VWVortex.com - PSA: Clean your haldex screen.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 37 of 37

    Thread: PSA: Clean your haldex screen.

    1. Member S1ack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2005
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      1,067
      Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      02-09-2019 01:56 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfRRRR View Post
      I heard it gels like this because of the 'assembly' lube they use not playing well with the Haldex fluid, and that it gets better, less gel, after you do your first fluid change. Is there any truth to this for those that have changed their fluid more than just once?
      See the DIY thread for more pics of screens at various mileages....Although I'm not sure if any of the photos are of the 2nd change.

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uid-Change-DIY

      From memory, those really polluted screens seem to be the minority.

      Jack Watts' experience is...interesting. I would have thought it (sludge) more directly proportional to hard driving or perhaps even climate i.e.... snow / ice calling for more rear wheel action.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

    2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member lilR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Posts
      318
      Vehicles
      2016 6MT Golf R
      02-11-2019 02:38 AM #27
      How to tell if it's affecting the haldex system? Do you get a CEL?

    4. Junior Member SubrosaVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2011
      Location
      Clovis, New Mexico
      Posts
      84
      Vehicles
      MK7 Golf R [Lapiz] MK4 .:R32 [BMP]
      02-11-2019 05:01 AM #28
      I wouldn't even wait to get a cel. Its stupid easy to change! I made a video step by step, all the required items are in the description!
      https://youtu.be/M5Jp9XnRx4g
      Instagram: Br32yce
      Lapiz Blue MK7 R [6mt]
      Most of Racingline's parts paired with a UM Tune!
      Youtube.com/c/BryceJordanProductions <- MK7/VW content - Autocross//Drag//Installs//Reviews!

    5. Member wuZheng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2015
      Location
      Toronto, ON, Canada
      Posts
      903
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      02-11-2019 07:36 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by lilR View Post
      How to tell if it's affecting the haldex system? Do you get a CEL?
      You don't get a CEL, just one day you'll feel your front wheels slip under power more than you're used to, then it gets worse. Then you think to yourself, you know what'd be a good idea to test it? Launch control. Smoke show. Welp. Scan codes, oh hey AWD mechanical malfunction. Fun times. I got mine replaced at the dealer under warranty no questions asked, and it should be so common now that other dealers shouldn't think twice about it.

    6. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2019
      Location
      South Australia
      Posts
      16
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Golf R
      02-15-2019 03:50 AM #30
      Having read this entire thread plus another on the subject at another forum, I am perplexed about this gunk. Some people seemingly have nothing on the sieve, filter, screen while others have it covered in thick gunk. Sometimes it looks solid particles (to be expected), other times like a bacterial or mould culture. There seems to be no or little connection to driving style.
      When someone gets the "culture" type, can they spread it out on a slide and inspect under a microscope and tell what they see. Are there cells or threads? Is anything MOVING ?? semi-seriously.

    7. Member wuZheng's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2015
      Location
      Toronto, ON, Canada
      Posts
      903
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      02-15-2019 07:32 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by funnelweb View Post
      Having read this entire thread plus another on the subject at another forum, I am perplexed about this gunk. Some people seemingly have nothing on the sieve, filter, screen while others have it covered in thick gunk. Sometimes it looks solid particles (to be expected), other times like a bacterial or mould culture. There seems to be no or little connection to driving style.
      When someone gets the "culture" type, can they spread it out on a slide and inspect under a microscope and tell what they see. Are there cells or threads? Is anything MOVING ?? semi-seriously.
      I think its indicative of QA issues personally that its this spotty. It's also pretty telling that in the relatively short history of this car, theres been more revisions to the assembly than I can count on one hand. Sloppy engineering, sloppy assembly, and the kicker? The official repair manuals don't tell you to maintain the filter.

