Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tow hook cover theft

1. Member
      Blog Entries
      10-30-2018 11:52 AM #1
      What's the deal with people stealing tow hook covers? I've had both my front and rear tow hook covers stolen and my fiance's front tow hook cover from her MK7 Golf lifted. I had to buy new ones, get them painted and then used Gorilla glue to prohibit thieves from doing it again. I just noticed today it looks like someone tried to slip a small object under my rear tow hook cover in an attempt to pop it off. Fortunately, the Gorilla glue kept that from happening.

Is there some type of seedy underground market for tow hook covers or are people just a$$holes?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Tornado Red Mk7.5 GTI SE 6 speed manual.
      10-30-2018 12:09 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      What's the deal with people stealing tow hook covers? I've had both my front and rear tow hook covers stolen and my fiance's front tow hook cover from her MK7 Golf lifted. I had to buy new ones, get them painted and then used Gorilla glue to prohibit thieves from doing it again. I just noticed today it looks like someone tried to slip a small object under my rear tow hook cover in an attempt to pop it off. Fortunately, the Gorilla glue kept that from happening.

Is there some type of seedy underground market for tow hook covers or are people just a$$holes?
      It's literally people who have the same car as you. These idiots lose theirs and are too cheap to buy another one. I had center caps taken off bbs wheels before while I had it parked infront of my house. Another friend with a mk3 Jetta had his left turn signal housing stolen. People can be really cheap sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
      Would ya look at that..
      .:dubnoxious:.
      flickr

4. Member
      Blog Entries
      10-30-2018 12:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by cwwiii View Post
      It's literally people who have the same car as you. These idiots lose theirs and are too cheap to buy another one. I had center caps taken off bbs wheels before while I had it parked infront of my house. Another friend with a mk3 Jetta had his left turn signal housing stolen. People can be really cheap sometimes.
      Quite annoying. And those silly pieces of plastic aren't cheap either. After buying two and then having them painted it was close to $100. Jerks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10-30-2018 12:16 PM #4
      Quite annoying. And those silly pieces of plastic aren't cheap either. After buying two and then having them painted it was close to $100. Jerks!
      That sucks, sorry man. If I were you I'd just rock a tow hook, especially if this happens regularly.

Would ya look at that..
      flickr

7. Member
      Blog Entries
      10-30-2018 04:26 PM #5
      That sucks, sorry man. If I were you I'd just rock a tow hook, especially if this happens regularly.
      Maybe I'll put some "This car protected by Gorilla Glue" stickers on my car.

Vehicles
      10-30-2018 04:55 PM #6
      Maybe I'll put some "This car protected by Gorilla Glue" stickers on my car.
      Or laminate a letter and stick it to the bumper saying you're on camera lol.

Would ya look at that..
      flickr

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      10-30-2018 07:48 PM #7
      What's probably going on here is there are miscreants who install those awful side-saddle tow hook mount license plate abominations, and lose (or toss) the stupid cover, then realize soon after that the thing looks hideous, and now need a "new" cover. So they steal someone else's. Rat bastards, lowest of the low.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

10. Member
      Blog Entries
      12-18-2018 06:50 PM #8
      Welp, happened again. This time they took the little driver’s door handle cover (I have Keesy). $10 part from eBay VW dealer. Who knows what paint shop will charge me, but I think it’s time to start looking into a beater and get this one sold privately. Shame.

Live in the city, can’t have nice things.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI
      12-19-2018 12:48 PM #9
      WTF!!!!! I think I might glue mine now. I assume that in the event the tow hook is needed, I'll have bigger problems to worry about lol

I went through a period where people kept stealing my valve stem covers (the crappy plastic ones that bicycles use). Crazy world we live in.

Vehicles
      12-19-2018 12:49 PM #10
      I can't believe you're still having this problem. Time to invest in some cameras.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Would ya look at that..
      flickr

Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport
      12-19-2018 04:20 PM #11
      I've had a VW on a flatbed truck just twice in my lifetime. The operators didn't use the tow hook at all. Instead, they simply put a hook in a subframe hole and and hauled-up the car. I'm not crazy about it, but it's the reality of how they work in the field. With that said, I'm thinking that gluing the cover won't hurt a thing because most tow truck operators may not even use them. Who knows?

Vehicles
      12-19-2018 07:51 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_TDI View Post
      I've had a VW on a flatbed truck just twice in my lifetime. The operators didn't use the tow hook at all. Instead, they simply put a hook in a subframe hole and and hauled-up the car. I'm not crazy about it, but it's the reality of how they work in the field. With that said, I'm thinking that gluing the cover won't hurt a thing because most tow truck operators may not even use them. Who knows?
      Yeah me too, but I've seen a Jeep pull a Jetta out of a ditch using the tow hook. Its a good backup when you need some civilian help lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Would ya look at that..
      flickr

15. Member
      Blog Entries
      12-20-2018 04:22 PM #13
      I can't believe you're still having this problem. Time to invest in some cameras.
      I thought about setting-up my IP Cam to point outside, but I doubt it will matter even if I catch the culprit(s). I'm betting they are punk kids and if they do get in trouble, they'll just trash my car in retaliation. The real solution is to move. And in the interim, get a beater. I have a 3 block commute now. I walk. No sense keeping a nice car anyhow.