VWVortex.com - Starter Wiring
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Starter Wiring

1. Junior Member
      01-07-2019 10:06 AM #1
      Welp, once again Shikiera quit on me and hasn't been driven since I went on fall break 😞. Decided to swap the starter, but like an idiot, I didn't take any pics before I pulled it. I got everything back together, and when I put the battery in; it wont even turn to accessory. I made it worse than before 😑. Before it died on me it would at least crank, leading me to believe all along it was a bad ground. In anger I decided to just let her sit.

Bottom line is that I need help with the wiring for the starter. I checked the Bentley and came up with nothing.

Thanks

-J

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      85 Scirocco
      01-07-2019 11:22 AM #2
      What year Scirocco is your car? (you can edit your profile so it shows up under your name if you'd like!)

Most Sciroccos have just two connections - the big one that goes to the battery, and the small one to the solenoid.

16v cars have an extra wire that goes to a similar terminal to the solenoid wire that powers something to do with the cold start injector I think.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco 16v, '10 Insight L13A
      01-07-2019 07:29 PM #3
      The starter on my Mk1 has three connections:

Big fat wire to battery
      Red/Blk wire to ignition switch
      Blk wire to Coil
      Remind me to double check my diagnoses

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      01-07-2019 11:01 PM #4
      @Timbob

It's a 1986 16v. I assume both positive and negative cables from the battery (?) go on the nut. It's the spade connectors that I'm trying to figure out. There are 3 wires, 2 red/black and one black. The black connector fell off ever since I've owned the car. I'm nervous about getting them mixed up.

The main problem is that I cant even get the car to accessory. I think I might've messed up big when the battery terminals and connectors touched in the wrong order. However, the battery is charged and connected, turn the key to prime the fuel pump and I get nothing. Oh well, nothing a little scouring in the Bentley cant fix I hope.

01-07-2019 11:39 PM #5
      Info Dump:

(Cabbies are like Mk1 Sciroccos, except when they aren't...)
      http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Inst...startRelay.pdf

Load Reduction Circuit (Again, Cabbie related, but still good info...)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...gnition-Switch

Page 3 of a PDF w/ the Starter terminals labeled (15/30/50)
      http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco...ensor/g87a.pdf

Aha!: This link has a Pik'tur as well as an explanation:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r)&p=110356490

(Sorry for the seemingly random Google-Salad: I'm goofing around at Starbucks...)

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco DLX
      01-15-2019 10:44 AM #6
      Do you have the new Bosch SR33X Gear Reduction starter shown above, or the older (larger/heavier) Bosch SR33X? That one can jam if the end bushing wears out.
      The old SR33X is bigger with the 4 huge screws for the Field Magnets.

According to this diagram, that black wire has nothing to do with the engine turning over, but needs to be connected to 15a or it will not start.
      16V wiring diagram: Cold Start Valve fired by the starter solenoid. Doesn't have to be. My 8v the ignition switch 50 does the same thing.
      (that R/BK wire goes to the ECU)

Last edited by MacGruber; 02-09-2019 at 09:50 PM.

01-15-2019 04:25 PM #7
      (ps- two days ago I replaced an 89' Ford F150's old style Starter w/ a model that was listed for a '94- but the new one has PMGR tech; Permanent Magnet/Gear Reduction..., big ol' motor [4.9l] fires right up like a top.)

Vehicles
      '86 Scirocco 16v
      02-07-2019 05:44 PM #8
      Wooo boy its been a while!

Thanks for the google salad TBerk, it was really good

Doubled checked all the wiring, cranked a few times to get pressure into the new lines, and VROOM started right up

Got some little gremlins to take care of next, especially since i messed up the transmission linkages, so now the car wont shift into reverse

Other than that, a little fuel leak and a non working radiator fan is all i need to sort next. hope to see everyone at Cincy 20!
      RUN-16V