VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Capable Luxurious SUVs?

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-18-2019 07:58 AM #201
      Totally understand the GX negatives.

Just find a good 2014+ WK2 like Smooremin and save the cash for a few mods vs. new.

Also, why V6 when

Last edited by Sporin; 10-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-18-2019 11:38 AM #202
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Totally understand the GX negatives.

Just find a good 2014+ WK2 like Smooremin and save the cash for a few mods vs. new.

Also, why V6 when

Because dat 5.7 has 16 spark plugs, man. I will say, though - at least the newer 5.7s don't require 30k plug intervals anymore.

Gas won't be cheap forever, either.

But it would be :neat: to have a V8 for once.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-18-2019 11:47 AM #203
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      Because dat 5.7 has 16 spark plugs, man. I will say, though - at least the newer 5.7s don't require 30k plug intervals anymore.
      So?

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Dodg...1409982&sr=8-3

$73.

Gas won't be cheap forever, either.
      That's fair, if you drive a lot.

But it would be :neat: to have a V8 for once.
      This is the right answer though. I need to get one one of these days.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

10-18-2019 12:20 PM #204
      Alright so...

I need some honest input here.

I've been in the Wrongler for 10 months. Love it to death with the exception of one thing: Muh roof won't stop leaking. I've had it in twice now; I'm just losing patience, and now that it's out of warranty, I'll have a fight on my hands. I'm ready for something with a gosh darn properly affixed roof.

I'm torn between the T4R TRD Offroad and the WK2 Trailhawk with the V6. Need something with a hitch that can tow the tiny camper, and some ground clearance for exploring things I should be exploring. T4R is wonderfully simple, proven, reliable, but dated AF. WK2 has aged quite gracefully, and has a much more modern 8-speed auto (and FCA can properly tune that thing, too).

My one biggest fear with the WK2 is the air suspension. So far so good with yours? Comfort is good? Handling is good? No errors?
      Half-way relevant feedback.

I have an '18 ZR2, my wife has an '18 WK2 Trailhawk V6 that replaced a '15 V6 Cherokee Trailhawk. I considered a 4Runner TRD Pro as the alternative to the ZR2 and one was briefly in the running for my wife's car until she settled on the Jeep. I don't get too involved with my wife's car decision making - but will suggest alternatives she may like or nudge her toward a trim level or for/against various options.

Based on our experience thus far - I regret not pushing a bit in the direction of the 4Runner or some other alternative.

Obviously everyone's experience with a given vehicle can be all over the place - our's was so-so with the Cherokee and has been quite bad with the WK2.

Good stuff:
      - Nice driving car, it eats up miles on the highway, and soaks up bumps or stop-and-go traffic around town. It is quiet and pretty comfortable.
      - ours lives between 7000-8000 of elevation and never wants for power when running correctly*. It is more 'eager' feeling and returns ~3mpg or so better than my ZR2 (gas).
      - Whatever version of UConnect they're on now is pretty slick. It is fast and responsive, it looks good, its intuitive - just overall well done. I think my wife complained early on that it locked her out for an update or two; but no issues beyond that.
      - Radio is good, climate control is really effective and works quickly, heated (seats and wheel) and cooled seats are nice.
      - The size is pretty spot on - good capacity, good visibility, 2nd row is good for adults, we can travel with both our large dogs and luggage/supplies.
      - My wife is a born/raised Californian and it has gotten her through two Colorado winters - one mile and one quite snowy - without any difficulties*

So-So stuff:
      - I really like the bolstering on the seat backs; comfortable and supportive, but the seat base is lacking. It has no thigh support and the foam is quite soft.
      - Body motions aren't very well controlled - kind of a dumb SUV complaint but what makes it a nice highway cruiser makes it half-way sloppy on mountain roads; more so when it is loaded up. Some of this may go to the OE tire choice.
      - Dealers seem to be hit or miss - the selling dealer is incompetent in every facet; we ended up finding another dealer that has been great to work with on the service side and I wish I'd given them the initial sale. They haven't nailed every issue on the first go; but it feels like their hands may be a bit tied by the repair procedures or what is authorized.
      - UConnect is great; cluster seems a generation or so behind the head unit portion. No concern here at all - but the Cherokee has more modern graphics and is more configurable - the center screen and the cluster just seem a bit mis-matched.

Bad stuff:
      - Ours has had quite a few problems and is currently DOA in our garage and has a date with a Jeep Roadside Assistance flatbed this morning morning for a failed air suspension; not our first reliability rodeo.
      - With ~24,000 miles on the clock it feels far more 'worn' than it should. Apples to Potatoes but my ZR2 drives and rides much better and much closer to the day I picked it up and it has half-again as many miles and has lived quite a bit harder life.
      - The Cherokee before this felt really tired and sloppy after 4 years and ~50K; I kind of wrote that off to it being kind of a built up small car platform that was maybe over-tasked. The WK2 isn't nearly as beaten up; but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with a perceptible level of wear in 24K miles.
      - Least reliable car either my wife or I have ever owned. It has more dealer visits than probably our last 5-6 cars combined. On the flip side, the dealer who services it has made it as painless as they can manage.
      - In fairness we've just had the first problem that has left it stranded; the rest would let you limp it to service at a minimum.

Issues:
      - Since 12,000 miles or so the car would randomly lose power - it felt like it was pulling huge amounts of timing or almost like fuel starvation. This would sometimes be accompanied by a Start/Stop system disabled warning - but never a check engine light or more urgent message. Sometimes the car would feel very sluggish - sometimes you'd be unable to merge with highway traffic or exceed 45mph or so.
      - The dealer couldn't ever duplicate the issue - the solution was to power cycle the car and most times it would drive normally after the reboot.
      - This issue began to happen more and more frequently - finally my wife was able to drive it into the dealer and leave it running while it was happening - they noticed the issue immediately on the test drive - but could not pull any codes and again no check engine light.
      - We left the car with them and a cam position sensor was replaced.
      - A week or so later the issue resumed. The other cam position sensor was replaced.
      - I believe they've now replaced the sensors 3 times in total. The issue hasn't come up in the last 2000 miles or so - may be behind us.
      - My wife went to start the Jeep and head to work on Tuesday and was greeted by some loud grinding noises and the entire car shaking apparently. No warning/check engine lights - just the ugly noises, vibration and strong smell of gasoline.
      - I started the Jeep that night to see what the noises were - neither the grinding or vibration happened but the air suspension is either in 'park' mode or somewhere below it and refuses to lift the truck. Again - no warning lights or messages unless you let the car idle for a few minutes and then it simply notes that the system must cool before being adjusted.

There are probably a million of these on the road that have had nothing more than fuel refills and oil changes; but ours hasn't been the finest.

I phoned Jeep after the air suspension issue to see if there was a process for logging the dealer visits as the days out of service and our general lack of confidence in the car are both piling up - the case rep looked at the history and asked if we'd like to pursue a buy-back - not something I would have thought would be on the table - but something we'll likely pursue if Jeep is open to the idea. It's time in our garage is limited one way or another at this stage.

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-18-2019 07:31 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by bRett 32 View Post

I have an '18 ZR2, my wife has an '18 WK2 Trailhawk V6 that replaced a '15 V6 Cherokee Trailhawk. I considered a 4Runner TRD Pro as the alternative to the ZR2 and one was briefly in the running for my wife's car until she settled on the Jeep. I don't get too involved with my wife's car decision making - but will suggest alternatives she may like or nudge her toward a trim level or for/against various options.

Based on our experience thus far - I regret not pushing a bit in the direction of the 4Runner or some other alternative.

Obviously everyone's experience with a given vehicle can be all over the place - our's was so-so with the Cherokee and has been quite bad with the WK2.

