Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 F1 Countdown Thread

1. 11-26-2018 08:03 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by whoisglipglop View Post
      I hope so.

But I think the RBR Honda will be a real force to be reckoned with.
      You know, there's a part of me that's beginning to wonder if Red Bull isn't more to blame for a bigger part of their DNFs with Renault, just as McLaren was as much to blame in there relationship with Honda.

If true, 2019 with a totally new car built around the Honda PU smells like disaster to me. Add to it a Verstappen unchained (did you hear Verstappen on the radio to his team in Abu Dhabi? They had to put him in his place!) and freaking Gasly and I fear they will be an inconsistent mess.

And I hope I'm wrong. We need Red Bull/Honda and the Renault Works team too in the mix.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      11-26-2018 08:28 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Either way, I hope all those teams and equipment isn't seen as some sort of caravan.

I agree that Lewis is supppper comfortable and confident right now. But we will have to see if Valteri is willing to play second fiddle again next year. I can only imagine that he is getting hungrier and hungrier.

Hope the aero changes start to help wheel to wheel racing next year.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      11-26-2018 09:55 PM #28
      Very excited to see the new intra-team battles. So many good ones:

Sainz vs Norris - We'll see how good Sainz is, and whether he can beat Norris consistently. I have high hopes for Norris though. I call it even.

Hulk vs Danny Rek - Hulk finally gets a race winning and proven teammate for us to compare him too. I think Ricciardo wins.

Vettel vs Leclerc - Will he rattle Vettel, especially over a single lap in qualifying? I think over the long haul Vettel wins, but think Leclerc will steal a few victories or higher point finishes early on in the season and hurt Vettel's championship bid.

Verstappen vs Gasly - Make or break for Gassly. I think he'll keep Verstappen on edge, but doubt he'll beat him over the season (barring mechanical failures).

Kubica vs Russel - Very happy to see Kubica back. I hope he does well. I think Russel edges him out just barely.

Perez vs Stroll - We'll see Stroll up there in terms of qualifying, or one lap speed. But over a race distance, and tire management, I think Perez will beat him.

Kvyat and Albon - If Kvyat can stay calm, I think he'll be very impressive.

5. 11-27-2018 08:54 PM #29
      A step ahead, a bit sharper, no stone unturned and always progressing. Mercedes AMG Petronas:

The rule means that teams can not add sensors to their cars to monitor aerodynamics and therefore run other tests.

However, Mercedes have found a way aroung this as they raced Hamiltons car with extra sensors on it during yesterdays race. This means that Mercedes will be able to use these sensors during the testing session to log extra data.

Merecedes are already in full preparation for next season by targeting the rule changes and also getting the most out of the testing sessions.

The rule means that teams can not add sensors to their cars to monitor aerodynamics and therefore run other tests.

However, Mercedes have found a way aroung this as they raced Hamiltons car with extra sensors on it during yesterdays race. This means that Mercedes will be able to use these sensors during the testing session to log extra data.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...d_in_testing_/

6. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-28-2018 03:15 AM #30
      I've got my Red Bull Honda swag in the works (since you can technically reporpoise some MX1 and MotoGP stuff)
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

7. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-29-2018 08:22 AM #31
      http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/25...8-unacceptable

^^That right there is IMHO the biggest issue in F1 today, has been for many years and something/anything - even if just 1, maybe 2 other teams step up would make for a world of positive difference.

"Formula One's managing director of motorsport, Ross Brawn, has labelled the gap between the sport's top three teams and the rest of the field "unacceptable". Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have won every race in Formula One since the start of the 2014 season and the performance gap between those three and the rest of the field is rarely under a second per lap. Force India's Sergio Perez is the only driver outside of those three teams to finish on the podium this year, at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in April, and Renault, which finished fourth in the constructors' championship, was 297 points shy of Red Bull in third place by the end of the year."

Ok, I know, it's been a similar story for 2 decades but has it ever been as bad as it is right now?

8. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 08:26 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      the biggest issue in F1 today, has been for many years
      I'd love to see how the regulations will rein in the rules while keeping it from being a spec series like A1GP.

Vehicles
      18 VW GOLF R MT
      11-29-2018 09:40 AM #33
      We start racing in two weeks, right?

Here's to all the fun through the off season.

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 09:44 AM #34
      Let the speculation begin!

Also, let's use the word "qualy" as much as possible.

11. 11-29-2018 11:34 AM #35

^^That right there is IMHO the biggest issue in F1 today, has been for many years and something/anything - even if just 1, maybe 2 other teams step up would make for a world of positive difference.

"Formula One's managing director of motorsport, Ross Brawn, has labelled the gap between the sport's top three teams and the rest of the field "unacceptable". Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have won every race in Formula One since the start of the 2014 season and the performance gap between those three and the rest of the field is rarely under a second per lap. Force India's Sergio Perez is the only driver outside of those three teams to finish on the podium this year, at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in April, and Renault, which finished fourth in the constructors' championship, was 297 points shy of Red Bull in third place by the end of the year."

