Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Jeep Gladiator Pickup for 2020

04-12-2019 08:04 AM #676
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Yes I've driven large parts of trails with just the clutch in my diesel Wrangler.
      Nice

My buddy had a old XJ Cherokee, used to go off-roading with him. It was an auto, but then I thought him how to drive manual, and swapped in a manual in his XJ. He loved it
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      04-12-2019 08:39 AM #677
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      Imagine just gently letting go of the clutch pedal and the truck just keeps going no problem and no stalling.
      You don't really need a diesel to do that though. Even a gas engine in 4low is difficult to stall.

4. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      04-12-2019 02:23 PM #678
      Fully agree. 400 torque is excellent for a Wrangler/Renegade
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

5. 04-12-2019 02:42 PM #679
      Aside from the crumple zone issue, I also think that it has too much HP. It’s overkill. This truck needs the torque tho.

What’s the most torque a HEMI can put out? What about the diesel?

They should offer the same for the JLU since a lot of guys end up with 37s and a lift.

On a side note, I think it’s funny how a VW 2.0T has almost the same torque as a Pentastar...
      The all aluminum Helliphant 1000hp crate engine will fit too. Just saying . . .

04-12-2019 03:11 PM #680
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      The all aluminum Helliphant 1000hp crate engine will fit too. Just saying . . .
      1000 HP and 950 torque would make a JLU or Gladiator into a death machine
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

7. 04-12-2019 03:32 PM #681
      And yet there will be a line a mile long for the swap.

8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-12-2019 03:43 PM #682
      Only for the idiots. Is that a problem?
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure

04-12-2019 09:53 PM #683
      Very important comparison @ 4:32

2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

10. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      04-12-2019 10:29 PM #684
      Yikes. It's a whale in comparison.

04-13-2019 12:13 AM #685
      The Edmunds video is great. Watched it start to finish. That 1160 pound payload is way less than the roughly ~1500 you get in a Colorado ZR2 or Ranger FX4, but it's similar to what Toyota gives you in the Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Still means you'll be in an either/or situation of you really go for max towing, as 7000lb towing is at least 700 on the tongue, leaving you with 460 pounds of payload, which is basically two adults, bags, and some assorted tools and such. So if you buy the Jeep to take the boat and whole family to the lake, it will need to be a boat that's on the lighter side in order to get 4 people and their gear plus the boat's tongue weight in that 1160 pound payload.

That said, it seems that most real people would rather only have to tow maybe 75% of their max rating in order to maintain a good safety margin. So towing 5000lb with 500 on the tongue means you've got 660 pounds of payload remaining. Plausible to have, say 180lb man, 140lb woman, two kids averaging 100lb each and still have 140 pounds left for gear. That's probably going to be a pretty common real-world situation and at least in Rubicon form with the 8-speed, that will work.

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-15-2019 11:01 AM #686
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      I showed my wife the videos so she was able to see the Gladiator in comparison to the Unlimited.

She was not entertained. She doesn't like it.

13. 04-15-2019 11:19 AM #687
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      I showed my wife the videos so she was able to see the Gladiator in comparison to the Unlimited.

She was not entertained. She doesn't like it.
      My wife is the same way. I'm still on the side of "I like it" but want to study some videos of one on a lift and 35s-37s to be sure I'm not going to regret trading in my JKUR.

14. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 12:06 PM #688
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      My wife is the same way. I'm still on the side of "I like it" but want to study some videos of one on a lift and 35s-37s to be sure I'm not going to regret trading in my JKUR.
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BwQEPdxjxfj/

This one did KOH, but stock class so it was pretty well um stock.. they redid it all after KOH.

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 01:56 PM #689
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      Indeed.

I think people need to stop expecting it to be a Jeep, when it's not a Jeep, it's a truck. Granted, it's a highly capable truck.
      Instagram - efrie004

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      04-15-2019 02:01 PM #690
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Indeed.