Good stuff:
      - Nice driving car, it eats up miles on the highway, and soaks up bumps or stop-and-go traffic around town. It is quiet and pretty comfortable.
      - ours lives between 7000-8000 of elevation and never wants for power when running correctly*. It is more 'eager' feeling and returns ~3mpg or so better than my ZR2 (gas).
      - Whatever version of UConnect they're on now is pretty slick. It is fast and responsive, it looks good, its intuitive - just overall well done. I think my wife complained early on that it locked her out for an update or two; but no issues beyond that.
      - Radio is good, climate control is really effective and works quickly, heated (seats and wheel) and cooled seats are nice.
      - The size is pretty spot on - good capacity, good visibility, 2nd row is good for adults, we can travel with both our large dogs and luggage/supplies.
      - My wife is a born/raised Californian and it has gotten her through two Colorado winters - one mile and one quite snowy - without any difficulties*

So-So stuff:
      - I really like the bolstering on the seat backs; comfortable and supportive, but the seat base is lacking. It has no thigh support and the foam is quite soft.
      - Body motions aren't very well controlled - kind of a dumb SUV complaint but what makes it a nice highway cruiser makes it half-way sloppy on mountain roads; more so when it is loaded up. Some of this may go to the OE tire choice.
      - Dealers seem to be hit or miss - the selling dealer is incompetent in every facet; we ended up finding another dealer that has been great to work with on the service side and I wish I'd given them the initial sale. They haven't nailed every issue on the first go; but it feels like their hands may be a bit tied by the repair procedures or what is authorized.
      - UConnect is great; cluster seems a generation or so behind the head unit portion. No concern here at all - but the Cherokee has more modern graphics and is more configurable - the center screen and the cluster just seem a bit mis-matched.

Bad stuff:
      - Ours has had quite a few problems and is currently DOA in our garage and has a date with a Jeep Roadside Assistance flatbed this morning morning for a failed air suspension; not our first reliability rodeo.
      - With ~24,000 miles on the clock it feels far more 'worn' than it should. Apples to Potatoes but my ZR2 drives and rides much better and much closer to the day I picked it up and it has half-again as many miles and has lived quite a bit harder life.
      - The Cherokee before this felt really tired and sloppy after 4 years and ~50K; I kind of wrote that off to it being kind of a built up small car platform that was maybe over-tasked. The WK2 isn't nearly as beaten up; but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with a perceptible level of wear in 24K miles.
      - Least reliable car either my wife or I have ever owned. It has more dealer visits than probably our last 5-6 cars combined. On the flip side, the dealer who services it has made it as painless as they can manage.
      - In fairness we've just had the first problem that has left it stranded; the rest would let you limp it to service at a minimum.

Issues:
      - Since 12,000 miles or so the car would randomly lose power - it felt like it was pulling huge amounts of timing or almost like fuel starvation. This would sometimes be accompanied by a Start/Stop system disabled warning - but never a check engine light or more urgent message. Sometimes the car would feel very sluggish - sometimes you'd be unable to merge with highway traffic or exceed 45mph or so.
      - The dealer couldn't ever duplicate the issue - the solution was to power cycle the car and most times it would drive normally after the reboot.
      - This issue began to happen more and more frequently - finally my wife was able to drive it into the dealer and leave it running while it was happening - they noticed the issue immediately on the test drive - but could not pull any codes and again no check engine light.
      - A week or so later the issue resumed. The other cam position sensor was replaced.
      - I believe they've now replaced the sensors 3 times in total. The issue hasn't come up in the last 2000 miles or so - may be behind us.
      - My wife went to start the Jeep and head to work on Tuesday and was greeted by some loud grinding noises and the entire car shaking apparently. No warning/check engine lights - just the ugly noises, vibration and strong smell of gasoline.
      - I started the Jeep that night to see what the noises were - neither the grinding or vibration happened but the air suspension is either in 'park' mode or somewhere below it and refuses to lift the truck. Again - no warning lights or messages unless you let the car idle for a few minutes and then it simply notes that the system must cool before being adjusted.

There are probably a million of these on the road that have had nothing more than fuel refills and oil changes; but ours hasn't been the finest.

I phoned Jeep after the air suspension issue to see if there was a process for logging the dealer visits as the days out of service and our general lack of confidence in the car are both piling up - the case rep looked at the history and asked if we'd like to pursue a buy-back - not something I would have thought would be on the table - but something we'll likely pursue if Jeep is open to the idea. It's time in our garage is limited one way or another at this stage.
      Hence why I think the T4R is the right vehicle. Simple, dead nuts reliable with a proven anti-depreciation record.

Just gotta keep my eyes open for a Premium with KDSS. I'm not giving up my meat heaters.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      10-18-2019 10:40 PM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      That's fair, if you drive a lot.
      V8 is within one or two MPG of the V6. Gimme the 8 all day.

Quote Originally Posted by bRett 32 View Post

Good stuff:

So-So stuff:

Bad stuff:

Issues:

What a great post. Sorry to hear taht yours has given you so many issues. I would be much less favoring of mine if the same issues happened to ours.

I will say, I disagree with your sentiment of how it feels really worn down after 25k miles. Ours is now at 40k and feels nice and tight. But ours has also been not nearly as issue plagued as yours, so maybe we got a good one *knocks on wood* *shrug*

Still a great post and I am grateful you added it to this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-18-2019 11:33 PM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post

What a great post. Sorry to hear taht yours has given you so many issues. I would be much less favoring of mine if the same issues happened to ours.

I will say, I disagree with your sentiment of how it feels really worn down after 25k miles. Ours is now at 40k and feels nice and tight. But ours has also been not nearly as issue plagued as yours, so maybe we got a good one *knocks on wood* *shrug*

It seems that Chrysler has always had the issue of the quintessential "Built on a Friday" vehicles that end up with all the problems possible, condensed into one vehicle. Then there are the other 80% of buyers who report no issues at all.

Vehicles
      10-18-2019 11:45 PM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      It seems that Chrysler has always had the issue of the quintessential "Built on a Friday" vehicles that end up with all the problems possible, condensed into one vehicle. Then there are the other 80% of buyers who report no issues at all.
      Such an American thing
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

10-19-2019 12:03 AM #209

My experiences echo yours. I’ve been in many a high mile WK2 and they didn’t seem worn out at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-19-2019 02:49 AM #210
      Such an American thing
      Certain eras of Ford and GM have had some issues, no doubt, but Chrysler is definitely consistent across the decades with issues like that.

The good Jeeps I have encountered were pretty good, but the bad Jeeps were very very bad.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      SIENNA / XC90 / IS300
      10-19-2019 01:51 PM #211
      Hence why I think the T4R is the right vehicle. Simple, dead nuts reliable with a proven anti-depreciation record.

Just gotta keep my eyes open for a Premium with KDSS. I'm not giving up my meat heaters.
      That is my thought too, have test driven a bunch of these recently. Going with a 2020 T4R, same spec in February.
      2002 IS300 Manual | 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2015 Sienna Ltd AWD

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-19-2019 01:55 PM #212
      Quote Originally Posted by mrksingh View Post
      That is my thought too, have test driven a bunch of these recently. Going with a 2020 T4R, same spec in February.
      I drove one with KDSS last night - very well behaved. Just a bit boring and sedated compared to driving the Jeep.

I need to remind myself that boring is good for reliability.
      Last edited by Zillon; 10-19-2019 at 02:04 PM.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      SIENNA / XC90 / IS300
      10-19-2019 02:08 PM #213
      I drove one with KDSS last night - very well behaved. Just a bit boring and sedated compared to driving the Jeep.

I had a 1999 T4R in the past that we kept in the family from new for 17 years, never had a major problem with it. The simplicity is what is driving me to the 4Runner, tried, tested and true.

I am tired of dumping money into my XC90, this new vehicle needs to last me 10+ years and the T4R is one I am confident will!

I plan to eventually get a few visual mods like new wheels, a minor lift, and a TRD PRO grille, but that will be it.
      2002 IS300 Manual | 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2015 Sienna Ltd AWD

10-19-2019 07:24 PM #214

I don't want to hijack this thread with much more specific to our particular Jeep - but some updates and qualifications.

On the perceived wear and tear front - Our KL Cherokee TH was surprisingly worn at ~50K and I would maintain the WK2 also drove with a bit more slop 2 years in than I recall it driving when new but to nowhere near the extent of our prior Cherokee. The primary issue being some 'wander' in the steering and what felt like a bit more body motion over time. I should have clarified that a bit better - as well as the fact that I'm not the one driving the Jeep every day - but more on that front below.

On the V8 vs. V6 front: I fully agree the V8 is the better option. We have the V6 based on the deal available on our particular car and the fact that my wife had no real preference.

