VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

CAR INSURANCE - Quebec

6K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  alphazero 
#1 ·
TDLR
Can I be fully and legally covered as a primary driver if my wife takes an auto insurance policy under her own name?
- I have too many claims in recent years to have full coverage (non of these my fault)
- my wife has not had a policy in her name for 16ish years (but has always been a second on my own policies)

The long story:

Since moving to Montreal 15 years ago, I have had many accidents - easily 20+. I haven't sat down to count them because that's depressing.
In any case, I have always had full coverage and figured because I was never at fault I would always be ok. Unfortunately, that is not true.

Almost 2 years ago, my insurance notified me of non-renewal due to too many claims. They would renew, but at an insane amount of $$ per year.
Principally that was wrong, but as a business decision I get it.
Fortunately my vehicle is paid off for several years, so after this, I took insurance with another company with a one-way policy. That solved the immediate issue, thinking I would eventually take full coverage on a newer car 4-5 years down the road.

Nearly 6 months in, someone t-boned me (my second t-bone experience). Person was clearly in the wrong and my car was fixed, but reset my ability to get full-coverage clock back another 5 years.
As a "silver lining", I am way more careful driving now and expect the worst out of literally everyone around me - give more space to people and anticipate random lane jumping at all moments. It can be quite stressful, but is necessary when driving in the greater Montreal area. As far as defensive driving goes, I think my game is way better now.

My problem is, that 2018 S4s are still too much for me to pay cash for. :) So, I would be financing at least some of it - which from my understanding requires me to be fully covered.
Even if I could pay it full in cash, I would not be comfortable with one-way insurance with that car. And, I'm getting too impatient to wait.

Can I use my wife's good name to take out an insurance policy and be full covered under her, even though I would be by far the primary driver?
She has not personally had a policy for 16-18ish years, and has always been covered as a second under my insurance since we were married over 15 years ago.

Anybody out there in the broker/insurance business that could educate me on our best tactic, or am I forced to resign to either being more patient or buying something I am comfortable covering under a one-way policy?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.