I think people need to stop expecting it to be a Jeep, when it's not a Jeep, it's a truck. Granted, it's a highly capable truck.
      Yeah. I look at it as a Wrangler bodied Dakota.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

17. 04-15-2019 03:27 PM #691
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The Edmunds video is great. Watched it start to finish. That 1160 pound payload is way less than the roughly ~1500 you get in a Colorado ZR2 or Ranger FX4, but it's similar to what Toyota gives you in the Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Still means you'll be in an either/or situation of you really go for max towing, as 7000lb towing is at least 700 on the tongue, leaving you with 460 pounds of payload, which is basically two adults, bags, and some assorted tools and such. So if you buy the Jeep to take the boat and whole family to the lake, it will need to be a boat that's on the lighter side in order to get 4 people and their gear plus the boat's tongue weight in that 1160 pound payload.

That said, it seems that most real people would rather only have to tow maybe 75% of their max rating in order to maintain a good safety margin. So towing 5000lb with 500 on the tongue means you've got 660 pounds of payload remaining. Plausible to have, say 180lb man, 140lb woman, two kids averaging 100lb each and still have 140 pounds left for gear. That's probably going to be a pretty common real-world situation and at least in Rubicon form with the 8-speed, that will work.
      If you get the Max Tow Glad then you get the full 1600lb payload, but I agree with everything you are saying when it comes to towing with a Rubi. With a 7k lb trailer, you basically only have 460lb left over for passengers and gear. Not great.

18. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 03:44 PM #692
      If you get the Max Tow Glad then you get the full 1600lb payload, but I agree with everything you are saying when it comes to towing with a Rubi. With a 7k lb trailer, you basically only have 460lb left over for passengers and gear. Not great.
      I believe the only one with the true 1600lbs capacity is the manual Sport, which can only tow 4k. Basically the trim with the highest payload has the lowest towing capacity.

This is just normal weird truck marketing.. We are now the ones with the highest capacity thing!!!*

*only in this one single possible configuration that also comes with significant drawbacks.

19. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-15-2019 05:20 PM #693
      I believe the only one with the true 1600lbs capacity is the manual Sport, which can only tow 4k. Basically the trim with the highest payload has the lowest towing capacity.

This is just normal weird truck marketing.. We are now the ones with the highest capacity thing!!!*

*only in this one single possible configuration that also comes with significant drawbacks.
      The 1600# payload is for both the Sport and Sport S with the disclaimer of "when properly equipped." Which is the manual; however, the max towing package gets you back close to 1600. Most trailers that you would *want* to tow with the Gladiator are under 6k pounds. A 26'+ trailer would be horrible with a mid-size. Yes, it can be done. So can a lot of things.

Towing capacities are based on a vehicle with only 1 occupant, a 150# driver. IIRC, Toyota actually calculates the Tundra's towing capacity different, which is why it's a little less than comparable Chevy/Ford/Dodge trucks. So the payload capacity has already taken into account the driver.

People also miscalculate how much things weigh. I weighed all our camping gear before we bought our RTT. It weighed just under 400#. And this was everything but the coolers. Multiple sleeping bags, extra cooking gear, lots of extra lights and batteries, two stoves, etc.

The weight capacities of the Gladiator are pretty good for the truck size.

But hey, here's an internet article, don't take my word for it. https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/202...-towing-specs/
      2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Towing and Payload:

Transmission Rear Axle Ratio Payload Max Towing
      D478 6-speed manual 3.73 1,600 lbs. 4,000 lbs.
      850RE 8-speed auto 3.73 1,105 lbs. 4,500 lbs.
      850RE 8-speed auto (Max Tow) 4.10 1,535 lbs. 7,650 lbs.
      2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Towing and Payload:

D478 6-speed manual 3.73 1,140 lbs. 4,000 lbs.
      850RE 8-speed auto 3.73 1,120 lbs. 6,000 lbs.
      2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Towing and Payload:

D478 6-speed manual 4.10 1,200 lbs. 4,500 lbs.
      850RE 8-speed auto 4.10 1,160 lbs. 7,000 lbs.

20. 04-15-2019 05:40 PM #694
      Towing capacities are based on a vehicle with only 1 occupant, a 150# driver. IIRC, Toyota actually calculates the Tundra's towing capacity different, which is why it's a little less than comparable Chevy/Ford/Dodge trucks. So the payload capacity has already taken into account the driver.

People also miscalculate how much things weigh. I weighed all our camping gear before we bought our RTT. It weighed just under 400#. And this was everything but the coolers. Multiple sleeping bags, extra cooking gear, lots of extra lights and batteries, two stoves, etc.
      From instances I have seen, there's a good chunk of people who don't have a freaking clue what their trailers weigh. I've seen huge boats being towed by F150's and the like. Probably double what the truck is rated at.

There needs to be a lot more education on this subject that's for sure.

21. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 07:01 PM #695

Towing capacities are based on a vehicle with only 1 occupant, a 150# driver. IIRC, Toyota actually calculates the Tundra's towing capacity different, which is why it's a little less than comparable Chevy/Ford/Dodge trucks. So the payload capacity has already taken into account the driver
      I'm not sure it works the way you're describing, payload has nothing to do with towing and does change simply due to there being a trailer.

Payload = GVWR- curb weight.

The weight capacities of the Gladiator are pretty good for the truck size.

I see a lot more ,4 door sedans with 4 fat people blowing through the GVWR than I do people properly figuring out they are way under weight... I'm not sure people estimate incorrectly in the way you think.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      04-15-2019 07:31 PM #696
      From instances I have seen, there's a good chunk of people who don't have a freaking clue what their trailers weigh. I've seen huge boats being towed by F150's and the like. Probably double what the truck is rated at.

Yes, but in the other hand, tow ratings are set for absolute worst case scenarios, like towing up a mountain. If you know you are towing short distances in flat ground, and are exceeding your tow rating, you are probably still just fine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

23. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-15-2019 07:46 PM #697

If only there was an electronic depository that you could search and get answers in seconds. Wouldn't the world be wonderful?

But it is deceiving, since the F150 has so many configurations, it can tow between 9,000# and 13,000#, iirc. And unless it's a toy hauler, most tag trailers top out around 7500#.

I'm not sure it works the way you're describing, payload has nothing to do with towing and does change simply due to there being a trailer.

Payload = GVWR- curb weight.

I see a lot more ,4 door sedans with 4 fat people blowing through the GVWR than I do people properly figuring out they are way under weight... I'm not sure people estimate incorrectly in the way you think.
      I was brief and was not clear; all the abbreviations look alike, I was talking about GCWR. When mfgs determine the payloads and towing, it all affects vehicle capacity. But they include the weight of the driver in their calculations, so you don't have to. So when people talk about payload and say "5 people", etc., they're adding an extra person because the driver is not to be included.

As far as the weight estimation comment, I worded it exactly as it should be.

I saw a ~28' trailer being towed by a Gen2 Highlander. Absolutely idiotic. The other day I saw a Tacoma towing a ~26'-27' trailer that, based on the trailer layout and features, probably weighed around 6,000#. You can always tow heavier. You can't stop heavier. That's really what the capacity ratings are all about.

And also on the subject of misjudging weights:
      We did not purchase this [Tacoma] with towing in mind, but I have my eye on a travel trailer that weights 4500lbs unloaded. by the time you add passengers, and gear, i figure I'll be around 5500lbs.
      And this guy admits he's at capacity with a boat (which ppl who haul for a living/life don't do):
      right at 6500 lbs fully loaded with fuel and gear. gas milage drops, but acceleration is not a problem. braking...now that's another issue...just leave lots of room in front of you and you won't have any problems.

24. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 08:31 PM #698

I was brief and was not clear; all the abbreviations look alike, I was talking about GCWR. When mfgs determine the payloads and towing, it all affects vehicle capacity. But they include the weight of the driver in their calculations, so you don't have to. So when people talk about payload and say "5 people", etc., they're adding an extra person because the driver is not to be included.
      This is still not correct.

Payload and GCVWR are still two entirely different things. You did specifically say payload not GVWR or GCVWR.

You DO need to factor in the driver weight rating when calculating the payload of the tow vehicle.

A 5klbs truck with a 1000lbs payload and a 5000lbs tow rating, just means you have a 11k GCVWR (its never that easy), they didn't throw in a driver of 150lbs and change any of those numbers, the payload is still 1000lbs.

As far as the weight estimation comment, I worded it exactly as it should be.
      By listing we even took double of a bunch of heavy items and only getting to 400lbs made it sound like you were saying that people under load frequently because they don't realize how much stuff you need to get to even 400lbs.

I could be reading it very wrong, but I think it reads different than you intended it to read.

04-16-2019 08:31 AM #699
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728