On the most recent repair front. The Jeep went in yesterday morning for the air suspension issue and was ready for pickup this morning. The air system is back and fully operational and the dealer replaced a number of other front end components while the car was in. The work order/summary they gave us doesn't have tons of detail - the compressor was replaced and the service writer noted a a couple of related parts that were also replaced. In the parts summary there is also a new control arm listed. Everything was under warranty as expected, but the advisor did note it would have been a ~$4900 repair otherwise. I made a comment about being half surprised they kept the compressor and other components in stock and he replied with 'oh yeah, of course' and then kind of swallowed whatever his follow up comment was going to be which felt like it was going to be something along the lines of 'we replace a lot of them'.

We have some friends in town who are thinking about moving to the area so we used the Jeep to show them around this afternoon and I have to say the repairs seem to not only have gotten the air suspension back on line but the steering feel and body control seem to be back in check.

I'm not sure if the air system has been struggling to maintain correct pressure for some time, had a slow leak, or there was an issue with a control arm bushing or ball joint up front but the repair/replacement parts seem to have it driving better than it has in quite some time. Fingers crossed we don't see the dealer for a while.

Relevant to the ownership discussion - the issue - especially on my wife's side - isn't disliking the car - it was trusting the car's reliability.

We'll see what happens in the near term, we have another ~11,000 miles of warranty to go so good or bad I think that will be the maximum this guy sticks with us.

10-19-2019 08:38 PM #215

I have driven a bunch of different varieties of 4runners.

Was DD back from the baseball game in my coworkers spacer lifted 2017 with bigger AT tires and lower offset wheels.

Certainly wasn't fast, but gave it a lot more character, and felt a lot more truck like then the boring Duellers that come stock. Who doesn't love the feeling of being able to hop a curb at a moment's notice?

Vehicles
      10-20-2019 12:33 AM #216
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      . Who doesn't love the feeling of being able to hop a curb at a moment's notice?

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-20-2019 12:36 AM #217
      :dat:

Curbs can't contain my enthusiasm.

Vehicles
      10-20-2019 02:59 PM #218
      Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr
      Potato pic

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-22-2019 01:55 AM #219
      So, I might be moving forward with a thing.

2019 with 15k miles through Vroom. Probably a terrible move.

But we’re gonna find out.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-22-2019 08:51 AM #220

Nice---that's my kind of move. Really dig the trailhawk. And the red. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      10-22-2019 11:07 AM #221

Yaaassss!!!

I have offically taken mine back over for winter. She will drive the A6. i went to fill it up yesterday and was reminded how nice it is to fill up with regular.

Does that thing got a Hemi?!

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-22-2019 08:23 PM #222
      Yaaassss!!!

I have offically taken mine back over for winter. She will drive the A6. i went to fill it up yesterday and was reminded how nice it is to fill up with regular.

Does that thing got a Hemi?!
      No Hemi, but it has meat heaters and coolers, Carplay, and can tow up to 6200 lbs if needed (towing the sub-2k glamper will be cake).

Comfort and MPGs were more important than brubs.

The red is also neat. Just hoping it shows up looking as good in person.

Vehicles
      10-22-2019 08:27 PM #223
      No Hemi, but it has meat heaters and coolers, Carplay, and can tow up to 6200 lbs if needed (towing the sub-2k glamper will be cake).

Comfort and MPGs were more important than brubs.

The red is also neat. Just hoping it shows up looking as good in person.

Vehicles
      10-24-2019 01:28 AM #224
      The only issue with the car, and it is something that just doesnt bother either of us, the Passenger rear tire presser sensor failed so it reads 0PSI. I have not taken the time to fix it, just have to check the pressure occasionally. I am sure either the full coverage warranty or the tire warranty would fix this, but, like whatever.
      So I finally just ordered the sensor. Now that I am driving it, it bothers me more than when I wasnt....

Should be fixed by next week.

Vehicles
      17 Tesla Model X, 13 RRS Supercharged, 08 Ferrari F430, 01 Porsche Boxster, 07 Touareg V10 TDI
      10-24-2019 02:12 PM #225
      Quote Originally Posted by IwannaGTI View Post

Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast