VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Has anyone modded (closed up) the stock airbox?

11K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jackalopephoto 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone modded (closed up) the stock airbox inlet?

HI Folks, The consensus seems to be that the stock box flows very well however the inlet design seems to take quite a bit of air from the engine bay. Has anyone ever closed up the top and backside of the inlet where the only air path is from the grille? Would "closing" it up create a restriction? or does the benefit of outside air only outweigh any restrictions created if at all thanks

#2 ·
HI Folks, The consensus seems to be that the stock box flows very well however the inlet design seems to take quite a bit of air from the engine bay. Has anyone ever closed up the top and backside of the inlet where the only air path is from the grille? Would "closing" it up create a restriction? or does the benefit of outside air only outweigh any restrictions created if at all thanks
I've been thinking of closing up the backside of inlet. I don't see how having it open is beneficial unless for noise mitigation.

#5 ·
Any chance you have the link for the ECS plate? I searched and couldn't find.

The real restriction in the intake is after those openings. That channel that runs across the top of the radiator is quite small. The opening from the channel to the airbox itself is quite large, however. I created a new hole in the channel on the driver's side to match the one on the passenger side and then blocked off the the hole on the back of the channel (facing the engine). Does it make any difference? Minor, if any, but I feel better.

Lots of info, opinions and pics here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33599
The Jetta is open already, seems like Golf isn't.

#4 ·
The real restriction in the intake is after those openings. That channel that runs across the top of the radiator is quite small. The opening from the channel to the airbox itself is quite large, however. I created a new hole in the channel on the driver's side to match the one on the passenger side and then blocked off the the hole on the back of the channel (facing the engine). Does it make any difference? Minor, if any, but I feel better.

Lots of info, opinions and pics here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33599

#9 ·
Confused by your post/question - isn't the back of the p. side portion of the inlet the thing you want to block off? That's what the plate ECS sells does.

#8 ·
The only time that the p. side opening would impact air going into the intake would be when you are stopped...otherwise it's going to be all "fresh" air from outside as the car moves. I've considered the Euro block-off plate as well but not sure it will do a thing but keep fresh air from cooling your engine bay. I *believe* that that plate is probably something that was made to be taken in/out depending on the season but who knows, if not, why not just produce a stock air box/inlet assembly that had it closed off?

#10 ·
The front side has tiny rectangular openings, it isn't just fully open. The back is directly open to the engine bay. It would take a decent speed to actually push air in through the front, so I'm pretty sure for the most part you're just getting engine bay air... At highway speed it might make a difference but at that point power isn't usually an issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.