VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2.0T Coils and Catch-Can Success

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  -Sutekh 
#1 ·
Just wanted to reach out to the community on a couple questions.

Used to be a B5 Passat owner and currently have B6 A4 wagon waiting on a swap so I'm fairly familiar with VW.

My mother recently purchased a 2016 used 1.8t Sportwagen. Gone are the days of port injection and in come the days of valve cleaning. Valve cleaning doesn't concern me much since it seems to be as simple as removing the intake manifold and going in from there. However, I am hoping to extend that service interval of having to do so by getting a catch can installed to snag those pcv gasses. Is the effectiveness still dubious? Or have people been pulling out enough oil from the catch can to warrant its success?

Also, from my B5/B6 days, I have a few 2.0T coils left over that I purchased from ECS a while back. They are still in great condition. Do they still provide any benefit to these new Gen 3's?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The EA888 engine has a better PCV system and so far, valve cleaning hasn't been a requirement. A catch can will pull oil out, but even on older engines, the catch can did not help much with the dirty valve problem.

#3 ·
I had a bad experience with a catch can. Last winter it froze up causing bucking and starving issues. Not good. When I pulled it off, it was literally leaking water from the ice that was melting in the garage.

I later found out that catch cans create a ton of condensation issues even if they don't freeze... Guess where that condensation goes!

I've got the stock separator on there now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.