    8. 02-15-2019 10:36 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by wuZheng View Post
      I think its indicative of QA issues personally that its this spotty. It's also pretty telling that in the relatively short history of this car, theres been more revisions to the assembly than I can count on one hand. Sloppy engineering, sloppy assembly, and the kicker? The official repair manuals don't tell you to maintain the filter.
      I think there's a small chance it may be a little QA, but it's remote. It's more likely a design perspective issue; engineers don't cost-effectively design for exceptionally arduous use that people are putting into them. Afterall, our systems default to having the system being off-line until required (i.e. FWD vs. FULLTIME AWD).

      Let's be honest consumers, some of us do abuse the hell out the system, and NOTHING lasts forever.

    9. 02-16-2019 01:56 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by wuZheng View Post
      I think its indicative of QA issues personally that its this spotty. It's also pretty telling that in the relatively short history of this car, theres been more revisions to the assembly than I can count on one hand. Sloppy engineering, sloppy assembly, and the kicker? The official repair manuals don't tell you to maintain the filter.
      This is not a QA issue and has nothing to do with assembly. It's related to how much clutch material is shed--which related directly to the usage pattern. This is not specific to VW. Every car that has used the Haldex system exhibits the same thing; some owners experience heavy build-up on the filter and/or screen, and some don't.

      The unfortunate thing is that they ditched the filter in the GenV version of the Haldex unit. Looking at some of the clogged screens, it's clearly still necessary.
      Last edited by Jack Watts; 02-16-2019 at 01:58 AM.

    10. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2013
      Location
      Suburbadelphia
      Posts
      63
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT; 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 5MT
      02-16-2019 11:17 AM #34
      Also, as indicated in other threads, be aware that checking/cleaning that screen is apparently NOT part of a service protocol for VW dealers.
      My local independent shop called the dealer for details and their service department knew nothing about the pump screen.
      I directed my shop tech to a thread on this forum.

      If you're not a DIYer, don't assume your shop will inspect/clean the screen if all you ask for is a fluid change/service.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2014
      Location
      Fort Wayne, IN, USA
      Posts
      1,798
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      02-16-2019 11:20 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Watts View Post
      This is not a QA issue and has nothing to do with assembly. It's related to how much clutch material is shed--which related directly to the usage pattern. This is not specific to VW. Every car that has used the Haldex system exhibits the same thing; some owners experience heavy build-up on the filter and/or screen, and some don't.

      The unfortunate thing is that they ditched the filter in the GenV version of the Haldex unit. Looking at some of the clogged screens, it's clearly still necessary.
      ^^^^
      This

      At this point the easy and proper action for VW to take would be to add a screen check/clean to the Haldex maintenance schedule, and possibly shorten the service interval.

      I bet they don't though.

      Neil

    12. Member Golf R MK7's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2015
      Posts
      284
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2016 Audi S3
      02-17-2019 10:18 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      At this point the easy and proper action for VW to take would be to add a screen check/clean to the Haldex maintenance schedule, and possibly shorten the service interval.
      My dealer had no clue about this when I recently took it in to have both haldex and dsg fluids changed. I had ask the service tech to google haldex screen to help explain what I was referring to. He quickly pointed out that they do not inspect this and it requires an additional step to remove the pump/housing. My fluid was clean, and my dsg performs well (stg II). They didn't inspect my pump screen. I might take it back for good measure and ask them to take a picture of the screen and clean if necessary. I wonder if climate/environment has anything to do with the seemingly random appearance of clogged haldex pump filters. I know our cars were known to ship with low dsg fluid from the factory too. I had mine checked within the first 500 miles of ownership, it was fine. Yes, would be nice if VW was a little more pro-active on this. Offer it as an add on (option) to the existing service schedule?

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2013
      Location
      Suburbadelphia
      Posts
      63
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT; 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 5MT
      02-17-2019 11:07 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Golf R MK7 View Post
      ... They didn't inspect my pump screen. I might take it back for good measure and ask them to take a picture of the screen and clean if necessary. ...
      Definitely take it back, or to an independent shop, and have the screen checked/cleaned. If it is gunked up for too long, you will have a very expensive problem on your hands.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •