VWVortex.com - It's been a very odd day.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: It's been a very odd day.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      11-14-2018 07:29 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You use it to call for help when you break down from a total cooling system failure.
      Well, if you really wanted to be a glutton for punishment, you could have gotten an AllRoad...

Gonna miss the PoorRunner. Tell me you sharted in the seats really good before it drove off. Make the next guy think the next hot cologne would be Eau D'Erik.

Say hi to the coffee machine for me.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-14-2018 07:39 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Im starting to feel bad that all the best deals go to you and no one else...
      Wanna find a buyer for the Duramax?
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      11-14-2018 07:54 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      Wanna find a buyer for the Duramax?
      IDK that diesel stuff is pretty dirty....
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-14-2018 08:02 PM #54
      IDK that diesel stuff is pretty dirty....
      *goes outside and plays in traffic*
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      11-14-2018 09:03 PM #55
      Well... at least we’re still driving similar cars. RWD FTW

Seriously, congrats. Manuel, in-line six with no FI, great chassis, that’s a no-brainer.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

7. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      11-14-2018 09:15 PM #56
      Glad you’re looking to address the cooling system. That’s the biggest Achilles heel on these. After that, pour gas in, drive and enjoy.

Pinch Brandon’s nipples for me when you’re in Chicago.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      11-14-2018 09:19 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Well... at least we’re still driving similar cars. RWD FTW
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      11-14-2018 09:44 PM #58
      Oh waw, congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      11-14-2018 09:54 PM #59
      My bad, I guess I didn't have the radiator on there.

It's $388

That includes -

Behr Radiator
      URO Parts Pully
      Wahler Thermostat
      ContiTech Expansion Tank Hose
      Rein Radiator Hose
      BMW Lower Radiator Hose
      BMW Water Pump
      FCP Euro is a great parts resource for these cars. Their BMW catalog is top notch and everything they sell is guaranteed - ie if you need to/want to replace it again, you just return the previous one you bought and they send you a new one. Just did that with the brake rotors from the M3 - they rusted pretty good from sitting for 6 months. Why drive on them or get them cut when I can replace them for free?

BTW I would avoid the Behr radiator - they are known for early life failure (like within a year or so). It’s worth it to go with an all-aluminum radiator like a Mishimoto. I would also preemptively replace the expansion tank and cap while you’re servicing the cooling system. Make sure the water pump is a metal impeller (not sure if the M54 was already equipped with one). Other oil seals (valve cover, oil filter housing, etc) replace as needed.

87k miles might mean that the control arm bushings haven’t been serviced and may be due. You’ll know by how (not) well it drives.

Nice score. My E36 M3 handled my 100 mile/day commute with ease. Can’t wait to get the new one back up and running.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      11-14-2018 10:29 PM #60
      Nice find chief!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      FCP Euro is a great parts resource for these cars.
      QFT

Vehicles
      11-14-2018 10:40 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Nice find chief!
      Thanks

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      11-14-2018 11:15 PM #62
      I haven't ordered it yet, but I've got a cart together on Amazon for radiator, expansion tank, new caps, new upper and lower hoses, water pump, and thermostat.

$258 after shipping and tax.

Not bad.
      Just replaced my leaking radiator along with tank/hoses on my 323 couple of weeks back for the first time. Easy job. Check your pulleys and belts as well.

Vehicles
      11-14-2018 11:17 PM #63
      Check out rear bushings and inspect rear subframe

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      11-14-2018 11:42 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Check out rear bushings and inspect rear subframe
      Can you be more specific. Been a while since I’ve owned a car.

Subframe bushings? Control arm bushings? Sway bar bushings? End link bushings? Shock mount bushings?

Lolololbushings?
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      11-14-2018 11:46 PM #65

Subframe bushings? Control arm bushings? Sway bar bushings? End link bushings? Shock mount bushings?

Lolololbushings?
      Sorry. The rear diff bushing

Vehicles
      11-14-2018 11:48 PM #66
      Look into the clutch delay valve delete. Hated it on my 325 so I removed it.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      MK VI Jetta GLI
      11-15-2018 02:23 AM #67
      This is a great pick up and you can have a lot of fun with this car. Here is mine, been in the family since new. Now it has 175K miles on it.

2003 by BGTI

3001 by BGTI

Mine is also a 325I although my bro bought it with the Sports package as the only option.
      Here is what you need to do if you are willing to spend some $$:
      1) Replace front control arms. Look into the ZHP ones. Get the FCAB from the ZHP as well
      2) Replace the RTAB with M3 bushings and add the bushing limiters (made from Delrin) or similar.
      3) Replace the shocks and springs. I went with street H&R cup kit. If you want to spend some $$ go for coilovers.
      4) Replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Go for the solid rubber ones (not fluid filled). They are great and inexpensive. They will do wonders with regards to shudder in first gear.
      5) Replace your shifter bushings. A kit is about $80. I just did mine over the weekend and it is quite involving. You need to remove the exhaust, heat shield and driveshaft. Replace the guibo while you are at it.
      6) Replace the differential bushing at the rear. The front ones do not really go bad. The part is only about $40 but you need a tool to remove and install it. Its about $90 for the tool I think.
      7) Remove the CDV (clutch delete valve). It sucks.
      8) Install a ZHP muffler or spend some $ on a custom or Borla. This is up to you.
      9) Install an automatic differential. It's 3.46 vs 3.15 for the stick. The increased acceleration is noticeable especially in 2nd gear. First drive the car the way it is and see how you feel. I installed one in mine and I love it. But I also autox my car and I am looking for all the torque I can get in 2nd gear.
      10) Check if there is a recall on the airbags. Mine have both been replaced last year.
      11) If you have massive oil leaks you need to check the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter housing and oil pan.
      12) Low voltage on the battery can create some weird electrical crap with the instruments. So if you have weird light or warnings check the battery first.
      13) Get a smoke machine and check all your rubber hoses and vacuums in the intake. They are notorious for leaking air and tripping the check engine light.
      14) Check if the car is SULEV. If it is, be aware that the fuel pump is integral to the tank. It must be replaced as one.
      15) A hesitation when accelerating can be cause by a bad plug or coil or a failing fuel pump. All are easy to replace.
      16) If you have a weird cricket sound in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel or a whistling sound then you need to replace a small fan that is cooling an electronic computer. Its almost like a laptop fan. Google it up. I gave up and changed mine after listening to the damm thing for years.
      17) Window regulators suck although mine are still original. If they make noise, open the window and try to fix them. You may be able to save them.
      18) The cloth on the pillar covers on the interior fails after while. I tried to fix mine but they did not look good. So I bought a set from ECS. They look sharp now.
      19) Just because you have the phone button on the steering it does not mean you have the BT module. Google it up. There is tons of info.
      20) Look into swapping sport seats. The regular seats suck. Its like you seat on a wooden bench.

Everything I mentioned above should come after fixing all the maintenance related items of course. If you have any questions just ask. I am pretty familiar with these cars.

Vehicles
      11-15-2018 02:33 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post
      This is a great pick up and you can have a lot of fun with this car. Here is mine, been in the family since new. Now it has 175K miles on it.

Now that is a great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      11-15-2018 02:42 AM #69
      Now that is a great post

Subscribed, I'm going to need a different winter car in a year or two.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-15-2018 05:42 AM #70
      Great purchase. I was seriously considering picking up my sisters BMW wagon of this vintage, but no manuel so I didn't.

In for more updates and road trip pictures.

11-15-2018 06:44 AM #71
      Nice pickup.

that has to be one of the cleanest 14yo bmws I have seen. hope it turns out well
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      11-15-2018 09:36 AM #72
      He probably also means check the subframe mounts for cracks in the chassis. Pretty much everything important has been mentioned so far. Welcome to the E46 club!

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

24. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      11-15-2018 10:26 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post

2003 by BGTI

3001 by BGTI

Mine is also a 325I although my bro bought it with the Sports package as the only option.
      Here is what you need to do if you are willing to spend some $$:
      1) Replace front control arms. Look into the ZHP ones. Get the FCAB from the ZHP as well
      2) Replace the RTAB with M3 bushings and add the bushing limiters (made from Delrin) or similar.
      3) Replace the shocks and springs. I went with street H&R cup kit. If you want to spend some $$ go for coilovers.
      4) Replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Go for the solid rubber ones (not fluid filled). They are great and inexpensive. They will do wonders with regards to shudder in first gear.
      5) Replace your shifter bushings. A kit is about $80. I just did mine over the weekend and it is quite involving. You need to remove the exhaust, heat shield and driveshaft. Replace the guibo while you are at it.
      6) Replace the differential bushing at the rear. The front ones do not really go bad. The part is only about $40 but you need a tool to remove and install it. Its about $90 for the tool I think.
      7) Remove the CDV (clutch delete valve). It sucks.
      8) Install a ZHP muffler or spend some $ on a custom or Borla. This is up to you.
      9) Install an automatic differential. It's 3.46 vs 3.15 for the stick. The increased acceleration is noticeable especially in 2nd gear. First drive the car the way it is and see how you feel. I installed one in mine and I love it. But I also autox my car and I am looking for all the torque I can get in 2nd gear.
      10) Check if there is a recall on the airbags. Mine have both been replaced last year.
      11) If you have massive oil leaks you need to check the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter housing and oil pan.
      12) Low voltage on the battery can create some weird electrical crap with the instruments. So if you have weird light or warnings check the battery first.
      13) Get a smoke machine and check all your rubber hoses and vacuums in the intake. They are notorious for leaking air and tripping the check engine light.
      14) Check if the car is SULEV. If it is, be aware that the fuel pump is integral to the tank. It must be replaced as one.
      15) A hesitation when accelerating can be cause by a bad plug or coil or a failing fuel pump. All are easy to replace.
      16) If you have a weird cricket sound in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel or a whistling sound then you need to replace a small fan that is cooling an electronic computer. Its almost like a laptop fan. Google it up. I gave up and changed mine after listening to the damm thing for years.
      17) Window regulators suck although mine are still original. If they make noise, open the window and try to fix them. You may be able to save them.
      18) The cloth on the pillar covers on the interior fails after while. I tried to fix mine but they did not look good. So I bought a set from ECS. They look sharp now.
      19) Just because you have the phone button on the steering it does not mean you have the BT module. Google it up. There is tons of info.
      20) Look into swapping sport seats. The regular seats suck. Its like you seat on a wooden bench.

Everything I mentioned above should come after fixing all the maintenance related items of course. If you have any questions just ask. I am pretty familiar with these cars.
      Wow, thanks for the info, I'll probably be referencing this in the future.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      11-15-2018 10:42 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      He probably also means check the subframe mounts for cracks in the chassis. Pretty much everything important has been mentioned so far. Welcome to the E46 club!
      The chassis cracks?
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      11-15-2018 10:45 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      The chassis cracks?
      Yeah, the E46 is known for cracks where the rear subframe mounts.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-gallery-e46-subframe
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast