VWVortex.com - PSA: Clean your haldex screen.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Clean your haldex screen.

Vehicles
      B8 S4, MK7 TDI Golf SW, MK5 GTI, MK4 Jetta
      11-08-2018 11:49 AM #1

Some of you may have noticed poor haldex performance. If so, check out your haldex screen. It's probably clogged. We've seen many. Here are two customer supplied images.

Clean it!

Suggestion: Check every 10-15K.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 11-08-2018 11:54 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Some of you may have noticed poor haldex performance. If so, check out your haldex screen. It's probably clogged. We've seen many. Here are two customer supplied images.

Clean it!

Suggestion: Check every 10-15K.
      Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      11-08-2018 12:07 PM #3
      Does this all pop out when you go and do the Hadley service ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      11-08-2018 12:07 PM #4
      Thanks for the heads up. Is there a DIY for this?

Just bought my R and new to haldex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      2018 Golf R MKVII
      Setup - Oryx White Pearl :: 4 Door :: Manual 6MT :: 19" Englishtown
      Mods - All Stock

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT DCC
      11-08-2018 12:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by LMike6453 View Post
      Thanks for the heads up. Is there a DIY for this?

Just bought my R and new to haldex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uid-Change-DIY

7. 11-08-2018 12:32 PM #6
      We should sticky this diy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Member
      11-08-2018 01:04 PM #7
      Filter doesn't get that dirty. Just had mine done at 25k with 4 track events and it was barely dirty. Waste of time/money to do it every 10k

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      11-08-2018 01:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Crild View Post
      Filter doesn't get that dirty. Just had mine done at 25k with 4 track events and it was barely dirty. Waste of time/money to do it every 10k

This seems to vary wildly by production date and revision of the coupling. The latest revisions don't seem to exhibit this amount of material build-up. Previous revisions seem to be more prone. But hey, could just be luck of the draw and some units came with too much machining product left inside?

Vehicles
      B8 S4, MK7 TDI Golf SW, MK5 GTI, MK4 Jetta
      11-08-2018 02:03 PM #9
      Modify your change intervals accordingly. I'd err on the side of caution and performance since I'd want the most out of my vehicle.

11. Member
      11-08-2018 02:59 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by wuZheng View Post
      This seems to vary wildly by production date and revision of the coupling. The latest revisions don't seem to exhibit this amount of material build-up. Previous revisions seem to be more prone. But hey, could just be luck of the draw and some units came with too much machining product left inside?
      Didn't know they changed anything. Was suprised to see how clean mine was vs these photos of peoples you see online. It's pretty wild how varied.it seems

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      11-08-2018 03:32 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Crild View Post
      Didn't know they changed anything. Was suprised to see how clean mine was vs these photos of peoples you see online. It's pretty wild how varied.it seems

My first Haldex coupling failed (rev. G), I kind of wished I asked the techs at the time to tear apart the motor to see if the filter basket was gunked up, because there was definitely fluid in there, but for whatever reason the clutch was engaging despite correct signalling. My local dealer (Humberview VW, Toronto) didn't even ask questions, just straight up warrantied the unit. Now I have a rev. M coupling, 50,000km later I do Haldex servicing and have my guy remove the pump, spotless filter basket. We'll see how well that holds up over time.

Vehicles
      2015 VW Golf R MK7
      11-08-2018 04:25 PM #12
      Thank you, Arin!

Called to set up an appointment to have this done on my car.
      Last edited by CTWalter2015R; 11-08-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      11-08-2018 04:40 PM #13
      Please be gentle with the newbish question, but can you inspect the filter screen without having to dump and change the fluid?

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      11-08-2018 06:42 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfWRXSTI View Post
      Please be gentle with the newbish question, but can you inspect the filter screen without having to dump and change the fluid?
      No. You will lose some or most of the fluid. Not to mention that you may contaminate it with the outside dirt particles. If you're going trough the trouble of removing the pump, spend another 10 min and change the oil.
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      11-09-2018 01:45 AM #15
      That's a pretty nasty buildup, but are we looking at something serviced at 25k miles or 125k for the first time? That picture yells out 'neglected service' to me. If that's a low mileage example it's definitely got some issues.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      11-09-2018 09:06 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by clempot911 View Post
      That picture yells out 'neglected service' to me. If that's a low mileage example it's definitely got some issues.
      The problem is that VW's 30K miles scheduled Haldex service only calls for changing the fluid, and not for inspecting/cleaning the filter. It's been widely posted that most dealers seem unaware that there even is a filter that could be inspected/cleaned. (The filter isn't exposed during a normal drain/fill.)

Based on the numerous user photos posted there's a lot of variability in filter blockage. I checked mine at 15K miles and found it maybe 10-15% blocked by sediment, so in pretty good shape. However there are also photos showing completely blocked filters at 25K miles. I presume this is due to usage. That black sediment has to come from the Haldex clutch friction disks. The only thing that seems certain is that a blocked filter is going to lead to premature Haldex failure if it isn't cleaned off.

I'd think that a 20K miles service interval would cover most cases, but even the normal 30K miles drain/fill might be OK as long as the pump gets pulled to check/clean the filter screen. However if you're regularly running quarter miles, or otherwise working the Haldex harder than normally, then you'd need to decide for yourself how much more frequently to check.

Neil

18. 11-09-2018 09:59 AM #17
      My awd stop working so a trip to the dealer and they replaced the haldex pump, did 2 flushes with a drive in between..and they threw in a new battery..( not sure why 2 flushes just reading the service write up)
      Im in a 2016 audi s3 btw..with 19500 miles
      Last edited by S3n; 11-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.

19. 11-09-2018 11:27 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      The problem is that VW's 30K miles scheduled Haldex service only calls for changing the fluid, and not for inspecting/cleaning the filter. It's been widely posted that most dealers seem unaware that there even is a filter that could be inspected/cleaned. (The filter isn't exposed during a normal drain/fill.)

Based on the numerous user photos posted there's a lot of variability in filter blockage. I checked mine at 15K miles and found it maybe 10-15% blocked by sediment, so in pretty good shape. However there are also photos showing completely blocked filters at 25K miles. I presume this is due to usage. That black sediment has to come from the Haldex clutch friction disks. The only thing that seems certain is that a blocked filter is going to lead to premature Haldex failure if it isn't cleaned off.

I'd think that a 20K miles service interval would cover most cases, but even the normal 30K miles drain/fill might be OK as long as the pump gets pulled to check/clean the filter screen. However if you're regularly running quarter miles, or otherwise working the Haldex harder than normally, then you'd need to decide for yourself how much more frequently to check.

Neil
      Interesting.... I do mine every 25K, and have never pulled the pump. I really don't work mine, despite it being my daily, so I would say the Haldex's primary use is a function of weather conditions (rain/snow).

The last time I dropped the oil, it was so clean the guy helping me out remarked on how clear it looked. I'm at ~73k right now, so in the next couple of weeks I will do both pump and drain. I'll try to take a snap or two and report back on how filter looks.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT DCC
      11-12-2018 02:43 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by DiscerningIS4 View Post
      Interesting.... I do mine every 25K, and have never pulled the pump. I really don't work mine, despite it being my daily, so I would say the Haldex's primary use is a function of weather conditions (rain/snow).

The last time I dropped the oil, it was so clean the guy helping me out remarked on how clear it looked. I'm at ~73k right now, so in the next couple of weeks I will do both pump and drain. I'll try to take a snap or two and report back on how filter looks.
      Same here. I did mine at 30k miles and the fluid was remarkably clean. I did pull the pump and the screen was virtually spotless, so I just gave it a quick wipe and put it right back together. Will do every 30k just in case, but couldn't have easily extended that service interval. I don't track the car, but drive reasonably hard in the rain/snow of New England (why else get a golf R?!).

