Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Cincy 20!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      05-13-2019 07:59 AM #126
      Soooooo.........

Are you still gonna make it?
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      85 Scirocco
      05-13-2019 10:20 AM #127
      Of course! I don't need the heater core for Cincy! Otherwise it's good to go.

I may re-attempt the heater core next weekend, maybe I'll try to find a big knife to cut the silicone.

Vehicles
      things broken
      05-13-2019 12:21 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      *Laughs like Nelson* "HAAA haaaa!"

Oh wait, that's good, you get to hang with us!
      Well, on a side note, the AirBnb forced me to wander outside Moraine and into the town of Miamisburg, and a bunch of us had a fine Mexican meal in town instead of eating subway.

Also, Bear Creek Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post
      So I had an alternator swap go REALLY WRONG this weekend. My old one worked fine, but the bearings had a lot of play and I didn't want that to bite me on the way to Cincy.

<snip>

CARNAGECARNAGECARNAGE

</snip>

So the new alternator works great!
      Wow, what a journey! Glad it worked out (?) ok.

I'm still down for the count without a pulley, but two are coming in today and I think I might have two other spares from Daun and another Vortexer if that doesn't work out. I kinda want some shakedown runs first!

1981 Scirocco 5MT
      2017 Golf Alltrack 4MO 6MT

Philadelphia, PA

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      05-13-2019 03:22 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post
      BUT WAIT - that stupid pipe that connects the peace pipe to the heater hose was turning into rusty coral. ARG! HEATER CORE TIME! See this is a factory non-A/C car, so the heater core has this cute door you just slide it right out all easy, right? WRONG! You have to remove the bolts attaching the heater box to the cowl to get enough room to clear the pedals. Some ******* PO siliconed the heater box to the cowl! So that's now a project for another day.
      Seems to me I saw a writeup years and years ago about it was easier to cut a hole in the side of the heater core box and remove the core that way but... I dunno. It was a loooooong time ago and I'm old.

Vehicles
      05-13-2019 03:28 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Well, on a side note, the AirBnb forced me to wander outside Moraine and into the town of Miamisburg, and a bunch of us had a fine Mexican meal in town instead of eating subway.

Also, Bear Creek Donuts!
      I live here and have never heard of Bear Creek Donuts. Considering I was craving a donut all weekend, I may need to remedy this situation.

Also as an FYI, our normal weekend breakfast joint as of late is just across the river in West Carrollton. https://www.facebook.com/HollysHomeCooking/

7. Member
      Vehicles
      87 16v Scirocco, 01 Civic 2dr, 91 MR2 na/at for Jana, 92 Celica GT 'vert, 00 RC51
      05-13-2019 04:00 PM #131
      Sign us up! We are excited, Jana and I!

Duralast AT Cabby starter (in box) is earmarked for you at $50

So (2) Samba {website} guys (one 3.5 hrs North and one 2,000 miles West, L A!) wanting me to separate fronts - no way - Jana and I are happy to bring a lot this time (fondly recalling a dashboard sale to a Canadian at 2011 Cincy)

)
      So I think the large variety of Scirocco II (primarily) stuff we are bringing - including lots of "stocking stuffers" for those in the cheap seats will have attendees "debating expenditures"

May even bring (2) mini Sciroccos (1:43 Conrads in boxes)... all good stuff to fondle,haggle (think Monty Python) and buy ... instead of clicking a mouse on Ebay!

wish we were driving the Rocco (17th!) or even the Kia in this pic (4th Cabby we got Jana)

Vehicles
      things broken
      05-15-2019 10:29 AM #132
      Ladies and gents, the Green Bean is BACK IN ACTION!

Got a set of three pulleys from Twin City VW Parts down in Tennessee and reinstalled everything last night. Brian was awesome, and I highly recommend the company. He even sent me a G60 pulley, which is lighter than the aluminum Mk3 pulleys when I convert to an ABF serpentine setup.

Multimeter confirmed that I have 13.75v at the battery while idling. I had to cobble together some parts for the tension rod, but Gordy had shipped me a bunch of spare bolts when he sent the spares from Oregon, so everything looks pretty solid.

I also tracked down a bad fuse that had my brake lights and hazards inoperable, which has been corrected. I still have to trace the lack of reverse lights but to be fair, I haven't checked the reverse light switch on the transmission yet.

On a not-so-good note, while I was testing my lights, I sat in the driver's seat with a small screwdriver in my back pocket and tore a hole in my (formerly) perfect front seats.

I hate stupidity like that.

So, does anyone have a good product or procedure that they like for a flexible seat repair?
      1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA

Vehicles
      05-15-2019 08:48 PM #133
      Ladies and gents, the Green Bean is BACK IN ACTION!
      This makes me very happy!

And in other news - we have a Cincy Sign-Up Page!

http://w8nci.templinelectronics.com/...gistration.asp

Vehicles
      things broken
      05-15-2019 09:40 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdaun View Post
      this makes me very happy!

And in other news - we have a cincy sign-up page!

Woooooooooooooo!
      1981 Scirocco 5MT

Philadelphia, PA

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Scirocco S, '82 Zender Scirocco, '59 Karmann Ghia Convertible
      05-15-2019 10:45 PM #135
      There's not a 'Driving a Kia, Towing a SCIROCCO!' category ?

This makes me very happy!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2019 08:38 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by tuiterwyk View Post
      There's not a 'Driving a Kia, Towing a SCIROCCO!' category ?
      That is done often. You can park your Scirocco with the others and leave the Mothership with the Kias. That is, if you're weak and can't put an engine in in two weeks

Done!

I sat in the driver's seat with a small screwdriver in my back pocket and tore a hole in my (formerly) perfect front seats.
      We've all done isht like that. Chin up: Ufcking up while doing stuff is waaay better than not doing anything at all.

IMO, don't attempt a repair from the outside. Remove the cover to take tension off the torn spot, reapproximate the tear perfectly using duct tape on the outer surface, use shoo goo to glue a scrap of cloth-backed pleather (glue it cloth side to cloth side), and put a weight on the repair for 24 hours to keep it flat until it cures. There will be a scar but unless someone knows where it is they won't discern it.
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      05-16-2019 09:24 AM #137
      Did you learn that in medical school Eric??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      05-16-2019 09:31 AM #138
      Anyone using Life 360 or some other cross platform phone tracking app that we can all connect to?

Might be fun to see where everyone is as we're driving up

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2019 12:41 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmyspirits View Post
      Did you learn that in medical school Eric?
      Nah, everything important you learn in the garage.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      05-17-2019 02:10 PM #140
      Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05-17-2019 03:34 PM #141
      I don't even have single piston in my short block yet and my replacement turbo CHRA is a week out.
      I suck!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      87 16v Scirocco, 01 Civic 2dr, 91 MR2 na/at for Jana, 92 Celica GT 'vert, 00 RC51
      05-18-2019 07:18 AM #142
      ... man I wish I could bring "17" .... shyte shyte shyte!

supposed to go to my mechanic this morning (working on S2's for 29 years does not make one a mechanic)
      - to verify/see if indeed my oil leak is the dam Chinese oil pan I cheaped out on!
      (thanks Dremel - 19 of 20 holes needed modified while installing - on and off at least 19 times lots of fun kiddees!)

ANYone have a good ol' German oil pan I can barter for or buy .... bring it!

Vehicles
      '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg, '86 Scirocco, '88 cabby, '73 MGB-GT, '73 International Travelall
      05-18-2019 08:52 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by janacab View Post
      ANYone have a good ol' German oil pan I can barter for or buy .... bring it!
      Depends, does the 1.6L pan fit the same?
      "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."

Carl Sagan 1934-1996

Vehicles
      85 Scirocco
      05-18-2019 09:29 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by J. Daniel View Post
      I don't even have single piston in my short block yet and my replacement turbo CHRA is a week out.
      I suck!
      There's still time! Marathon Memorial Day weekend!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2019 10:55 PM #145
      1.5 years after buying Scirocco Valdez ... told by younger last owner "I will include an oil pan gasket w/ the car" (he never did)

Finally got her on a lift - seems the oil cooler flange is the culprit - ordered one ...

well she also leaks at spark plugs and the camseal ... she has issues (as all pretty German girls do!)

I don't think she is gonna make it

Vehicles
      85 Scirocco
      Yesterday 12:30 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by janacab View Post
      1.5 years after buying Scirocco Valdez ... told by younger last owner "I will include an oil pan gasket w/ the car" (he never did)

Finally got her on a lift - seems the oil cooler flange is the culprit - ordered one ...

well she also leaks at spark plugs and the camseal ... she has issues (as all pretty German girls do!)

I don't think she is gonna make it
      Oil leaks? Bah! Old cars leak TONS of oil! If you're car is not constantly covered in an oily film, are you even driving it?

In fact, when I pulled mine in the garage yesterday, there was a 3" diameter pool within 5 minutes! Turns out I had pinched the valve cover gasket near the cam sprocket last time I was in there. I used a bit of RTV to put the poor mashed piece back over the cam cap, and put it back together and drive 40 miles. It's fine! I'll replace that in a few days.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 12:49 PM #147
      ... you're right ... I remember about a decade ago ... being behind a gorgeous (red, what other color is there?) Ferrari from the early 70's ... on two wheels myself and effortlessly staying with his 12cyls and yet backing off cuz he stunk - blue smoke trailing from him all the way down the PCH near Malibu

sometimes I feel like I can return to my late 20's and drive from Indiana to California like I did at leasr three times in my trusty 180k mile 83.5 ... I miss my 8v (s) .... like Ferraris, 16vs are a bit overrated

do real Scirocco owners pass on AAA or is it just me? ... stories of crazy tow bills and a holiday (July 4th!) spent with a stranger (tow driver - Alb, NM, circa 1998)

looks like Jana and I, the capitalistic piggies we are, will stick with our rental Kia pickup and swing $3 nitrous balloons outta the back hatch

WAIT! that was Alpine Valley, WI with the Dead, Dylan, and Petty ... a long strange time ago!

SciroccoFest Twenty ... here we come! Lot of stuff for sale cheap .... too much for one Scirocco

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456