VWVortex.com - 2.0 TFSI misfire at EXACTLY 3500rpm
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0 TFSI misfire at EXACTLY 3500rpm

1. n00b
      11-20-2018 08:22 PM #1
      I've got a 2015 S3, which just developed a misfire at exactly 3500 rpm under load. Not 3400, not 3600, but 3500.

Some back story: For the past 3 years, my car has always suffered from random misfires while cold for the first 30 or so seconds. Dealership replaced plugs, coils, cats, dumped the tank, they couldn't figure it out. I decided to live with it, as I've read others had a similar issue, so fine.

Fast forward a few years: It begins this new misfire that is as dependable as the sun. There is no cel light, and the only code logged for the engine is a 'bus communication' code, which reports as happening only once in the past few weeks. I drove with my obdeleven logging all cylinder misfires during my 1hour / 30 mile drive to work this morning, which showed about 20 misfires per cylinder for the whole trip.

I can dependably cause this misfire at 3500, without fail, while under load at 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

I'm already on my 3rd set of plugs and coils. The first were replaced from Audi from suspicion, then I replaced them per-scheduled maintenance. I ordered a new set just this morning, again for maintenance, but I'm sure that's not the problem. Based on how reliable this misfire is, I'm leaning towards the computer. No mods at all, except for resonator delete from ECS, which I did over a year ago.

Thoughts?

btw, ~ 67,000 miles
      Last edited by plafond82; 11-20-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: adding mileage

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-04-2018 10:44 PM #2
      Judging by what iv seen on these motors in the GTI's id say you need a cylinder head. Idk why you allowed the dealer to get off the hook so easily

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      02-28-2019 12:46 PM #3
      I think the activation of the tumble flaps (in the intake manifold) occurs at 3500RPM. Either there is a vacuum leak in the actuator (or its vacuum lines or solenoid valve), or the flap is sticking, and not moving properly. A vacuum leak can cause a lean mixture condition (causing a spark miss), or , if the flap is in the wrong position, a lean condition can also occur because the airflow into the cylinder is not correct, due to the incorrect position of the flap.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-31-2019 09:17 AM #4
      3500 rpm is pretty close to the Exhaust VVL engagement point, and that tiny little misfire blip/stumble I have experienced on a few S3/7Rs. It's never resulted in anything serious being wrong or anything getting worse.

7. 01-24-2020 08:16 AM #5
      Hi,

i have absolutely the same problem with an audi tt 2.0 tfsi
      there are interruptions at 3400 rpm.

i wanted to ask you if you found an adequate solution to the problem.

thanks in advance.

greetings
      Mikhail Ivanov

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Gen 3 30 Edition GLI
      06-30-2020 11:05 AM #6
      This is crazy i ran into this post because my car does the same thing. I have a 2014 GLI Gen 3 and mine cuts out about 3,600 RPM. It has done it ever since my turbo was replaced and i have always thought it was the tune put back on the car from the shop that did the turbo install. It feels like the boost cuts out when close to those RPM numbers and im guessing mine are different because my gears are very long. Hoping it is the boost cutting out but after reading this im going to start running some diagnostics. Ill keep you informed if it is related to this problem.
      the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it