VWVortex.com - Carb Q's
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Carb Q's

1. 10-11-2018 01:00 AM #1
      After looking through the bike carb write up, I still feel pretty confused about what I need to successfully get a carb setup running. The engine is a bone stock PL 16v.

1.) Fuel pump- I heard that a Carter is a great option. I know that it's not a in tank pump, so how would you integrate one into the stock fuel line? How should I mount it and power it? How do I even get the lines correctly hooked up? I also heard something about a return line (?)

2.) Jets- I still have a rocky understanding of what they do, however I know I need to rejet them to work with the larger engine. I assume #170 is a good jet to start with.

3.) Ignition- I hear that I can advance my distributor all the way. (Is this all I need to get it started and running?)

4.) Regulator- I plan on getting the Holley FPR and gauge. I get that I can run it straight across in/out and probably max it out at 3psi, according to a few posts I've read.

5.) Needles- like jets, I have a rocky understanding of what they do. Do I need to modify or replace them to work?

6.) ECU/Knockbox- is this something I can totally get rid of? Do I need to cut anything out?

7.) Manifold- I would love to angle them so that they clear the alternator, considering that I just replaced my old one. I think I need two fittings for the brake booster.

8.) Tuning- Something about 3 and 1/2 turns on the jets then adjusting the idle screws to get a good idle? Is this all I need for daily driving? (Not planning on tracking, just general driving and a little mischief now and then 😉.)

9.) Choke- how would I route it into the cabin? What choke do I need?

10.) Fuel hose- how much in length did you need for your conversion?

I appreciate any help you can give. Sorry to beat the dead horse on some of these questions. I guess I've got a lot to get figure out!
      Last edited by Shikiera; 10-11-2018 at 11:12 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-13-2018 12:02 AM #2
      1.) Fuel pump- I heard that a Carter is a great option. I know that it's not a in tank pump, so how would you integrate one into the stock fuel line? How should I mount it and power it? How do I even get the lines correctly hooked up? I also heard something about a return line (?)

Mounting depends on car what do you have A2 or Scirocco?? I have had good luck with a really cheap Mr. Gasket pump from Auto Zone. there is a return line on your car you need to utilize it.

2.) Jets- I still have a rocky understanding of what they do, however I know I need to rejet them to work with the larger engine. I assume #170 is a good jet to start with.

There are multiple jets. See what the carbs come with, see how it runs and go from there. You do not need 45s, 40mm will serve you well past 150 hp

3.) Ignition- I hear that I can advance my distributor all the way. (Is this all I need to get it started and running?)

You really need a crank trigger wheel and MegaJolt with EDIS. If you are on a budget get the Saab setup from TT 503 843 2700

4.) Regulator- I plan on getting the Holley FPR and gauge. I get that I can run it straight across in/out and probably max it out at 3psi, according to a few posts I've read.

Yes Holley Red mounted under the hood 3-4 pis is fine, even 6 is ok

5.) Needles- like jets, I have a rocky understanding of what they do. Do I need to modify or replace them to work?

see $2

6.) ECU/Knockbox- is this something I can totally get rid of? Do I need to cut anything out?

no just disconnect see #3

7.) Manifold- I would love to angle them so that they clear the alternator, considering that I just replaced my old one. I think I need two fittings for the brake booster.

no you need a different alternator bracket and don't plan on having A/C. I used a Rabbit diesel bracket and Alt.

8.) Tuning- Something about 3 and 1/2 turns on the jets then adjusting the idle screws to get a good idle? Is this all I need for daily driving? (Not planning on tracking, just general driving and a little mischief now and then 😉.)

This is part of the fun obviously you are reading. you need a float gauge (suck-o-meter) to properly sync the linkage. A colottune will greatly assist in setting correct idle mixture quick, and easy. You will question your choices before you get it right.

9.) Choke- how would I route it into the cabin? What choke do I need?
      Do you live in Canada? You really don't need a choke on these Choke will help dirty the plugs and flood it. turn on the pump, pump the pedal a couple time and it will start at cold temps and quickly smooth out.

10.) Fuel hose- how much in length did you need for your conversion? 10-12 feet

4. 10-14-2018 11:40 PM #3
      Wow! Thank you for the great info! I have Scirocco, and thankfully don't live in Canada (too cold lol). I assume that the 40 refers to pilot jet size?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-16-2018 10:50 AM #4
      40 is the venturi size of which the biggest choke is a 36

45 will go to at least 38

you probably want 34 choke in a set of 40mm carbs