Ok, I know, it's been a similar story for 2 decades but has it ever been as bad as it is right now?
      Ferrari's Sergio Marchionne (RIP) said of Mercedes, "the guys are kicking my balls!", he so passionately wanted to win. And he was working his way back before he left us. Reportedly Ferrari has a higher spending cap and nothing is spared chasing a tenth. And as you say, that is the history of F1 and the beauty of it. The big and powerful sparing no exoense to make the fastest cars possible within the formula.

There's always Formula E for those seeking parity/similarity and even Indy car wise, but F1 is the expensive and ridiculous pinnacle of motorsport. Now all that said there has to be a reigning in on some fronts to where Honda and Renault can compete, but again it wouldn't be Formula 1 if the 2018 teams of Williams and McLaren won races, they suck and deserve their spots. Money is a factor but given funds they would still suck, both are losing key people again this year. Renault and Red Bull on the other hand have an argument but hey, if either were in Mercedes or Ferrari's spot they wouldn't be hollering for new rules either, let's be real. And that's Formula 1, best resources and funding but most importantly the best people. You don't perform at Mercedes' level this long without a strong team at the factory. It's the job of Ferrari and other teams to be it.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      11-29-2018 11:37 AM #36

And if I remember correctly the only reason Perez was on the podium was that was when Max thought it would be a good idea to cut off Daniel and take both RBR cars out.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 11-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-29-2018 11:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      It's the job of Ferrari and other teams to be it.
      That's not the point Brawn was making, nor my gripe with the state of F1.

Only 6 drivers have a snowballs chance of sniffing a podium finish, that's the problem.

Edit: I agree the bottom-feeder teams don't deserve to win. But something has to be done to allow the Renaults, Force Indias, Haas, McLarens, Saubers etc the ability to bridge the gap to at the very least, be able to compete to finish on the same lap as the top 3. Re-doing the whole distribution of the constructor points might help.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 11-29-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      11-29-2018 12:02 PM #38
      Random thought. I'm pretty sure Mick Schumacher will get the sponsorship money to secure a ride in F1 someday. I just hope he's more Nico/Damon than Nelson.

15. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 12:05 PM #39
      I just hope he's more Nico/Damon than Nelson.
      Nelson won in NASCAR. Leave him alone.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      11-29-2018 12:09 PM #40
      Random thought. I'm pretty sure Mick Schumacher will get the sponsorship money to secure a ride in F1 someday. I just hope he's more Nico/Damon than Nelson.
      Nico/damen/max?

or would it be Max is already better than Jos
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

17. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 12:13 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Nico/damen/max?

Nico, Damon, Jack, Geoff, Bruno, Nelson _________

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      11-29-2018 01:19 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Nico/damen/max?

I was thinking WDCs, but we can add Max to the list. He's pretty good. Should have included Villeneuve, too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Jack, Geoff, Bruno, Nelson _________
      We have include Michael Andretti to the list of bad examples, too.

19. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 01:25 PM #43
      Should have included Villeneuve, too.

We have include Michael Andretti to the list of bad examples, too.
      Villeneuve is my "Jack". How could I forget Michael Andretti. I was there when the **** wrecked on the first turn in Montreal for something so stupid.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-29-2018 01:44 PM #44
      Random thought. I'm pretty sure Mick Schumacher will get the sponsorship money to secure a ride in F1 someday.
      I think he'll easily get sponsorship money or a big team backing...but if he needed the cash, he could always ask mom.

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      11-29-2018 01:48 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I've got my Red Bull Honda swag in the works (since you can technically reporpoise some MX1 and MotoGP stuff)

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      11-29-2018 02:10 PM #46
      Looking forward to 2019 season, will be interesting for sure.

Lewis is growing on me, he seems to be getting less douchey with age
      Last edited by Shmi; 11-29-2018 at 02:13 PM.

23. 11-29-2018 03:42 PM #47
      That's not the point Brawn was making, nor my gripe with the state of F1.

Only 6 drivers have a snowballs chance of sniffing a podium finish, that's the problem.

Edit: I agree the bottom-feeder teams don't deserve to win. But something has to be done to allow the Renaults, Force Indias, Haas, McLarens, Saubers etc the ability to bridge the gap to at the very least, be able to compete to finish on the same lap as the top 3. Re-doing the whole distribution of the constructor points might help.
      You're right and I agree with the sentiment. Ferrari and Mercedes have spent the money and hired the best talent too, so like a football team we have to give them credit for assembling winning teams, it's the groups of people that make them champions. Red Bull and Renault have a chance as they have good personnel. And again, if Red Bull/Honda or Renault make magic and leave the field behind and win championships in a row it will be how Formula 1 works, they will have gotten the most out of the formula and it's Ferrari's and Mercedes' job to wrest the championship back. Mid field will always be mid field due to the amount of good people and money needed to win at this level.
      Last edited by Burnette; 11-29-2018 at 03:44 PM.

24. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      11-29-2018 03:47 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Like any fine whine.

25. 11-29-2018 03:49 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Looking forward to 2019 season, will be interesting for sure.

Bandwagon fan, Ha!

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      11-29-2018 03:52 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Bandwagon fan, Ha!
      #blessed #bandwagoned

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast