Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Complaint system

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-05-2019 08:12 AM #1
      Rockhead261 seems to have it out for me. Dunno who he/she is, don't really care. Just annoyed to see a mod with ban powers use them so unevenly. I posted a picture that had a middle finger and got banned for 10 days. I see pictures with swear words all over the forums, middle fingers and other gestures. No bans for them. I'd like someone to explain why I got banned yet others don't. It seems like selective enforcement, it seems unfair, it seems targeted.

Yes I was warned for posting a picture with a swear word in it months ago but this seems far more personal. I've been a member her for a long time and pretty much stick to the rules. I'm curious if someone is targeting me, did the same member report all my posts that resulted in warning and ban? I can agree with the warning for the swear word picture, I get that. But a middle finger? Really?

So yeah, some.kind of complaint system or follow up would be great. I get notice I'm banned and have zero ways to appeal? Consider this my appeal.
      signatures are annoying, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Global Moderator Rockhead261's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '15 Grand Cherokee HA 3.6, '11 Outback 3.6R
      01-05-2019 10:18 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Rockhead261 seems to have it out for me. Dunno who he/she is, don't really care. Just annoyed to see a mod with ban powers use them so unevenly. I posted a picture that had a middle finger and got banned for 10 days. I see pictures with swear words all over the forums, middle fingers and other gestures. No bans for them. I'd like someone to explain why I got banned yet others don't. It seems like selective enforcement, it seems unfair, it seems targeted.

Yes I was warned for posting a picture with a swear word in it months ago but this seems far more personal. I've been a member her for a long time and pretty much stick to the rules. I'm curious if someone is targeting me, did the same member report all my posts that resulted in warning and ban? I can agree with the warning for the swear word picture, I get that. But a middle finger? Really?

So yeah, some.kind of complaint system or follow up would be great. I get notice I'm banned and have zero ways to appeal? Consider this my appeal.
      Good morning. I'd be more than happy to explain the moderation/ban process.

First, thank you for acknowledging that you were indeed warned regarding pictures with swear words. Yes, I understand the general levity of the thread and the fact that the "finger" is not written profanity, we're all (or mostly) adults, etc. I'm sure you recall the last time (just a few months back) you were told outright that it was your last chance to refrain:

You did this a couple of years ago and you were warned then, so you know posting pics with profanity is a violation. I'll be blunt - do it again and you'll either lose the ability to post attachments or get banned.

Are we cool?
      It's not "personal". You're not being "targeted". Nobody "has it out" for you. I do follow up on users whom I warn to make sure things are going as designed. Sure, it's annoying when I see warnings go unheeded and I have to take action multiple times to get someone's attention, however it's not always the case; most users take the warning in stride and move on, never to pop up on the radar again. Some even send a PM to apologize, explain it was a bad day, etc. That's fine. But when a user is warned very recently and then tries to sneak one through, action must be taken. There is a three-strike rule. The ten day ban you got was discretionary, largely due to your seniority and overall standing here. You could have easily been given a full ban.

Mods communicate and ask/give advice from/to one another. We are all pretty much aware of who is being dealt with at any given time. I have been doing this for a while now and can attest that this system helps treat everyone fairly, but please note, fairly does not mean equally.

This is also a big place. Many sub-forums can go on completely off-topic ranting flame-wars for days without anyone noticing, so long as nothing gets reported and no pesky mods stick their noses in. When those threads eventually pop up on the radar they are usually just closed or removed without any punitive action, since it would likely result in scores of users being tossed. Sure, some users abuse the "report" button, but the mods are well aware of that practice and will ignore spurious reports. Again, it's a big place. The mods take care of what we can, but like you, we don't get compensated for our contributions here. It's a community in every sense of the word.

I hope this helps.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-05-2019 12:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
      Good morning. I'd be more than happy to explain the moderation/ban process.

First, thank you for acknowledging that you were indeed warned regarding pictures with swear words. Yes, I understand the general levity of the thread and the fact that the "finger" is not written profanity, we're all (or mostly) adults, etc. I'm sure you recall the last time (just a few months back) you were told outright that it was your last chance to refrain:

It's not "personal". You're not being "targeted". Nobody "has it out" for you. I do follow up on users whom I warn to make sure things are going as designed. Sure, it's annoying when I see warnings go unheeded and I have to take action multiple times to get someone's attention, however it's not always the case; most users take the warning in stride and move on, never to pop up on the radar again. Some even send a PM to apologize, explain it was a bad day, etc. That's fine. But when a user is warned very recently and then tries to sneak one through, action must be taken. There is a three-strike rule. The ten day ban you got was discretionary, largely due to your seniority and overall standing here. You could have easily been given a full ban.

Mods communicate and ask/give advice from/to one another. We are all pretty much aware of who is being dealt with at any given time. I have been doing this for a while now and can attest that this system helps treat everyone fairly, but please note, fairly does not mean equally.

This is also a big place. Many sub-forums can go on completely off-topic ranting flame-wars for days without anyone noticing, so long as nothing gets reported and no pesky mods stick their noses in. When those threads eventually pop up on the radar they are usually just closed or removed without any punitive action, since it would likely result in scores of users being tossed. Sure, some users abuse the "report" button, but the mods are well aware of that practice and will ignore spurious reports. Again, it's a big place. The mods take care of what we can, but like you, we don't get compensated for our contributions here. It's a community in every sense of the word.

I hope this helps.
      Like everything i read on the internet i take this with a grain of salt. It doesn't take me more than a few minutes to find any manner of forum violations in just about any thread in the most popular forums. I've posted middle finger pictures probably dozens of times and never had any mod take issue with them. I've seen others post pictures of middle fingers hundreds of times and never seen anyone be bothered by them. I can honestly say that i did not think a middle finger was violating the forum rules, period. If you are expecting an apology, that won't be happening as i feel i did nothing wrong. I do feel like you, or at someone's request, have targeted me and that both the warning given in May of 2018 and the Ban in December came from the targeted action by yourself or as proxy. Maybe i'm wrong, but the timing of the warning and ban seems to coincide with one specific member of this forum taking issue with me and that seems extremely coincidental. Not to mention i received a ban while others do the same or worse and get nothing? All i ask is that if someone has an issue and reports my behavior someone other than you handles it.
      signatures are annoying, right?