VWVortex.com - 2019 VW GTI Rabbit Edition?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 VW GTI Rabbit Edition?

1. 12-07-2018 09:56 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems View Post
      So when are these gonna be for sale?
      1st-2nd week of January in the US.

actually a couple dealers are showing later this month too.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      12-07-2018 10:08 AM #52
      The rear rabbit decal looks unbelievably cheap in person.

4. 12-07-2018 10:16 AM #53
      I would just be happy to buy a base Golf with the option to buy the plaid seats from the GTI.

And yes, Black or Semi Black wheels are the devil.

Vehicles
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      12-07-2018 10:20 AM #54
      looks nice, especially in that blue . from me, even if it is only a trim level.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      996TT,4Runner,GTI
      12-07-2018 01:05 PM #55
      some pics of the LA show car I took

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby
      12-07-2018 01:33 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      looks nice, especially in that blue . from me, even if it is only a trim level.
      I love the blue too, but with the black wheels and accents I think the Urano Grey is going to look even better. We have Urano on the wife's Passat and after three years I still that color.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      12-07-2018 04:37 PM #57
      Meh. I am just not digging this at all. Give me a 2019 base with now standard PP for thousands less.

9. 12-08-2018 09:05 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Meh. I am just not digging this at all. Give me a 2019 base with now standard PP for thousands less.
      By thousands you mean $1300?

S manual $27,595
      Rabbit manual $28,895

10. 12-08-2018 10:05 AM #59
      Rabbit was a perfect name for what it was: quick (not fast), could change directions quickly, and stop quickly (for its time).
      "Golf" was and is the dumbest dang name for a car I've ever heard. What does the sport of Golf have to do with a car?
      Yikes. Yes, I owned one. Scirocco - another cool name. Owned one of those too. VW Bug - another great name.
      Golf? Jeez.

Back in the day some manufacturers had a lot of cool names. Others have complained about today's naming: letters and numbers
      only, with no meaning. Sad, really.

VW should have realized the beauty and accuracy in their Rabbit name and kept it that way. But hey, opinions are cheap. :-)
      "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      12-08-2018 10:14 AM #60
      funny how manufacturers keep making reference to the good ol days, yet keep building towards crap no one wants.

you make a mk1 rabbit, or you don't.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      12-08-2018 10:16 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      Rabbit was a perfect name for what it was: quick (not fast), could change directions quickly, and stop quickly (for its time).
      "Golf" was and is the dumbest dang name for a car I've ever heard. What does the sport of Golf have to do with a car?
      Yikes. Yes, I owned one. Scirocco - another cool name. Owned one of those too. VW Bug - another great name.
      Golf? Jeez.

Back in the day some manufacturers had a lot of cool names. Others have complained about today's naming: letters and numbers

VW should have realized the beauty and accuracy in their Rabbit name and kept it that way. But hey, opinions are cheap. :-)
      Rabbit was a great name. I like Golf too, though. It justified the golf ball shift knob joke, so it has that going for it.

13. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      12-08-2018 10:32 AM #62
      Golf? Jeez.

The golf was not named after the sport...
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

14. 12-08-2018 10:32 AM #63
      Golf? Jeez.

However, it wasnt named after the sport of golf...

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      12-08-2018 11:49 AM #64
      I'm not anti-black wheels but that color would look much better with silver ones.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      12-08-2018 12:42 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by shawshank redemption View Post
      By thousands you mean $1300?

S manual $27,595
      Rabbit manual $28,895
      How about no. Dealers were selling the S for 21 grand. They are dime a dozen. This will not be the case for a limited edition trim. You will save thousands by going with the S. Paying close to 30K for a GTI is not my cup of tea.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      12-08-2018 06:52 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      How about no. Dealers were selling the S for 21 grand. They are dime a dozen. This will not be the case for a limited edition trim. You will save thousands by going with the S. Paying close to 30K for a GTI is not my cup of tea.
      IMO if you're paying over 30k for a GTI, why the hell aren't you getting an R?

So tough to beat the GTI's with 5-6 grand off though. Not sure why they don't fly off the lots at 21-22k, which I can buy one at all day around here. Seriously what is a better new car for that kind of money?

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      12-08-2018 09:25 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      IMO if you're paying over 30k for a GTI, why the hell aren't you getting an R?

So tough to beat the GTI's with 5-6 grand off though. Not sure why they don't fly off the lots at 21-22k, which I can buy one at all day around here. Seriously what is a better new car for that kind of money?
      Exactly. For 2019 they added PP standard on top of the sweet extended warranty and 7 speed DSG. I am sure 21-22K will not be as easy now but with some patience, I can see 23K or so being doable in few months. All the quirks are worked out too.

Vehicles
      '17 GTI S, '19 Pilot Elite
      12-08-2018 09:39 PM #68
      I got my 17 GTI S in August of 17 for about 22 and I'm in a no sales tax state so that was the real price. No options, but it has heated seats, apple car play, leather wrapped steering wheel. I really wouldn't want much if any more. I can't think of another car that would give me the same smile on my face for 22K

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      12-08-2018 10:59 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      I got my 17 GTI S in August of 17 for about 22 and I'm in a no sales tax state so that was the real price. No options, but it has heated seats, apple car play, leather wrapped steering wheel. I really wouldn't want much if any more. I can't think of another car that would give me the same smile on my face for 22K
      With the standard performance brakes and differential coming to the S trim for the 2019 model year, the base GTI is almost perfect. I actually prefer the standard key to the button start/stop system. The only other thing I would want would be the fancy upgraded headlights.

21. 12-09-2018 11:03 AM #70
      Well, I'll be... Golf was German for Gulf as in Gulf Stream. Thanks folks, learned something.
      But still, what a terrible name for a car.

Rabbit: quick, light, nimble... That's good marketing, at least here in the States.
      "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Vehicles
      04 Golf R32, '13 Club Edition Miata
      12-09-2018 11:38 AM #71
      Dealers have them in Canada already.

Skilled labor doesn't come cheap and cheap labor doesn't come skilled.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-09-2018 12:54 PM #72
      Well, I'll be... Golf was German for Gulf as in Gulf Stream. Thanks folks, learned something.
      But still, what a terrible name for a car.

Rabbit: quick, light, nimble... That's good marketing, at least here in the States.
      When they were bringing it to the U.S. they were debating between Rabbit and Blizzard. Rabbit was the better pick, but I can’t say I’m a fan of any of those. Scirocco was (and is) my favorite of the early names.

Also, when the Corrado was named it almost became the Taifun (obviously typhoon). I always thought it should’ve been named the Scirocco as well, since it’s obviously in the same market position. Styling-wise it even harkened back to the MkI.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      RHD Mk3.5 Cabrio - LHD Mk7 GTI
      12-09-2018 02:49 PM #73
      Golf? Jeez.

There was never a VW named "Bug". It's called the Beetle because its shape looks like the insect and Volkswagens in the 80s and 90s were named after currents and winds.

Golf is short for "Golfstrom" which is German for the Gulf Stream
      Jetta = Jet Stream
      Passat = German word for "trade wind"
      Scirocco = Italian name for hurricane strength hot winds that blow from the Sahara desert in North Africa into Southern Europe
      Corrado = original name supposed to be "Taifun", German for Typhoon, but GMC already had a trademark on that name. The name Corrado is derived for the Spanish word "correr" which mean to "run" or "flow" as in oceanic currents and winds.
      Vento = Italian and Portuguese word for wind
      Bora = Italian word for hurricane strength winds in the Adriatic Sea
      Santana = hot desert winds that flow from Southern California in the USA and Baja California in Mexico into the Pacific Ocean
      Eos = Greek goddess of dawn and mother of 3 of the 4 winds (North, South, and West)

These are just off the top of my head and there could be more.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      12-09-2018 03:43 PM #74
      The Santana is obviously named after Carlos.

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      12-09-2018 05:33 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by aoj2108 View Post
      There was never a VW named "Bug". It's called the Beetle because its shape looks like the insect and Volkswagens in the 80s and 90s were named after currents and winds.

Golf is short for "Golfstrom" which is German for the Gulf Stream
      Jetta = Jet Stream
      Passat = German word for "trade wind"
      Scirocco = Italian name for hurricane strength hot winds that blow from the Sahara desert in North Africa into Southern Europe
      Corrado = original name supposed to be "Taifun", German for Typhoon, but GMC already had a trademark on that name. The name Corrado is derived for the Spanish word "correr" which mean to "run" or "flow" as in oceanic currents and winds.
      Vento = Italian and Portuguese word for wind
      Bora = Italian word for hurricane strength winds in the Adriatic Sea
      Santana = hot desert winds that flow from Southern California in the USA and Baja California in Mexico into the Pacific Ocean
      Eos = Greek goddess of dawn and mother of 3 of the 4 winds (North, South, and West)

These are just off the top of my head and there could be more.
      Most Volkswagen models are named after winds.
      Rabbit is the US Only name.
      And technically the Beetle is named Käfer.
      Last edited by Car Problems; 12-09-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast