Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HBird's 2018 GTI Build Journal

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-03-2018 09:17 AM #1
      Hi everybody,

Figured I'd make a build journal for my GTI I picked up 2 weeks ago. It took a while to find the spec I wanted (Mk7.5, plaid seats, DSG, SE trim), but luckily this one popped up nearby. I'm pretty familiar with the MQB platform, albeit on the AWD side, so I have a good idea as far as how I want it to turn out. It'll be a pretty mild build for the most part with some OEM+ goodies and go fast parts. The main goal is to have a fun and streetable DD that has OEM looks. Looking forward to knowing everyone here, and thanks for looking!

Model
      2018 GTI SE
      Tornado Red
      Titan Black w/ Clark Plaid Cloth
      DSG
      Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink, Self Dimming w/ Compass
      Monster Mats
      First Aid Kit

Engine
      034 Motorsport X34 Open Top Intake
      034 Motorsport Turbo Muffler Delete
      034 Motorsport Turbo Inlet Elbow
      034 Motorsport Downpipe
      APR Intercooler
      APR Silicone Boost Hoses
      OEM R8 Coolant Tank Cap

Exterior
      CQuartz UK 3.0 Ceramic Coating
      OEM VW Base Carrier Bars
      OEM VW Gloss Black Mirror Caps
      OEM VW GTI License Plate Frame
      OEM Mk7.5 Euro LED Taillights
      DAP Euro Taillight Harness

Interior
      S2T Performance Shift Paddles
      OEM Audi 12V Power Outlet Cover
      OEM Euro Mk7 GTI Headrests
      OEM Warning Triangle

Some pics from the week I got it

Last edited by HBird; 09-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-06-2018 05:23 PM #2
      Nice ride!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 12-06-2018 06:02 PM #3
      hey there and welcome, yeah was hard to find SE with Titan and DSG for me too, thank goodness my dealership was able to trade for mine :-).

Did you do the homelink, dimming mirror mod yourself? Was it complicated? This is on my short list things to do as well.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 12-06-2018 06:15 PM #4
      Awesome shots! Congrats!

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-07-2018 08:25 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by v-1 View Post
      Nice ride!!!

Thank you! I have about 800 miles on it now and I'm loving it! More so than my R and S3 I had before

Quote Originally Posted by christophe15 View Post
      hey there and welcome, yeah was hard to find SE with Titan and DSG for me too, thank goodness my dealership was able to trade for mine :-).

Did you do the homelink, dimming mirror mod yourself? Was it complicated? This is on my short list things to do as well.
      It's the best combo IMO! As far as the dimming mirror is concerned, it was an option that was already installed (listed on the Monroney). That was another factor I was looking for when I was looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by milesbeyond View Post
      Awesome shots! Congrats!
      Thank you! I'll probably be inundating this thread with pics and trying new techniques out

8. 12-07-2018 03:21 PM #6
      I searched for a Great Falls Green, Titan Plain, with a Manual, my dealer said it would be more likely to find Big Foot hunting for King Solomon's lost gold mine. After 6 weeks he found it and traded the dealer one of their inventory and it has been mine for 8 months. I love my Tartan Plaid seats, now that is colder than a polar bears balls, they are not so cold to freeze your rear end in the morning, and the heated seats go from 0 to burn your buns in a flash.

Red was my fallback color, but so happy I waited for Gracie, my green speed machine. But I have to admit the red and plaid is classic and looks awesome.

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-09-2018 10:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by colliece0809 View Post
      I searched for a Great Falls Green, Titan Plain, with a Manual, my dealer said it would be more likely to find Big Foot hunting for King Solomon's lost gold mine. After 6 weeks he found it and traded the dealer one of their inventory and it has been mine for 8 months. I love my Tartan Plaid seats, now that is colder than a polar bears balls, they are not so cold to freeze your rear end in the morning, and the heated seats go from 0 to burn your buns in a flash.

Red was my fallback color, but so happy I waited for Gracie, my green speed machine. But I have to admit the red and plaid is classic and looks awesome.
      I'd believe it! I wanted White Silver originally, and searching Autotrader and Cars.com was a nightmare because White Silver showed up under "White". I had to look at each individual car because of the dealer potato pics and then cloth/leather. Luckily 2 months into my search there was one nearby (closest alternate was 500 miles away), however they didn't want to sell it and my red one showed up the same time as well. And I definitely agree on the seats! Cloth seats are so much better than the leather I've had in the past. Hopefully the plaid seats help with the Texas heat in the summer

I guess a little update. Not sure if these are classified as "mods", but it's something for now. . Got a GTI license plate frame and swapped over an A3/S3 12V outlet dummy cover. Also, more pics.

10. 12-10-2018 09:41 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by christophe15 View Post

I did the homelink mirror myself. Wasn't too bad. DAP has a video on YouTube that shows what's involved. Good luck!

Vehicles
      18 GTI, 92 Corrado SLC
      12-12-2018 12:26 PM #9
      Wow those pics came out great. Never thought a stock GTI could look so nice.

Looking forward to the build!
      Previous cars: 17 Jetta 05 Passat Wagon 90 Corrado 97 GTI 98 Jetta

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      12-12-2018 05:30 PM #10
      Congrats on the new ride! Great pics - will follow along. Interesting to hear you like it more than a Golf R and S3.

2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-13-2018 03:35 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by AZMK3GTI View Post
      Wow those pics came out great. Never thought a stock GTI could look so nice.

Looking forward to the build!
      Thank you! Probably some of the few pics I'll grab of it while stock

Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post
      Congrats on the new ride! Great pics - will follow along. Interesting to hear you like it more than a Golf R and S3.

Thank you! It mostly comes down to the weight aspect of it. Th GTI is just such a more nimble and tossable car than the R & S3 were. I've been really impressed with the diff the GTIs come with and have no complaints when driving on highway clovers and what not. Obviously straight line speed (from a dig) is where the GTI lacks and can't compete. When I drove today and floored it at a light when coming back from lunch (after it rained this morning) seeing the traction light go crazy was a very weird experience lol

I've already hit 1K miles so far and I've noticed a few cost cutting things that are kind of bewildering (no lights at night on upper console lights, all plastic glove box with no felt, no rear door locks, etc.). Not sure if I want to start going after them or not and retrofitting stuff yet though. Hopefully after the holidays/new year the mods will roll in.

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-27-2018 08:01 PM #12
      Santa came a little late, but it looks like he stopped by 034 on his way here.

I picked up a 034 P34 Intake along with their Turbo Muffler Delete. I opted for the P34 vs the X34 mostly because they do the same thing and paying extra $$$ for carbon under the hood was pointless this time around. Hopefully they'll get installed this week or the next. Also placed an order for a set of OEM Euro GTI Rear Headerests as well.

15. 12-27-2018 10:00 PM #13
      What P/N's were the euro headrests? Are they just low profile left and right's like the lower middle? Looking good so far!

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      12-28-2018 08:53 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      What P/N's were the euro headrests? Are they just low profile left and right's like the lower middle? Looking good so far!
      The P/N should be 5G0885901ACBDL. And yes, the difference is that they're low profile similar to the middle, but still different. I actually used a set of Euro Mk7 GTI headrests on my S3 (leather w/ red stitching) since the the S3 ones were twice as much. Luckily I was able to find these (cloth ones) from a salvage parts website based out of the Netherlands and got them for cheap.

17. 01-10-2019 03:10 PM #15
      #NoBBSNoCare

As you know that can be fixed.

Vehicles
      18 Passat GT // 19 Tiguan SEL Premium // 19 Jetta SEL Premium
      01-10-2019 04:00 PM #16
      Glad I've found this thread, I saw you post in a different section and I was drooling over the Tornado Red pics... I really want to trade my GLI now for a Tornado Red GTI!
      2018 VW Passat GT | Reflex Silver | DSG | OEM+ | Delivered March 2019
      Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft In North America

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2018 VW GTI
      01-13-2019 09:59 AM #17
      Following your build; I just picked up a 2018 GTI S on December 31st.
      Curious if you have any fitment issues with the 034 intake. When I go to URO tuning's website, it says the 034 will NOT fit the Mk 7.5 (Facelift). Maybe you'll prove them wrong?

Vehicles
      18 GTI, 92 Corrado SLC
      01-14-2019 08:28 AM #18
      Wait do you have plaid front seats, and leather back seats?
      Previous cars: 17 Jetta 05 Passat Wagon 90 Corrado 97 GTI 98 Jetta

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      01-14-2019 09:02 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimminez View Post
      #NoBBSNoCare

As you know that can be fixed.
      Shouldn't you be sticking to Audizine

Quote Originally Posted by sebasEuRo View Post
      Glad I've found this thread, I saw you post in a different section and I was drooling over the Tornado Red pics... I really want to trade my GLI now for a Tornado Red GTI!
      haha thank you! It's never too late to make the switch

Quote Originally Posted by GriffMcCord View Post
      Following your build; I just picked up a 2018 GTI S on December 31st.
      Curious if you have any fitment issues with the 034 intake. When I go to URO tuning's website, it says the 034 will NOT fit the Mk 7.5 (Facelift). Maybe you'll prove them wrong?

Congrats on your GTI!

There shouldn't be any differences whatsoever in intake fitment's between Mk7 and Mk7.5 as they're identical under the hood. The only things that changed are the exterior bits, the radios, and some interior cost cutting measures. I've been lazy though and haven't installed it yet .

Quote Originally Posted by AZMK3GTI View Post
      Wait do you have plaid front seats, and leather back seats?
      Nope, I have all plaid. On my S3 I had before this I used Euro Mk7 GTI leather headrests for the OEM+ look because the S3 ones were $400+/ea vs the GTI ones which were cheaper.
      Last edited by HBird; 01-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.

22. 01-14-2019 09:06 AM #20
      I’m all over the interweb.

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      01-14-2019 09:27 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimminez View Post
      I’m all over the interweb.
      Need to up that post count. 12 years on Vortex and not even 50 posts, amateur hour

24. 01-16-2019 10:53 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by HBird View Post
      Need to up that post count. 12 years on Vortex and not even 50 posts, amateur hour
      You must love me then haha

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      01-17-2019 09:04 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
      You must love me then haha

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      01-21-2019 11:50 AM #24
      Guess I might as well post a minor update.

I was supposed to get my headrests last week, but they needed a signature. Signed the form and they never attempted to redeliver, so I'll be picking them up tomorrow from the post office

Also 034 announced their new X34 Open-Top intake, so I'm exchanging my P34 for their new X34 Open Top version. Excited to see how loud it is, as I've never had an open intake before.

I'm also putting together a list of part numbers for a folding mirror conversion which I'll source from e-acca. Based on Vortex/Google this is what I've come up with so far. If anybody reading has gone this route, then I'm all ears.

Left Folding Mirror Assembly w/ BSM
      5G1857508DE9B9

Right Folding Mirror Assembly w/ BSM
      5G1857507CE9B9

Folding Mirror Switch (Driver Side)
      5G0959565AGICX

Driver Euro Blind Spot (Aspherical) Mirror w/ BSM
      5G0857521M

Passenger Euro Blind Spot (Aspherical) Mirror w/ BSM
      5G0857522M

Door Clips
      7L6868243

Gloss Black Mirror Caps
      5G0072530A

Also, was down in Houston this past weekend and my friend grabbed this roller. It looks so boring in stock trim

Vehicles
      2018 GTI
      01-23-2019 06:00 PM #25
      Just made it 100% easier to be blinded by brodozers from behind, but they look so much better

OEM Euro Mk7 GTI Rear Headrest (Cloth)
      P/N: 5G0885901ACBDL

Last edited by HBird; 01-23-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast