VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

O1M Transmission Always in 3rd Gear - No Matter Where You Shift

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ehv74 
#1 ·
Hello Vortexers,

2000 O1M, had TCC lockup, replaced fluid with Amsoil, filter, cleaned valve body, installed the Transgo kit and solenoids from them. Had the issue right after where it would delay going into gear. Next day it was perfect; went right into gear (f & r), shifted through them all - all was good. Today my son took it to school, 35 mile round trip, 1,800 ft elevation down and up. Coming back up the hill it went into limp mode, got a little smelly, and now

No matter what gear you put it in Park, rev or fwd, it is stuck in 3rd gear even Park

I don't think it's a linkage issue. Cleared the 730 and 740 codes but still in gear. Any ideas that hopefully aren’t a replacement? I’ve searched the various vw sites but don’t see this issue.

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
I'm having the same problem so I know how to relate on this subject. It must be from the two cables (shift lock and selector cable) not being adjusted right. I'm tackling it right now since I replaced the selector cable a week ago, it was worn off and had too much play. I figured out the "shift lock" position and that was a b itch to work on. As soon as I figure this out, I'll chime in. Hey, you're not alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.