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      11-12-2018 04:12 PM #20
      I only have 9k miles on my 16 Golf R but about 40-50 1/4 mile track passes. I already have the fluid but was gonna wait till I get a little higher in miles. Anybody think I should change the oil and check the filter to be safe? I have no problems whatsoever.
      Present - 2016 Golf R DSG JB4
      Past - 91 Talon TSI, 92 Talon TSI, 92 Galant Vr4, 95 Jeep Wrangler, 2012 Nissan Altima SE-R, 2012 Subaru WRX

Vehicles
      2015 VW Golf R MK7
      11-13-2018 01:13 PM #21
      Thank you, Arin for your PSA. I had my Haldex service completed by Jamie of Rook Motorsports in Brandford, CT. I was very happy with the filter not being all gummed up but the fluid was very dark. Weirdly this was the first time I had this service done with 31,000 and change miles on the car.

Last edited by CTWalter2015R; 11-13-2018 at 01:17 PM.

23. 02-08-2019 06:16 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DiscerningIS4 View Post

Hello folks!! Following up as promised....

78k now on the counter... pulled the pump to find that it was 90% clean (not even worth taking a pic). Very little 'gunk', but as I said, 90% of the screen was clean. Oil color was a very very light greenish, with mouth wash transparency. As a data point, I do my changes very 25k and almost never turn off ESC. I suppose I'm using the haldex only in the rain and the very light winters here in DC. Hope this helps

PS... I did not unplug the pump, just twisted/spun it out and twisted/spun it back in. Reused screws, torqued to spec. When you pull the pump, you'll lose a very little amount of fluid, not enough to justify accounting for it in the refill. Proof of this was that I only used 650-700 mL of the total 850 mL in the bottle, and it was spewing when I pulled the hose from the orifice (you could argue it was pressurized, but meh, by the time I put the plug back in, it settled to a nice little run). Some will say you have to wait till it only drips, but I reasoned that that ever so slight overfill would account for the loss from the pump pull). Again, hope this helps everyone else.
      Last edited by DiscerningIS4; 02-08-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added more info

24. 02-08-2019 09:41 PM #23
      Having owned a few Haldex-equipped cars, here's my thoughts based on my own observation and usage pattern: the biggest variable in how dirty that screen gets is where you park your car...

I have a 3-4 point turn, going full lock, up hill, everything I pull into my driveway. I also have to parallel park often. Going full lock forward/reverse causes pretty high pressure in the Haldex pump--followed by the pump shutting down and the fluid not moving. Every time I changed my Haldex filter (with a Gen3 Haldex that actually had a filter), it was packed with debris. OTOH, when I started parking that car on the street and pulling right in, the amount of gunk in the filter went way down and the fluid looked like new after 15K.

If you actually monitor pump pressure via VSDS, you'll see what I mean.

There is no filter in the Gen 5, just that screen on the pump; as such, I do think it's a good idea to check it at 20K or so just to see--but if you don't see any debris on there, I'd just stick to changing the fluid and maybe pulling the pump at 100K, unless your driving patterns change.

02-08-2019 09:48 PM #24
      I only have 19k miles on my R and have just done my Haldex fluid change 500 miles ago. See the photos below. My question is, does the gelatin/clumping go away after the first change? I heard it gels like this because of the 'assembly' lube they use not playing well with the Haldex fluid, and that it gets better, less gel, after you do your first fluid change. Is there any truth to this for those that have changed their fluid more than just once?

-Chad

'16 Lapiz Blue Golf R w/DCC, Nav, DAP: 19" TSW Bathurst, Euro R tails, HPA catted downpipe, Unitronic Stage 2 ECU/TCU, Uni TIP, Majesty Intercooler
      [email protected] 1.73 60ft

26. 02-08-2019 10:59 PM #25
      No, there's no assembly lube in the Haldex system. Those are wet clutch chunks mixed with Haldex fluid. While there may be a little bit more break-in wear since the clutch plates are new, I wouldn't expect it to look much different 20K from now. Looking at your screen, I think I'd look at pulling it again next time, maybe a little sooner next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast