VWVortex.com - Dragging brakes mystery, have replaced every part of brake system now & brakes keep randomly locking down on me
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dragging brakes mystery, have replaced every part of brake system now & brakes keep randomly locking down on me

1. 12-07-2018 01:23 PM #1
      I have a 2003 Jetta TDI. My rear brakes and sometimes one of the front brakes randomly lock up. I'm driving on the highway and suddenly feel either the car slowing down even when I accelerate, or the wabble that comes from hot rotors. The brake pedal feels hard at this point and the brakes are hyper responsive. I'm usually able to release the hardness in the pedal by pushing down and quickly releasing it. It happens even when I disable the ABS fuse AND I have now replaced every single part of the braking system (booster, check valve, master cylinder, calipers and hoses). Everybody so far is shaking their heads and has never seen something like this. What else is there that can influence the brake calipers so that they randomly lock down on me?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-22-2018 06:21 PM #2
      Following, I'm having a similar issue but luckily it's only the rear left of my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi. Replaced my caliper thinking it was a seized piston only to have the brake lock up again 😞

4. 12-30-2018 10:25 AM #3
      Any updates??

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      03-30-2019 09:48 AM #4
      You could upgrade to the steel braided brake lines, not a for sure fix. But I have seen where the rubber on the inside of the brake line peels or folds down and actually prevents fluid to pass. So it may be that the fluid is sent to the caliper only to not be able to leave when you release the brakes because that flap folds down.

7. 05-28-2019 10:35 PM #5
      My 07 Jetta is having the same problem! I’m outta my mind frustrated because seems like nobody can fix this issue...even vw service dealership! They just bled the system and thought it would work!! My mechanics has done so much to try and figure this out but he couldn’t!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR?!? Someone please help me here!

8. 05-29-2019 10:28 AM #6
      Brakes are a very easy/reliable system. It can be frustrating but how about listing what you have done and the exact symptoms you have. The better you explain it, the better the answer will be.