The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My project RS3

1. Member
      Vehicles
      gave up and bought a 4Runner
      10-24-2018 12:54 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Had he hand written this post, you wouldn't have been able to read it.

In response to the OP, the RS3 is so darn cool. I saw one in Birmingham this weekend (don't think it was you, though) and was blown away by how special-yet-stealth it looks cruising in traffic. The first one I ever saw was up in Vancouver last summer, so I was near two folks in this thread who have RS-es but don't think either of them were y'all.

I'd love to get into one of these and would probably even give up my three-pedal stubbornness, but alas I am on a GTI budget these days. Still, this thread kinda gave me enough tingles that I think I may ditch the 4Runner and get back into the MQB platform.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '16 V60CC, '08 987 S
      10-24-2018 01:45 PM #27
      These are super exciting cars, and as usual, yours is a perfect example of a well done RS3!

One interesting aspect on this is that in the last generation 8J platform, the "S" and "RS" versions actually weren't that far apart when tuned with bolt-ons.

The TTS was a ~370hp car in stage 2+ form, and the TTRS was a ~410hp car in stage 2 form. Of course, if you shipped your car to IROZ and had the TTRS rebuilt, it was an 800hp car, but from a bolt-on perspective, the much cheaper "S" model was often the better buy.

In this generation, the S3/TTS are great cars, but these RS models are MONSTERS.

I am leaning toward picking up a used S3 in a year or two, but this just makes me want to bite the bullet and get an RS3. The problem will likely be that used S3's will be ~$28k, whereas used RS3's will be $50k. So we'll see.

Anyway, AWESOME car!
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      10-24-2018 06:12 PM #28
      This car, with these mods, seems like the ultimate example of what a fast Quattro sedan should be. Personally, I’ve always seen these as a great option if you need one car to do all things very well.. yet yours is just one in a fleet, and it still holds its own.

The only other car I see in this price range/speed category would be the Tesla Performance 3. Such a different experience though, and not *quite* the same sound as that awesome five-cylinder warble
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 11:25 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Had he hand written this post, you wouldn't have been able to read it.

And congrats OP. The car looks really well. Your mods are all very tasteful and thoughtfully planned. The visceral feel from a capable daily driver is key to continued driving happiness, and it's more important than outright performance.

Hahaha. Clever. And true

Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Great write up. My GF is considering one of these, basically in the exact spec you have. Nardo, black out, etc.

Audi has been putting crap tires on their cars lately. My SQ5 came with crap tires on extremely narrow wheels, aftermarket was a must.
      A friend of mine got one just like mine “for his wife.” He’s planning some mods but will put it back in stock mode whenever she’s driving it

Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post

In response to the OP, the RS3 is so darn cool. I saw one in Birmingham this weekend (don't think it was you, though) and was blown away by how special-yet-stealth it looks cruising in traffic. The first one I ever saw was up in Vancouver last summer, so I was near two folks in this thread who have RS-es but don't think either of them were y'all.

I'd love to get into one of these and would probably even give up my three-pedal stubbornness, but alas I am on a GTI budget these days. Still, this thread kinda gave me enough tingles that I think I may ditch the 4Runner and get back into the MQB platform.
      Even stock they do stand out a bit more than you would think. I’m not in Bham anymore, so wasn’t me.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      These are super exciting cars, and as usual, yours is a perfect example of a well done RS3!

One interesting aspect on this is that in the last generation 8J platform, the "S" and "RS" versions actually weren't that far apart when tuned with bolt-ons.

The TTS was a ~370hp car in stage 2+ form, and the TTRS was a ~410hp car in stage 2 form. Of course, if you shipped your car to IROZ and had the TTRS rebuilt, it was an 800hp car, but from a bolt-on perspective, the much cheaper "S" model was often the better buy.

In this generation, the S3/TTS are great cars, but these RS models are MONSTERS.

I am leaning toward picking up a used S3 in a year or two, but this just makes me want to bite the bullet and get an RS3. The problem will likely be that used S3's will be ~$28k, whereas used RS3's will be $50k. So we'll see.

Anyway, AWESOME car!
      Thanks Schnell. This generation is incredibly strong with a few mods for sure. I think these cars will depreciate into the 40s pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      This car, with these mods, seems like the ultimate example of what a fast Quattro sedan should be. Personally, I’ve always seen these as a great option if you need one car to do all things very well.. yet yours is just one in a fleet, and it still holds its own.

The only other car I see in this price range/speed category would be the Tesla Performance 3. Such a different experience though, and not *quite* the same sound as that awesome five-cylinder warble
      I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a great all around, do-it-all type of car. The all weather traction, and traction under full throttle is a revelation compared to the RWD M vehicles.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      10-26-2018 11:48 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Thanks Schnell. This generation is incredibly strong with a few mods for sure. I think these cars will depreciate into the 40s pretty quickly.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a great all around, do-it-all type of car. The all weather traction, and traction under full throttle is a revelation compared to the RWD M vehicles.
      Any idea how the Haldex holds up to the extra power? I'd be hesitant to pick one of these up off-lease given how prolific tuned examples are. Also, I die a little inside that we didn't get the hatch in North America. The back seat and trunk on these are...not great (then again, I do daily a Miata...).

7. 10-26-2018 11:54 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Any idea how the Haldex holds up to the extra power? I'd be hesitant to pick one of these up off-lease given how prolific tuned examples are. Also, I die a little inside that we didn't get the hatch in North America. The back seat and trunk on these are...not great (then again, I do daily a Miata...).
      Would be more worried about how the engine would hold up if its tuned and used.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0TQ, MK2 Golf
      10-26-2018 12:10 PM #32
      i told them 30%. They put 20% on without asking me since they didn’t have any 30%. Not ideal but it’s fine.
      Is it ceramic and did you do the front windshield?
      OEM+

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      10-26-2018 01:33 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterTroy View Post
      Would be more worried about how the engine would hold up if its tuned and used.
      They are very strong. Guys are making 750+ horsepower on the completely stock drivetrain (other than software) and nothing is breaking. 1.4 60’ times. There is no doubt longevity would be decreased at this level but nothing is flat out breaking. They are not just S3’s with a different engine, absolutely everything is bigger and stronger. Trans, diff, axles, wheel bearings, everything.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      10-26-2018 01:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      They are very strong. Guys are making 750+ horsepower on the completely stock drivetrain (other than software) and nothing is breaking. 1.4 60’ times. There is no doubt longevity would be decreased at this level but nothing is flat out breaking. They are not just S3’s with a different engine, absolutely everything is bigger and stronger. Trans, diff, axles, wheel bearings, everything.
      Yeah, my understanding was that the I5 is very robust. Having said that, I'd still love to see some long-term data.

Vehicles
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      10-26-2018 01:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I thought the 750+ hp cars were all running Iroz turbo kits.

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 02:49 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      I thought the 750+ hp cars were all running Iroz turbo kits.
      The 700+ whp cars are, but there are several 650-700 whp cars running hybrid turbos, which means GTX3586 CHRA machined into the factory compressor and turbine housings. This works very well because the factory housings are huge, the biggest I’ve ever seen on a stock turbo in a gasolone powered car. They are all running high 9s with zero issues from the motor or drivetrain.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 03:04 PM #37
      So you missed the hybrids that have blown up? Eurocode's died a couple weeks back.
      Wow. I guess I did. I had no idea they had an issue with their car. Was it was the one that they ran nines in at water fest? The orange one that APR has is still running great, and that car gets the crap beat out of it.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      10-26-2018 03:44 PM #38
      Well this thread took a turn. Post after post on bulletproof yada yada, now engine carnage.

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 04:01 PM #39
      Yeah, the orange one. There were pictures posted on facebook and a couple closed whatsapp groups. Can't remember if there are any pics posted on AZ, but I'll see if I can find them.

There are also a very scary number of these cars that have fueling issues that no tuner really knows how to solve yet. Having a sealed hpfp isn't going to help either.

I am kinda starting to regret getting mine...

The orange car is APR customer’s car. It is stock motor and has never had an issue. It just ran 170 mph in the half mile this past weekend.
      https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-the-Half-Mile

I saw these pics but it was over a month ago and from what I read it wasn’t a run of the mill hybrid setup. I saw a post about a full frame turbo being on this motor and it being an “experiment.”

EliteMS has a thread about their stock motor and driveline car doing well. This was in street form with street tires and full interior, etc.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Street-Tires!

Im not the slightest bit phased. GTRs, Supras, 911 turbos all blow up in this power range if things arent done right, particularly early in the development cycle. There is always some inherent risk, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest the engine isn’t up to making 650 whp for an extended amount of time reliably. If you can’t stomach the risk or cost if something goes wrong, sell it. A used long block for my 997 is 25-30k.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 04:08 PM #40
      Again, my engine blew in July. Too late to sell it, unfortunately. Went with IMS850 with built long block / clutch packs / wavetrac. Car should finally be back in a couple of weeks.
      Sorry, I’m responding on my phone between cases. Bummer about your engine. Glad to hear you are making a positive experience out of it. What was your setup that blew and what kind of power/times did it put down?
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 04:12 PM #41
      Stage 2 on 93. Didn't have a chance to run it before that happened.
      What hardware and software?

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 04:28 PM #42
      Not answering that *i should probably already be deleting my posts - if you can pls delete the ones you quoted me in, lol*

I had the common 4k fueling issue for a long time. Ended up replacing the hpfp and hpfp sensor. It seemed fixed for a couple of weeks but ended up blowing the next time it displayed that issue. Apparently one of the injectors went bad because of the fueling issue and cause the engine failure.

Fair enough. I think everybody currently tuning these does a good job. You won the unlucky lottery and had a hardware issue that lead to engine failure.....sucks and nobody’s fault. Reminds me of an Evo 8 buddy back in the day. Drove it stock for years then added an exhaust and tune. Had some sort of catastrophic failure that took the motor out, which blew the transmission case and transfer case in the process. Poor guy. Glad you’re building a beast out of it though.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 05:04 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Well this thread took a turn. Post after post on bulletproof yada yada, now engine carnage.
      Nothing is incapable of being blown up and I don’t think anybody is suggesting this is the new 4 door GTR. It’s just a fun platform that for the vast majority of people has made a lot of reliable power with relatively little modification. There will always be the unlucky few with underlying hardware issues or production tolerances closer to the edges of the bell curve that will have engine failure in a modest state of modification. Most of my friends who had 1000+ whp GTRs now have one of these things for daily duty, and most are modified and running on E with no issue. YMMV.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      10-26-2018 05:55 PM #44
      This is part of the problem with guerilla marketing and misinformation that some are putting out intentionally...

For starters, Hank's shop car (IROZ) is a fully built top to bottom motor. This is why it is capable of putting down the power that it does and he is the only person to hit a 9.4xx in the 1/4. The I5 is capable STOCK of handling around the mid to upper 500WTQ area and no more. The rods start bending when you push past that and the only way to alleviate that is to start building internals.

The stock block cars are fine in the mid 550wtq range and will run reliably at that number. The cars Silly Rabbit have been building or supplying are all at the 700whp range with the hybrid turbos but the torque has to be limited. The hybrid snail can make 800whp reliably but that is far beyond the limits of the internals so unless you are building the engine the point is moot. Those numbers are good for about a 9.7xx 1/4 and trap speeds at the 140mph mark.

Any fueling issues are generally a tuning problem or exceeding what the stock pump is capable of. There are simple solutions for this if you are going to be attempting to make these kinds of power levels.

The bottom line is that if the car is tuned correctly and the torque is limited to the above numbers, the drivetrain will remain reliable and functional. SRM's shop car was dyno'd recently at the 700whp 550wtq mark. The redline was raised to 8000rpm and it runs like a Honda all on the hybrid turbo and APR tune. Stay at or below those numbers and all is well.

Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '16 V60CC, '08 987 S
      10-26-2018 06:30 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      This is part of the problem with guerilla marketing and misinformation that some are putting out intentionally...

For starters, Hank's shop car (IROZ) is a fully built top to bottom motor. This is why it is capable of putting down the power that it does and he is the only person to hit a 9.4xx in the 1/4. The I5 is capable STOCK of handling around the mid to upper 500WTQ area and no more. The rods start bending when you push past that and the only way to alleviate that is to start building internals.

The stock block cars are fine in the mid 550wtq range and will run reliably at that number. The cars Silly Rabbit have been building or supplying are all at the 700whp range with the hybrid turbos but the torque has to be limited. The hybrid snail can make 800whp reliably but that is far beyond the limits of the internals so unless you are building the engine the point is moot. Those numbers are good for about a 9.7xx 1/4 and trap speeds at the 140mph mark.

Any fueling issues are generally a tuning problem or exceeding what the stock pump is capable of. There are simple solutions for this if you are going to be attempting to make these kinds of power levels.

The bottom line is that if the car is tuned correctly and the torque is limited to the above numbers, the drivetrain will remain reliable and functional. SRM's shop car was dyno'd recently at the 700whp 550wtq mark. The redline was raised to 8000rpm and it runs like a Honda all on the hybrid turbo and APR tune. Stay at or below those numbers and all is well.
      Are you related to IROZ? I live in Vegas, but I've never seen IROZ's shop. I would love to take a look at it one of these weekends. . . .
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      10-26-2018 07:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Are you related to IROZ? I live in Vegas, but I've never seen IROZ's shop. I would love to take a look at it one of these weekends. . . .
      LOL no I'm not. I am good friends with Sean at SRM so I get to see a lot of they stuff he does from the ground up. OMG you should see their RS7...

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-26-2018 07:28 PM #47
      Jacob your post is perfect. I didn’t feel like going into specifics. Thanks for doing that. There is a lot of animosity and angst amongst tuner fanboys in this small market. I’m not one of them. I want everybody to succeed and push the platform as a whole forward. Love what Sean and Hank have brought to the community as well.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      10-26-2018 07:30 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by moto surf View Post
      god damn son! What you do for a living?!
      Farming!

Sorry, I’m responding on my phone between cases.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      10-26-2018 08:06 PM #49
      Jacob your post is perfect. I didn’t feel like going into specifics. Thanks for doing that. There is a lot of animosity and angst amongst tuner fanboys in this small market. I’m not one of them. I want everybody to succeed and push the platform as a whole forward. Love what Sean and Hank have brought to the community as well.
      Seriously it is something that I never understand. You would think that most of the people that are trying to drive this development and market would at least try to work together to some degree but alas there are some that knowingly try to distort and twist things to their advantage. It's sad.

Your car is fantastic and without question the correct color. Looking forward to future updates as well!

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      10-26-2018 10:17 PM #50
      I have to admit I knew about the Eurocode engine problem but I didn’t realize there were more. Over on Audizine it seems most people are being led to believe 700+ (crank) is possible on the stock internals, I guess it is more like 650. That is still plenty for a DD, so at least for me, no problem. The rest of the driveline seems pretty robust.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast