It doesnt really matter at this point... just enjoy the ride

Comedian Bill Hicks (whose marketing joke I stole earlier) says it was to show future politicians where their allegiances should lie.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-22-2018 10:12 AM #84
      You cut a ladder in half only to weaken it too much? Why not just use garage door tracks and rollers, some 2x4s and 3/4" plywood for the base?

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-22-2018 11:25 AM #85
      The only place youre allowed to sleep for free in north America are some desert no man's lands.
      Not sure if sarcasm... But definitely not true.

12. 09-22-2018 02:07 PM #86
      There are places where one can live for free?

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      You cut a ladder in half only to weaken it too much? Why not just use garage door tracks and rollers, some 2x4s and 3/4" plywood for the base?
      Steel is way too heavy... and I wouldnt need to actually have it slide out. I'll just pull it out manually.

Although putting it on rollers wouldnt be expensive...

Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Vehicles
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      09-22-2018 04:17 PM #87
      What happens when you roll out your poo bag on an abrasive surface and it ruptures.... how do you plan to mitigate environmental impact???
      /| OMGHAI |\

Vehicles
      BRZ
      09-22-2018 09:28 PM #88
      Can you tow a sports car, like a 300ZX for example, behind your camper? The benefit of the camper is mobility, but when you leave the rat race do you have to leave your sports car behind as well? Maybe you could enhance the MR characteristics of the Toyota Senna and have the world's first sports-camper. You could hold an endurance race, but instead of just driving for 24 hours, you can't set foot outside your car for 7 days and you also have to traverse 1000 (5000? 10,000?) miles.

And where is your refrigerator? How do you keep your milk and beer cold? And how do you handle DUI investigations in a camper? With the inevitable drug and alcohol usage that comes with a life of living inside a Toyota Senna and the obvious lack of separation between "living" and "driving" rooms, how do you escape probable cause when RCMP gets off his horse and pokes his head into your car, eh?
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/12]

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      09-23-2018 01:43 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Can you tow a sports car, like a 300ZX for example, behind your camper? The benefit of the camper is mobility, but when you leave the rat race do you have to leave your sports car behind as well? Maybe you could enhance the MR characteristics of the Toyota Senna and have the world's first sports-camper. You could hold an endurance race, but instead of just driving for 24 hours, you can't set foot outside your car for 7 days and you also have to traverse 1000 (5000? 10,000?) miles.

And where is your refrigerator? How do you keep your milk and beer cold? And how do you handle DUI investigations in a camper? With the inevitable drug and alcohol usage that comes with a life of living inside a Toyota Senna and the obvious lack of separation between "living" and "driving" rooms, how do you escape probable cause when RCMP gets off his horse and pokes his head into your car, eh?

Someone may need that as their "plans" are full of...

16. 09-23-2018 05:02 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Have you ever thought about putting in an application with NASA, they could use your imaginations on the International Space Station.
      Working at a car company would be good enough for me.
      I found this in my Youtube comments... how my ZX last looked like (left) before I ripped it all off to build a CNC machine and start all over.

What happens when you roll out your poo bag on an abrasive surface and it ruptures.... how do you plan to mitigate environmental impact???
      Weaker biodegradable bags may suffer such ruptures... I believe San Francisco's 'Poop Patrol' workers just steam water down such deposits as they can dry up and flake retroviruses.
      Its best to lessen such odds in the first place by filing down sharp edges that can puncture a bag... but also pull right up to a garbage can for dumps.

Basically, no... one cant escape rat race expenses but only to pickup additional expenses and expect to get ahead.

If you need to carry open bottles in the van then you have to register your setup as an RV to get exemption from police. I dont need to live in a van but if I had to pay exuberant rent or mortgage then I would buy a generator to power a fridge and van dwell.
      Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-23-2018 at 05:05 AM.

17. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-23-2018 06:15 AM #91
      ... And where is your refrigerator? How do you keep your milk and beer cold?
      OP is a 10 year old kid dreaming about living in a van, so no beer for him, as it would be illegal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      09-23-2018 06:57 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Just build a sock drawer.
      Dovetails, never forget the need to dovetail.

But seriously, talking of generators and the like, why not go after solar and look into battery storage? Heck if you went after an EV with the amount of time parked somewhere you'd be plugged in to power up everything. I'm sure you could frame out a better area in the back of whatever vehicle with the low slung battery packs in the back vs all the mess of a transmission and fuel lines.

Someone page Uber Wagon in here, we need his input on the best EV options to use on this. He won't be able to make a poll but his input is needed.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      09-23-2018 08:23 AM #93
      Basically, no... one cant escape rat race expenses but only to pickup additional expenses and expect to get ahead.
      So you tried to escape the race all these years only to find that you can't... except now you're way behind and losing pretty badly.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      09-23-2018 02:13 PM #94

If you were not so totally ignorant of the task you have chosen a little research would show you that quite affordable hardware already exists and you could quit ruining ladders. https://www.realtruck.com/bedslide-c...d-cargo-slide/

This particular system seems designed for pickup beds and I don't know if the Tacoma model could be adapted to your truck. If not, there are tons of results to a search(60" drawer slides) including just the slides which you could utilize.

Your drag out system seems to disregard friction and the likelihood of an unguided system catching on something. Then there's the question of "have you ever played on a teeter totter?". What happens when your pictured girl stands at the end of the extension?
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-23-2018 02:52 PM #95
      There are places where one can live for free?
      The sidewalks (tent "camping") and curbs (inner-city #overland) of cities up and down the west coast.

22. 09-23-2018 09:40 PM #96
      Thats technically still not free... where would I bike lock my sink and stove oven if I had to leave such a concrete jungle?

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      OP is a 10 year old kid dreaming about living in a van, so no beer for him, as it would be illegal.
      Indoctrinated debt slavery... its like taking candy from a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Dovetails..

But seriously, talking of generators and the like, why not go after solar and look into battery storage?
      Where I live its cloudy most of the time and Ive heard in very hot areas, they prefer to stay in the shade then the blazing sun to charge up.
      Battery are good but one also needs to keep them at least half way full... and although the 4 cylinder engine is a generator itself... it would cost more to idle.

One could probably fit a generator in the front bay of a manual Previa
      (packed with tools here) https://i.imgur.com/5IfBpl2.jpg

Or better yet a kit to make more outside storage space and enhance its looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Heck if you went after an EV with the amount of time parked somewhere you'd be plugged in to power up everything. I'm sure you could frame out a better area in the back of whatever vehicle with the low slung battery packs in the back vs all the mess of a transmission and fuel lines.

Someone page Uber Wagon in here, we need his input on the best EV options to use on this. He won't be able to make a poll but his input is needed.
      Front engine 2001+ Hybrid Previa's are available for us Commonwealth countries to import... pair that with a solar roof and the savings would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      So you tried to escape the race all these years only to find that you can't... except now you're way behind and losing pretty badly.
      Ive been prepping my CNC machine and designs... I have skills and assets that are far ahead then most that only have others to depend on for money.

Quote Originally Posted by suburbangeorge View Post
      If you were not so totally ignorant of the task you have chosen a little research would show you that quite affordable hardware already exists and you could quit ruining ladders. https://www.realtruck.com/bedslide-c...d-cargo-slide/
      $1000 dollars for that... ridiculous... and it probably wont hold a person standing at the edge.

This particular system seems designed for pickup beds and I don't know if the Tacoma model could be adapted to your truck. If not, there are tons of results to a search(60" drawer slides) including just the slides which you could utilize.

Your drag out system seems to disregard friction and the likelihood of an unguided system catching on something. Then there's the question of "have you ever played on a teeter totter?". What happens when your pictured girl stands at the end of the extension?
      The cage will need its own floor but if I add a rolling rail system it would need to be raised and that would reduce the space inside if I wanted to keep it contained and hang in the back.

When the cage is extended out... wood spacers will be fitted inside, below and above the cage, to keep it level.
      Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-23-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      09-23-2018 09:47 PM #97
      I have skills and assets that are far ahead then most that only have others to depend on for money.
      Wow, I... couldn't have said it better myself.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      09-24-2018 01:22 AM #98
      "... and it probably wont hold a person standing at the edge."

Maybe not if your person weighs in excess of 500 pounds. Did you even open the link and read the info?

"The cage will need its own floor but if I add a rolling rail system it would need to be raised and that would reduce the space inside if I wanted to keep it contained and hang in the back"

No, actually, most full extension glides attach to the side of the platform. Once again, quit dreaming and do your research.

"When the cage is extended out... wood spacers will be fitted inside, below and above the cage, to keep it level."

And when there are irregularities in the surface that you're parked on you'll cut new ones?
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

25. 09-24-2018 03:00 AM #99
      "

Maybe not if your person weighs in excess of 500 pounds. Did you even open the link and read the info?
      Website says its made of steel... perhaps it wouldnt bend if someone stands at the corner edge... but what it doesnt tell you is how much it weighs. Someone in the reviews also states that it raises 6 inches at full extension... so it may not stay flat.

"
      No, actually, most full extension glides attach to the side of the platform. Once again, quit dreaming and do your research.
      Except that the entrance ledge is lifted a few inches... add to that the frame and floor over.. thats precious head room when the cage is contained inside to sit. Although it would be impressive to roll the structure out easily but for now Im going to see how hard and inconvenient it will be.

I also do have these two large black wheels that I can place on the inside and just an inch over the ledge. With this I'd still have to lift the cage on to the wheels but it would roll out with less friction.
      Wheels in red circle... spacers in red blocks.

"

And when there are irregularities in the surface that you're parked on you'll cut new ones?
      As long as its level with the vans its fine... its only important to level the cage when on an incline road at night to sleep... so the cage will have to be pulled inside and planks added at the bottom for this.
      Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-24-2018 at 03:07 AM.

26. 09-24-2018 12:38 PM #100
      Where the hell do you get all these random parts? Ladder I can see lying around. Junction boxes, random rubber wheels? What are those wheels even from they look flimsy as hell.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast