VWVortex.com - 2018 Golf R 4 wheel alignment
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2018 Golf R 4 wheel alignment

1. 10-14-2018 07:59 PM #1
      I had my car in a local dealership last week for its 10k service and requested a 4-wheel alignment. I pulled a dumb**** move a couple of months ago and bashed a curb, taking a chunk out of the tire (which still held air; it was replaced the next day).

I was quoted and charged $399.00 for the alignment. I was told the ACC sensors need to be adjusted every time the car is aligned.

Has anyone else had their ACC vehicle aligned, and were you told the same thing?

I am going to call other local dealers starting tomorrow to see if this is legit or b.s.

It seems to me that unless the body has sustained damage in the vicinity of the sensors, adjustment shouldn't be necessary.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      10-14-2018 08:34 PM #2
      Went in for a schedule interval, service dude said alignment was out of spec....They did a 4W alignment, no mention of ACC radar...was half what you were quoted....

I did not hit anything, so maybe it's the severity of the out of tolerance.

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      10-14-2018 08:46 PM #3
      No just get your wheel alignment at an independent shop it'll be around $100ish. Dealership wheel alignment will be about what the other guy posted (~$200).

ACC needs to be realigned if its having errors or when the car is raised/lowered (people don't always do it though). And its expensive so i wouldn't do it unless you need to.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2107 Golf R, DSG
      10-14-2018 09:20 PM #4
      Had mine done at the dealership (in SoCal no less) for $125 after having lowering springs installed. No BS at all.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      10-14-2018 11:01 PM #5
      I've had my alignment done couple times at my local VW Dealer and it was $99 and they didn't touch anything with ACC.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      10-15-2018 07:14 AM #6
      Had my alignment done twice and they said if the toe angle needs adjusted the ACC sensors automatically have to be recalibrated. They refused to do it unless the ACC sensors were recalibrated, stating it would be unethical and against policy for them to change the alignment without making sure the car wouldn't steer you off the road by itself, which brought the total to around $350. Naturally, I was peeved both times so I finally bought and installed a deadset kit from TyrolSport. Hopefully that fixes the soft alignment issue.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      10-15-2018 08:27 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk7Rules View Post
      Had my alignment done twice and they said if the toe angle needs adjusted the ACC sensors automatically have to be recalibrated. They refused to do it unless the ACC sensors were recalibrated, stating it would be unethical and against policy for them to change the alignment without making sure the car wouldn't steer you off the road by itself, which brought the total to around $350. Naturally, I was peeved both times so I finally bought and installed a deadset kit from TyrolSport. Hopefully that fixes the soft alignment issue.
      Any shop can do the alignment (and none will insist or want to do the ACC alignment) just go somewhere else and get it done. $100 is cheaper than having your tires wear weird.

I'm not sure if it's an upsell opportunity or a safety guideline given by VW. Since some dealerships don't mind doing "just" the wheel alignment i'm guessing its an upsell.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      10-15-2018 11:56 AM #8
      For those who did your alignment, what are the alignment specs for the MK7/7.5 R?
      I read we can't adjust the front camber at all? Thinking that can't be true...it must allow for some adjustment?
      2018 Golf R | Indium Grey Metallic
      Website | Instagram | Photo Album

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2107 Golf R, DSG
      10-15-2018 12:25 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
      For those who did your alignment, what are the alignment specs for the MK7/7.5 R?
      I read we can't adjust the front camber at all? Thinking that can't be true...it must allow for some adjustment?
      Hopefully you can read the small print:

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      10-15-2018 03:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MDLBC View Post
      Hopefully you can read the small print:

Thanks - looks like there's some adjustment indeed. Why couldn't they get your front to be within spec?
      I'll try to get my shop to get me to as negative as possible within spec...
      2018 Golf R | Indium Grey Metallic
      Website | Instagram | Photo Album

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2107 Golf R, DSG
      10-15-2018 03:53 PM #11
      I was told on a previous visit that most likely the subframe was off/shifted and you may do more harm than good adjusting it. BS or not... I have no idea. The second alignment was within spec much more than the first go around so I’m satisfied.

14. 10-15-2018 09:17 PM #12
      I made a call to VW corporate about this today. I will be receiving a call from the regional rep by the end of business tomorrow.

In addition I called my selling dealer (car was serviced at a different shop than I bought it from). I was told that their master technician, who is the only tech within a wide swath of the California coast (um, ok) that is factory authorized to do alignments on these cars stated re-calibrating the ACC sensors is unnecessary when a 4 wheel alignment is performed.

I called another dealer who stated it is necessary and quoted me $100.00 less than I paid.

Interesting.

This afternoon I received a call from the head of the service department at the local dealer that aligned it. Surprisingly (what, me, jaded? Nah....) he was apologetic about the situation and is going to make it right. I will take the car back a week from tomorrow to have it re-aligned within spec, at no charge. They're even comp'ing the service rental for me (which they did for the first service anyway).

I'll report back after I talk to the regional rep and after the job is re-done.

Just for grins I'm going to keep calling different dealerships to get their opinion and pricing.

15. 10-15-2018 10:04 PM #13
      ive aligned my 2018 r multiple times after suspension work and never had an issue with acc sensors. adaptive cruise works fine.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R Oryx White
      10-15-2018 11:19 PM #14
      They refused to do it unless the ACC sensors were recalibrated, stating it would be unethical and against policy for them to change the alignment without making sure the car wouldn't steer you off the road by itself, which brought the total to around $350.
      Well, this was the BS tip-off. Adaptive cruise control (ACC)) has absolutely nothing to do with lane departure. ACC gets data from the radar unit mounted in the grill. Lane departure data is provided by a forward facing camera in the rear view mirror.
      The lane departure camera might need recalibration but not the ACC.

I have a 17 DAP lite Unicorn without lane departure or park distance control. I can’t wait for them to pull that crap on me!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      10-16-2018 08:15 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
      As is normally the case on cars with McPherson struts, there is no adjustment for front camber and caster on the Golf. The main objective of an alignment is to set the toe angle. Camber and caster end up wherever they end up. If they are wildly out of spec it's an indication that something's bent that shouldn't be.

Neil

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      10-16-2018 09:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
      Well, this was the BS tip-off. Adaptive cruise control (ACC)) has absolutely nothing to do with lane departure. ACC gets data from the radar unit mounted in the grill. Lane departure data is provided by a forward facing camera in the rear view mirror.

I have a 17 DAP lite Unicorn without lane departure or park distance control. I can’t wait for them to pull that crap on me!
      Yes sorry, they were talking about the lane departure camera not ACC. It had been a while since that conversation, thanks for the clarification!

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R DSG
      07-16-2019 02:38 PM #17
      Sorry, but had to quote all of you to be sure to keep this topic rolling. Because it seems confusing, to me at least.
      I was quoted $645.00 (yes, six hundred forty five dollars) for an ACC alignment. They said it needed to be done because the toe was off on 2 wheels. I had bent the two driver's side 19 inch wheels previously and instead of buying new 19's, I had them order and install VW OEM Prestons 18 inch wheels and tires.
      I declined the ACC alignment and told them I would be back ASAP to have it done.
      Of course, I planned, and still plan, to research the topic more. It sounds like a reasonable idea, to have a special alignment done after you change the toe angle, but I don't know why the dealer referred to it as an ACC alignment.
      I am not a VW technician, nor any kind of auto technician/engineer, but it never hurts to do a little research before committing $645.00 on a service I am unsure of.

I will be picking up the car today or tomorrow with the new 18's on. I will see how it drives, test the ACC, and let you all know how it goes afterwards.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by No900SS View Post
      I had my car in a local dealership last week for its 10k service and requested a 4-wheel alignment. I pulled a dumb**** move a couple of months ago and bashed a curb, taking a chunk out of the tire (which still held air; it was replaced the next day).

I was quoted and charged $399.00 for the alignment. I was told the ACC sensors need to be adjusted every time the car is aligned.

Has anyone else had their ACC vehicle aligned, and were you told the same thing?

I am going to call other local dealers starting tomorrow to see if this is legit or b.s.

It seems to me that unless the body has sustained damage in the vicinity of the sensors, adjustment shouldn't be necessary.

Thoughts?
      Quote Originally Posted by No900SS View Post
      I made a call to VW corporate about this today. I will be receiving a call from the regional rep by the end of business tomorrow.

In addition I called my selling dealer (car was serviced at a different shop than I bought it from). I was told that their master technician, who is the only tech within a wide swath of the California coast (um, ok) that is factory authorized to do alignments on these cars stated re-calibrating the ACC sensors is unnecessary when a 4 wheel alignment is performed.

I called another dealer who stated it is necessary and quoted me $100.00 less than I paid.

Interesting.

This afternoon I received a call from the head of the service department at the local dealer that aligned it. Surprisingly (what, me, jaded? Nah....) he was apologetic about the situation and is going to make it right. I will take the car back a week from tomorrow to have it re-aligned within spec, at no charge. They're even comp'ing the service rental for me (which they did for the first service anyway).

I'll report back after I talk to the regional rep and after the job is re-done.

Just for grins I'm going to keep calling different dealerships to get their opinion and pricing.
      Quote Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post

20. Member
      Vehicles
      17 golf r, 03 z06, 06 GTI, CBR1100xx, GTR1400, 450 XCW
      07-16-2019 07:57 PM #18
      I have had the alignment done several times at my “performance” shop as I have made a number of suspension changes and track the car on a regular basis. Also swapped from 19” to 18” within 2 days of ownership. No ACC alignment needed, everything works. 40 k on the car now.

I was quoted $645.00 (yes, six hundred forty five dollars) for an ACC alignment. They said it needed to be done because the toe was off on 2 wheels. I had bent the two driver's side 19 inch wheels previously and instead of buying new 19's, I had them order and install VW OEM Prestons 18 inch wheels and tires.
      I declined the ACC alignment and told them I would be back ASAP to have it done.
      Of course, I planned, and still plan, to research the topic more. It sounds like a reasonable idea, to have a special alignment done after you change the toe angle, but I don't know why the dealer referred to it as an ACC alignment.
      I am not a VW technician, nor any kind of auto technician/engineer, but it never hurts to do a little research before committing $645.00 on a service I am unsure of.

21. 07-17-2019 10:52 AM #19
      $400 - $645 alignments are on par with Porsche's $500 oil and filter changes. I too was quoted $400 and had I known that was what a routine alignment costs for this car, I probably would have not bought it in the first place. If routine maintenance comes with an "exquisite" price, we've gone off a "cost of ownership" cliff that no one wants.

In addition, I hate the ACC and the Lane Assist BS. I want to fully control the car. Wheel inputs are no-go as are the subtle speed matching/ACC when I am cruising down the highway. I turned off the lane assist but I don't see a way to turn off the "adaptive" part of cruise control?

(rant over)

Luckily, my ACC camera was faulty and when they replaced the camera the alignment was part of the warranty claim.

I will use an indy for future alignments. If the car doesn't throw an ACC-related code, I will assume I am good.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R 6MT, 15 Exocet, 04 MSM, 01 M5, 18 StripleRS
      07-17-2019 11:08 AM #20
      The local race shop here charges 100-120 for normies to get a custom spec alignment.

Expect to pay 60-120 for a 4wheel, with the low end being "yeah it's in the green range" and the high end being "it's exactly what you requested"
      sometimes I feel like I'm the only R driver who doesn't think his car is anything more than what it is -- an expensive hatchback.