VWVortex.com - All-New 2020 Lincoln Aviator Takes Flight with Advanced Technologies, Grand Touring Performance Option
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All-New 2020 Lincoln Aviator Takes Flight with Advanced Technologies, Grand Touring Performance Option

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      11-28-2018 11:21 AM #26
      Love it. The back lights give a bit of a Saab vibe.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      11-28-2018 12:02 PM #27
      That is a really sharp looking station wagon. The interior looks fantastic and sets itself apart from it's competitors.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-28-2018 12:05 PM #28
      Love it. Just as good as the concept.

If the new Explorer is even half this good, I'm probably buying one.

11-28-2018 12:10 PM #29
      The wife's Elantra lease is up in April of 2020. This looks like an excellent replacement.

I don't know what to think of the whole Phone as a Key thing. I guess I'd have to try it out and see if its reliable, and if it has a decent backup system.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG (for sale) | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      11-28-2018 12:15 PM #30

Lincoln finally figured out a true Luxury interior. Hopefully Cadillac will, someday...

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      11-28-2018 12:46 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      To be fair, everything in this class has abysmal depreciation. And most people lease anyway. This thing's success will depend on how competitive the leases are. All of a sudden the Escalade looks old and the JGC looks cheap. And unless you are a total brand snob I can't think of what an X5, GLE or Q7 offer
      Quality? Practicality?

I've seen this too much to fall for it again. I've seen how "well" the plastics on a 2018 Navigator have held up (hint, they haven't) as a press vehicle, on something they're asking over $100,000 for. They're both incredible looking, I'll say that much, the Aviator is no exception. But until I see that it can go 10 years without a symphony of rattles and squeeks underneath the hood I won't be impressed.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      11-28-2018 01:23 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      The wife's Elantra lease is up in April of 2020. This looks like an excellent replacement.
      LOLWUT? That's quite the jump!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

11-28-2018 01:29 PM #33
      To be fair, everything in this class has abysmal depreciation. And most people lease anyway. This thing's success will depend on how competitive the leases are. All of a sudden the Escalade looks old and the JGC looks cheap. And unless you are a total brand snob I can't think of what an X5, GLE or Q7 offer
      I think the X5/X7 and GLE/GLS are going to be just fine based on what I've seen so far. Love the Aviator regardless though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      11-28-2018 01:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      LOLWUT? That's quite the jump!
      This is crispyfritter lol. He traded an Aston Martin for a toy trailer haha

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      11-28-2018 01:39 PM #35
      Very nice indeed. Hope some of this interior design translates down to Ford as well.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      11-28-2018 01:41 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post

Lincoln finally figured out a true Luxury interior. Hopefully Cadillac will, someday...
      I've been a GM fan all my life, and unfortunately I'm starting to doubt that they know how to turn Cadillac around. Their "renaissance" has been in progress for about 20 years now, and it seems like they change course every couple of years.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      11-28-2018 01:52 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Quality? Practicality?

I've seen this too much to fall for it again. I've seen how "well" the plastics on a 2018 Navigator have held up (hint, they haven't) as a press vehicle, on something they're asking over $100,000 for. They're both incredible looking, I'll say that much, the Aviator is no exception. But until I see that it can go 10 years without a symphony of rattles and squeeks underneath the hood I won't be impressed.
      I have a 7 year old Lincoln... it's not the most opulent bespoke hand crafted thing but it's holding up fine. I'd much rather a little scuffed plastic than the general horror of out-of-warranty German luxury car ownership.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      11-28-2018 01:56 PM #38
      Lincoln is on a roll with there SUVs. Up until now, I always preferred the Escalade over the Navigator but the new Navigator is a homerun! The previous Lincoln Aviator felt like a loaded Explorer (which it was) but this one looks like so much more.

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      11-28-2018 01:56 PM #39
      I have a 7 year old Lincoln... it's not the most opulent bespoke hand crafted thing but it's holding up fine. I'd much rather a little scuffed plastic than the general horror of out-of-warranty German luxury car ownership.
      Will this be different though? At best, it's still a TTV6, and then there's the hybrid powertrain. It has the 10spd AT (shared with GM), and then a ton of electrical-based driver assistance systems, with all types of sensors and processors. So it's comparable to anything German in terms of complexity, or at the very least very close. The only benefit I can see is potentially higher sales volumes, so a larger variety of spares, which would reduce part prices. But labor would be similar I'd imagine.

16. 11-28-2018 03:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      Lincoln knocked this so far out of the park. I absolutely love this thing. And, unlike the Continental, nothing lost between concept and production.
      They've learned the hard way with former "2016 MKS" not to overpromise with a concept and now no longer preview upcoming models with overdone concepts. Also, it's not hard to do this when working with an ideal architecture versus a compromised FWD iteration.

To make the Continental look right or concept identical, would've entailed a roughly 18 month delay in launch to make further changes. Like this Aviator, the serial D544 Continental was frozen and beyond correction in 2015-16. Thankfully Lincoln did not overdo the Navigator and Aviator concepts, like Subaru does with theirs too often.

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      What a beautiful SUV!
      I’m glad it hasn’t been watered down from the concept.
      Well, why would it be? There's no time for that. I get the impression maybe you think they developed the "concept" first, but that isn't the case. The final designs for both the U611 and U625 were known roughly 2 years ago. CD6 is debuted by them both. The Aviator concept project was initiated last year, after production exteriors were frozen. They cannot make further changes once that happened just because of public feedback. If you have the final production design as a guide for your "concept", it is up to them from there to do it justice, and not redo/enhance the design too much from the real deal.

Most "concepts" nowadays are developed like this anyway, as seen with the BMW 8-Series. Production cars cloaked in fancier clothes for the show circuit. The '17 Continental suffered, because they added too much glitz and changed the stance quite a bit for the concept. By the time the Continental Concept was getting its final touches in early 2015, the design freeze for the production D544 was already many months past and Lincoln knew it was a tease, with no time to revise the D544 with better proportions. Otherwise it would've become the 2018.5 Continental and sell a little better.

I don't think there's been any Lincoln production car this century. that was based on a concept strictly and then developed into production car from there. Things like the Nissan GT-R R35, Lexus LF-LC_LC 500, Toyota FT-1_A90 Supra, and 2006 Camaro Concept_2010 Camaro are unique in execution, which as a result took years to release after an initial showing. Eight months is not enough time to do that.

Even the new Mazda3 design was designed 2 years ago, months befoe the Kai Concept debuted in late 2017. It is just time-consuming and expensive for modern-day OEMs to base their styling programmes on a showcar and deliver quickly. Thus the Aviator Concept was just an early look at the U611 with added touches, not the inspiration that could be watered-down or "kept true".

Unfortunately automotive media forever get this reality wrong and lazily just continue to mislead the masses.
      Last edited by Automaker1; 11-28-2018 at 03:21 PM.

11-28-2018 03:18 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Lincoln is on a roll with there SUVs. Up until now, I always preferred the Escalade over the Navigator but the new Navigator is a homerun! The previous Lincoln Aviator felt like a loaded Explorer (which it was) but this one looks like so much more.
      Given Cadillac's troubles right now, Lincoln just pulled off what I didn't think was possible:

Leapfrogging Cadillac into relevance again. And they did it with a truly right product, and not by trading on their heritage.

The interior is downright inspired. The powertrains are compelling. The styling is stop-you-dead gorgeous. They are using ACTUAL names and not the stale alpha numerics. This is an American product, not a copy of a European one....or a rehash of a 1960s one.

I honestly can't think of much to complain about. If this is what we can expect from Lincoln moving forward, the brand's future never looked better.

BRAVO, Lincoln.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      11-28-2018 03:26 PM #42
      Nice.

It looks like a wagon but it is a SUV. Are wagons officially dead yet?
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      11-28-2018 03:28 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Given Cadillac's troubles right now, Lincoln just pulled off what I didn't think was possible:

Leapfrogging Cadillac into relevance again. And they did it with a truly right product, and not by trading on their heritage.

The interior is downright inspired. The powertrains are compelling. The styling is stop-you-dead gorgeous. They are using ACTUAL names and not the stale alpha numerics. This is an American product, not a copy of a European one....or a rehash of a 1960s one.

I honestly can't think of much to complain about. If this is what we can expect from Lincoln moving forward, the brand's future never looked better.

BRAVO, Lincoln.
      Agreed. Let's just hope it's successful. And maybe the next generation of smaller Lincoln crossovers will be designed in a similar vein.

Showed this to my buddy who's picking up a 2018 Q7 this weekend and he was impressed.

Vehicles
      2002 Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      11-28-2018 03:37 PM #44
      Quality? Practicality?

Genuinely curious if you have proof of this. Press cars don't live the easiest life. We almost bought a 2018 Navigator and will probably be buying one of these. When I say probably, I mean like 95%.

We have a 7 year old Fusion PHEV with 100k+ that has never stranded us, broken down, required any abnormal service and actually feels very good and solid for a 100k car..
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      11-28-2018 03:40 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post

BRAVO, Lincoln.
      Five years ago, I would have said Lincoln was more on par with Buick than Cadillac. It is amazing how quickly things change.

I agree with the naming conventions. Johan de Nysschen really messed up Cadillac.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2013 4Runner, 2013 JX-35, 2017 QX-50
      11-28-2018 03:46 PM #46
      Looks great, but though I'm entering my 7th year of retirement I'm too young for a Lincoln. Looking forward to seeing the Explorer version; hopefully it will have a more intelligent gear shirt arrangement.

23. 11-28-2018 03:50 PM #47
      I would love to see a supercharged V8 monster this time around screw a TT v6

id even take an NA v8

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      11-28-2018 03:51 PM #48
      I was impressed with the Aviator concept, and I'm even more impressed that the production version is nearly identical. Good job, Lincoln

Hopefully Lincoln continues in this direction, with the necessary R&D funding, and doesn't somehow get negatively affected by Ford's woes lately.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      11-28-2018 04:03 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Five years ago, I would have said Lincoln was more on par with Buick than Cadillac. It is amazing how quickly things change.

I agree with the naming conventions. Johan de Nysschen really messed up Cadillac.
      We were still getting "why is Lincoln still around, just kill it already" comments on this site, like a month ago. I'd argue that Lincoln is on a fast track to surpass Cadillac in terms of brand image with the new Navigator and now this. Cadillac is too busy trying to compete with BMW from 2008.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      11-28-2018 04:14 PM #50
      Quality? Practicality?

My mom just picked up a loaded Q7 a few months ago, so I'm actually pretty eager to compare it to the Aviator. From what I'm reading, the Aviator may outstrip the Q7's price in its higher trims - IIRC the Audi tops out around $75K, and it's looking like the Lincoln could push well above $80K in hybrid guise.

I feel like the Escalade was a big jump forward for Cadillac interiors when the current gen debuted - I remember a Motor Trend comparo against the Range Rover, among others, where they singled out the Escalade's interior quality as being the best. Even with small victories like that, though, interior quality seems to be a consistent criticism across Cadillac's lineup, so I hope Lincoln has determined that they're not going to let that be a weak point anymore. The Aviator's interior looks exceptional in these photos, and I love that Lincoln has zeroed in on a unique design language that can't be mistaken for any other automaker.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast